November Chat

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: November Chat

tt, isn't it so rewarding to see someone enjoy your work for years and years?  I have crocheted for about 30 years myself so there are gifts that are quite old "out there."  Doilies are a favorite wedding gift of mine to make, the large centerpiece sizes.  I have a pattern that is technically Christmas, but the bells and hearts make a nice wedding motif.

I did cross stitch when I was younger; not sure why I dropped it.  I do enjoy it.  In fact, when I was 3 I used my mom's hoops and actually made Xs all over it in different color thread with a REAL sewing needle.  It hung in my Daddy's office forever after.  I can't believe I did that at 3...but I really did, and I actually remember doing it.

princess, you are right to hold on to those precious items for the RIGHT people, not just any couple you know having a baby. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

That's a sweet story, Kargiver.  To have your father hang your first effort in his office - no wonder you continued embroidering.  Memories like that are wonderful to have to pull out on a day when you might be feeling low.  I see me with my red wagon full of dandelions I'd picked, proudly pulling it in to give my mother in front of her friends, and the smiles and appreciative comments they all gave me. 

Have a good evening.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Too cute, tt!  I remember wondering why dandelions were the object of such disdain, they were flowers to me, too!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi Everybody -

I want to wish all of you a very happy Thanksgiving.  I'll be in touch when I return on Friday.  Enjoy your time with family and friends.

mothermitzi

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

What a fresh breath of air! So wonderful to read about all this knitting, crocheting and cross stitching after finish reading "the other thread". Add me to the group of those busy and creative hands.
    During WW2 we stayed for a while with my father's mother. It was one of those very cold winters, and she was the only one, who had coal and could heat up her apartment. During that time she taught me to knit my first pair of mittens. They were light blue. I must have been 4 or 5 years old at the time.
    Since then I would always be working on something. Knitting, cross stitching, sewing. At night my father would read for us and my mother, sister and I would all sit keeping busy with something in our hands. Those were the days!
    I have boxes full of hand knitted baby clothes done by my mother for our boys. I also have among other things - two beautiful large cut-work table clothes my mother did, while she was engaged. I don't dare to use them, but I take them out once in a while just to look at them.
    I still do a lot of sewing for myself and for the house. But knitting and cross stitching has become more and more difficult - even thought I still enjoy doing it. I am happy to hear others are enjoying it as well. I hope it is a craft, that will never die.
    I have girlfriends, that can't even sew a button in their husbands shirts. I made sure to teach both my boys, how to do it.
    Good luck kar and tt with finishing your projects.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Mothermitzy, have a great and safe trip. And a wonderful Thanksgiving as well - P

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

In Response to Re: November Chat:
    [QUOTE]... I have boxes full of hand knitted baby clothes done by my mother for our boys. I also have among other things - two beautiful large cut-work table clothes my mother did, while she was engaged. I don't dare to use them, but I take them out once in a while just to look at them. I still do a lot of sewing for myself and for the house. But knitting and cross stitching has become more and more difficult - even thought I still enjoy doing it....
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

I think cut work is so beautiful.  That and pulled thread embroidery are so rare these days.  Tablecloths, especially.  So very much time and effort.  They must be treasures.

Hand knitted baby clothes too, that take all of a child's wear, even multiple kids and still survive intact.  Always hand washed, I expect-  so much of the demise of kid's clothes now is from the repeated laundering.

People of a generation where people who were not rich had a limited number of sets of good clothes, then also limited numbers of everyday ones,  do not see all clothes as disposeable, and treasure such things more, I think.

I did not say anything to one of DH's sisters when visiting last month. Early 20's, and among the things she was boxing up to give away were perhaps 30 or more all hand knit and crocheted sweaters made by her  grandmother, all since she was 18 and her current size (lost a lot of wt. at 17)
         Not out of fashion, not out of style, just cannot be bothered to put them in the washer a few things at a time on delicate.  Plus she only has 2 walk in closets, and her husband will not let her partition off 1/3 of the man cave to make another closet, so they have to go!

Even now her  80- something  grandmother is crocheting a fine evening type sweater from silk and cotton thread, size 1 and smaller hooks for the lacy additions she is making where yoke meets the lower front.  She already finished a pointelle knit sweater of fine Cashmere yarn (Kashmir) that cost the earth. This women worked in the fashion industry in Milan, hand made items, until 1980.  Quality things.   So sad to see it unappreciated.  
         Merry Christmas!   Don't forget to write a thank you note before you  give it away!

Pingo, if only for holiday pictures and special occasions, I hope your treasures are displayed or used in time by your son's families.   Hearing of Kargiver and other's continuing efforts is heartening to me.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Well, still prepping for Thursday.  I am trying to do a little at a time, as I am still not feeling up to par.  I just didn't have the heart to cancel this year, as I have been hosting TG for the past 15 years.  Plus, this is the the first time in about 15 years that my brother and family will be joining us, so I am really looking forward to that.

Hope you all have a wonderful and safe TG!!!  Love hearing about all of your recipies and "goings on!"

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Have a happy Thanksgiving, Princess.  Be kind to your body tho, I know it's hard when you want to have a holiday at your home, but others will be more than happy to help out with bringing more of the dishes than usual, if you just let them know.  You don't want a relapse.  And, it's true that noone really notices the dust kitties, it's the being all together that counts.  Happy holiday.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

mm, have a great trip and blessed Thanksgiving!

Pingo, I think passing on the tradition is one of the most special bonding times for the teacher and the student, don't you?  My great-grandmother and grandmother taught me.  Here is my first project.  They jumped right in teaching me how to follow a pattern and everything.  I was 6, I think...

Waggie, that is so sad about your SIL.  I can't imagine tossing anything like that.

princess, this year see if you can do almost everything ahead at your own pace.  Mashed potatoes you can even do today, and they heat up famously.  If you want, you could roast a head of garlic and whip that in with the butter and cream.  The stuffing can also be done a day or two ahead.  Just add sauted onions, celery, dried cranberries, and nut of choice to Stove Top.  Simple as can be but festive and homemade tasting.  As for the turkey, the easiest and tastiest thing I've ever done was (your arteries might want to leave the room here) put fresh sage, thyme, taragon, and rosemary in two melted sticks of butter and cooked it on very low for about 30 minutes.  Strain the butter and inject most of it into the meat and rub the rest on the outside. (If you don't have an injector, you can pick up my favorite model at the Kitchen Store, but I'm sure BBB, etc., sells them.)  Salt and pepper on top of that.  Put the removed herbs into the cavity of the bird.  Tent turkey until 40 minutes left, remove tent to brown.  It yields the most moist meat you've ever had and a gentle but substantial flavor.  Very easy indeed, and the raves!  So, two dishes will be all done and the turkey won't take much effort at all on TG.  You only need one or two veggie dishes.  Green bean caserole takes 10 minutes and no effort, but everyone loves it.  Why not?  And, you could ask a couple of folks to bring a pie or some other dessert.  People WANT to contribute, and this will take even more stress off of you.  TG can be fairly easy.

Happy TG to all!

Blessings,
    ~kar

Oops, forgot to take and post the photo of that first project!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Thanks so much kar-yeah, I think I have a good plan.  Cleaning people came yesterday, so that's good.  I also had them help me set up extra tables.  I am going to do the stuffing and mashed tomorrow.  I am going to try the crockpot to re-heat the potatoes.  I have a recipe that looks good (sinful, but good).  It has cream cheese and sour cream in it.  I think that will help.  I am also doing green beans w/shallots, mushrooms and bacon in a wine sauce rather than the traditional GBC.  I just don't like the GBC.

I had a couple of ambitious apps, but have decided to go with spiced nuts that I made this weekend, and then just dip w/crackers and veggies.  I am also going to put out marinated olives, feta, and tomaotoes on a rosemary sprig.  That should do it.  The good news is my SIL is so good about helping me clean up - I know I will just be wiped out by then!

