October 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: October 2013

Robin, did you read all the comments? Costco's chicken has no MGS in them. Modified starch is not MGS. They may use the modified starch to mix in their seasoning, so it stay blended. Mixed seasonings w/o it will not stay blended. The heavier seasonings will sit at the bottom. That is why one should always shake spices before use. As far as fat is concerned, I remove the skin before eating.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Most packaged seasonings contain msg in hidden forms (different names), but, believe what you want to.

Msg/salt is addictive, that's why people crave this stuff.

This is big business, the food industry knows what it is doing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Robin, don't worry. I have mentioned this before. I buy all my spices in an ethnic store and mix everything myself. much fresher and definitely no MGS.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good Sunday morning,

Another beautiful day.  Football weather, leaf raking weather, and knitting weather.  Took my yarn out yesterday afternoon, watched some "Flip this House" episodes, and made good headway on another square.  Cheerio was content to have me in the same room for a period of time, and curled up in the corner of the couch and slept the afternoon away.

Sort of a final note on the kitchen island/basket - yesterday's day in the middle of the yard in the sun, seems to have bleached both the color from a wet looking reed down to a tan rattan, and the odor from a chemical smell down to an acceptable wicker basket odor.  Still airing out the cabinet itself, best I can in the house, but that too seems more like a new piece of furniture smell.  It's a keeper.

Amazed that the flyless bird still exists out there.  See him come down the middle of the yard, from the back, stopping here and there pecking in the grass for what he and the other birds seem to find there, and then down to under the feeder for the fallout seed - back up again the same way.  It's really extraordinary that that bird on foot and Harry or Fluff haven't met up at the same time.  Some mornings they're here, and some mornings he's here.  So far their paths haven't crossed.

Bought a beautiful fat, black, eggplant when I shopped this week, and will make eggplant parm today.  I'd rather have that than lasagna.  No problem getting that eaten up, usually only one serving left to put in the freezer by the time I stop reheating pieces for suppers.

Time to put the coffee on and catch the beginning, at least, of Sunday Morning to see what segments they have scheduled today.  Think of you, Icer, every time I tune in, and picture you and your honey watching too.  Have a good day everyone.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I've been out to MB already and the temp has risen 14 degrees since then!  It is so sunny and nice out there now - had to take my fleece off to carry all the groceries into the house.  Hope everyone can have a relaxing day.

GO SOX!  Another Red Sox/Cardinals  World Series makes one feel nostalgic, I find.. there's something essentially right about those two teams facing off!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Another glorious Sunday morning. So the venue is all set. We went with Spinelli's. I didn't like the no-windows function room at Escadrille. Maybe fine for an evening function, but not for brunch. Besides Spinelli's was very accommodating for the large group of vegetarians, and gives a good break for children under 12. Thanks  ladies, you made the decision easy. We didn't have to shop around too many places.
    Due to the time constraint (we just got ok, that DIL was allowed to travel), we have been on the phone all morning to call guests, now that we have the place and time secured. Just to let them know, a proper invite will follow.
    Have to finalize the guest list this morning, and send the invitations. DS wants to do e-vites. Says everyone does that these days. It is faster, and you get an answer back immediately. I am not that much for it, but since the date is not that far away, we have agreed.
    tt, good to hear you finally are happy with the island. Yesterday we went to the Container Store. DH wanted a larger bin for his birdseeds. They have baskets galore. All sizes and kind of materials. While he was looking for his bin, I was sniffing baskets. Non of them smelled of anything. So you could keep that in mind, in case you have to replace yours.
    The apple/cranberry/orange pie, I made for last night, was fantastic. All I did was to eliminate the cinnamon, throw in a handfull of cranberries and the zest of an orange plus two exta Tbs. of brown sugar. Very yummy!
    Leaving later for RI. It will be a nice ride with all the fall colors. When we get out of MA, the rest of the way is a very pretty ride.
    Have a great Sunday everyone.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Pingo, I'm glad you didn't choose the Escadrille, I think they are a bit pretentious and overpriced.  Used to love it but it isn't the place it used to be....I am sure everyone will enjoy Spinelli's. 

I was driving on Rts 95/93 south of the Pike yesterday and the colors were lovely.  So am sure you will enjoy the drive.  The pie sounds yummy. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Waiting for the oven timer to go off, signaling eggplant is ready to dig into.

Thanks Pingo, for reminding me of the container store.  Do you know I have never been in there?  We were having lunch one day at Legal Seafood when it first  opened, but the crowds were too much to even think of going inside, let along browsing.  My cousin and I are getting together next week, and I'm going to call her tonight to remind me that I want to make a stop in there and get the feel of the land.  Still don't have the baskets per se for the Christmas gifts, and altho I think theirs will probably be higher than I want to pay for 6, will check them out.  Will also go in "sniffing"!  LOL  I can see you in there, nose to the grind, so to speak! Thanks for thinking of me.

Glad to hear the shower decision has been made.  I don't think you'll be sorry with Spinellis.

You have a beautiful day for a drive.  Would like to be going on one myself, but not alone, and everyone else is glued to the sets today for the Patriots.

