October 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: October 2013

Winter, I totally pig out on the fist tacos and don't have any leftovers, oink, oink, oink. 

Nov, that's too bad - is she feeling better, now?  I like power watching stuff.  I did that with Lost and 2 seasons of 24.  I'm trying to get into Orange is the New Black, a Netflix original "TV" series, but I don't like it as much as I thought I would so am stalled out.

ETA: just started timing the processing of 8 pints of green tomato dill pickles.  Fresh dill, garlic, dry hot peppers, and a bay leaf in each jar.  Smells good...I hope they ARE good because that was every last one of our green toms.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Novem I heard about that show, but my DVR is already going all the time...sigh. Maybe I'll catch it over the summer. Have a good night everyone. I'm almost caught up with the laundry since I was down and out over the weekend. I have one load to fold tonight and a towel load to wash and dry. I'll be headed out soon.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I think OnDemand means you don't have to record it, right?  Have a good night :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Yes and yes.  She is doing better, though not yet completely out of the woods.  She's prone to URI/asthma type stuff so we need to keep close watch for secondary symptoms/infection over the next few days.  What she really needs is a good night's sleep.  Hoepfully tonight!  We've been in the wee hours every night since Wednesday.  OnDemand does not involve recording - but it also means no fast forwarding through commericals. 

Looking forward to "cheater (MB rotisserie) chicken" tonight with mashed potatoes and carrots.  Nice hearty meal should do us all a world of good.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Have you talked to the doc about probiotics for dd?  Gut flora is highly involved in those types of things.  Hoping she gets that great night's sleep tonight, along with mom and dad, and she continues to get over it fast!  

Ah, the commercials.  Indeed, I love that FF button!

not sure if I should bother given all the problems posting, but here is an attempt at showing the green tomato pickles that just came out.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Sorry to hear DD is/has been sick, November. Secondary infections are the worst. Can she drink cranberry juice? That should help w/ the RRI. Yes, I did make a roux and added my secret ingredient as well. 2 Tbs. of red current jelly. It gives a wonderful gamy and elegant taste.

Kar, my mom's green tomatoes are sweet and sour. If I remember correctly, the only ingredient, I add to the tomatoes are whole peppercorn.

I do another one with tiny pearl onions. To those I add whole dry peppers, peppercorn, whole all spice and whole cloves. DH likes those in his martini, but I also serve them as a pickle for certain dinners. Like roast beef f.ex.

Thanks Winter for your info in regard to Carrabas. That settled my curiosity. We have been to all the restaurant, you mentioned. I keep seeing Carrabas in BDC's Goupons. It is probably not a good sign, when they sell meals for half price.

I did have a good night's sleep, but I am still dragging it today. Will leave shortly. there is always another day tmw. Have a good night everyone.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, I see the green peppers. Thanks for trying. Don't you love love that BDC?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I can see the pickles, now - try refreshing - so irritating that it's STILL broken!!!

just peppercorns to your green toms?  No vinegar?

your recipe for pearl onions sounds divine.  I adore cloves.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You can see applesauce on the dining room table in the background, too!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Tomatoes look good Kar. Novem hope your DD gets a good night sleep which in her turn her mommy and daddy will get as well. Pingo I went in there in 2006, maybe you should try it again?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, Winter - I actually opened a jar with dinner before they were even cold and they are yummy!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Short note before I make the cookie dough and get it in the fridge to chill.

I'm not a fan of the Cheesecake Factory.  Usually get the salad with the curly noodles on top, Asian Chicken, I think it's called.  Instead, Monday I got their skinnylicious hamburger, which believe me, was nothing to write home about.  But, it was my cousin's turn to choose the restaurant, and she likes it there.  She got the skinnylicious chicken club sandwich and raved about it.  I wished for a burger, we had gone to Burton's.  Next time we'll go there if she's not enthusiastic about my always first choice, Legal Seafood.

Hope you and DD got a good night's sleep last night, Novem.  Seems as tho anything is easier to handle if you can get your sleep.

Toying with the idea of running out quickly this morning, but it's pretty grey right now.  Will wait and see what happens after breakfast and I'm dressed.  Rain would be my excuse for waiting until tomorrow.  Have all the goodie bags set up and on a tray by the front door, now I just hope I have little tricksters to give it out to!  If not, I've an awfully lot of chocolate that I like, to eat up!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Beware anything with "skinny" in the name!  I like their Asian Chicken salad, too, but I'd rather eat half of a "fattening" something than a whole "skinny" anything!  Legal Seafoods blows CCF away and it's not even more expensive.  There's land lubber food there, too...what's not to love.

Have a wonderful time today, tt, - it's a great one for baking and kitchen reveling. 

It sleeted here last night, telltale pellets frozen to everything.  Reminded DH to watch for icy patches on the road...  How about out East?

I ate the whole jar of dolled green tomato pickles that I opened last night...I doubt the remaining ones will make it to the canning cabinet downstairs.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I don't think it did anything here, rainwise last night, certainly no sleet pellets to be seen.  Just looks grey and COLD.  As if on cue, my furnace just went on!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Cold here, too - no more being lazy about starting the fire...has to be a "first thing" on the list at this point.  I wish the wood stove would just kick on!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning. No ice/snow thankfully. We did have to give in and turn our heat on last Wednesday I believe. DS has soccer practice tonight, though if it keeps raining I'm sure it will be cancelled. Last Soccer game is Saturday until the Spring.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

We gave in too, and turned the heat on last night - and put the storm windows down.  I was too warm to sleep but when I got up at 4 I was too cold.  Ugh.  Need to get cleaning to warm up.  Glad I got out to do errands all day yesterday in the sunshine.

