Low Fat Ice Cream Chat

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Low Fat Ice Cream Chat

Good morning to all my chat friends:

I seem to be craving ice cream lately but would like to find something low fat that can be bought in the local grocery store.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

putt

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Low Fat Ice Cream Chat

Hi Putt,

I'm a big ice cream lover, but have switched to frozen yogurt, which I love almost as much. Plus it has the benefits of live cultures - which are good for you.

Two brands I would recommend are Hoods (particularly the chocolate), and Turkey Hill. Turkey Hill has no fat and I don't believe the Hoods does either. Edy's makes a yogurt blend that has 3 g. fat. Right now I'm enjoying T.H. Chocolate Cherry Cordial (100 calories - no fat). You do substitute sugar for no fat, about 13 g. Don't know how much sugar is in regular ice cream.

tt

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Low Fat Ice Cream Chat

Hi putt,
    I know I am not of much help here. But consider buying your own ice cream maker and make your own. It is not like the old days, when you needed lot and lots of salt and ice and had to crank it forever. The cost of the ice cream maker will earn itself in many times over. I have an electric Cuisinart with two bowls. You put the bowls in the freezer and it will always be ready, when your cravings happen. It takes about 24 hours to get the bowl cold enough.
    I do this all the time using low fat ingredients. My boys says that my peppermint candy ice cream - which I only make at Christmas time - is to die for. Little do they know, that is so low cal - it is not even funny. But I make many other flavors during the year. My French Vanilla goes on my apple pies and other deserts- and I have had guests ask me if I bought this "wonderful" ice cream in a specialty store.
    I don't even remember when I last bought ice cream at the grocery stores. We do go to Richardson's to get some unusual flavors once in a while. They have sugarfree ice creams too. I have not yet managed to make sugar free ice creams, but I am still trying. It seems you need the sugar to not have the ice cream turn into solid ice. If anyone out there knows the trick - please let me know. - Pingo

Oh I forgot, after you mix your ingredients - it takes about 20 minutes for the ice cream maker to turn out a nice soft ice cream to satisfy your cravings. Put it in a container and stick it in the freezer - and you can have some more later on. Then clean your bowl so it will be ready for your next batch. Now I am craving Pistachio ice cream.

Sorry I needed to edit that. I just realized that Cuisinart makes an Ice Cream maker w/ two bowls - so one can make two different kind of flavors at the same time.
    Well, the one I have have one bowl - but I have two bowls - so I don' t need to wait for the bowl to freeze.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Low Fat Ice Cream Chat

Hi tt

Thanks so much! I am on my way to the store and have seen the Turkey Hill but never tried it. Chocolate Cherry Cordial sounds awesome! I used to buy the Kemps frozen yogurt but not all stores carry it.

By the way, I love Jenny Joseph's "I shall wear purple with a red hat" - do you think that's how the Red Hatters started their color scheme? Also, I love the line "sit down on the pavement when I'm tired". If only I had the nerve to follow that theme.

putt

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Low Fat Ice Cream Chat

Hi pingo

Thanks so much - between you and tt I'm really drooling. Have never thought about making my own. Not a bad idea. Will definately keep it in mind,

Thanks

putt

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Low Fat Ice Cream Chat

Bump!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Low Fat Ice Cream Chat

Hi putt -

I have been buying rainbow sherbert. It does have some sugar but low fat content. I find it takes the edge off when I'm craving something sweet.

mothermitzi

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Low Fat Ice Cream Chat

I used to love the Rainbow Sherbert. Haven't quite figured out how to make it myself. I make an awesome Orange sherbert though. I guess one just have to make the different flavors and just layer them. Something I have to think about.

