November 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Re: November 2012

tt, watching the beginning of Flipping Out and cracking up! Love when Jenny does "Deb"  Guess this episode she does something wrong that makes him "flip out".  Love this show..  sorry everyone is off early, but figured you would have a chuckle in the morning : ) Will post tomorrow after my house cleaning. Have a good night!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Off on a Thanksgiving jaunt.  Hope you all have a nice holiday.  See you next week.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm off to Stop and Shop before it gets crazy.  I forgot I need pecans to make the pie today...darn!  Actually, I guess I should see what time they open.

Gracie's appointment is at 1 today. Her eye definitely looks better, and I was able to stop her pain meds.  Hopefully that means the cornea itself is healing well...sigh.

dh will be home this afternoon, yay!

Have a blessed TG, everyone!  I'll be around until tomorrow when we go to SIL's.  praying we can leave Gracie outside in the bright light, otherwise we have to cut our visit short to get her out of her crate.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Butter rum coffee and a couple of delectable little unfrosted half moon cakes for breakfast.  Up much earlier than I planned.  I know I have an exhausting day ahead of me, energy wise, so planned to lay in bed until at least 7:30.  Not to be.  5:00 I heard the meowing that I knew signaled only one thing - MOUSE!  She announces she has one and meows all the way into my room where she promptly drops it.  As of now it's either under the stove or under the l.r. couch.  She keeping vigil with an eye on both places.  Me, I was hoping to catch it and toss it out to Harry for a little Thanksgiving snack. - Add "moving Christmas bags up off closet floor", to my ever growing list of "to do" today.

Winter, I fell asleep about quarter to 10 watching Flipping Out.  I love Jen's impersonation of Deb too.  The new guy he hired, I wish he'd get rid of, but I guess he keeps him around more or less for the levity.

Breakfast done, will dress and start on the fig squares first, they are time consuming with all the separate components.  Once they are done, will make soup and refrigerate, all except the cream that I'll add just before serving tomorrow, then the saltine candy, and finally the half moons.  Depending on how much energy I have left, will either just frost 4 for the special guest, or do 20 to bring for the dessert table.  The question of what I will wear if still up for grabs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Mouse?  Did she get the prize?!  Too bad you were awakened early, tt, on such a busy day.  Gracie woke me up right on time (6:02), but I was so sound asleep I felt like it was 4 and almost told here to go back to sleep.  Good thing I looked at the clock!

ok, the grocery store opened at 6 so I'm good.  Off I go!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

ETA: spell check actually is still very messed up and changed a word that was ok into a banned word without my noticing. Of course, when I went to post it said to remove it, and it took me quite awhile to even find it!  LOL

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from keane5050. Show keane5050's posts

I don't post very often but I like to read your updates from time to time. Winter's description of her son's school project brought back a rush of unpleasant memories.

My daughter has attended Catholic school her whole life.  Although the overall experience has been great, 5th and 6th grade was so hard due to the homework, projects, etc.  I am a single mother who has always worked full time.  I would pick my daughter up at the end of the day and the first thing out of my mouth was not "how are you" or "how was your day" it was "how much homework do you have?"  It was crazy.  At least 2-3 hours every night.  I remember her doing a project very similar to the one you described.  I didn't see the point then and I don't see the point now.  I think it just looks good for the teacher to have all the projects hanging up to show off.  7th and 8th grade brought Science Fair.  Those projects went on for months and months.  

I remember asking the teachers why they were assigning so much homework and the response was always "to get them ready for High School." My daughter is now a senior in high school (a Catholic school) where she has been on the honor roll all four years.  She still has homework every night but the mindless busy work is a thing of the past.  Her work load is much less in high school then it was in the 5th grade.  She now has time for sports, friends, and a part time job.  

I can't offer any advise except to do what you feel is right.  When your son is grown he will look back fondly on the time he spent with his father not the time he spend doing a 6th grade project.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone.

Keane thank you for your perspective of the project. No library around had the book he really wants to read, so I ordered it from Amazaon and it should arrive today. He's going to start reading it and hope that the teacher approves it Monday (I'm sure she will.) As for him not going away to do the project. He doesn't want to show up to school without it and be the only one with it not done. He also doesn't want to lose part of his grade for passing it in late. So we will try to complete it before Christmas, but it really will be a lot of work for all of us.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

So much easier if they would let the kids come dressed as their character on the day they are going to present their report.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, that would be easier. I'm sorry Cheerio was up early this morning with a prize. Any sight of it?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

No.  First thing I've done is lug all the bags off my closet floor and put them on the stairs leading to the second floor.  The door at the bottom stays closed, and she never brings her mice over there.  She headed for the heat register in the toyroom once or twice, and then turned back to keep her vigil.  I'm sure we won't see hide nor hair of it until the lights go out tonight.  Unless, it's hiding under the stove, the oven will be on most of the day, so that will drive it out - or to a worse fate!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Hi tt, it was me that posted about Flipping Out, not Winter ; )  I am getting ready to do some cleaning, and will do my food prop tonight. Keane, great advice! Kar, I hope you are in and out at Stop & Shop. I'm sure the supermarkets will be a mad house. Cheeerio got a mouse again! She really is good at that. I haven't seen one since my landlord fixed the holes in the foundation thank God. Hats, have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Sadly, I have to run to Stop and Shop tonight, I don't have honey and need it for the roast.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Right, sorry about that, Amber.  

