November 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Re: November 2013

TT - not hard at all to imagine someone offering you a job - I sure as heck would prefer an older person with some manners to the little brats who think their d*** phones take preference over customers - I think I remember talk about a hospital or Dr offece - is that where you used to work?  Or am I confusing you with Pingo?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Hats, thanks. I think the laptop would be too heavy for him to lug around. I envision he being able to use this at school and his afterschool program than he can pull it up on our computer at home if needed. tt, it's cool that you were offered job.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I know some schools require iPads, but iPads don't have WORD, Excel, etc., so he'd still need a laptup/computer in addition to an iPad if his school uses one. THe show their work on the iPad, but they are still typed in the usual Word document program. Only one of the schools we are looking at has it required now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Also the school that has the iPad the school gives it to you for the length of time you are there, so I wouldn't need to purchase said iPad.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You can use the SkyDrive, I think, to facilitate the use of both, right?  I'm still new to the whole thing...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I think so Kar, he also will have a mini SD card in there to increase storage.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ah, yes, if you get the 64 plus the SD...he'd have to be buying a lot of movies and apps to outgrow that!  I'm hoping the SD saves my decision to buy the 32.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

And since he doesn't have a credit card, he really can't buy anything! :)

I think what alot of schools are doing with or without iPad is having the kids use google docs...you basically upload your homework (typed that is) and then you can view/share, etc. at school.

This is what St. joseph's Prep does. That way the teacher and the students to view each other's work once access has been given. So the homework isn't really done on the iPad.

I know St. Mary's uses iPads that the parents need to buy. First year they have used them and they are having with the way it's working.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from keane5050. Show keane5050's posts

In response to Winter2011Bride's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I know some schools require iPads, but iPads don't have WORD, Excel, etc., so he'd still need a laptup/computer in addition to an iPad if his school uses one. THe show their work on the iPad, but they are still typed in the usual Word document program. Only one of the schools we are looking at has it required now.

[/QUOT

There is a word processing app that my daughter had to purchase.  She could write papers on the Ipad and print them using another app.  The main reason they used Ipads was to download text books.  I was quite surprised when my daughter started 9th grade and I realized I had to buy all her books.  Figure another $500 in addition to the tuition/fees/uniforms.  

My daughters school had the option to purchase your own Ipad or lease it from the school.  The lease was about $250 per year!  I don't know if all the schools are the same but from what I've seen they are pretty similar.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Hats, thanks. I think the laptop would be too heavy for him to lug around. I envision he being able to use this at school and his afterschool program than he can pull it up on our computer at home if needed. tt, it's cool that you were offered job.

you misunderstood - I said the tablet is definitely the way to go!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Thanks Keane, I know going in I'd have to purchase books at a Catholic school, he goes to one now so thankfully I won't be surprised by the uniform bill. Only one that we are looking at right now requires them and all the parent pays is the maintenance of $100 a year.Doubt he'd be going to that one, not because of iPad because I don't want to drive to Brighton.

I know that I can print to any wireless printer with my iPad without an app, so I'd look into that Keane.

What other schools require them in the area besides St. Mary's?

Sorry hats.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, you asked earlier what DS thought of the local high school, well both of us thought it needs a good cleaner and a remodel/new school. I thought the academics were better than I thought initially. DS liked that they had Freshman sports teams, but he'd still like to go to a smaller Catholic high school. I told him I'd try to get him there.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I got my grade...to get an A you had to have between 94-100 points...I have 95.45 points.  Haven't gotten it in the mail yet but she posted it in our online account. I'm so pleased.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

[QUOTE]

Thanks Keane, I know going in I'd have to purchase books at a Catholic school, he goes to one now so thankfully I won't be surprised by the uniform bill. Only one that we are looking at right now requires them and all the parent pays is the maintenance of $100 a year.Doubt he'd be going to that one, not because of iPad because I don't want to drive to Brighton.

I know that I can print to any wireless printer with my iPad without an app, so I'd look into that Keane.

Sorry hats.

