November 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Re: November 2013

Good morning. tt, glad you had kitty company this morning. hats, we still have to look at Arlington Catholic, the Open House is the 17th. So far he likes both St. Joseph's Prep and Matignon. Just to mix it up, DH wanted him to go to the Voc school as he want there. I knew it wouldn't be DS' cup of tea as he is not a hands on type of work kid. He hated it, he looked scared the minute he entered the cafeteria will all the people in it and it got worse. He left an hour into it after DH showed him his old locker, same locker same color paint. Kar, have a good time out East shopping. Something odd you could get for his cruise now or later is...the batrooms are so small, I got one of those  shoe holders with the pockets that go on a door. It easily holds, shampoo, shaving stuff, deodrant, etc. Of course this is a much cheaper item, but it would come in handy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hmmm...will think about it, seriously. Why not if people would enjoy it and we'd get some income?  I like to write...but you know that already, lol.

ok, off I go, have a great day!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Actually, KAR, what you would have needed to do in the old days is to get an agent, write a proposal/prospectus including a sample chapter and let her shop it around to publishers.

However, in this age, you have another choice, which is self-publishing.  That's what the 50 shades woman did...and then because the book sold so well without a publisher, it got picked up by one and the rest is history.

I actually wrote one, formatted it,  and self-published it for my family's use.  We all enjoy using it and I am working on a second edition.  I wrote it myself and used Lulu to print it.  I have not put it on Amazon because I don't want to bother.  My niece did one also - she used a service that formats it all for you.  If you are interested, you can look into this stuff via the internet.

However, Kar, what would be even more natural for you, I think, is a blog.  There are lots of blog services out there, and you can include advertisements and make $$ from that.  From there, people go on to publishing books, etc - like the Pioneer Woman who now has her own Food Network shor.  Think about it.  If you are interested I can tell you a few other blogs that you can look at.

In response to toytrumpet's comment:

You would need to get a publisher after you have put together something.  They do the promotion work, setting up displays and speaking engagements at bookstores, etc.  Research and see which publishers specialize in the growing and preserving of your own produce - country living sort of thing.  Stop thinking about it and just write even a few lines each time you "put up" something.  That's why I suggested keeping a notebook and pen on the kitchen counter.  Later, you can go back and put entries in some kind of order, filled in with chit chat the same as you post here.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good ideas, Hats, especially since you have already gone that route and could be helpful in helping her get started.  I suggested a publishing company because I don't feel she will actually follow through on setting up a blog or self publishing, probably feeling she doesn't have the time.  Hope she will take your suggestions, knowing she can turn to you with questions that come up along the way.  When I stop check out new books at the library, that type of book is all the rage now.  New ones out on display weekly.  Kargiver just needs a little nudging.  Nudge, nudge.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Blogging is just about what Kar is already doing on this forum!  So Kar, think about it....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Walked Gracie, now changing clothes...will leave eventually, lol.

Winter, shuddered for DS, but kudos to him for agreeing to at least look, very mature.  I love the shoe bag idea!

Hats and tt, I will give all these ideas strong consideration...I appreciate your faith in me and that you think I have something interesting to share with the broader world. :)

later, friends!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Oh I was with him, I didn't like it either. I was very impressed with him. He was also nervous because he has a test today. You'll have to explain with live examples the shoe bag idea, but it's a keeper and it works. I had to actually put our stuff in it to show it off. You should write a blog/book.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I haven't heard if my son has taken 13 yr. old to any open houses, other than St. John's Prep that he saw during a basketball camp.  Of course, he loved that, but that one is also the most expensive around here.  I doubt he'll be going there, not with tuition for his sister to be considered too.  I think if left up to my GS, the decision will be based on 1) where he'll get the most basketball time, and 2) where his friends are going.

Yard is full of birds this morning, just went out and filled the birdbath and left some puddles, which they seem to prefer, on the walk.  Squirrels, two of them, are digging and burying something - wonder if it's the grapes I threw at the back of the yard yesterday.

The sky is getting grey, rain must be on its way in.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Pingo, how did you make out yesterday with the present shopping?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

If that's Minuteman Tech, there is a campaign on to renovate it and try to make it less prison-like.  That brutalist 70s architecture is a blight!  Whether the towns that would have to pay for it will kick in the $$ is another story.  The academics there are much better than they used to be, especially in the biotechnology area - as opposed to the old-time vocational programs such as Culinary and Auto mechanics.  However, people do very well in those programs - several people have wond national awards for cooking and baking and plumbing - for example, I knew a kid in the construction program who got to work for Tommy Silva - the This Old House guy - so there are good opportunities there.  The post graduate programs are great too!  So it's not just trade school any more.  I have a nephew who goes to one of the Voke-Techs and as a Jr already has some national certifications under his belt.