Hats, my son does his M.B. shopping on Sunday mornings too.  It's about time for me to make a run there, haven't done a shopping there in quite a few months.  Good to go and compare prices every now and then, tho I must say, I am doing good at S&S with the coupons they have been sending out along with their incentives off buying so much.  I think it all evens out pretty much, especially for a household of one.

Another note on the flightless bird - I don't think he has his long tail feather - that would keep him pretty much grounded too, I think.  Saw him hop upward on sunflowers, flapping wings yesterday when I opened the door not knowing he was hunkered down under the feeder, so he has some mobility.  I try not to worry about him.

Ding-a-ling - Hope there's a dribble of wine left to go with.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT, in your honor I am going to treat myself to a diet ginger-ale and whisky after dinner - leftovers again, but I love leftovers!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Why didn't I think of that at lunch?  Ended up with cranberry juice in a wine goblet!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Nothing like a good high ball!  Only I had a tall glass....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Good Morning All!  I can finally post.  I have been keeping up with your posts though.

Pingo - I have heard Spinelli's is very nice.  I have always loved the Escadrille, but haven't been there in a long time, and have never been to a function there.

Been having some personal difficulties, so trying to work through those.

I love Costco rotisseire chicken too.  Even if it does have MSG, MSG has not really been proven to be "bad."  It just effects different people in different ways, so if it bothers you, stay away from it.  Of course with my hyponatremia (low blood sodium) I need as much sodium as I can gets, so the more the better!

Kar - You are truly amazing with all of your cooking, canning, etc!!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good to see your post, Princess.  Hope your health is continuing to improve.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Haven't been around for 2 days and justing dropping by before too much time goes by while I race off to the chiro.  Migraine Saturday, and lead a canning workshop yesterday.  More later, after I get home.  dh is home today.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

PC I hope your personal difficulties are nto related to the surgery that your - was it your MIL or MOM - was having and that all is well healthwise for you too.

Not too much on my docket this week - in fact I don't have any evening meetings, a rarity, but the w/e will be nuts so I'll need to prepare.  I'll start thinking about the holidays and trying some new recipes.  Maybe get my trip to CTS and start working on my hostess gifts!  That means a trip to Michaels.....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. Not much went on this weekend. Next Sunday we look at our first Cathoic High School. We are going with t classmate and her mom. St. Joseph's Prep on the Brighton/Allston line, sort of close to where I work. Seems very nice and he came home from school the day of the presentations saying that he liked that school, so we'll check it out.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,

Nice to see your post first thing in the morning, princess. Sorry to hear you are having some problems. Hope they will be resolved, and that your health is getting better. Re the Costco chickens. According to the label, they do not contain MGS.

tt, when I mentioned baskets, I probably should have said bins. I had your island baskets/bins in mind - not your Christmas baskets. It is still worth to stop by and explore the store. It is loaded with small gadgets and useful stuff. Maybe you can find a thing or two for your Christmas baskets.

Ouch! Migraine again, Kar. Hope the chiro can take care of it today. Maybe you just have overworked yourself and need a bit of rest. Lots of arm and shoulder movements.

Had a very nice Sunday visiting friends. The drive to RI was beautiful. We are taking our niece for lunch today. She will be going back home later this afternoon.

Enjoy the day; the sun is out.

Ps. UK son finished his first half Marathon yesterday in 2 hrs. and 14 min.  All he cared about was to cross the finish line, not the time. But he did that in a decent time. I am one proud mom.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi Winter.  I'm sure you'll like St. Joseph's, it's probably a great deal like St. John's in our area, and that is a beautiful facility.  That was the plan for my GS, but the last I heard he wants to go where his friends are going, and it may be a public school.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

MY DS does not want to go to public school, but we'll see what happens. Some of his classmates will be going to area Catholic High Schools, so I think he'd like to have at least one old friend with him. It's sort of a newer school, so I'm excited to see it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I guess it's Bishop Fenwick that's on my GS's short list - was just talking with my son.  That's where a couple of his friends say they are going, probably kids he plays basketball with, and that's the love of his life right now.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

The others on my son's list are Arlington Catholic and Matignon. I know others are closing to home (Austin Prep, St. John, Bishop Fenwick) but those schools are a bit out of our budget, I'm afraid, besides none of his current school friends would go that far out so it works out.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Yeah, see, we are in this area, my son said the others GS has mentioned are Malden Catholic and St. Mary's.  Don't know what happened to St.  John's except probably the difference in tuition.  They have a daughter that will be coming along too, and have to figure in the cost of her tuition also.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Ah, high schools. Big decision to make. I can definitely vouch for St. John's. Both boys graduated from there. Not only did they get a great education, but they learned a lot of discipline and to study hard, which helped them in college. It wasn't a dance on roses there. Something some parents may take into consideration. 
    There is nothing wrong with graduating from a public high school, but the catholic high schools have much higher standards and expect a lot more of their students. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I was looking at Malden Cathoic for him, but he really doesn't want to go to an all boy's school, and you can't force them into it. Sadly the bus that picks up the kids is close to my house. I can't afford the tutition at St. John's or Austin Prep in Reading. Lynn is too far out for me. I work closer to the three he is looking at, so it should work out. DH works close to Bishop Fenwick so that might be something, seems to be the same price as St. Joseph's Prep.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Wouldn't that be interesting if they both went to the same school and played together on the sports teams?  Then it really would be a small world!