November 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: November 2013

My stew, stews, and is smelling good.  Alas, Kargiver, the Ritz and cream cheese did not do the trick (what is PG you were going to share??), so I decided to have my dessert before supper - a slice of blueberry pie with chocolate ice cream - now that's the way I should plan supper every night!  -  OH, you have PG = pinot gricio??  Tomorrow's the liquor store run for me.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Winter, congratulations on your excellent grade.  Are you off until after the hols or does another semester start soon?

TT, while cleaning the fridge I found one of my special brownies with choc chips, nuts and coconut so I had it at 5 and then took a shower.  Now I have clean jammies on and am waiting for DH to come home - I made chicken salad with pecans and craisins, his favorite.  Just grooving to the music  on the '80s channel... I listened to the swing music while cleaning but now I am dancing to Michael Jackson et al.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Indeed, Pinot Grigio is one of my favorites.  Always have it on hand.  I like the sweeter grapes for wine.  Speaking of sweets, loving your having dessert first - I'd have a piece right now if I had one...soooo hungry.  Maybe a piece of cheese will tide me over.

ETA: hats, I just saw an ad for cranberry chicken salad from Honeydew that made me wish I had some, now your post...maybe I'm "supposed" to make chicken salad tomorrow...and pie. Thanks, ladies.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Nice, hats!  Where did you find sheet music cheap enough to transform, yard sales?

Speaking of wrapped gifts, DH's binoculars he'll get for Christmas came yesterday wrapped from amazon.  Never paid for wrapping before, but was afraid he might end up opening the box since something else was due to arrive in the same shipment.  Anyway, I expected a higher quality wrapping job for the surcharge, just FYI, it's ok, not great.

brrr, can't dally - need to start the fire and get going in the kitchen.  I'll be back after DH leaves for work.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Kar, it's from Pinterest - I posted for TT to show GT for the tags, mostly - but yes, I look for sheet music, especially books with no covers...and I have a stash, almost gone now, of music from church that they were throwing out...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning. hats, those are cute. Kar I've seen the Amazon wrapping before. DH was away for my birthday right before our wedding and he had something wrapped from Amazon, I thought it was fine for what it was.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Can't edit today. Kar, I thought it was ok because I knew he had it sent to me and wasn't in the country.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Nice pic of the pkgs, Hats.  I don't know what G.T. has in mind for his, am surprised he even has sheet music he is willing to damage.

Heading out this morning, bills to pay and always that chance poking that might bring me a super surprise for one of the baskets.  Up and around early, all dressed and have done a few things around the house.

Speaking of Amazon makes me think of the UPS  truck I see up and down this street, making stops at one neighbor's in particular.  I think she does most of her Christmas present shopping on line, and every other day or so, there's another box being delivered.  I'd like to be able to do that, but I'm a touch and feel person, and now a "sniff" person, depending on where I'm buying!  haha  Smart thinking to have DH's present wrapped before it reaches your house, Kargiver.  Even then, maybe tuck it away in a hidden corner, the temptation might be too much - speaking for myself, of course.  My friends and I have decided not to exchange gifts this year.  My cousin's extended family of little ones is growing, as is mine, and we'd rather give an extra present to the little guys - and gals.

Oatmeal, then wowie cake and coffee, so I'm well fortified.  Could be heading for the Boston stores in good shape.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Winter, I agree, it was OK, just not top notch...just wrapped in plain blue paper with silver band and amazon logo tag.  I thought there'd be a choice of papers and maybe a real ribbon.  But, whatever, he's a guy, lol.

tt, I'm the impatient one in the house wanting to give gifts as soon as possible.  DH is the king of patience regarding such things and even waits to open birthday cards until his actual birthday, not as they come!  I don't know if they were beaten as children for opening things early or not, lol, but he sure acts like it's a  crime against humanity.  Actually, he didn't even ASK about the blue box with the ugly tag...I know he saw it.

I would prefer to do my shopping in store, too, but being out here in the boonies, amazon works better for us.  Hate that they charge tax, now.  I'll be going to the Natick Mall next week for girls' night out with old work buddies so will go early with a Christmas list.  DH is turning 50 next March, too, so I've got to start thinking about that.  It will come up fast.  Also, party planning and how to deal with BIL.  Maybe we'll do something in Florida...his folks won't be back North by then...too cold.  I don't know...I'm starting to stress myself out.

ETA: hats, ah yes, old church music, good source.  My mother was our church choir director for many years...I should have thought of that.

tt, Boston shops?  I'm soooo jealous. I've been wanting to go to the consignment shops on Newbury for months.  Second Time Around and the one across the street...can't recall name.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I planned a 50th for DH a few years ago it went over well. tt, sounds like a fun day of poking. Oh DH knows to hide his presents to me well....VERY WELL! If I know what the gift is I have no problem buying it on Amazon, I won't buy clothes there. Amazon sadly is charging tax because every other retailer that operates in our state has too. They have an office in MA somewhere.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yeah, tax was inevitable, but unfortunate nonetheless.  I've bought clothes online but only from brands I know so I know how their sizes fit me.  

I could plan a lovely party except for 2 major obstacles: 1. BIL is a problem that SIL has refused to deal with for a couple of years.  DH is close to both of them.  2. His parents will be in Florida, and everyone in the family is very close to them including DH who would not feel like it was a party without them.  Maybe we should plan something for July instead up in NH.  They usually do something for the 4th...we could have a party for DH that weekend.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

I think a student gets out of their education what they put in to it.  While I understand some public schools are in a system that overall may not be good that doesn't mean all are bad.  I went to public school and took all AP and college courses.  Went to college and am doing very well.  All my friends that attended public school  range from MD's, engineers, laywer, trades.  I also know (not close friends) that went to area private/catholic schools and flunked out of college, some didn't even go and can't hold a job.   Several of us took the exams for a few of the catholic schools and passed.  After tours, figuring out we would get there etc the majority choose not to do.  That was the best decision we made.

If private/catholic is the right choice for you that is wonderful but don't put down public schools as that is unfair. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Hats, those sheet music packages look so nice. I have seen wrapping paper in stores like that. Never thought of buying it, since we don't have a lot of musical talents in our immediate family. Actually not true. My father played the piano w/o sheets. But now with DIL playing beautiful piano and her mother, who taught piano and played the organ at the church (plus she has a small organ at home), I will reconsider. Maybe this Christmas in TX.
    Went through a ton of e-mail yesterday. The Baby Shower was such a success. It was not my style of a shower, but I went with the flow. I would have been happy with keeping it at home with just a few close family members. Just the way they did it in the old days.
    Stripped the beds in our sons' rooms, I came across the tiniest little pink cap. DS and DIL must have missed it when packing. I can't believe it it really happening.
    Hope all your toilets and hot water tanks are flowing. Got an e-mail from Angie's List this morning. $59 for a flush out of the water heater and a toilet tune up. Normally $ 189. If you are in need, look them up.
    Allready, of course not all public schools are bad. And many public high school students graduate with high honors. You are so right; the students get out of their education, what they put into it. But unfortunately some public schools, don't care how much their students put into their education. Private schools make their students work hard. Our boys never had a free afternoon or weekend, while attending high school.  Summers were filled with 5 - 7 book reports. But the hard work did pay off. They both excelled in college.
    Having an easy day today. Overworked myself to catch up at the office yesterday. Have a good day everyone.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Unfair?  I did well in spite of my public school "education," and the only Bs I EVER got were in gym - I was the quintessential perfect straight A student.  I actually was so frustrated as a senior in English for being "taught" something I learned in FOURTH GRADE that I walked out and wandered the halls to cool off before my next class.  I had chicken pox in 8th grade and was out for TWO WEEKS AND CAUGHT UP WITH EVERYHING IN TWO DAYS.  From that day on I was angry that I had to go to school at all if I could learn everything they covered (including algebra) for 2 weeks at home by myself in a day or two.

ETA:  What is unfair about criticizing that?  I wasted my time year after year reviewing, reviewing, reviewing, reviewing, reviewing...heck, I stopped learning new things (except for math) in grade school.  That is except for the 2 years I was in private school.  That challenged me.  I learned things I still use today.  I still got As, but it was much harder.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from keane5050. Show keane5050's posts

In response to allreadymarried's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think a student gets out of their education what they put in to it.  While I understand some public schools are in a system that overall may not be good that doesn't mean all are bad.  I went to public school and took all AP and college courses.  Went to college and am doing very well.  All my friends that attended public school  range from MD's, engineers, laywer, trades.  I also know (not close friends) that went to area private/catholic schools and flunked out of college, some didn't even go and can't hold a job.   Several of us took the exams for a few of the catholic schools and passed.  After tours, figuring out we would get there etc the majority choose not to do.  That was the best decision we made.

If private/catholic is the right choice for you that is wonderful but don't put down public schools as that is unfair. 

[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry if I upset you.  I was never trying to put down public schools.  In fact, if I lived in a town with better schools, my daughter would definitely have attended.  I was referring to the discipline instilled in the Catholic school system.  Of course I am only speaking from my experience but I found that Catholic schools held the students accountable for their effort,  attitude, behavior and service to others more so than the public schools.  