In response to Winter2011Bride's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Good morning. tt, glad you had kitty company this morning. hats, we still have to look at Arlington Catholic, the Open House is the 17th. So far he likes both St. Joseph's Prep and Matignon. Just to mix it up, DH wanted him to go to the Voc school as he want there. I knew it wouldn't be DS' cup of tea as he is not a hands on type of work kid. He hated it, he looked scared the minute he entered the cafeteria will all the people in it and it got worse. He left an hour into it after DH showed him his old locker, same locker same color paint. Kar, have a good time out East shopping. Something odd you could get for his cruise now or later is...the batrooms are so small, I got one of those  shoe holders with the pockets that go on a door. It easily holds, shampoo, shaving stuff, deodrant, etc. Of course this is a much cheaper item, but it would come in handy.

[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Was up at 4 this morning. Couldn't sleep thinking about all the things I have to do for the next few days. 
    The shopping trip yesterday was very fruitful. Just loved the girls at Pandora's. They were so helpful. When we reached the mall, we passed by Swarovski. They had some very pretty pendants and earrings on display. So DH took notes. The Pandora girls spent a good deal of time w/ us showing everything to us. We are close to settle on the bracelet for DIL, as we can add to it as milestones passes. But we got cold feet for the other girls, when the Pandora girl asked us, if we were going to buy more charms for those girls as well. That is not going to happen. We don't gift them except for occasions like this. So even the Pandora girl suggested, it would not be the best gift; the bracelets look prettiest with many charms.
    So upstairs we went and purchased 3 sets of identical Swarovski pendants and earrings. A bit more than the bracelets, but they will get more use out of it. So tonight we will go back and pick up the bracelet for DIL. The umbrella doesn't come in gold, so we settled for the teddy bear. They only had the blue teddy, but will hopefully get a pink one from another store today. Or we will have to choose something else. We have already planned, what to get for the next few occasions and are very pleased with our choice.
    I am amazed, how much that shot helped me. Walking around the mall, not having to stop or sit down every so often, is like getting a new life.

Kar, REI has a hanging travel pouch. It comes with small bottles, soap dish etc. and a place for all toiletries. Our son has one, he uses all the time. Just roll it up, ties it and off he goes. Then just unroll it and hang it on whatever knob, when he gets to where he is supposed to be. It takes up less room than a man's toiletry bag. Winter's suggestion is great, but I just thought I would let you know about this one.

I am also a fan of you doing that cookbook of yours. You must have enough material by now. I will buy one. Autographed of course. I am not much of a blogger myself, but it could be useful for some people. The only time I blog is, when I look for a certain recipe, and it happens to be on someones blog.

Waiting for my new dishwasher to arrive. They said they would be here before 2. Then I have a thousands errands to do after that. Kids are coming tomorrow, so I may not do much posting over the weekend. Have a good one everyone.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

hats, it wasn't Minuteman Tech it was Northeast Regional Tech. DS is just not a hands on kid, so "shops" are not for him. Pingo, I have a friend has a gold and silver bracelet, she doesn't wear the gold anymore because of the kids, she's afraid something will happen to it. She does where her silver one very often. Just thought I'd share my experience with it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Glad you were able to make a decision on the gifts, Pingo.  Hope the pink teddy bear comes in in time, otherwise, sounds as tho you have a back up plan.  You seem really pressed for time, so I'm guessing the shower is this week-end.  Fortunate that you had the doctor's appt. in time to be feeling pain free for the event.  Have a lot of fun and enjoy the day.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

In response to Winter2011Bride's comment:
    [QUOTE]

hats, it wasn't Minuteman Tech it was Northeast Regional Tech. DS is just not a hands on kid, so "shops" are not for him. Pingo, I have a friend has a gold and silver bracelet, she doesn't wear the gold anymore because of the kids, she's afraid something will happen to it. She does where her silver one very often. Just thought I'd share my experience with it.