Have all the steps for the squares in their separate bowls, and now the part I hate, chopping up the dates into teeny tiny pieces.  Then with the soup I'll be chopping up the carrots, onion, celery to cook down and puree.  Speaking of chopping, with the set of knives I got last Christmas, I got the most fabulous knife.  Have no idea what it's called, but I use it for everything.  It's great for chopping up the walnuts, for slicing bread, for most everything.  It's a wide blade, never saw one before, but it's now my favorite.

Yes, I don't envy you, Kargiver, running to the supermarket today.  The 12 items or less register should move pretty quickly tho.

Pingo, are you working today?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, but I didn't have to, after all!  I went to "my" diner first, and the owner hooked me up with a lovely bag of pecans she didn't need before her next BJs run, woo hoo!  Oh, and she sold me a small bag of white flour after I said I never had that on hand and needed to get some.  Nice, huh?!

winter, try a convenience store for the honey...you'll be in and out in no time from a Honey Farms or Cumberlands.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    I may or may not go to work today, tt. We have had a bit of trouble with our oil burner the past week. Keeps turning off every 4 - 5 hours. It is not the boiler itself, but they think there may be a small hole that draws in air in the pipes. So I have my front yard dug up and heating people moving around the house. Hopefully it will be fixed today.
    How is the mouse hunt going on? Something you really need to worry about, on a day like this, where you are so busy. Murphy's law!
    The weekly flyers came a day early due to the holidays. There was even a large flyer from the Job Lot, I am sure you would love to get your hands on - lots of good bargains (their spices are all $1). The address to write to is: direct@globe.com. Tell them you want be put back on their mailing list. It will take a couple of weeks, but they will do it.
    Welcome to the chat, keane. We always enjoy having new posters. My boys went to catholic schools as well - all the way, and I can only agree with your sentiment.
    Good luck with the vet visit today, Kar. Hope you will be able to open your shades, when you get back home from there. What a nice gesture from your diner friend. Lucky you, that you don't have to go shopping. I went to S&S yesterday at lunch time to get the last couple of  things, I need for Thursday. Not a great experience; it was mobbed and everyone are so stressed out. I am so glad I don't have to go today.
    I will be around during the TG vacation. But for those of you who might not be, I wish a blssed Thanksgiving with family and friends.
    Now, where are mm, princess, Tulip and Obie? Hope everything is well with you. If you read this, please check in and tell us so.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Giving myself a break between cooking and have been looking through closet and drawers for what to wear - guess what I found tucked in a drawer?  No, it wasn't the mouse, thank Gawd, - the clear gift bags to put the baskets in!  Good thing I was clothes hunting, never would have looked there for them - who would?!   Think I put them there because there was plenty of room, I could stretch them out, and I felt they wouldn't get crushed.

Thanks for the address, Pingo.  I think I posted that I had stopped and given my name and address to a S&S manager, and she said it would take about 2 weeks for me to get back on the mailing list.  Sorry about your heating problem.  What a mess to have - but better now when the ground hasn't frozen yet.

Heating up some leftover ziti from Vinnie's for my lunch today, with a little side salad.  Now, if I had a glass of wine to go with - -

That was so nice of your friend at the diner, Kargiver.  Saved you a trip and avoiding a crowd.  Hope Gracie gets the OK for regular daylight today.

Didn't send any Thanksgiving cards, save pumpkin's, so of course, I got a few in the mail.  That's alright, I did my Halloween card thing.  Never was big on personally picked out Thanksgiving or Christmas cards, just do the regular Christmas card mailing.

OK, enough hanging around.  Will make my lunch a little early, get that out of the way, and then on to the pumpkin soup.  Cheerio  update:  She sits, smiling, peering through squinty eyes, at the l.r. couch.  I'm not dealing with the mouse, Pingo, it's useless.  It will stay hidden until it's dark.  I just hope I'm able to get some sleep tonight, don't want to be crabby gus tomorrow.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, your lunch sounds lovely. I can just picture Cheerio grinning ear to ear just waiting to pounce on her new friend. Kar, sadly I need a couple of more things besides honey, but I'll check out CVS when I go out. Pingo, sorry your burner is acting up but glad it's being fixed now rather then later. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Pingo, so sorry about your heating issues. I remember that clearly myself. Mine broke down on the coldest day in February! They were able to give it life support until I replaced it. Winter, if you can get your stuff at CVS or someone else, I would spend the extra couple of dollars. Kar, happy you don't have to go to the supermarket and what great merchants you have! tt, I love the vision of Cheerio but hope her mouse hunting doesn't keep you up. Housework all done along with food prep. Pooped but happy : )

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

tt, maybe this will distract Cheerio : ) In case anyone thinks otherwise, the add photo option is still not available. I copied and pasted this.

View 2012-08-28_08-52-58_10.jpg in slide show

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Amber I can't see the picture :( 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Oh h*ll.... figures... I can see it. Ugh.. Thanks Winter!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Me neither.  

Cheerio is taking her afternoon nap under my comforter, so she'll be rested to go on prowl tonight when it gets dark.  Mouse is - I don't know where.

Just finished soup and I'm pooped too.  Decided only 4 half moons for special person will get frosted.  Soup, candy, and fig squares should be enough from me.  Did a wash and the green casual suit is what I'll be wearing.  Tonight want to just relax.  Wish I had bought a pizza to pop in the oven for supper.  I'm d-d-d-d-done.

Everyone have a nice Thanksgiving.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Sounds like you had a productive day tt and Amber. What time are you being picked up tomorrow tt? Ithink what you are bringing is plenty. I'll take a half moon. I have to pick up some wine tonight as well. Maybe I'll send DH to do that, a nice Moscato maybe.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Ahh... tt's half moons and whoopie pies makes me crazy... I want a half moon! Willing to share with Winter....