I have my dining room almost all set! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Great plan and LOVELY table!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hats, for my own information, is the powdered meringue with the spices?  That's where they were looking for me in the store I was in recently.  I had looked all over the baking aisle, and was not sure what type of container I was looking for.
    Thanks.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I know I'm not hats, but powdered meringue should be with the baking soda, etc., right where you were looking.  However, sometimes stock planners doesn't have any idea what it is and it could end up anywhere.  Your best bet is to ask the manager if you can't find it in the baking aisle.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning everyone,
    I have never been so far behind for TG, as I am this year. Having a veggie house guest has not been easy. He was supposed to leave last week, then today - Tuesday, but now it looks like he is going to stay here until after TG. :( - actually Dec. 3rd.
    I am very upset about it, and have just not been able to get into the TG spirit this year. Our children will be traveling miles to come home, and I was looking forward to have a few days relaxing and hanging out with just them. Is that to much to ask for a mother?
    Sorry for my vent. I am hoping you don't mind. Mr. P is stressed out about it as well, but how does one show a guest, who won't leave - the door?
    However, I have decided, that when our children are here, our guest will not get special attention any longer. Our TG will be for them - not he. "Eat what you can - or starve", will be my motto. Bad me - but I am truly fed up by now.
    Or boys are expecting our Scandinavian Smorgas Board and I certainly will not disappoint them. There will be nothing for our guest to eat, except bread and butter. But I do have priorities.
    I am trying to do as much ahead, as I can. I have already gotten the "heavy" groceries in the house, and tomorrow I will bake my pies. My sweet potatoes will also be baked tomorrow, so I can just whip them up and finish them off them on TG. Cranberry sauce will be done today as well.
    Kar, I was searching for your make-ahead mashed potatoes, but was not able to find them. Would you kindly post them again? TIA
    I have marinated the olives and mushrooms already, and I have my pickled green tomatoes and hot peppers to serve. To do the green beans with shallots and bacon, will not take that much time.
    Maybe I am not so far behind after all - just feeling stressed out.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, that stinks.  You know, Trader Joes has some wonderful frozen veggie stuff.  The mac and cheese is delicious.  Stick it in the microwave or toaster oven and voila, a main dish.

For the potatoes.  This might not be the exact thing I posted last time (amounts are approximate), but it's what I'd do today if I were making them.

Roast a head of garlic (top cut off, drizzled with OO, wrapped in foil, 375 one hour or until VERY soft). Peel and cut 10 lbs of Idaho Russet Bakers into about 1 inch cubes and boil until very soft, about 20 minutes, I think, but test by mashing with a fork before dumping water.  Whip in stand mixer (or blend with hand mixer if no stand available):  whole head of roasted garlic, 1 Tbl salt, 1/2 Tbl fresh ground pepper, 1/2 stick butter, 1/3 cup heavy cream.  Adjust salt and pepper to taste, butter and cream to proper consistency.  I know there's conventional wisdom out there about over whipping potatoes and making them gooey and/or sticky, or otherwise ruining them.  I've NEVER had this problem.  Maybe it's the type of potato people use or something.  Whip away, I say.  Lumps are not good eats. :)

As a variation you could melt the butter with a sprig or two of rosemary before adding to the potatoes.  Remove springs and strain first, of course.  This would be a particularly tasty compliment to turkey (or any poultry or pork).

~kar

P.S.  These are not terribly garlicy despite it being a whole head of garlic; it's very mild.  If you want a more obvious garlic presence you could easily do well with roasting 2 heads for 10 lbs of potatoes.  If you steep the butter with rosemary, I recommend also doing the 2 heads of garlic so those two flavors are balanced.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

[QUOTE]I know I'm not hats, but powdered meringue should be with the baking soda, etc., right where you were looking.  However, sometimes stock planners doesn't have any idea what it is and it could end up anywhere.  Your best bet is to ask the manager if you can't find it in the baking aisle.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

Thanks Kar, after my searching, I did go and get the manager and they went to the spice section.  Guess that store just did not carry it.  I'll hit M.B. before Christmas baking time, but just wanted an idea of what packaging looked like and where it's shelved.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: November Chat : Thanks Kar, after my searching, I did go and get the manager and they went to the spice section.  Guess that store just did not carry it.  I'll hit M.B. before Christmas baking time, but just wanted an idea of what packaging looked like and where it's shelved.
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

If you do a google search on "powdered meringue" and click on the little photo on about the third result down you'll see plenty of pictures of different brands of the stuff. :)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, thanks for the recipe. I do mine in a very similar way. But how do you go from there? How do you heat them up the next day?
    So, when are you leaving for PA? Would maybe crossing paths at Logan. Our children will be arriving late Wednesday evening, and I am planning to make a lamb lentil stew for  them - something that will be better sitting waiting.
    It is the busiest travel day of the entire year. One year, when we picked up our son coming from Philly - he had to climb on tons of luggage to find his own. Literally climbing! It was just piled up on a huge pile near the belts. We usually mark ours with 3 different things. Not only do we put labels and such outside the luggage, but we also have several inside.  If one breaks, there will be another one. A luggage label, a piece of colored ribbon on the handle and a strap around the suitcase. They are easy to recognize.
    Have a wonderful trip and do not worry much about Gracie (I know your predicament, believe me) - sounds like she will be in good hands. A blessed TG for you and you and your family. - P

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Did you really do that at the age of 6 still have to show? Amazing!

