LoseIt May 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

LoseIt May 2013

72 degrees and sunny - what better reason to get out and walk at least 15 minutes on a lunch break?!  

Pingo, hoping your hip setback is temporary.  

I dipped into the chocolate cupcakes with buttercream frosting I made yesterday while they were still warm and the house smelled decadent.  Now, making up for those calories, lol.  Well, that's what it's about, right?  The LOG, not DEPRIVATION!!

Had lunch out on the patio and clearly got some vitamin D.  Yay for Spring!

As for weight, I've maintained exactly for the first time since hitting my goal, no loss, no gain for a whole month.  So, there we have it - only took me 4 months - who would have guessed?

How's everyone doing?  Allready?  KMM?  JC?  Pingo?  New folks coming out of hibernation?  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Re: LoseIt May 2013

In response to kargiver's comment:

72 degrees and sunny - what better reason to get out and walk at least 15 minutes on a lunch break?!  (end quote)

Great idea, except many workplaces do not allow employees to leave the building during their lunch breaks (in my experience) unless they want to punch out and take a deduction.

That being said, how about a treadmill?  Join a gym?  Walk around the neighborhood after dinner?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Really, Robin? Never heard that employees are not allowed to leave the building during their lunch break. Are these employees paid during their lunch break? If that is the case, it is only reasonable, they punch out and in.
    The norm is, if you have 45 minutes lunch break in an 8 hours work day, you are there for 8 hrs. and 45 minutes, doing whatever you like during your lunch break.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Employees are allowed 30 minutes for lunch which is deducted from an 8 1/2 hour work period,   9a-5:30p = 8.5 hours, they are paid for 8 hours and are allowed a 15 minute break per day to be taken separately from the lunch break.

They can be mandated to stay in the building/on grounds during these times. 

Of course, all kinds of loosey goosey stuff goes on...but the above is the norm approved by most unions.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That's unfortunate, but I think most folks can walk at lunch if they want, and every 15 - 20 minutes adds up.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Robin, I wouldn't want to work at a place like that for sure. But truthfully, they are not being deducted any pay. They are still being paid for an 8 hours workday. If they punch out and back in again w/i said 30 minutes, there are no way their pay can be deducted. On the other hand, if you exceed those 30 minutes, you should expect it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

deleted/ poster no longer cares to participate in this discussion

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good!

In response to Robin39's comment:

I will not go back and forth and participate in a nonsensical conversation.

Good try, though!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Starting off my cruise with the lowest, I have ever been. I have 3 pounds as a buffer. Nice!

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

One last comment,  I guess you folks have never worked in a medical facility and had to be available/overhead paged to return to the unit immediately if needed anytime during your 8 1/2 hour tour of duty, lunch or no lunch!

ETA:  In example "code blue", "code green", "code red", "code orange", "code yellow"...

Some healthcare professionals opt not to take a lunch break anyway (why bother).

BTW: This thread is about Loseit...

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Actually..there is some validity to what Robin states. At my day job ..staff is scheduled for an 8 hour day and we have what is considered a "working lunch"..which means we can take a break for lunch..but have to remain accessible and on the premises. This is how it has been for years..up until recently. I pitched a workplace fitness plan to the CEO of my company which involved encouraging people to go for short walks at lunch and using fitness balls instead of desk chairs for part of the day. Even at that..the office is so fast paced that most days no one has the kind of time to take for a 15 -20 minute walk.

That being said...there are a dozen reasons why employees can't or won't walk at work during lunch. Most of the people who work in my office won't go out and walk at lunch time because the neighborhood is not safe.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

My point was that with the arrival of warmer weather we should all be looking for ways to get out and move and enjoy it not just automatically stay in the winter ruts we all fall into.  I thought it went without saying that I meant to do so as possible and at your discretion.  Seriously.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Assuming others have interest in the LoseIt thread and keep it going, if anyone wants advice about the app and/or general weight and nutritional issues, I'll be lurking and answer questions as possible.  But, as far as initiating conversation, I'm hoping someone still using LoseIt (or other calorie counting app) to lose weight will do that - KMM?  JC?  Pingo (have you reached your ultimate goal?)? Icer?

best wishes, Losers!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    I am still using Loseit! even though I reached my goal plus a few more. I couldn't log on our cruise, but being on it for a few months now, I went by portion sizes. I was at the exact same weight ounce for ounce, the first time I stepped on the scale after we got back, as when I left.
    Loseit! rocks.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

GREAT JOB, PINGO!!!  Wow, talk about mindfulness and portion control - staying exatly the same weight post-vacation, CRUISE even. I'm so proud of you for that AND, of course, for MAKING YOUR GOAL+++.  Yahoo!! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

Great job!

