October 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: October 2013

I will be on the lookout for it.  DVR service is $12/month, I think; we tape stuff that's on at times we can't watch.  DH got his fill of Judge Judy when we first signed up.  Actually, we got it free for 6 months because of the massive trouble we had with our cable a couple of years ago, remember?  A cable guy was here every day for the longest time.  Well, then we got spoiled and kept it.

We go to bed early, too - DH hit the hay at 7:30 last night and was in bed until Gracie got us up at 6!!  We are both running on fumes, but I can't go to bed that early, and Gracie can't last that long without going to the restroom, either, so I stayed up.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Smells like Chinese in here with the garlic and fresh ginger sauce on the counter...yum!  I've never made Kung Pau, but I'm really looking forward to it. I'm adding ton more veggies than it calls for and using turkey breast instead of chicken so it won't be so heavy calorie wise but hopefully will be just as tasty and satisfying.  Oh, I better put the rice on...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Saw a deer in the back of my yard in the wee hours of the morning.  He was grazing where I throw out the apple peels and cores.  Will have to remember to put more apples on my shopping list.

Appt. this morning, so will be going out a little later.  Sounds as tho this is the last "warmish" day, temps taking a dip tomorrow.  Going to set up my Halloween bags when I get  home.  Still waiting to hear if GD can make Weds for cookie baking/decorating.  Nothing else of exciting news going on, but just wanted to check in.  I'll touch base tomorrow.  Have a good one.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Good Morning!  Got up at 4:30 - the house was cold.  Discovered that two windows had not been closed at the top after the exploded potato fiasco.  Went down and did laundry since it's warm there.

Winter, hope you are feeling better.  Any updates on your design class? 

I got to the Xmas tree shop yesterday for Thanksgiving tableware.  Feel better now that's off my list.  DH was impatient to leave so I didn't get to look for cards.  That will be another day of shopping!

I gave a Halloween party this weekend so I feel as if it's over and I can go on to the next holiday - but I bet Novem and Rama are caught up as you, TT, seem to be....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Surprised we haven't seen any deer...oh, wait, I think DH tilled the garbage pile in his never ending soil-making process.

Ah, yes, it looks like today is definitely the day to be out for errands.  Hoping this weekend is as nice as predicted, though, because an old work friend is coming over for the first visit in all the time I've been here, and we're hoping to hike with Gracie.

Have you rolled cookies on the new island yet, or would Wednesday be its cookie debut, tt?

ETA: Saw your post as mine came up, hats.  I've left windows open by accident for the same reason and been freezing in the am, too.  We had another heavy frost, and with the windows closed it is 61...I can't imagine how cold your house must have been!

OK, off I go to get ready for my chiro appt.  Have a great morning everyone

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Very busy Sunday. Getting the Shower more or less in place. Then early dinner out with a few friends. We went to Angelica in Middleton. The food was good a usual. But the place were relatively empty. The waitresses were waiting for customers, an unusual sight there. Probably due to both games.
    Everyone were having coffee, so I asked for decaf. But I guarantee, they served me regular. I haven't slept a wink all night. Got up at 3:00 and made myself some sleepy tea. Didn't work. Wish I could roll back into bed, but I have a doc appointment this morning, and my landscaper comes at 1 for instruction on what and how much to prune.
    Hope you all are well. Gotta run. Chat later.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. I am really better today and caught up on the postings. I went home sick Thursday, DH discovered I had a temp...102. I didn't  go into work on Friday. I now have so much laundry I'm going to have to do this week. Did go to a Catholic High School open House yesterday, it was lovely and DS is very interested in it. We have one this Sunday and one the 17th.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

In response to kargiver's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No luck with new pic

[/QUOTE]

I've seen both, Peppers and Gracie....Peppers look awesome, so many of them. I love them, but they don't like me, only way I used them now is chopped extra fine and added to the meatloaf. ss

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, Pingo, that has happened to me, too, and at 2AM there's nothing that can be done.  Hopefully, after your 1:00 you can take a nap.

