October 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Re: October 2013

I tried posting before I left yesterday but it was a no-go I guess. It didn't post. Good morning everyone. Icer, I remember too well running after a very fast little one.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!

Just finishing up my first of 2 large mugs of coffee, and it's a particularly yummy batch...ahhhh.  I wish I could sip coffee all day.

I think of you ladies when leafing through my Plow and Hearth catalog because I know it reminds you of me...one of our few physical connections. Funny, huh?

I've been putting off the next applesauce, but the apples are really going by so I better get on that today.

tt, have a wonderful time at lunch - can't wait to hear all about it.

Hoping to go to trips' house tomorrow; still not sure, depends on DH getting the day off.

have a great day :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Watching channel 4 as I usually do mornings, and one of the topics was joints hurting associated with change in weather - it's true, barometric pressure on any joint.  My hips hurt the other night and that's when it must have started the change - usual time frame is 10-12 hours ahead of the rain.

Good show this morning, two of their guests were a couple of brothers talking about creativity and even looking at your job differently, seeing it as a "calling" brings you into the workplace mornings with a different attitude towards challenges that may come up.

Wonder where this guy walking his german shepard up and down the street lives.  He goes up to the corner, turns around and back down, and now he's back up to the corner again.  Strange walk to take, since there are many side streets that connect throughout this section of town, would give him an interesting walk instead of just back and forth on a main street.

Finished the last scone this morning.  Already dressed.  Friend will be over around 11:00, we'll visit a while and then I'll let her decide her choice of lunch place.  Have to move my car out front so she can pull right up alongside my house where ground is level.  She has taken a lot of falls - in fact she is the friend who fell on my old front stairs which spurred me on to get new ones.  Funny thing is, now that they are on, with nice railings, she can't park or walk up the sloped driveway to use them, so pulls up to the back walk.

Did you find lemon soup Icer?  I don't put meat of the chicken in mine, you can do it either way.  Speaking of soups, it will soon be pumpkin soup making time.  It will be sad to see an empty chair at our Thanksgiving table.  Our friend's gentle presence will be greatly missed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

"Wonder where this guy walking his german shepard up and down the street lives.  He goes up to the corner, turns around and back down, and now he's back up to the corner again.  Strange walk to take, since there are many side streets that connect throughout this section of town, would give him an interesting walk instead of just back and forth on a main street."

Most people that walk dogs tend to avoid side streets,  people are more likely to have their dogs roaming free, or have electronic fences.

So we stick to the main streets to avoid dog confrontations.  (shepherd)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, hope you have a wonderful visit and lunch with your friend today. I've never had the lemon soup either.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I have a very easy recipe devised from one I got online.  At some point if anyone is interested, I'll post it.  Otherwise, there are many variations you can find by googling, and remake to your own preferences.  My nanny friend was the one to turn me on to looking for a recipe.  We were at Brother's once and it was during a time she was having a lot of trouble with her stomach.  She found their lemon soup to be very soothing, strange, as Kargiver said.  The next time the boys were down I invited her to come up and have lunch with us, and ahead of time had found a recipe and made short cuts in it because of time constraints.  It's the recipe I've stuck with every since.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, have a lovely time - I find lunch with friends so uplifting, like a little vacation from my fairly solitary life.  Enjoy!

The lemon soup is somewhat like risotto, just thinner.  In fact, I've made a lemon asparagus risotto that with a little water would be practically the same.  I like the chicken in it, but wouldn't turn down a meat free version.  I'm craving it, now...thanks, lol.  And, it's so cold in here...a perfect soup day, and I'm fairly sick of vegetable soup.

To the apples...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

http://tastespace.wordpress.com/2012/06/13/greek-lemon-and-quinoa-soup-vegan-avgolemono/

Greek Lemon and Quinoa Soup (Vegan Avgolemono)
    Adapted from Gena @ Choosing Raw

5 cups vegetable broth
    1 cup quinoa, well rinsed
    2 tsp olive oil
    2 small shallots, diced
    1 cup carrots, diced (2 carrots)
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1.5 tbsp white miso
    2 tbsp tahini
    1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (1 large lemon)
    1/4 cup nutritional yeast
    2 heaping tbsp dried dill, or 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill

1. In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Add the shallots, carrots along with a dash of salt and saute until the shallots are translucent, approximately 7-10 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.