[Quote]Hi putt -

I have been buying rainbow sherbert. It does have some sugar but low fat content. I find it takes the edge off when I'm craving something sweet.

mothermitzi[/Quote]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Low Fat Ice Cream Chat

All this talk about ice cream/sherbet/forzen yogurt -- I just went out and sliced a banana in a bowl, topped it with a scoop of frozen yogurt, drizzled a little Hershey's choc syrup and some caramel syrup over it, and finished it off with a scoop of lite Cool Whip, some nuts and a cherry!

It's all your faults!

tt

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Low Fat Ice Cream Chat

Oh tt - how can you do this to us - especially me, who is sitting in my office strugling with some W2s - my bookkeeper messed up before she left on vacation last week. I bet you must be enjoying it right now - P

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Low Fat Ice Cream Chat

Hi mothermitzi:

I used to buy rainbow sherbert all the time but started wanting real ice cream so I got into Moose Tracks, Mint chocolate chip, Oreo, you name it. Now, I need to be good again. Could not find too much in the frozen yogurt department but did end up with Edy's slow churned, half the fat, Girl Scout Cookie Mint. Sinful!

I hope you can squeeze in a trip to a warm climate sometime this winter. The fares seem very reasonable and it would be nice to soak up the sun for a few days.

Hope you are ready for the storm.

putt

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Low Fat Ice Cream Chat

Hi tt

Your dessert with the syrups and cool whip does it for me. I searched high and low for the Turkey Hill or Hood yogurt but had no luck. Must be very popular. Did end up with an Edy's Slow Churned - says half the fat. Girl Scout Cookie Mint. Delicious! Will still keep the others in mind for next time.

What happened to the other thread - half the page is missing. Wanted to reply about the books but was afraid anyone trying to read it would be lost.

Thanks for all your good information.

putt

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Low Fat Ice Cream Chat

I like the Edy's slow churned 1/2 the fat Dulce de Leche - caramel ribbon in vanilla.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Low Fat Ice Cream Chat

Hi Everybody -

Yes, the pages were messed up again with text running beyond the margin. Sometimes, sherbert does not do it for me either. I polished off a half gallon of frozen pudding ice-cream over Christmas. I find that after I get my fix, I can go back to being good for awhile. I think Edy's makes good ice-cream and I can vouch for their slow churned strawberry cream. Haagen Dazs makes the best (full strength) Dulce de Leche, but we're not supposed to be going there, are we?
    I'll look for Edy's slow churned!

mothermitzi

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Low Fat Ice Cream Chat

We are Turkey Hill folk here in Icerland

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Low Fat Ice Cream Chat

[Quote]I like the Edy's slow churned 1/2 the fat Dulce de Leche - caramel ribbon in vanilla.[/Quote]

I LOVE that ice cream flavor, but don't buy it anymore because in 4 days I've eaten the whole container. So good.

tt

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Low Fat Ice Cream Chat

" I searched high and low for the Turkey Hill or Hood yogurt but had no luck."

I have a hard time finding the Hood yogurt at M.B. One day the ice cream guy was there stocking the freezer shelves and when I asked him he said they only give them so many shelves and they don't always have room to put out the yogurt. Stop and Shop does carry it, and I did find the T.H. yogurt at M.B. this week. At least we try to be good. Whatever works to fill that sweet, icey cold craving.

tt

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Low Fat Ice Cream Chat

[Quote]We are Turkey Hill folk here in Icerland[/Quote]

They make a great banana split ice-cream! Can you tell I often prowl the frozen food aisle?

Speaking of food, I stopped in at Trader Joe's tonight and they have the mushroom turnovers - finally!

mothermitzi

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Low Fat Ice Cream Chat

Good morning mothermitzy,
    --- I suppose it is a TJ in town. Mine in Saugus didn't have them 2 days ago. But thanks for the tip.
    Made myself a new flavor of ice cream last night. It is supposed to be the original flavor they have at "Pink Berry" in CA. It is made with buttermilk. I had a taste of it last time we were in CA and my memory sent my home to a very warm summer night, when my mother would make this cold soup/dish. So I got out my cookbooks and found a recipe I could use. Changed it a bit to be able to freeze it in my ice cream maker. It came out really good. And it is almost nonfat.
    Get your showels out - it looks like we are in for a big one again. No flakes yet even though we were told it would start to snow around midnight - hope it is a good sign - Pingo

[Quote]

They make a great banana split ice-cream! Can you tell I often prowl the frozen food aisle?