Winter, 102, no wonder you felt awful.  Glad you are feeling so much better and were able to go to the open house.  Exciting times for DS.

ss, I think the peppers are kind of rough on my system, too, but it's free food and it's not so bad I can't tolerate it.  Kind of glad it's not all I'm eating, though, at this point; I'm so gassy, lol!!

tt, hope you are enjoying your morning out and your appt is just a small part of it.  I was glad for a reason to get out there, too...gorgeous day!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Speaking of green peppers, for those of you who are like me and hate chopping anything, and may want to cut a few minutes off of your prep time..

In the frozen food section I found chopped green peppers reasonably priced and ready to add to any recipe.

Used them in my vegetarian chili this weekend,  perfect :)

ETA: They sauteed just fine and are as green in color as the fresh ones, lol.

Imo,  of course :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Just back from the doc. He was pleased with the blood work. He is anxious, how it goes with the hip doc on Monday. So am I. I have been in real pain for the last couple of days.

Just made a tuna sandwich. Now waiting for the landscaper. Hope he shows up soon. After meeting w/ him, I am hitting the pillows.

Kar, your peppers show on page 1 of Oct. 13. That is quite a lot. How many plants did you have? I have given up on growing bell peppers. I barely get 2 or 3 on each plant. I tried the frozen peppers once. They may be good for chilli and meatloaf, but they don't saute well. And they loose their fresh green color.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Just about all our peppers are frozen, now, in various soups.  Only the perfectly sized jalapeños are left fresh destined to be stuffed, 18 (what fits in the special baking rack) will be fixed tonight for dinner.  I don't know how many pepper plants we had, Pingo, but they didn't start producing until quite late in the season and then they couldn't be stopped!  DH plants, tends, and harvests the garden for the most part so I don't know many details...about as much as he knows about the preparation methods.

Yes, frozen veggies are often good, and before I had constant garden access, I used them all the time. I like TJ's Farmer's Hodgepodge mix I think it's called.

Hoping you made your date with your pillow, Pingo, after being up all night.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Pingo, glad your doctor was happy with your blookdwork. Good luck with the hip doctor. Hope you are able to have a nice nap. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Have a good night everyone. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Have a good one, Winter, hope you're still feeling well.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Kar thanks. I do feel better today. Sorry I didn't post all weekend, I was trying to sleep. I passed in my homework (3 magazine spreads) with a disclaimer that I was ill with a fever. Hopefully they are ok. My poster was ok I guess, sometimes I don't understand her vague comments. Luckily I'm not the only one with this problem.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. What a cold chilly day today is.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

A vague instructor of anything is the worst; how can you improve if you don't understand the feedback? 

Still looking good weather wise for a hike with the East friend visiting here on Saturday, yay!  

DH had to leave 30 minutes early for work today, and I've already had leftover potato leek soup for breakfast.  Time for the rest of my coffee and to get the fire going.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Getting ready to go out, just finished writing out checks for bills to drop them in mailbox on the way.

After an hour's wait for dermatologist appt, met my cousin and we had lunch at the Cheesecake Factory, then hiked over to the Container Store to browse.  Completely different set up than I had expected, thought it was more of a factory bare minimum overhead place.  Quite nice.  And, I did check out through the sniff test, their wicker baskets - no smell.

Prowled the mall looking for some little thing for the littlest pumpkin, but at 4 mos, didn't find anything.  All animals these days seem to have either ball eyes or felt embellishment that would go right in  his mouth.  Have a couple more days to look, pumpkin himself is already all set with his first "paint with water" book/brush, and some M&M's.  Mailed my dozen Halloween cards yesterday as I went out.

Glad to hear you are feeling better, Winter.  This time of year is when all the viruses seem to raise their ugly little heads.  I've had vague symptoms myself, that seem to wear off as the day goes on, but then, my mother's belief was if you got around and got dressed, you felt better.

What's on the canning docket for today, Kargiver?  I give you a lot of credit for all the repeated projects you take on.  I understand why - to not put them up and instead let them go to waste - would be a waste.  Still, I'm sure lots of days you would just like to take a jaunt into town, or a hike in the woods with Gracie.

