October 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: October 2013

It was only on that one click that I saw them.  Once I posted and hit post, the picture changed back to Gracie.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Still Gracie, even after a refresh.

Kar and TT glad you are feeling better and warmer.  I got my long sleeved tops out yesterday; the next week is going to be highs in the 50s consistently.

I have a busy weekend ahead and not treally looking forward to it - it's mostly have to but a little bit at the end may be fun..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Loving having this heat cranked up a notch or two.  Also put the storm window in the back screen door last night and that has made a difference in warmth in the kitchen.  I'm a contented cat this morning.  Not rushing to move out of these warm bedclothes.  Cheerio slept on the top of the back of the couch that sits in front of l.r. heat vent, I can see her indentation in the cushion!  Today she is right in the toyroom, stretch in front of the vent with her head against the basket I keep the kids' books in.  We'll be like two contented cats today.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

I'm so happy it is finally Friday! This has been a really long week.  Weekend plans for us include an open house, pumpkin carving party, and a parade.  Hope its not too cold on parade day.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Well, at least someone besides me saw these elusive peppers, lol.  I'm so sick of bdc being so broken!

hats, hope you can top off a must-do weekend with some fun.

Nov, gl with the open house and have fun with the lo carving and at the parade. 

tt, I'm in no hurry to ditch the fleece jammies this morning, either.  I never got the fire going, though, so my nose and fingers are frozen.  Time to seriously get this thing started.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Yes, you'll see such a difference when you're warm.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good  morning,
    Oh my, such a cold morning out, but we  finally caved in and started the heat last night. Nice to sit here not typing w/ blue fingers. LOL
    Kar, add me to the ones, who never saw your peppers. What did you do with them?
    Just started November's pork chop dish. How did yours come out last night, Hats?
    I e-mailed Leasyll, but her e-mail address is no longer valid. Hope she is ok.
    Nothing exciting happening here today. The weekend will be busy. Going out for dinner both nights. Plus we are still preparing for the shower. As for table decorations, I am thinking of just getting pink Azalea plants and stick in a small teddy bear or such.  At least it is something useful afterwards. What do you think?
    What is on everyone else's plate this weekend?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Nothing like a nice house plant, to me!  Pink azaleas sound good, esp if they are hardy so they can be planted outside in the spring.  Or even nice chrysanthemums - might be easier to find at this time of year.  Cyclamen, also, can be found in pink this time of year.  If your shower is near/after THXgiving, they have those nice pink poinsettias now too...or even pink christmas/thsgiving cactus are starting to come into bloom.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks, Hats. I never thought of Cyclamens. That is another option. I always feel bad for the people, who spend a lot of money for a flower arrangement, that only last  day or two after you take it home. I think, it will be a bit too early for Pointsetters. That would have been a great choice. I will be on look out for them. Maybe, if they are out by then, I will go for those.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The peppers became part of a huge veggie soup to freeze.

ah, the shower...when is it?  How many centerpieces do you need?  80 people...10 tables?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The fire is going, but I let it get so cold that it's still freezing.  Gracie has found her spot.  Maybe I'll lay over there with her awhile.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Anyone watching Dr. Phil?  I'm so sad for this girl...I've never heard him "insist" that a person take his help before today.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Finally got it up to 67, and I'm thawing out.  Should have started the fire as soon as I got up,but I'm honestly still struggling to put one foot in front of the other these days.  Got 'er done eventually, anyway.  

If I could count on bdc I'd post the jalapeño peppers I just stuffed to go into the oven 30 minutes before dh gets home.  Oh, well, you'll have to take my word for how fab they look. :)  putting in potatoes to bake now to go with.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

The frost is certainly on the pumpkin this morning.  Heat has been on almost continually.  Glad to have gotten errands done yesterday, even a second trip to Michael's when I got home and found they had charged me for 3 of something I had only bought 2 of.  Today is poem writing day for the baby's first Halloween, and then I'll put the card together.

Been thinking of a bread pudding the last couple of days, so will get that in the oven this morning before another day goes by and I've not made it.

Email from C.L. this morning asking what was going on up this end of the street last night - ?  Had a stomache and went to bed early, and didn't see or hear any police/fire/ambulance.  Sounds as tho it was at the neighbor's who have the troublesome grandson (not a kid, around 22) who, btw, is living with them once again.  Husband already left once for 9 months because his wife insisted on taking him in, went back with the clear understanding he was not to be brought into the house again, and manipulator that she is, she has her way again.  I'll give husband's sister a call later today and hope it wasn't her brother that needed a 911 call.

How was the supper last night, Kargiver?  Weren't the peppers hot?  What did you stuff them with?  I think you've done that before, haven't you?  Seem to remember you're stuffing them before.

Harry was out here at 7:00 when I got up.  Hope his owner had enough sense to keep him in last night.  I have not seen Fluff-a-Duff lately, but she has been down the street at C.L.'s, so hopefully she made it through the night too.

Well, off to shower and dress, make that bread pudding, throw a wash in, then the dishwasher on,  Hope everyone is nice and warm this morning.

Oh, Pingo, your plans for the centerpieces sound lovely.  I like the idea of a small pink teddybear included, will remind them of where they got they got the plant.  Fun to plan a shower, as Hats has often said, so many great ideas of decorations/favors on Pinterest.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning on a beautiful Saturday morning!
    I just love it, when we can extend our summer time. Europe is changing tmw. We, next week.
    Finally saw your pepper collection, Kar. Quite a lot. What are you doing with all those?
    Made November's slow cooker dish yesterday. Delicious, but too soupy. So I just used some of the liquid to make a wonderful sauce out of it. Great recipe. I froze the rest of the soup to use later. Thanks, November.
    I am so happy, I can lean on you chatters. Another thought came to my mind in regard to center pieces. There will be a lot of young children there. How about getting small toys for the center pieces. What do you think? UK son suggested that. I have already decided on the favors. A small baby bottle filled with Jordan's almonds. We put down our deposit yesterday. Things are moving fast.
    Have a good day everyone.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!

oh, gosh, tt - what a nightmare next door.  Hoping it wasn't a medical emergency.  

