May 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Re: May 2013

That's why they say, never plant in New England until after Memorial Day; and they mean by the old rules too, not the Monday holiday date.  Could freeze any time before June.  I am glad you got home safely, Kar.

Pingo, sorry the cold is still active.  Don't forget that a hot toddy might help; it's a holiday so celebrate and keep warm.   Tomorrow is supposed to be semi-nice so I have asked my in-laws to a semi- cookout; I will cook the meat outside but we probably won't eat there.  That means I have to shop this afternoon.  I will roast some vegetables and help warm the house tonight.  Nachos for dinner; I bought avocados earlier and they are ripe now.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Even tho I have a container full of blueberry muffins I made yesterday, my cupboard is down to the nitty gritty as far as chocolate goes.  Don't feel like making anything the least bit complicated, made brownies last time.  Whoopie pies too long a process.  Not hankering wowie cupcakes - may just google a bit and see what comes up.

Pingo, I used those super big fat blueberries from S&S in the muffins, a pint of them minus a handful I ate, and they made the best muffins.  They were so fat that they just burst in the muffins and were so good.  If noone drops in tomorrow I'll freeze the last of the dozen so I won't continue gobbling them down.

Nice idea to have an impromptu semi-cookout, Hats.  Wish G.T. had let me know if they were thinking of coming down, but I don't think he saw the email before he left work.  They're on the go every week-end, and I know his back has been bothering him, particularly sitting for any length of time.  Don't want to put him on the spot.  The eggplant parm will definitely get made for lunch tomorrow, company or not.

Have been dying to give SS a call, but I know her fam and friends will have been there yesterday and today, and don't want to interrupt.  Hope everything is going along OK.

Icer, does your town have festivities celebrating Memorial Day that you're involved in?  Your little guy is just the right age to be wide-eyed at bands and stuff.

Must go google around and see what pops up.  Hope you're feeling better, Pingo.  Glad you are on the mend, Kargiver.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, nachos...what a fabulous idea, hats.  I have avocados, too...hmmm.  Have fun with your semi-cookout tomorrow!

If sitting is bothering GT, ask him if he'd try sitting on an inflatable stability ball as a chair; that's what my aunt recommends for such troubles, and they aren't expensive.  When my mom had a bulged disk, that was the ONLY way she could sit for more than a few minutes.

thanks for the well wishes - I still have a nagging cough, but it seems to be improving.  Poor Pingo, her worst is yet to come. :(

I hope you can catch up soon with SS, tt, and give us another update - be sure to let her know she's in our thoughts.

making more cream of asparagus soup tonight when DH gets done with his adventure.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Checked with SS and she is doing good.  Goes back to the dr. Tuesday, she thinks.  Not able to sleep in the bed, but has a comfortable reclinable chair she's sleeping in with no problem.  Not too comfortable to sit upright to get on computer, so that may be a while yet.

That's all the news from the front.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

What an ordeal, poor thing.  Sounds like she's continuing to improve, though, so that's good.  Glad you connected tonight, tt.

dh should be home soon.  The soup is ready to go.  It gets hot right in the Vitamix so I can't finish it until he gets here...takes about 6 minutes.  The ingredients are in the jar waiting for the switch to be flipped.  I had an appetizer of leftover salmon that is on it's last safe day.  If DH doesn't want the other piece, Gracie is in for a big treat.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

How did you fill the day, Kargiver?  Did a friend ride along with your husband to get the pickup?

Got another room's woodwork all washed down and a wash done after changing the bed.  Not as much as yesterday.  Remembered choc chip cookies in freezer, so didn't do any chocolate baking.  Supper was the rest of the mushrooms I had cooked up yesterday, in an omelet.  Just threw out the core of a bosc pear I was eating, and watched a squirrel appear out of nowhere and enjoy it.  Hoping something good is on TV tonight.  Only had it on for background sound today, so ready to sit down and watch a little.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Not much filled today, tt, but I forced myself to walk Gracie for just over an hour in the cold mist. Did general kitchen and house pickup, no cleaning, per se.  Between my cough and tendency to get a headache with too little sleep, that plus the asperagus soup was enough for me.  We're both half asleep, soup enjoyed and tractor all tucked in to its new home.  We are joining you in your hope for something entertaining on TV.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I had two ripe avocados so made some guacamole to go with the nachos.  Added lemon juice and some salsa to the chopped up avocado and it was delicious, if I do say so myself.  TT I envy you your chocolate chip cookies.  I got out my mixer on Friday to make a cake and it was dusty; I realized I had not baked since Easter!  Got hot dogs, burgers and chicken for tomorrow; will cook all the chicken and have it to use in a recipe if there's any left over.  The sunset was pretty; red clouds against a blue sky foretelling a nice day tomorrow!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

We had Zachary's birthday party today.

Kar..we've run our stove tonight and last night....unbelieveable

Party went well...You know I have to say...my former In-laws show me and Honey a LOT of love...It felt good and real...especially in stark contrast to the other families...

