November 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Re: November 2013

Thank you all for my birthday wishes, had a good day starting with breakfast with the girls. My phone was ringing off the hook with calls from TX,Maine,NH and Florida....didn't get my KFC dinner, hoping for tonite.

tt, LOVED your card, the eyes said it all!!

I went to Public schools, got a good education, I enjoyed school and was smart, could have graduaated earler buy my Mom said No....when it was time for my girls to go to school, they all went to public for kindergarden and then along came busing, so it was 12 yrs of Catholic Education for the four of them.   I was tuition poor for so long....there were problems some of the time, but its the additude of the student that is most important.  I wish my girls could have gone to public schools, when I went they seemed to have a lot for the kids, especially high school.  

Time for another cup of coffee and then its off to NH and Market Basket and the Christmas Tree Shop.  Take care all and Keep Smiling SS 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hm, that sounds like a very familiar to-do list...oh, yeah, it's mine, too!  Got a grocery list together for the trip I meant to make yesterday to S&S and then will come home to do those same tasks.

dh is taking Gracie walking so I need to get their hunting vests...more later :)

ETA: they are off.  

Ss, your post came up when mine did.  I got the CTS flyer yesterday and thought their holly decorated glass stuff is worth looking at.  I am going East Wednesday and will stop in.  I bought a few pieces of Lenox Holiday pattern, and I think they will cooridinate nicely with that.  If you see them I'd love to know if it would be worth it, thanks!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

tt, my knitting expertise is very limited....I did make my oldest daughter a stocking with her name on it using the afghan stitch.....never made any others, she hung it on her mantlepiece  along with stockings for the rest of her family...now that shes gone wonder what happened to it.   If the stocking your making doesn't get hung up, how about you hanging it (and the other one) in your house??  I love crafts and handiwork (have cross stitched samplers all over my house) but I also hate not having the recipients enjoying my hard (but enjoyable) work. ss

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

SS, wrote an ETA for you above, and since your latest came up I had to add, too, that not having all the hard work appreciated is the worst.  I feel stabbed in the chest when I feel like it was for nothing after a lackluster response...or worse!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Love your wreath, Hats. Just beautiful. Anyone, you would give it to, would love it.
    Speaking about crafts, we went to a birthday party last night set up in a rear room at Prince Pizza. The table decorations were many different shapes and sizes of glass containers filled with different kind of nuts. Then some cranberries and greenery from the yard mixed in. They all had one of those (several sizes, depending of the container) battery operated candles. I was in awe, they looked so real. Beautiful fall look. I was given to take home a small decorated trifle dish. Love it. Just the right size for dessert for a few people.
    I didn't get to wish you a Happy Birthday yesterday, ss. I couldn't post most of the day. Sounds like you had a great day. Best wishes for a happy and healthy year to come. Hope you get your fill of KFC at some point.
    DH left for work early this morning. We are having casual company coming tonight for dinner and a couple of card games. Making a pork tenderloin dish w/ haricot verts, mashed potatoes and cucumber salad. Then an apple cranberry crisp for dessert. Everything easy to do.
    Have a good day everyone.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sounds like fun, Pingo!  I love those flameless candles; they really do look real when they are in frosted containers or something like that.  For people with severe asthma that can't even handle smokeless real candles, they are a great option, and you can't beat the safety factor around little kids or at parties like that.  

So funny, I had Pioneer Woman on and heard his truck and thought it was DH returning with Gracie in a very short time - my heart went to my throat wondering what happened.  Looked everywhere for his truck and then realized my "surround sound" mistake, lol.

Here are my aunt's stockings with the names at the top chopped off.  Had another scare when I couldn't find them right away since we cleaned out the attic.  My heart can't take any more surprises this morning!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Here's a better one with the names blotted out instead of the tops chopped off

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Bdc is back to it's old tricks of switching between photos you've posted before.  I had to refresh a couple of times to see the stockings instead of Gracie on her bench.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Drats!  I've gone in and out several times and still can't see them.  I'll keep trying throughout the day.

Just got back in.  Ran to S&S for my $15 worth of groceries so I could get the free things I got coupons for this week.  Then swung by my son's and dropped them off there, since they are things I don't use:  butter, S&S eggs, and Crescent rolls.  Ran over a broken bottle someone had tossed in front of their house, so expect to go out next time to a flat.  The cookies I want to use for the pilgrim hats were $5, so didn't pick them up.  And only got rollos for my non peanut butter eating fam, still want mini Reese's to put on the ones I take to G.T.'s.  Will have to run out and check a couple of other places for a better cookie price.

OK, salad for lunch, then maybe I'll try a little raking out front.  Mentioned it to my GS, but he was on his way to work.  His Dad is doing his own yard this afternoon.

Pingo, the decorations you mentioned sound so pretty, and easy to make too.  Nice that you got to take one home.

Kargiver, hoping when I click post, your new pic will come up - -  nope

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Shoot, tt, sorry you can't see them; I see them consistently, now, so hopefully it will work for you before we move to the next page.

I hope you don't have a flat!  What an inconvenient expense.  GL with the cookie hunt!

I'm heading to S&S in a few minutes.  DH and Gracie have returned and we've had our lunch of leftovers.  Looks gorgeous out, can't wait.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

AHHHHHHH - oh, those are beautiful, Kargiver!  I've never seen that particular one before.  I'll go upstairs and see if I can take and post a pic of the ones I have - a Santa face and crossed candy canes.

Picked up a pkg. of mixed veggie toppings and just had a salad with some on top.  Last week one of the freebees was Wishbone dressing, which I don't normally use, so picked up their Greek Salad dressing - very good.