Dinner came out great, thanks.  The peppers weren't really that hot.  I cooked them in the microwave and then finished them after they were stuffed in the toaster oven, and the more they are cooked the less heat they have, generally speaking, but once in awhile you still get a fiery one.  I stuff them with 1/3 each of sour cream, shredded cheese, and loose sausage.  I'm getting the process down nicely, now, as, yes, they are quickly becoming a kargiver household favorite.

Pumpkin's first Halloween, how exciting.  I hope DIL is keeping a scrapbook of Nana's writings.

Pingo, I made 4 gallons of pepper soup to freeze with those green peppers in the elusive photo.  Glad you finally got to see the pile o' peppers, the last ones of the year.

When slow cooker dishes come out soupy, I whip up a quick roux and whisk it into the dish (around the meat), turn it up to High for 30 more minutes, and, voila, a lovely gravy develops.

Indeed, the heavy frost was on the pumpkin this morning, and today I didn't wait until noon to start the fire.  In fact, I need to throw some more wood on...have a great day, everyone!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I saw the peppers!  How amazing!

Pingo, how many children are you expecting? might be nice to set up their own corner for them to play, color, etc while the adults are talking - if you have a young teen or teens who would 'babysit' them for $$ it might be worthwhile...

DH is out doing yard work but I am too lazy.  and too cold.  I was out before 8 am and it was only 25 degrees so I prefer to get warm and cozy.  Maybe I'll bake him something...maybe not.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good Sunday morning,

Cheerio and I slept in a bit, and pulled up my bedroom shade to see a long winding piece of white crepe paper twirled around the topiary outside the window - the wind must have picked it up from somewhere and left it there - brought back memories of when 2 of my sons, at separate times, played hockey - they were both big scorers, and after a won game, we would get up in the morning to find all the trees/bushes on our front lawn draped with rolls of toilet paper!  That's a good thing, btw, a compliment for your scoring ability. - How many years ago was that?  Oh my.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hats, did you bake?

Indeed, the chill is here to stay it seems; 3 days of a fire in a row, and last night I even stoked it before going to bed...and we weren't too hot.  Winter is upon us!

Never heard of getting TP'ed as a good thing, tt, LOL!!  Good memories. :)

DH helped me bag up the soup to freeze so that's all taken care of and the pots washed.  Not for long, though, as I hope to make green tomato pickles today.

Bought turkey cutlets that are thick enough to pound flatter that I'll stuff and fry tonight.  Soup for lunch with chicken thighs I'll bake this morning.  No fire yet so that will warm the house up some.

Watched Shark Tank that we recorded Friday today since DH was busy with a friend yesterday morning working on his truck and catching up.  I enjoy watching that with DH more than anything else - we really get into it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Icer, have you been watching Sunday Morning today?  Good episodes.  Loved those 10 guys that still get together from high school to play "tag - you're it" once a year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

No Kar, I did not bake.  Instead I worked on framing some posters that have been sitting in the basement for 5 years - cutting them to fit some frames (they've only been sitting since March!)  whose 20+ y.o. artwork had totally faded.  It was tough work involving unframing, changing knife blades, washing glass, etc.  But they will be done this afternoon - that is if I can find my framer's points....uh oh! Can't remember where I put them last spring when I did my last frame job.  And I need a compass for another art piece but I can't find that either.  Luckily I know where DH keeps his. 

But we are having company next weekend so I will bake this week. Also strip beds, turn mattresses, do laundry... I find that autumn/fall is a fertile time of year for projects and ideas.  Art, baking, present buying, little house fix ups, planting for spring, the colors of leaves and harvest - I do love it all....and it seems to me that you all are doing the same things - canning, new furniture, parties, house hunting - plans and dreams.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You'll feel so great when that put-on-hold project is done, hats.  Hope you find everything you need so it doesn't get put on the back burner, again.

Fall is nice; I especially like it when we HAVE a discernible Fall season like this year.  Seems like all too often we go directly from Summer to Winter.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Wrote the poem for pumpkin's little brother, got his card made, and just finished writing out the other Halloween cards.  Thought it was about an hour later than it actually is.

Thinking of the usual array of Halloween scarey movies that are played the week before trick or treat night - haven't seen any yet.  Was talking to my son and he said the Turner Movie Network has been showing the really old ones, which  he loves.  Me?  I'm looking for "Halloween" movie and its sequel with Jamie Lee Curtis.  Love those.

Had a quick pick me up mac and cheese/salad lunch, so since nothing else is thawed out, will probably opt for a Celeste pizza and a beer.  Put a call in for afternoon after school that GD can come to help with the sugar cut out cookies.  Want to put little bags together for pumpkin and the little girl next door.  Don't give them out otherwise, because I know if I were a parent with a trick or treating kid, I wouldn't let them eat cookies made by someone I didn't know.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

What a productive afternoon of writing, tt.  Hopefully it will be on again this season, but we watched Halloween (our fav of that kind, too) last weekend.

Just was at the store picking up a few ingredients for kung pau turkey for dinner tonight, and it thought of you, tt, when I saw the Celeste pizzas in the freezer.  Almost picked one up, but rethought; our side by side style freezer doesn't accomodate those boxes too well.  Grr.  Maybe my next appliance splurge will be a fridge I actually like.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I missed it?  !   googled it on the tv listings and the next time I see one of them if 2 a.m. on Halloween night!  With my earlier and earlier bedtime, that's one I won't be seeing.