It was a sacrifice to send my daughter to Catholic schools ($$) but the public education offered in my town was just not an option.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I meant to put down the public school system (not individuals/teachers in it).  Teachers, though, have their hands tied so it's not their fault.  The one high school teacher I know is being called on the carpet for not giving higher grades for lesser quality work; parents are complaining.  Great, huh?  He's about 10 years from retirement and thinking of quitting because he's good at what his job should be...teaching.

I'll always be disgusted that it took 12 years to "teach" me what I could have learned on my own in 6 months to a year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, to get an "A" in private schools is almost like reaching the moon. You must have been an exceptional student.
    Your experience in public school very much allign with our experience. Our boys went for a few years to our public schools, since our town's schools were supposed to be some of the better schools. But when the teachers started to use the boys to tutor their class mates, that was the end of public school. Our oldest was getting bored by reviewing and reviewing; they were supposed to be there to learn new stuff. The switch was very hard for them both in the beginning, but it was one of the best decisions, we made for them.

ETA. Let me just add, I am not putting down public schools. And I m not putting down parents, that send their children to public schools either. But we learned, fortunately early enough that public schools were just not for our boys. It was a big sacrifice for us at the time, but it paid off multiple times.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, I, too, was tutoring other students with the teacher's knowledge/approval.  Indeed, the As in private school were hard earned.  I was in "excellent" public school systems, as well, in 3 different states. I put everything possible into it; the only thing it gave me was a diploma, the right to apply to college.  And, I was behind immediately, by the way, because so many of my classmates at BU had gone to private schools their whole lives.  Suddenly, grading was on a curve, and I was at a huge disadvantage.

ETA:  I am putting down the public school system without apology.  I am NOT putting down teachers - my mother was a respected kindergarten teacher.  I am NOT putting down parents - my parents did what they had to do, too, and public school was all they could do.  Telling me I didn't get anything out of it because I didn't put enough into it?  Wrong.  I could not possibly have done better with the disaster I was handed.  I succeeded in college and career in spite of it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well, I can jump in here, only from perspective of my grandkids going to OLA.  They are learning a lot more there than the basic English, math, Spanish.  Of course, they would learn that at home too, but it's not the same as a day to day reinforcement of kindness, helping other students, politeness, and seeing that in the interaction with their peers.  I'm so proud of them, and what comes naturally in their interactions with others.  They are being taught that at school, and having to measure up to the standards the school sets, not just in grades.  "Service to others", you put it perfectly, Keane.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, you know, when we sent our boys to private schools, we kept getting  "dirty" looks and comments. No, we were not rich, not snoppy and our boys were not pampered. We did what we did at the time, what felt like the right thing for us to do.
    It is just so unfortunate, that not ALL schools have the same standards.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Social interaction is a great part of school and something I did get in those educational abyss years, admittedly.  

ETA: Pingo, the public school system SHOULD have those standards, but as my friend's experience today still illustrates, they do not.  Actual teaching is not applauded or rewarded.  I'd like to see anyone try explaining to him as he is being formally reprimanded for CARING and TEACHING that criticizing the public school system is "unfair."  He throws heart and soul into what he THOUGHT was his job - he expected an excellent review.  Now, he's considering quitting 10 years early.  What about that is fair, exactly? 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

They don't have the same standards because they don't need them to stay open.

Private schools have to have a proven track record of their students' post-graduate success in order to stay open.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

For anyone who hasn't had a chance to get out yet - make time.  It's gorgeous out.  Did my usual Marshall's stint and then headed down to Lynn's Big Lots.  Hadn't been there in a year or longer, and "you never know - - -".  No great shakes, just some household items that were a good price.  Should head up to Joanne's Fabrics on Route 1 and pick up some fabric to start on those yo yos, still hunting for the perfect size pillow to cover - small, rectangular.

Was talking to DIL today asking what little Lilly wanted for Christmas - thought her reply was a riot - she said, "Everything she sees, she says, 'I want that, can I have that ?"  and I answer, Of course you can -  - to everything.  So, I have no idea what it is she wants."

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I feel sad about your teacher friend, Kar. No wonder the "standards" are, what they are, when the teachers get critizised for being warm and caring.  Our public school systems need lot more teachers like your friend.
    Being a teacher today, is a job, I wouldn't want - no matter what. When our youngest son was in college, he volunteered tutoring in one of Philadelphia's inner city schools. After two month he gave up. Not only were the students not interested in learning, but it was a junior high school class, and the curriculum was what he had learned in grade school. He wasn't happy to throw in the towel, but he felt he was wasting his time.