November 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: November 2013

Glad to see a post from you, Pingo, and totally understand you've no time nor energy right now to fill us in on the shower details.  A picture is worth a thousand words - so hoping you are able to post one your son took.

My water heater is installed.  Son brought cookie baking GD over with him and she and I scoured a cookbook from OLA for a cookie recipe using the limited supplies (1 egg for instance) that I have on hand.  Found a cinnamon sugar cut out cookie, which, as it promised, was ready to roll and cut after half an hour's chill in fridge.  We, she, father and me, all critiqued it, she rating it she'd want to make again and "good", her father "good", and me "don't bother."  Had it been chocolate, I'm sure my rating would have been higher.  Sort of like a shortbread, but it was a nice change from the regular ones we make.  We did add our own touch, that of the crystal sugar sprinkles on top!  Guess that will be her and my signature touch on cookies.  Made a gingerbread man running, a star, a small christmas tree, 0h, wait - - - -

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Wow TT!  You've been busy - cookies look sweet and I love the little figurines.  Glad you have hot water now - hope you can take a nice bath or shower!

I shut my computer down, took everything off my desk, cleaned it, and covered the desk with some beautiful contact paper I found at the dollar store ($1 per roll - 3 rolls did it and there's lots left over.)  The laminate finish had started to peel; now it's all clean and new, everything is clean - even the computer keyboard is dusted and cleaned.  Don't need a mousepad now.  Will eventually cover some boxes to match so I can keep everything together and keep it organized.  Happy.

Also put up my old Thanksgiving decorations. They remind me of when I was in grade school.  Every year I say I will throw them away but back in the drawer they go.  Here's my favorite.

OMG!  Pictures are broken.  The world's worst programming staff is at it again!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

No, no, Hats, keep trying.  I thought it was broken too, but kept going back to my printed word and then clicking on the tree.  Eventually it brightened and I got the form to click in.  Maybe a lot of people were trying to use it at once.

Love the sound of what you did with the desk.  Hope you are able to post a pic.

Oh, when my post came up, there was your picture, already posted!  Nice.  I don't have many thanksgiving things, the little cornhusk ladies in my picture, a "Give thanks" pail in back, and a lady and turkey my now 19 year old GD made in 2001.

ETA:  Are you posting pic of the desk?  That's what I'd like to see.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I had to resize the window totally - they inserted new VB code but did not resize. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I don't know what you are talking about with VB code.  I just kept trying and after about 4th try back and forth in there, the box popped up clear, just as it had earlier.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Visual Basic (VB) is the authoring software that produces this kind of function.  When I click on the insert picture icon, now, this is what I see:

So I resize to this, and then I can click on browse and upload the file.  Then insert.  This may be what happens only in Firefox.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I see.  I didn't get that, I just got a bleached out square with no writing in it until eventually the printing appeared and it was brighter.

Are you going to share a pic of your desk?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I will post it and then take it down, ok? Before....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

After

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Chinese food was lovely for lunch. Made a meatloaf and will put in the oven in about a half hour. tt, glad you have hit water and you and GD's cookies look lovely, I'd prefer a bit of chocolate myself. Hats, I'd like to see the desk top as well, the laminate is starting to come off of ours.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Hats that looks very nice. Maybe I can find a nice solid contact paper and do that to ours.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Solid would sure be a lot easier.  OTOH if you want solid, you can paint.  Here's a couple of links about painting laminate.

http://diykindagirl.blogspot.com.au/2011/06/how-to-paint-laminate.html

http://www.sasinteriors.net/2012/08/how-to-paint-laminate-furniture/

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

last one

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just got off the phone with SS and in time to see your pics.  That looks great, Hats.  Gives it a whole new look.  You did a good job with the paper placement/matching.

Meatloaf for your supper, Winter and SS made a beef stew.  Now when I shop this week those two meals are going to stick in my mind!  Did remember to take out a small piece of steak to cook up for mine.  Ate the candy pie slice after the plumbers and cookie bakers left!  Sooo good.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

HATS!  What a difference!  What did you do with everything??  It looks great.  And, a pretty surface to work on.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

It's all there except for one recipe-type box of 'junque' which has to be gone through.  Waiting for DH to come home and give me his opinion.

I bought hamburger and we're having burgers, tomatoes and grapes.  We've been eating lots of seedless red grapes.  So good!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Hats, Desk looks real good...pretty pattern.  I'm always covering something with contact paper...in work we used to have 25lbs of ice melt delivered in cardboard containers, they looked real nice, I took them home and covered them, put green plastic bags inside and now I use one for my yarn and the other odds and ends.....they both also serve to place things on.  In the TV room I have a large hassock that I have covered three times, I can't part with it, it holds yarn, a lap robe, books and (don't tell anyone)my candy stash. ss

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

DH thought I did a good job, too.  Now if I could just train myself not to eat/drink at the desk.