[/QUOTE]

It seems that Keane has a daughter and Winter a son.  I wonder if the cost of uniforms is higher for girls because they are required to wear the plaid skirts/jumpers/ blouses/sweaters that are only available from speciality distributors while boys wear pants and shirts that are more readily available and less costly?  Just goes to show that discrimination against women is still alive and well!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Hats, I think it evens out because you have to get the pants at the same store and they are overpriced. The shorts I can get anywhere. He has to wear an embroided polo shirt, so those are on the pricey side and he needs at least four. He doesn't get to wear regular shirts.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Ran out to S&S, wanted to get out, plus wanted to get baking supplies in.  Never realized until after I got home and put things away and was looking at my mail - never got eggs!  I did get that blueberry pie I've been thinking about tho, and the chocolate ice cream to go on it!  No baking for a week now, because I refuse to run to the grocery store again.  My will power is not that great to just go in and get eggs.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, I posted my grade. :) Sorry you forgot eggs.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Winter, congrats on the good grade, that must feel good and a good example for your son!

tt, that's great that you were offered a job even if you have no interest in taking it! Must make you feel great that someone thinks so highly of your work skills!

Kar, i love mikes pastry and their cannollis but my favorite treat is anise cookies, they are so delicious.

Pingo, the shower sounds like it went really well.  I think that's great that you had so many children attend and they were well behaved. I love the idea of prizes for coloring pictures.  Maybe I will try that at thanksgiving! (There will be 6 children under the age of 5 attending this year!)

AFM, I'm at work now trying to wrap up things so I can leave early.  Both my kids were very cranky this morning and needed some extra snuggle time and were not very happy about me going to work. I have a feeling both kids will be very clingy tonight.  Luckily I made chicken noodle matzah ball soup last night and there is a ton of that leftover and I made pasta on Monday night that is also leftover.  Looks like a throw together for dinner. The meals don't necessarily go together well but both meals quick to make and the kids will eat both and DH too! 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Congratulations, Winter!  That's great!  I'm not surprised tho, it seemed as tho you were really putting your all into ideas for it.

Did buy stew meat thinking I might get one made for tonight's supper, but now it's too late to start that.  Will have to wait until tomorrow.  In the meantime - - what did I get for tonight's?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Saw your post when mine came up, Rama - either of your leftovers sound great to me tonight! Trying to think what I can throw together for myself.  Did minimal shopping today.  Can you make a meal on blueberry pie and chocolate ice cream?  haha

Had sent my leftover cinnamon cookies home with pumpkin's mom when I saw them and in her email today she said he hadn't even wanted a cookie, is sick with a cold.  I thought he sounded a little croupy Tuesday.  Hope your kids aren't coming down with something too.

Know what?  I'm going to put the meat on to stew and simmer now - I can hold off supper until 6:00 and that will give me enough time hopefully for the meat to tenderize.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Thanks Rama and tt. Rama I hope you can get out early and your dinner sounds good to me too. Hope the kids aren't coming down with something.

tt, do you have a corner store you could get eggs from? I may have to make beef stew on Sunday.

I'll be leaving in a few, have a good night everyone.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Meat and onions stew away, and the house already smells delicious!  Held off the hungry horrors with a few Ritz crackers and cream cheese.  Now, if I only had some pinot gricio - where is my mind?  Tomorrow's another day with errands to do, and I'm adding the packie store to it!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from keane5050. Show keane5050's posts

[QUOTE]

Sorry hats.

[/QUOTE]

My daughter went to Catholic schools all her life too but high school was the first time I had to pay for books.  I just "assumed" they would be supplied and you know what they say about people who assume :)

I live south of Boston so the schools I'm familiar with that use Ipads are; Cardinal Spellman, Archbishop Williams, Fontbonne, Xavian, BC High.  I don't know too much about the North Shore schools except for Arlington Catholic.  My neice graduated from there several years ago.  She loved it.  

You are giving your son such an advantage by giving him this education.  Now that my daughter is in college, I can see the work ethic she gained from Catholic schools is really helping her.  Some of her friends seemed overwhelmed by the work load but she is going with the flow.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

[QUOTE]

I got my grade...to get an A you had to have between 94-100 points...I have 95.45 points.  Haven't gotten it in the mail yet but she posted it in our online account. I'm so pleased.

[/QUOTE]

Congratulations, Winter. That is really awesome.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Congrats, Winter - you clearly deserved that excellent grade, and I'm glad the teacher was fair.

Keane, I totally agree; I went to private school a couple of HS years, all we could afford, and those were the only 2 years I really learned much of anything...sad, but true.

tt, Ritz and cream cheese, yummy snack.  I just had some PG; I would have shared.  Hope you got your wine before your stew is ready.  I can almost smell it...

Rama, I hope the kids aren't coming down with something.  My in-person friends' kids get super cranky right before a cold.  Chicken soup, excellent choice.  

Pingo, I have a strange craving for freshly made waffles...can you explain that?!  ;)

Can you smell the applesauce?  I just canned another 4 pints.  Also did a bunch of laundry including our sheets.  Need to make the bed.