[QUOTE]mm, have a great trip and blessed Thanksgiving! Pingo, I think passing on the tradition is one of the most special bonding times for the teacher and the student, don't you?  My great-grandmother and grandmother taught me.  Here is my first project.  They jumped right in teaching me how to follow a pattern and everything.  I was 6, I think... Waggie, that is so sad about your SIL.  I can't imagine tossing anything like that. princess, this year see if you can do almost everything ahead at your own pace.  Mashed potatoes you can even do today, and they heat up famously.  If you want, you could roast a head of garlic and whip that in with the butter and cream.  The stuffing can also be done a day or two ahead.  Just add sauted onions, celery, dried cranberries, and nut of choice to Stove Top.  Simple as can be but festive and homemade tasting.  As for the turkey, the easiest and tastiest thing I've ever done was (your arteries might want to leave the room here) put fresh sage, thyme, taragon, and rosemary in two melted sticks of butter and cooked it on very low for about 30 minutes.  Strain the butter and inject most of it into the meat and rub the rest on the outside. (If you don't have an injector, you can pick up my favorite model at the Kitchen Store, but I'm sure BBB, etc., sells them.)  Salt and pepper on top of that.  Put the removed herbs into the cavity of the bird.  Tent turkey until 40 minutes left, remove tent to brown.  It yields the most moist meat you've ever had and a gentle but substantial flavor.  Very easy indeed, and the raves!  So, two dishes will be all done and the turkey won't take much effort at all on TG.  You only need one or two veggie dishes.  Green bean caserole takes 10 minutes and no effort, but everyone loves it.  Why not?  And, you could ask a couple of folks to bring a pie or some other dessert.  People WANT to contribute, and this will take even more stress off of you.  TG can be fairly easy. Happy TG to all! Blessings, ~kar Oops, forgot to take and post the photo of that first project!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: November Chat : If you do a google search on "powdered meringue" and click on the little photo on about the third result down you'll see plenty of pictures of different brands of the stuff. :)

Thanks Kargiver.  I went to the site and did google on Joy of Baking and they told me I can get it at Michael's craft store.  That's easy enough.  Thanks again.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes, I really did it!  I remember doing it, and, of course, getting a lot of nearly constant help.  But, I really did do almost every stitch myself.  I was a perfectionist even then.  I was always ticked about the tongue not curling in a natural fashion.  Really, I'm ill.

Oh, to heat up the potatoes, put them in the serving dish (if it's safe, of course!) and just microwave at 3 minute intervals on high stirring and testing each time.  I say use the serving dish so they stay hotter longer, but, of course, you can heat them up in anything.

We are driving on Thanksgiving Day all the way to Altoona, 9 hours away, so unfortunately we cannot meet at Logan.  TGD is the busiest travel day of the year?  I thought it would be the Sunday after when everyone has to get back for work on Monday.  So many people take that week off and travel earlier than TG, I thought.  Oh, no......let's hope our 9 hour drive isn't 11.

The neighbors will be here, including the dad, tomorrow to go over the explicit instructions and expectations regarding Gracie.  This will help me, I think.

Blessings to you and yours, too, dear friend, et al.

~kar

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

A craft store, tt?  I never would have thought of that!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!!!  I count you all among my blessings.

~kar

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from EternalLaw. Show EternalLaw's posts

Another great Thanksgiving holiday season in Boston. We have a lot to be thankful for, including having moderators like BDC Dottie who routinely ruins every Globe message board she moderates. Maybe this year the dog will take over.

Hopefully BDC Dottie won't decide that your discussions about pies and holiday plans are no longer allowed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

[QUOTE]A craft store, tt?  I never would have thought of that! Happy Thanksgiving to all!!!  I count you all among my blessings. ~kar

Because they carry Wilton products and cake pans and Wilton also puts out a Meringue powder.