I have not been on scale in about a month!  I also have been logging about 50-70% of the time.  I want to lose weight but still need that motivation!!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

What is your biggest obstacle to logging 100%, allready?  Maybe we can brainstorm together about ways to conquer it.  Logging everything is the key to success!  I hate to see you teetering on the edge of making this really work for you.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Allready, you can do it.
    What is it you think is keeping you from logging 100%? Time, not near a computer, too tired? When you see the pounds melting away, it gets easier and easier, and before you know, it becomes a habit. If you are away from your computer, use a small note book. I carry one with me at all times. Not just for Loseit!, but for jotting things down, I want to remember. It came in handy, when I first started on Loseit!

Kar, how is your mom doing? Has she reached her goal?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Great advice for allready, Pingo.  All so true.

thanks for asking about my mom. :)  she is doing great!  She is still losing but not at her goal yet.  I believe she'll be there in 4 - 5 months, and, like you told allready, as the pounds melt away she gets more and more encouraged.  She even bought clothes for a Summer vacation she found on sale that are too small having calculated that they WILL fit by then.  Log and lose, Baby!  I'm SO PROUD OF HER!!  She said "I can't because, because, because,..." for SO MANY YEARS and now she's happy and achieving her health goals. She even just signed up for a "senior weight training" seminar in her town.  Thanks, again, for asking, my friend.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

Hmmmmmmmmmm will you do it for me.  Oh and prepare my meals for me at least Mon-Friday:0

Obstacles.........  I am busy at work and although I do get around and am in meetings I do spend a lot of time on the computer when I get home I just don't want to go back on.  Also, if you remember my DH does a lot of cooking or we go out or do take out.

My plan now is to meal plan Mon-Friday and have my lunches and breakfast all set so very easy to log.  Dinner will be harder but I know I can do it.

Pingo, I would love for the pounds to melt off............. 

Thanks for the support.  Will log what I have for food right now!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You can jot everything down in a notebook that you eat during the day no matter how busy you are.  If you eat breakfast, lunch, dinner, and two snacks, how much time could it take?  Then, take 10 minutes and enter it at night. It takes a tad longer at first, but after you do it a couple of weeks you can just pluck your common foods and amounts (it saves your last amount chosen as the default of that food) off the "your foods" list in mere seconds per day.  Given DH cooks, would he be willing to spend a tad extra effort for a little while to write down what he puts into the dishes and then tell you how many cups it makes?  He probably only has no more than 10 basic things he does regularly, and once they are defined as recipes in LoseIt you're golden to measure and log.  If he's not willing to do that, search google for similar foods and calories. Sometimes you'll be off by +10%, other times off by -10%, and it will work out over time.

you can do this!! 100% logging is the only way your pounds will start melting off, too.

if you really don't want to approach weight loss this way, you can try something else.  My dad does Nutrisystem and is successful with it - no measuring, counting, logging - it's all done for you and delivered to your door!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Now that I've figured out Shutterfly and BDC for posting photos, here are my "before" and "after" shots since doing LoseIt.  You can see a blurry wedding photo on the dresser - that was my original goal.  The mirror shot was taken a couple of weeks ago at about 10 lbs under that.

And, I highly recommend the skort from Athleta in the "after."  Super comfy and easy to dress up or down.  I was taking the pic for my mom.  We share our shopping finds online since we are 500 miles away. :) 

Last Summer, 4th of July:

Two weeks ago:

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

WOW, Kar! So happy for you.
    But I must say, you really look like you need to loose some weight in the first picture. NOT!!!
    But the most important thing is, that YOU are comfortable, whatever you weigh.
    You look fantastic in your skort. I never had and would never wear one. They may be comfortable, but I just don't like the looks of them. The same goes for shorts for ladies up in age and oh, my - those Bermudas!!