2. Add the vegetable broth and quinoa and salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the carrots and quinoa are cooked, around 20 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, whisk together the miso, tahini and lemon juice until smooth. Once the soup is finished, add to the soup. Stir in nutritional yeast and dill.

Serves 4 (makes 6 cups).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That looks good, but I fear it would lack the creaminess the aborrio rice would contribute.  However, the quinoa would be a nutritionally better choice.  Have you made this one Robin?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

I love creek lemonchicken soup, too!  Its so hearty, but not at all heavy.

TT - hope you enjoy your lunch.  Did pumpkin's swelling go own enough for pictures?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

It is the eggs and chicken broth that make the difference (imo) and I no longer include poultry/eggs in my diet (when possible).

I have no idea what quinoa is, but I may try this recipe soon, as the other ingredients appeal to me and I like lemon.

So, no, I have not tried the recipe, but I remember the original Greek lemon soup...it was served at all the Greek cafeterias in downtown Lynn back in the day. 

PS: the edit button works!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Just came in from an hour's work in the yard, cutting down my peonies, and it's sweltering out there!  I was wearing capri yoga pants and a tee shirt and it's 74 and muggy!  Hope the warmth reaches you all soon.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Interesting show, tt, re the joints hurting. We could have told them all along. Also, many people don't put pride into their jobs any longer. That's why they are so miserable at their workplaces. The only reason they work is to get a pay check. I wouldn't say people should see their job as a "calling", but putting and effort into it, makes you feel you have accomplished something, when is done. Enjoy your lunch out today.

Nice to hear from you, Icer. I am sure it is exhausting to take care of Zach. Is it for an entire day? We oldies are not used to chase babies around. He must be in a very active age now. There are many ways to make Lemon soup. I like mine plain and creamy without anything in it. With the chicken stock and lemon juice, you have the best recipe for a bad cold, cough etc.

I made the best ever chicken legs last night. Even DH said so. I rubbed them (by hand) with a bit of oil, then put them in a paper bag with some flour and a bit of salt and crushed black pepper. Shook them well. Shook off the extra flour and baked them for 25 minutes on 425; then turned them and baked them for another 25 minutes. They came out nice and wonderfully crispy. Like deep fried, but w/o all the oil.

I am busy preparing for my DIL baby shower. Her doc ok-ed for her to travel until TG. The guest list has become huge. I wish we could keep it at home, but I am not mobile enough to do that; I would have to run up and down stairs, which I can't. So I am looking for a venue. Any suggestions on the North Shore? I am looking into Sheraton and Spinelli's right now. Pros and cons? I know, I can count on you ladies for good advise.

Off I go to my office. Have a good day ladies. Chat later.

ETA. Someone asked for Lesyll. I haven't spoken to her in a long time, but I have her e-mail address. I will send her one. Hopefully she is well and will reply here.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

This is the Greek Lemon Soup I like to make. Except, I use rice instead of Orzo. I think Quinoa would do well too.

http://greekfood.about.com/od/greeksoups/r/Chicken-Soup-Avgolemono-Greek-Egg-Lemon-Chicken-Soup.htm

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

ooooh a baby shower!  Looking forward to hearing about that.  So many sweet ideas for them on Pinterest - of course, she'd have to ship all her gifts to Tx so what are your/her thoughts about that?

I was thinking about some baking and cooking today but the heat, and the arrival of my Country Living magazine, are causing me to think that leftovers will do - I made sauce last night. 

Pingo, your chicken legs sound good.  I found a recipe yesterday for dijon maple chicken that I may try some night.  Doesn't that sound good for a fall night?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hats, the distance is a concern. But most of our friends have common sense, and hopefully will think of items,  that can be packed and shipped. They have also registered for gift cards. I generally don't like the idea of giving GCs, but in this case I will make an exception.
    I did sign up for Pinterest, but I still dont know, how to use it properly. Have to figure that out. I can see, it can be very helpful.