I bought paper for another desk.  It will be a long time before that one gets done, though.  I want to cover a shoe box with the black/white to put stuff in on the desk - like the tape dispenser.  I did put a piece around the pencil sharpener.  But SS you have me thinking about what else I could cover....will have to wait for inspiration (or more likely Pinspiration) to strike.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Remember when we used to make book covers for cookbooks that were displayed up on our kitchen shelves?  I used to use the contact paper still attached to its backing for that, then I could change to another cover at will - or whim.

I have a candle that came in a plain tin type holder, and I used the contrast wallpaper in my l.r. to wrap around that.

How about your waste paper basket?  Inside of bulletin board?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

My basket is wicker, and already painted...the bulletin board is painted to match the wall.  The tape dispenser and a tissue box are the best possibilities.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

That's all I've got.  Closing down for night.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Nothing like a nice hot shower - the small things we take for granted -

Was going to post "no snow here", but flakes have just begun to fall.  Had planned to go out mid morning, but we'll wait and see how this develops.  Kargiver, do you have snow of any kind where you are?

Woke up starving, a bacon and eggs morning, except I have no eggs now.  There's still bacon in the freezer (in individual paks) and an English muffin left, so I'll cook them up.  Never been so far behind in getting to the store for groceries, just haven't felt like doing it.  The cat still has a couple of cans of food left and a full kibble container, and the birdseed container is a third full, those would probably be the things that would send me running for replenishments.

Pingo hope you got a good night's sleep.  It's like Christmas, all that planning and work and then - poof - it's over.

So glad you have your new computer, SS.  I've a feeling we'll see a lot more of you on these boards now that you have something easy to work with.

Off to cook that bacon and keep an ear open for the weather.  Doesn't seem to be getting any heavier, and certainly not accumulating.  Hope you all have an easy ride to work.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

It was snowing here a minute ago but it has stopped now.  I just put beans and ham into the crockpot to turn into soup for tonight.  Good night for it, I think. 

TT - you inspired this thought - I am going to make a coaster for my desk to keep my coffee mug on - will cover a large left over ceramic tile with the contact paper. 

It's good to use up everything once in a while before going to the store!  Starting fresh for the holidays. However, the weather is going to be cold the next couple of days.  Low of 20 tonight - bodes well for soup!  Must take some bread out of the freezer to go with.  BTW TT I went to the dollar store yesterday and found the candles in little jars had been restocked so I got 10 of them and next week will start thinking about mantel decorations for this year.  Last year I did candy in clear jars - this year I want something different.  Might end up with a birch log candleholder, with the little jars on the side.  Can't decide whether to have a big party or not this year....the timing is awkward with Christmas on Wed. the weekend before is too close - but the one before seems too early...and Thanksgiving is so late that everything has to be crammed into the two intervening weekends.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

This is the year of G.T.'s big Christmas party and they try to have that before we get too close to Christmas, so people can come.  Also going to his house for Thanksgiving, and we have his birthday squeezed in there some where too.  Speaking of which, I haven't gotten beyond the first line you gave me for that!  He's so good to me that it would be easy to get maudlin.

Bacon hit the spot, Cheerio agrees.  She perches on the arm of the couch while I watch the morning news and eat my breakfast from a TV tray.  Knows she'll always get a little snack of this and that.

Snow, such as it was, has stopped here, just a light rain.  Suppose I will follow through and get out a bit.  See the die hard walkers in rain gear, still doing their route.  Sent an email to pumpkin's mom to see if we could meet up somewhere this morning, but haven't heard back yet.  If that's a yes, then I'll definitely meet her wherever she says.  Think he would like these cookies we made yesterday, and GD left me the 6 or 8 you saw in the pic, so will pack them in a tupper and bring them along.

Like your idea of covering the tile.  Once you sit quietly at your desk and let your eyes travel around, I know you'll find other things.   I see you've taken down your pics.  Surprised you were able to delete the whole thing.  Maybe they are making progress with giving us back some of the abilities we had to delete.  

I too, picked up a couple of those jar candles, for the younger married ladies.  reminds me, thinking of the Dollar Store, meant to tell SS that they have the raffia pkgs for the fill in the baskets there too.  Seems as tho I've got everyone doing the "family Christmas basket" now.  It really is good tho, because what do you get adults for a medium priced gift?  Difficult to pick out clothes, and with a basket you can pick up this and that that you know each (husband and wife) would get a  kick out of. SS is doing real good with hers, she's further along than I am.

Well, no emails yet, so will sit under the hair dryer and at least get that much done.