Speaking of food, I stopped in at Trader Joe's tonight and they have the mushroom turnovers - finally!

mothermitzi[/Quote]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Low Fat Ice Cream Chat

Good morning

Hope everyone is enjoying another snow day - just put Dulce de Leche on my shopping list. I can see it now. Nothing in my freezer but low fat ice cream - my hubby will be thrilled!

Just finished making cookies for the shovelers. It really doesnt seem that bad right now. We live on a main street and it's bare. Course, the town does a great job of keeping it clear.

I tried everything to widen the other thread with no luck. Any suggestions. The text size helped a little but I still cant read the entire paragraph.

Enjoy the day

putt

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Low Fat Ice Cream Chat

Hi Putt,

I couldn't widen it either. I think we need to just ditch that thread and start a new one. The problem will probably continue all the way down that page until we start a new page.

While I was away made tollhouse cookies and roll out/ cut out sugar cookies, so am all cookied out. Just looked through a couple of old cookbooks I have for a twist on a meatloaf. Found one that sounds good, but altho she calls it meatloaf, it's baked in an 8x8 pyrex dish - only 40 minutes too. I've got ingredients inhouse, so will give it a try tonight with a baked potato. Probably less baking time because it's not shaped into a loaf.

Streets were covered with snow when I got up at 7:30, muffling the sound of the cars going by. Have quite a bit on the ground now, and altho the town plows have been by, it's nowhere near bare streets. I'm content to just hunker down, try to finish one of the 3 books I'm reading.

Enjoy the day.

tt

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Low Fat Ice Cream Chat

Hello ladies,

Made it to work - courtesy of my husband. DON'T go out unless absolutely necessary. Don' t let the light snow kid you - it is a mess out there. It is slippery and there are lots and lots of skidmarks. No plowing had been done in the area where we live - and coming to Reading it was not much better. Rt. 128 is passable going 30 miles an hour, as long as you don' t have idiots that must go 60 and cut you off.
    I would have stayed at home, but I had to get in and do our payroll. You ladies keep warm, snuggle up with a good book and cup of hot chocolate - if you like. Or maybe even tt' s Banana split. -- Pingo

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Low Fat Ice Cream Chat

Hi tt

Meatloaf sounds so good - I've not made it in ages because no one in the family likes it but me. That's real comfort food on a day like this.

Snow is coming down very hard right now. Hopefully, everyone will get out of work early and get home safely.

Hope Charlie's appetite has picked up since you've been home.

I like to listen to talk shows, especially 96.9, and the subject today is the mailmen in Rockport that refuse to deliver mail because of the turkey attacks. Can you imagine. What next?

I am in the middle of reading both "Sarum" and also "Whitethorn Woods" by Maeve Binchy - biggest decision I have today is which one do I finish. Life if good.

Enjoy the day.

putt

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Low Fat Ice Cream Chat

Hi pingo

Hope you get to leave work soon - looks pretty bad out there right now. My daughter is working in Lawrence for the day and I'm hoping she gets to leave soon.

I haven't had cocoa yet but did eat more then my share of the chocolate chip cookies I made for the shovelers. Thank heavens I made a double batch. So much for low fat ice cream today~

Enjoy~

putt

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Low Fat Ice Cream Chat

Hi Everybody -

When I got up, it was raining here with very little snow on the ground. I thought about going in and then the snow started in earnest. So, I am safe and warm, working from home. I have the makings for another beef stew and will start preparing it in a bit.

Pingo, be safe on your way home. Lots of accidents on the news. Be careful.

mothermitzi