I saw that mustard/maple chicken. Savour magazine or was it Good Food? UK son  brings me BBC's "Good Food" every time he comes home. It is one of my favorite magazines, but it is $$$$ to subscribe to here in US. I love it, b/c it has lot of European recipes.  I have gotten some of the English recipes, you have mentioned here, from there.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Pingo - Pinterest - top left corner there's a search box - have you tried entering baby shower there?  that's how I usually start looking for things.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Robin, quinoa is a seed, and I use it all the time.  Make sure you do rinse it well in a sieve...it has a disgusting bitter coating that washes off.

Pingo, orzo would be excellent, but pasta is a no go around here.  :(

Gosh, I love showers.  I haven't lived on the NS for too many years to suggest a place.  How many is "huge?"  Wherever she registers will have her address, and gifts can be sent directly to TX if the guest specifies.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Pingo, I think Spinelli's is a great choice. There is also the Hyatt in Woburn, it's the glass front hotel. There is Angelica's which has two beautiful rooms (I looked at them for the wedding) and there is the Contential.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Back from lunch, and friend was  having a real episode from allergies - to Cheerio in large part, I'm sure.  Usually she takes a benedryl or some such before she comes, but that, as with a lot of other things, she forgot.

Found Red's with no problem.  Had a nice lunch.  She had the pot roast dinner and I had the meatloaf.  It was very good, and way too generous with the meat - 3 slices.  A little spicey, but I enjoyed it and she did her lunch.

On the way back down Route 1, stopped in CTS and I inquired at the desk about a problem with a piece of furniture.  She said, "Do you need to return it?  Just go to the shipping door, ring the bell and they will take it out of your car, and then come to this desk for your return".  The phone was ringing, and she was waiting on a customer, so I never got to go into details that it was all put together and could not be put back in the box as their return policy online says.  I think before I do do that, I'll call and be sure and then ask my son's friend to go back with me with his pick up truck.  G.T. says he think they'll take it back because someone will snap it up because it is all already put together.  Looked to see if their display one was still there, I was going to sniff the baskets in that - but of course, something else fills its space.

Regarding the shower place, I have been to a shower and a First Communion party at Spinellis.  Very nicely done and the food was good also.

My Country Living mag came yesterday and has already been read cover to cover.

Nothing else to comment on, I guess.  A multitude of leaves have fallen in my yard, just today.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

That is true, Kar. I forgot they can mail any gifts directly. Lots of places have free shipping. So far our list is 80 and that does not count the friends our son and DIL will add. He said "not too many", but everything is relative. Both men and women are invited. So are the closets family's children.
    Baby showers in DH culture is a big event. Almost like a wedding. My niece, who just visited from abroad, brought a special gold bracelet. We will have a small ceremony, where  our niece, that now lives in Arizona, will come up and place is on DIL's wrist. The mother is supposed to wear it until the baby is born. UK son is also planning on coming back for the occasion.

In response to kargiver's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Robin, quinoa is a seed, and I use it all the time.  Make sure you do rinse it well in a sieve...it has a disgusting bitter coating that washes off.

Pingo, orzo would be excellent, but pasta is a no go around here.  :(

Gosh, I love showers.  I haven't lived on the NS for too many years to suggest a place.  How many is "huge?"  Wherever she registers will have her address, and gifts can be sent directly to TX if the guest specifies.

[/QUOTE]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, I think CTS should take it back just on principle if you aren't satisfied; I'm sure the return policy that specifies it should be in the box doesn't apply to furniture - I've assembled my fair share of those things and know they cannot ve undone...that should preclude you from a return I'd hope.

interesting, Pingo, tell us more about this "special bracelet."  80 is how many we had at our wedding!

we, too, have a lot of leaves that fell today on the lawn...very pretty.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Of course now that I know I CAN return it, I don't want to!  I'm going to leave the rattan baskets out and in another room for the week-end, and see if the smell is just from them.  If so, I can live without them, the cookbooks I was going to put in one of them can go on the shelf itself, and the other shelf I'm sure I'll find a use for.  I really love the deepness of the cabinet side, and if the smell isn't coming from the "wood" at all, I want to keep it.

Have to get my trash to the curb, includes the rugs I took up off the ROK.  Such a beautiful day.  Hope tomorrow is another like this.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT, another thing you could do is seal or paint the baskets.  You can get Krylon sealant at Joanne's or Michaels, which should stop the smell, or you could choose a pretty spray paint!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks for the tip, Hats.  I promise to stop talking about my "island" now.  Uninteresting  to others, I'm sure.