[/QUOTE]

Thank you, Winter, that is definitely something to take into consideration. I don't think our DIL will wear hers everyday. Daily she only puts on minimal jewelry.  Besides, if I understand correctly, there is a life time warrenty on the gold bracelet, so if anything goes wrong, they will fix it. Plus I am sure my son will add it to their insurance policy.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

OK I just wanted to let you know.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I'll be headed out in a few minutes. Good night everyone. First basketball game of the season, not happy it's on a weeknight, they used to be on Sunday afternoons, perfect for my mom to get to and just easier to plan. DS has a test tomorrow, so he's a little worried about that.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, of course, you will all get autographed copies. :)

Speaking of autographed copies of a cookbook, I was 20 feet from Giada DeLaurentas (sp?) from the Food Network today!  She was doing a book signing at Williams Sonoma in the Natick Mall!!!  I didn't buy the book (given DH's gluten avoidance) or meet her, but she was right there in real life, even more gorgeous in person than she is on TV.

DH actually has a few presents coming within 4 months, our 5th anniversary, Christmas, and 50th birthday.  So, I got him his own tablet, Microsoft Surface 2, to replace our worn out (won't turn on) laptop; he can decide how many gifts it covers (but I'm still getting him binoculars for his trip).  It has a port for him to upload pics from his camera, something my iPad doesn't have.  So, I need to set that all up for him befofre Saturday; he's not a tech guy and would want to pull it out of the box all set up and ready to play...otherwise it would stay in the box, lol.  (I was at the Microsoft store across from WS when I saw the book signing line and meandered over to see what was going on.)

Lunch was excellent at The British Beer Company.

Did you get the KitchenAid dishwasher, Pingo?  We lovvvvvve ours; it cleans great and is super quiet.  I forget it's running until I hear the water drain.  No need to turn up the TV or move conversation away.

Winter, best to DS on his test tomorrow - what subject?

DH still hasn't called to say he's on his way...another late night.  He's working far too hard.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just chatting with SS.  Then her supper was ready, mine had been eaten around 4:45!  She is having computer problems and is taking it in to be checked over tomorrow.  As she said, when these computers work they're wonderful, and then when there's a glitch, we go crazy until they're fixed again.

Temp must have dropped already, feeling a little chilly, whereas earlier I had a few windows open.

Binoculars are a perfect gift especially for the trip, Kargiver.  He can see those bears up close!

Hope your son's basketball team wins, Winter, and that he's prepared for the test tomorrow.

Probably won't have the computer on late tonight.  Going now to change into something warm and toasty - you know what that leads to - falling asleep sitting there watching TV!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Best to SS - hope her computer gets straightened out quickly, easily, and cheaply.  How is she doing from her fall?  All better?

the temp dropped for sure, 20 degrees here, but it's 67 in the house so no fire or we'll roast tonight.

thanks...I hope I can get a pair he really enjoys using; there is a lot to learn I've discovered.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

What a nice present Kar he will enjoy that. The test is vocabulary/spelling. He also had a poem to type. Tt, they loss badly 62-31, teams are very unbalanced I guess. Hope SS' computer gets fixed quickly. Hope she is feeling better.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Sorry about the game last night, Winter.  My GS was on a summer team in a league that had the teams set up disproportionately with scores like that.  Discouraging to the kids unless somehow you can explain it to them.  Doesn't mean they're a  louzy team.  Did he get his poem typed?  I've another one to come up with fairly soon - G.T.'s birthday.  What can I say that I haven't already?!

Notice no little cats waiting out there for me this morning - C.L. is back home and they're back in their routine - I'm just the filler-in when she's not around!

Up early enough that I may make up a batch of scones for breakfast.  Nothing like a warm scone and a hot hot cup of coffee.

Will be out today, so not on until later - I say that all the time and then once you all start posting, I seem to find time to hop in there!  If not, have a good day, and to any I miss, a good week-end.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Well TT, that could be the first line of the poem.  "What can I say that I haven't already?  GT is a son so [something] and steady...." 

A sunny day, but it's below freezing outside - don't be fooled.  I hope some of you are looking forward to a long weekend!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Hi All...I gave a ServSafe class yesterday so ...while the students were taking their test...I caught up! The only thing...and I am sure you all have said this before....I can not post from my phone...Is it really just a phone anymore?

Pingo sounds like you are moving forward with your shower plans...Its nice to have things to look forward to...that sentence i probably not grammatically correct...so...shoot me...I wonder if I will even be able to post...Guess I will give it a whirl...

If you don't hear from me...I hope you all have a great weekend!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Very good!  Thanks, Hats,  "G.T. is a son so loving and steady" - that's for sure.  He's a wonderful friend to have too, I witnessed that just a couple of weeks ago when one of his friends was in need.  Quietly and quickly G.T. stepped in, and I never would have known about it if his friend hadn't told me of his kindness.  My chance to tell him how touched and proud I was of the man he is.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT - I bet I speak for all of the chatters when I say we are proud to 'know' your GT.  And I know you are proud of him too.