I felt really blessed....and loved...and....cherished.....It was nice

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good Memorial Day morning, everyone,

hats, that guac does sound yummy - that's how I make it, too, plus a little hot sauce.  

Icer, I know, crazy!! We, too, have had the stove going all weekend including this morning; it was 62 in here this morning, and it was driving my cough.

Happy birthday to Zach!! nice that your former in-laws are loving and grown up enough to enjoy good company for blessed occassions like Zach's party.

nice to see the sun this morning despite it shining on heavy frost. :)

ETA: made pancakes this morning and enjoyed more of DH's homemade maple syrup...love that it took on a smokey taste from the fire.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Promise of temps going up to 70's.  The sun is a welcome sight, even at this early hour.  Cheerio has already found her spot at the foot of the bed in the spare room, smiling as she toasts first one side, and then the other.

How the time flies, Icer.  Happy birthday to little Zach.  What kind of a cake did his mom's friend bake?

Pingo, hope you wake up feeling a lot better today.

Kargiver, your talk of pancakes make me want some, but the easiness of just grabbing one of the blueberry muffins from under the cake dome, was just too tempting.

Don't think I have ever had nachos, Hats.  Tend to put out the oldies (cheese/crackers, celery/cream cheese).  It sounds good when you describe it tho.

Made enough  coffee for 2 cups this morning, so will go pour the second cup before it gets cold.  Hope there's something interesting to write in my journal when I start it again at the end of the day.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT, we had crackers and cheese for dinner the night before, so felt the need to make an effort with the nachos last night. I had some leftover chicken and rice with which I mixed a can of ro-tel tomatoes and green chiles, plus a can of refried beans.  Plopped the chicken mixture over the tortilla chips, sprinkled cheese and popped them in the microwave.  There's some chicken mixture left which I might wrap in a soft tortilla for my lunch with the leftover guacamole.

I'm going to put out some celery and olives this afternoon...along with the old reliable onion dip. 

TT since it's a holiday I think you have tempted me and I will make myself a second cup of coffee.....with Kahlua!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good day everyone. Sun is shining, it's turning out to be a nice day. DH is planting a few rose bushes and working on finishing the pool. We are king to have a roast cooked on the grill with all the fixings.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

Good morning , all-Happy Memorial day!   Nice to see the sun fully out-I have not checked the temp yet- just got up at 10:30. I loe to stay in bed and just doze--lazy!

Had wine with neighbors last night, and my mother joined us for a couple of hours. She had tea!

I have so much food here- not sure what to cook today. I have to learn to buy less--had DS get a rack of ribs, sausages, and steak tips. I also have chicken, hot dogs, and hamburg. UGH. He made some nacho's, too, later last night, using cut up steak tips.  Two of my neighbors came over for them-they said they were really good. He bought prepared guac- it was good-I usually just make it myself.  YUMM-the blueberry pancakes sound yummy- I still have a container left of them. TT-I  wish you would send me some energy-- The little boy neighbors came  over last night, and I can feel dirt they must have tracked in on my barefeet. Easy sweep, though, to take care of that.

OK--gotta start moving here.......

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Eggplant is in the oven - no need to wait until later to eat with just me here, I'm hungry now!  Will make a salad to with, and either Pinot or a Michelob.  Hats, laughed at your post, my second cup had Bailey's Irish Creme in it!

Tulips you got your invites to all of us out too late!  What a spread you're going to have.  I could have brought my eggplant, Kargiver a little leftover cream of asapargus soup, Hats some guacamole, crackers and the onion dip, and Icer one of her beautiful cakes - what a feast we would have all had!  All that good food might even have sounded tempting enough to Pingo to rise her out of that sickbed.

SS called this morning, said she has a little money and was thinking of sending it to G.T. and partner so they could buy a helicopter and fly me down, and land right in her backyard for a visit!  Don't know if it's really me she wants to see, or my eggplant parm! 

Enjoy your day, everyone.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Oh TT, I wish you could see SS too, tell her we all are pulling for her.  Tulips, you will need more wine to wash all that down, wish we could all help you.  I will raise a glass for you after my company leaves!  The Kahlua was yummy, one more swallow left.  Went out to put the tablecloth on the umbrella table, what a difference since 8:00 when I went out to sweep and made myself sneeze violently from the pollen and cold...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,

I am sure ss would like to see you both, tt. The feast you are speaking of sounds wonderful, but you will not want me there:( My cold is doing excellent; me not so much. Spent yesterday in a recliner wrapped up in blankets. Semi sat up in my bed most of the night - dozing off now and then. The cough has become worse; will see doc tmw. As much as I hate to take them, I think it is time for some antibiotics. Not for the cold, but for a secondary infection.

Happy birthday to Zach. Hard to believe he is a year old already. Wish we would hear from Amber and Joey.

So happy to have you back Tulips. Seems you have a large support group and are doing ok, despite your loss.