Heard from GD that tomorrow after school works for her for our baking, so will check out the sprinkle supply to make sure there are plenty in the right colors.  I think the last carousal I bought was all the Fall colors - I remember her asking why I had bought them so far ahead of time - - - tomorrow I can say, "See?  This is why I picked them up when I saw them.  They'd be hard to find now if I had waited."

Time to shower and dress and do a short list of places to hit this morning.  Hope you are all OK and having a good morning.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Oh Cheesecake Factory, one of my favorites. What did you get? I like the Chicken Maderi or Bellasimo Chicken. Tomorrow will be a fine day for cookie baking and she will appreciate the Fall colored sprinkles. I'm glad the Red Soz game wasn't on as late as they have been, can't wait for tomorrow's game!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Tt, you are so proactive!  Good for you getting all the Fall sprinkles ahead of time - have a great time tomorrow.  Great weather for baking.  How do you like the island?  I love CCF, too, and almost always get the fish tacos.  The Container Store rocks; got great luggage racks there when I couldn't find them anywhere else.  Our overnight guests love them.

Indeed, I fantasize about taking off and letting the canning fairy take over for awhile, lol, but like you say it's temporary and then we get to enjoy the food all year so it's worth it.  Tomatoes are on the docket today - green tomato pickes.  Then, the red ones tomorrow for sauce.  Once I get going I really don't mind; now that I know the process it's pretty cool.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Just amazing, what a good nights sleep can do to you. Was waiting for my landscaper all afternoon. Didn't show up until 3:45. Then it was too late for a nap. When I finally hit the pillows after dinner, I slept all the way through until 7:30.
    Glad to hear, you are feeling better,  Winter,  and that you  - even sick - was able to turn in your project. Hope you get good marks.
    You are right, tt, the container store is overpriced, but they do have containers you will not find anywhere else. And if they do have that container, I have searched for for a long time, I don't mind to pay the price. But I wouldn't shop there exclusively.
    We like CCF too, but feel they are a bit overpriced. Has anyone visited a restaurant called Carrabas? We drive by it all the time on Rt. 1, and just recently found, they belong to the group, that owns Flemming's and Outback. An Italian version.
    Yum, green tomato pickles. I used to do them, to be used for our TG dinner. My mother's old recipe. Haven't decided, if I will have TG dinner this year. None of the boys will be here. If I do, we will certainly miss the pickled green tomatoes. What are everyone else doing for TG?
    Getting ready to go to the office. I wasn't there yesterday, so I know, I have a lot waiting for me. Have a good day everyone.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Glad you got a good night's sleep, Pingo - you were treading in migraine territory if you'd been me.  Hope you're all recovered from that caffeinated night.  Unbelieveable your 1:00 appt showed at nearly 4!!!

CCF is wicked expensive for its casual style, I agree, but I do like it and will pay the once a year or so I go.  I've never heard of Carrabas...oh, wait, I've see an ad for it, but never an actual restaurant.  

Are your mother's green tom pickles sweet or sour?  I've made sweet before but am making dill this time.  I hope it's good because we have 8 pounds which will yield 6 pints.

Walked 4 miles this morning with dear town friend and Gracie.  Got back at 11:30 to a nice, warm house and now having chicken thighs, leftover baked potato and sauteed mushrooms all from other meals.  Quick and easy.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I agree with CCF though the fact that I get lunch the next day is awesome, so two meals for the price of one. I ate at Carrabas (next to Holiday Inn) before. I just thought it was ok. No where near the quality of Felica's or Geatano's.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Pingo, I'm glad you liked the dish!  I usually just strain the pork and apple/potatoes out. Never thought to make a sauce of it.  did you add a roux as Kar suggested?  That sounds like it'd be yummy drizzled on top.  Depending on how old the kids attending the shower are, a "pick your own" candy bar is always popular in place of favors.

Happy to hear you are feelign better, Winter.  

Baby girl was sick, so we basically scrapped our whole weekend.  I did catch up on a new show my brother tipped me off to - "The Blacklist"  Cuaght up on it on OnDemand, and am now hooked.  Its a crime/suspense type show.  James Spader is in it, whom usually I don't enjoy, but he plays this character well.