November I hope the little one is feeling better.  I remember how worrying it is when the little ones are ill and looking to you to help them!  Imagine what it must have been like for mothers in the old days when children had illnesses such as diphtheria and polio which were potentially fatal and you could do nothing but watch them either die or survive. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Gosh, we caved a week ago; it got down to 59 in the house and has been about 61 every morning after having a small fire during the days.  Last night was the first one I had to put more wood in before we went to bed.

Just confirmed with East old girlfriend that she's definitely coming Saturday, YAY!!!  Now, to plan  a lunch I can have cook itself while we walk with Gracie...maybe a roast chicken and root veggies...and something slow on the stovetop.  Or, a butternut chicken soup.  I don't know, so many possibilities!!  Definitely something with turnip, though...they are soccer ball size and blemish-free, so sweet.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    I have my Halloween stuff by the door too. Ready for tmw. I am giving out small packages of Gold Fish this year. We usually don't have many trick'r treaters coming here. Long driveway, off the beaten path. And if the weather is bad, no one will show up. I heard it is supposed to rain.
    tt, I would pick Legal's for the CCF too. All the "skinny" stuff is usually loaded with a lot of other stuff, that is not good for you, to give it taste. Agree with you, Kar, that I rather have half of the real stuff, than a full plate of the skinny stuff.
    Yes, there is vinegar in my mom's tomatoes, Kar. And sugar. But since one is not eating the entire jar of them (you are an exception, LOL) at one sitting, I am not too worried about the sugar content.
    Looking out my window, I see real October weather. Leaves are gone on the trees, now covering the ground, it's raining and darkish out. Better bundle up. Last night I needed my gloves. Everything I touched was ice cold. Better go and find them.
    Off I go to the office. Have a good day everyone. Chat later.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Taking a break before I take an hour long break to watch Y&R!  
    Everything done except the dusting.  She won't be here until close to 3 so, so still plenty of time.  Rain has made the decision for me - not to run out today.

Winter, GS tried out for varsity basketball and made it, one of only three 7th graders on the team.  That's his passion, he loves it.  

I'm not consciencious enough that I chose the skinnylicious meal because I was being conscious of calories - not me!  haha  I was starving and that section was the first I saw and felt like a burger.  They certainly didn't add any extra ingredients to make it taste better - it was totally tasteless.  As I say, except for the Asian Chicken salad, have a hard time finding something there I like.  Winter, where is Carrabas?  I know a new restaurant has opened up in the mall where a pizza place used to be, is that it?  Looking forward to trying Davios with gal pals.  No excuse now with all this candy in the house to browse in the candy store next store!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, Carrabas is on Rt. 1 North in Holiday in. I am hoping you try Davio's soon. I would like to go there, but it is always nice to have some recommendations. There is also a Legal's in the same area called Legal C Bar. I was under the impression, they only served appetizers, but I recently looked up the menu, and they do have full course lunches and dinners.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Congrats to your GS tt. DS did not make a travel basketball team, he was very disappointed but they only have 2 teams with 22 kids each. He was ranked 23....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

It's so hard to be that close and not make it.  He's still got plenty of time to play and probably will get more playing time on the team  he's on now.

Taking up my knitting to do a few rows while I watch Y&R.  My own delicious salad with tuna salad dollop in middle, a couple of choc chip cookies and a small snack size Mr. Goodbar to top it all off!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Next time you're stuck at CCF, tt, try the fish tacos.  I avoid the section of any menu with a heart or tape measure on it, lol.  Yuck!

Pickles don't soak up much of the sugar; you can eat the whole jar if you want, Pingo, lol, just don't drink the brine...like I did when I was little.  I saved the brine of the pickles I ate last night and filled the jar with one green tomato I discovered I'd missed.  It's becoming a refrigerator pickle right now.  :)

7th grade and on the VARSITY bb team, tt?  Wow, congrats to him!  

When is cooking baking commencing?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

I really like the CCF - I think they have a great selection of meals and it's a perfect place to take the kids because it's so loud!  I will say that the reduced calorie meals aren't good there.  I love their CHinese Chicken Salad and once ordered the reduced calorie version of that, and it was nearly tasteless. Won't be making that mistake again. My favorite meals they have are the chicken medera (winter, was that the one you like?), the shrimp bistro pasta and the fish tacos. Kar, I'm with you, never have leftovers on the fish tacos! (The pasta dishes on the other hand are massive!)

We are gearing up for halloween.  I am excited because DD1 is really into it this year.  We will be going around with our next door neighbors who have kids DD1's age, adn I think she will have a ton of fun. So cute to see all of the kids in their costumes.  I got DD2 (15 months) a cute little costume too - she is going as a ladybug.  She's too young to eat candy but I'm sure she will enjoy taking it from the bowl and putting into her bucket (and DH and I will end up eating it, ha ha!).   We don't have anyone to stay behind at our house and give out candy but we probably won't be out very late so hopefully we will still get some trick or treaters.

And the Red Sox!  So exciting.  I hope they win tonight because game 7 scares me. 

Good luck with your canning Kar, and enjoy planning the menu for your friends visit.  I'd vote soup because that seems like a good lunch after a long hike.  But either choice sounds declicious.  TT, enjoy the cookie baking.