Nice to see the sun and increased temps. Hope you all get a chance to enjoy it. We haven't had to start the heat, but of course, DH was at work and I under the covers.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just hopped back on and see I left you and your roast out of our menu fixings, Winter!  What am I crazy ?  That would be the piece de resistance! 

Eggplant was good, but I am craving the old dessert my mother always made and me too if others were coming - peanut butter cookies.  Didn't want to run out and get peanut butter and more brown sugar and make a batch to watch myself eat right through them.  Scouring the cabinets came across a trail mix of cranberries, other dried fruit and almonds.  Good, but not peanut butter cookies.

My son whose GD is graduating this year called and I asked again about the party/dinner out.  Still not a definite, only definite is that it won't be here.  Told him I would put my cleaning bucket away.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Sorry, TT that the party won't be at your house but it may be a blessing in disguise for the house is cleaner and will not be dirtied.

A roast sounds super.  I think I should have bought some steak tips.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. The roast was wonderful. DH cooked it on the grill and I took care of the rest. tt, sorry the party won't be at your house.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

We've barely enough left for dinner tonight so I guess all went well.  Just finished off the dishes. 

It seems as if the weather is going to get hot at the end of the week so we need to enjoy these next two days.  Yesterday was quite nice altho my father-in-law was cold outside.

Have a nice day, all.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Looking in the mirror this morning, there's a slight tan on my face.  That even with suntan block on.  Sat out back and read for an hour or so in the afternoon.

Out by 10:00 this morning.  Have to let the A/C run and be sure it is working, didn't seem to do the job when cousin and I were out Thursday.  It's an old, old, car and I've had it in before for that.  I really need it even driving locally, once the hot weather comes on.

Sounds as tho everyone had good food yesterday.  Now the rest of the week will be leftovers.  Sounds good to me.  Salad for lunch then eggplant for supper.

Male and female cardinals were up at the feeder at the same time this morning.  Usually he sits back and watches while she eats, and then feeds himself.

How are you feeling this morning, Pingo?  Hope the doctor is able to give you something.

As for the grad party, the heavy cleaning I've been doing really wouldn't have gotten "dirtied", it's been the doorframes and mopboards, that kind of thing that just accumulates dirt from hot air heat and greases from cooking.  I'll continue on, actually, and do a room a week and then wash down the stairs going to the second floor.  Needs to be done anyway.

Finished cup of coffee, so will see what can be done with my hair this morning.  Seems as tho time for haircuts rolls around faster and faster.  Have a good day everyone.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Good morning everyone!  Seems its been a busy long weekend!  I missed the group feast, but just as well, I am practicing making chicken marsala and don't have my recipe just quite right yet.  I'll keep at it and will be prepared for the next one!

We were up the lake with baby girl and my family.  DH met us there and said he had snow and sleet on the drive up Sat night.  By Sunday afternoon though the sun was out, and yesterday we took her for a walk down the pier and brought her out to play on her swing in the trees. 

Party planning for her birthday is in full swing!  Had a devil of a time with the hall, but that is all set now.  Too bad I didn't think to ask a freind whose house is all spruced up and party-ready...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Ah, I'd have been delighted to host your little one's party, Novem.  There's been many a party here, let me tell you.  Because I live alone now, I don't have much outside furniture, and for my GD's grad party to have been here, would have involved dragging over grill, tables/umbrellas, chairs.  Really makes sense to have it somewhere where the outside is more set up for it.

Keep working on that recipe.  4th of July is coming up.  I love chicken marsala.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning, everyone,

What a gorgeous day yesterday and another today!  DH took full advantage of it and the new JD tractor he used to till the rest of the garden.  The smaller one (sold this weekend, too) wasn't powerful enough to haul/use the tiller without getting bogged down.  I even had to pull him out with the big orange one (in the background of the photo) one year.  So, a good investment.

tt, you have inspired me to do my all time least favorite house task - the woodwork.  It's cream colored, and with the dust, black dog hair, cooking, wood stove soot, etc., it's never really clean even 5 minutes after I do it.  But, it has to be done, and today is the day.  Bucket, rag...here I come.  

Yesterday got to all the toilets and took the pumice stone to the rings - they are gleaming!

Nov, you and my other friend with nearly one year olds are in full party planning mode.  The triplets' birthday is next month!  Do you have a theme?  I think their theme is "surviving triplets."  ;)

We had our first salad from the garden last night!  The asparagus is slowing down, but I think I'll have enough for a third delicious batch of Vitamix cream of asparagus soup.  It's beyond good and so few calories it's like magic food.  Eggplant parm would have gone nicely with the salad.

DH is happy to be a vegetarian all summer, but Tulips, I'd be glad to help you with all that meat.  I'm a dyed in the wool carnivore.

Pingo, hope your antibiotics wipe the bronchitis out.  I'm still hoping not to have to take them, although, my cough is on the edge.  

Have a great short work week, everyone.