Wish son would drop off the stocking so I could be sure I embellish GD's with the same.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, you are so ahead of yourself, I am sure you will find exactly, what you are looking for.
    I mentioned those decorations, thinking of all the TG dinners coming up. So easy to make, so pretty looking and all useful stuff. Never thought I would like fake candles. Still, I don't love them, but these were at the right place at the right time.
    I love the decoration, I took home - mostly for the small trifle dish. I know, I will get good use out of it.
    Finished cooking for tonight as far as I can get. Tasted the sauce; it's to die for. Yum! Whipping up mashed potatoes and steam haricot verts will take no time.
    Now taking shower and get dressed. I like to take shower after I finish cooking, so my hair and clothing doesn't smell.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, tt!  So glad it finally displayed for you.  As you can see they are not exactly the same; if you don't have one to go by, some uniqueness isn't a bad thing. :)  And, free dressing is good dressing. ;)

Pingo, you need one of those hair stink prevention cooking caps on Shark Tank, hahahaha!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

When I was over my son's, pumpkin's mom sent them a pic of the baby in his bath with this long caption:  "Here it is, ladies, enjoy long warm baths, soaking up the bubbles, hanging around in pjs and then there are those loooong walks in the stroller."

There was a lot more in the middle, but I was laughing so hard I don't remember!  He's got a way of tilting his head and looking up at you - fit in perfectly with what she had put together.  She's got her father's Irish wit.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

You guys that want to debate public vs private schools,  watch the show Parenthood on Thursday nights 10p channel 7.

Some good storylines on the subject, and more.    http://www.nbc.com/parenthood/video/whos-making-bad-decisions/n43191/

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Here's front and side view of the stockings my mother made.  Because I'm not talented enough to knit the faces right into the stocking, I go back and over embroider them on, and am pretty sure I put just one Santa face in the middle, and then the candy canes underneath.  White is where the name written in red is erased for posting.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ohhh, how adorable, tt!!  As you can see, my aunt embroiders the faces on, too - no loss of excellence in the finished product - just as cute and appreciated. 

ETA:  love the jingle bells sewn on :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Had a couple of minutes before guests are arriving. Nice pictures of the stockings. Our DIL made stocking for us 2 years ago, when we spent Christmas in TX. She did them out of felt; then embroidered our names on them. She did a real nice job. I bought ours years ago ready made, when the boys were little, and wrote our names on them with a glitter pen. Next year I have to make one more :)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Oh Pingo...You make it sound like such a chore....NOT!!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Happy Belated Birthday SS

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

How did your dessert party go, Icer?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Exciting to need to pen another stocking, Pingo!  When is she due, again?  I think you said January...an excellent birth month. ;)

Speaking of desserts, I made apple crisp sans gluten today that was really yummy.  Oats, almond slices, sugar, and bacon grease for the topping.  I had cooked a pound of bacon today in the iron fry pan so instead of cutting in shortening, I stirred in the grease.  Stirred in a little corn starch to the filling and voila.

Small fire going to get us through a relatively warm night (34).  Gracie is sprawled out in front of it as if she'd freeze otherwise.

Watched The Miracle of Israel tonight on NBC; very interesting and hosted by Leonard Nimoy.  (DH insists on pronoucning it Nah MOY' instead of NEE' moy - it drives me bonkers, lol.)

We use the iPad as our bedroom clock, and DH went to bed early so I had to set it up so as not to wake him.  Before we got the Surface that meant I was offline until I went to bed. Hm, maybe my gift wasn't that altruistic...oh, well.  Share and share alike, right?  I wish he'd share the stove, LOL!!!

Good night

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Was out all day and had a good time - did a lot of shopping - found more old music for my crafts, a book, went to the library, saw DD and just got home.  Will now be using high-brow music (Beethoven) for it.  DD loved the wreath.  I am going to make at least two more, I think.  Will have to find ribbon, though.

SS, glad you got a lot of calls on your birthday!  Many more!

Pingo, those decorations sound lovely.  I have a secret thing for nuts and their husks.  BTW I picked up a bag of pine cones yesterday and am trying to figure out what to do with them.

TT, why not check MB for the cookies?

Night all.  Stay warm.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Kar, CTS had a large, lovely table all set up with Lenox Holiday ware....just lovely...hope you find what you want.

Hats, a friend of mine made me a framed pine cone tree for my wall, used graduated sizes of minepine cones.....looked real nice for many years on the wall.  ss

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Early to bed, early to rise - - a little after 6:00 this morning, but was rewarded with Harry coming up the walk about 10 minutes later.  We had a nice talk out there while I fed him.

I'm posting my pine cones, fresh this year off my pine tree, which is loaded btw.  Too bad you girls didn't live closer, you could have all you could twist off.  G.T. and partner twisted mine off for me.  Anyway, here they are in a cylinder, and as I decorate for Christmas, I'll tuck mini Christmas tree bulbs in there.  I'm sure you're looking for something more decorative, Hats, but now that we can post pics again, I can't resist every chance I get!

SS, isn't it great to be able to sit down and post whenever you have a minute and feel like it?  How did you make out in NH yesterday?

Yes, Hats, I'm going to check MB and Hannaford's and maybe Shaws for those chocolate wafer cookies for a better price than S&S.  If I don't find them then I'll pay their price.  Have to get the pumpkin for the soup too.  Was pleased that they had their cinnamon (McCormack) at a reasonable price, along with some of their other spices.

Here tis: