September 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

September 2013

It's September ladies, how did that happen? The summer went by so fast.
    Had a lovely day yesterday. Everyone arrived on time. So good to see them.
    Went to bed very late, so I just got up. Surprised to see no posts from anyone.
    DH had an emergency at the office, so he left early, but will be back for brunch, DS went for his run, and will be back as well. Haven't heard from TXS and DIL yet. But they were both traveling yesterday, and that is tiresome. I am sure they will be up soon.
    I have an asparagus/ham strata in the oven. That and fruit will do. Think we will do lobsters later today.
    Have a good day everyone and happy September!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

Re: September 2013

Good morning--WOW--dark, pouring, and loud thunder. What a way to start the month.  I'll be over for breakfast, Pingo--sounds like just the thing to have.  I hope DH is back soon. I believe it is going to clear up--I hope so. I am doing a cookout- burgers, dogs, and wings. I have some lobster meat I will do somethiing with too.  Making a vegetable tian-got the recipe from Pinterest, with fresh veggies   from a farm store yesterday. I also got some corn, and made basil butter for it. I love that--so summery-. 

Let us always meet each other with a smile, for the smile is the beginning of love. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

That's fine Tulips, you come for brunch - we come for your cook out. Yours sounds delicious. I will go for your lobster-what-ever. I don't have to do my own then. 
    Sorry to hear about your ankle. How did that happen?
    It rained here this morning. It is dark out but no rain at the moment. The radar looks completely clear, no green rain spots what so ever. So I think we will do lobsters today, taking the chance to be able to sit outside.
    Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh my, it is coming down heavily right now here. The radar, I was looking at, was stuck on 8/30/13 - no wonder it was clear. DS just made it home in time. No outdoor eating today.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

We now have flood watch until about2:00--no rain right now. Will you still make your lobsters?

My ankle----I was playing Mahjjong on the computer, and me entire leg went to sleep, but I didn't know it. I got up and attempted to walk, and my leg was giving out, I grabbed the drapes, and pulled them down on my tumble! I was more worried the neighbors heard me yell--embarassing! DS had ice on it immediately, and I went to the hospital the next morning. Very lucky-it does not hurt barely at all, and I have a walking boot-aircast. And it is my left ankle, so I can drive OK. Bonus--I get a parking pass at work thru Oct 31st, so I can park right out front. We have quite a walk and metal stairs to our garage.

Let us always meet each other with a smile, for the smile is the beginning of love. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

What a silly accident. I never new it was dangerous to play Mahjong. Good you don't have much pain. Nice bonus - but don't try to get another one that way.
    Yes, lobsters are still on.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hello,  happy Labor Day week-end.

Surprise drop in visit from G.T. and partner this morning.  I had just folded yesterday's or was it the day before's laundry, stripped my bed, and I heard a knock at the door and G.T. say, "The door's locked, maybe she's not home."  He brought his gardening tools, so in between 3 different downpours he was out there pruning and weeding, and doing a general cutting back.  Looks so much better, especially the wisteria.  His partner sat at the table with me while I peeled, cored, and sliced apples and made an apple crisp.  Those cortland apples are just right for that dessert, have a nice tartness to blend with the white and brown sugars.  Lunch was my old standby, the brown rice skillet and sauteed chicken tenders with salad.  Told them I'll have to come up with a new stand by, but they seem to like it each time I make it for them, so maybe not.  As I was at the door waving goodbye to them, Newton DIL called and said she would be down tomorrow.  So, my boring week-end is turning into a nice one afterall.

Sorry to hear about  your ankle, Tulips.  I play a few games of MahJong every day, no mishaps yet.

Must be low tide, wonderful smell coming in window - crazy I know, but I've always loved that smell.  Cool air which will be nice for sleeping tonight, after I get some more sheets washed for bed.

Local police is pulling them over left and right as I sit here - drivers not knowing his hiding spot (I don't know where it is either) who drive right through the stop sign.  All you hear is a beep beep of his siren and then see the flashing blue lights.

I'd better get a move on to get that wash in and think about tomorrow's lunch.  Since I don't know how many are coming with DIL, think I'll make a big skillet of American Chop Suey tonight.  That always taste even better on the second day.  Half of the apple crisp is left, didn't sent anything home with G.T. because they were meeting friends and going out to supper.  Between the crisp and the whoopie pies, there'll be enough dessert for 2 or 6.

Hope you are all enjoying the long week-end.

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I was out driving in the storm today; hail and thunder and lightening flooding and people pulling over...I kept going, reasoning that it was coming from the west and I was heading west so I was driving out of it.  Turned out I was right; we soon came out into more reasonable rain and then clearing.   whew!  and it's nice now.  Hope tomorrow is a nice day; I'm going to veg out totally.  I want to come to Tulips' cook out, though.

Tulips, that's quite a story.  I better stop playing Mah-jongg.  It's a pretty recent addiction with me, I just got access to the free games with a new computer I got in the spring.  The Pinterest problem is much worse...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Hope everyone is ok. Haven't heard from several of you this weekend. Hopefully just busy celebrating the last weekend of the summer.
    Nice you got visitors after all, tt. After the heavy rain in the morning, the afternoon cleared up. Did you get some pool time in, Winter? Don't go west today Hats, another band is on it's way.
    Had a wonderful day w/ my family yesterday. The boys and DIL wanted to take us out for our anniversary dinner, but we insisted for them not to. 5 people eating out cost a fortune. Instead we did the lobsters last night. Lobsters (the males had 2 each), steamers and UKS shucked oysters - with nice beer and wine. All for less than $90, and we had a marvelous time.
    Ready to go out for breakfast and this afternoon we are going to DH's sister.So no cooking today.
    Hope you all will have a nice Labor Day. Chat later.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Glad you had such a nice day yesterday, Pingo.

DIL called and 3 of them will be down in about an hour.  Made the chop suey last night, and whoopie pies are again out of the freezer, so all set food-wize.  DIL enjoys putting the salad together, so I'll leave that for her.

Kargiver, I had one of the pickle jar cuke pickles last night with my supper - delicious.  It hasn't been that many days since I put the quarters in there, but long enough to get a nice taste.  Are you busy picking veggies/fruits and canning?  See you haven't been on this week-end.

I hate to drive through torrential rain, Hats.  Last time that happened my cousin and I were up "Winnie" area on a winding country road.  I pulled over, the rain was so hard I couldn't see.  Actually pulling over on that road with all the curves, was probably as dangerous as it would have been to keep driving.  Someone coming around the corner could have easily driven into me.

Quiet around here, some neighbors, I think, are away.  Always glad when I see my smoking neighbor's curtain on THE room open, hate to be the only one around, makes me a little uneasy.

Miss Fluff a Duff, Kitty short legs came calling for her kibble this morning, but no Harry.  Neighbor hasn't seen him today either, so maybe his owner is keeping him in for a bit.  Loads of birds at the feeder.  G.T. tied up the sunflowers and now I'm wondering how I'm going to get in at it to refill it.  Maybe from the other side.

Time to make sure there are enough bottles of water in fridge, and that the teakettle is full.  No rain yet today, but I'm sure there will be a few showers before the day is over.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

Poof--my post just disappeared. Now I know what you all mean..

OK_You all have been warned on the dangers of Mahjong!

Pingo- I should have dropped by for your seafood feast-sounds yummy. Nice and relaxing at home--seems we all rather prefer that. I used to think the world was ending if I didn't go out to eat at least once a week- then we were up to 3-4 times a week. Wish I had some of that $$ back! But we had fun---money well spent. Now I enjoy cooking and having everyone over.

Had a nice late afternoon with the family, my angel GD, also,  and my neighbor came over. Too much food, but plenty of leftovers for today and tomorrow.  GD is very smart, we were talking about dreams, and she quietly looked up on her IPad to tell us what  they meant.

TT-you are busy with your company--enjoy todays visit.

Hats--do you live in MA? For some reason, I thought you lived south-maybe in VA.

Winter-it sure is hot enough for the pool-I hope you are getting in some last swims....

GOing to start gathering the laundry.....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

We got started early, had carrot cake muffins for breakfast, and have completed a lot of outdoor work.  Now I've taken a shower, not a three minute in and out shower, but a "got to wash my hands with the nail brush first, shampoo, conditioner, exfoliator, pumice stone, loooonnnnng shower" to make sure that all the little dirt and dead stuff deposits are gone. And BTW DD is gone back to school so there's a bunch of bottles containing dribs and drabs of various beauty preparations - not enough left to justify hauling it back to school so Mummy gets to use it all up....Laundry is downstairs waiting to be done in the intervals of other activities today.

Now we'll have a luxurious lunch of chicken salad sandwiches and watch the ball game!  (I'll read....)  It's the beginning of September and the Sox are in first place - someone in this family is excited....

Yes, Tulips, I do live in MA.  I have lived in VA before, though, but perhaps you are thinking of CT-DC, whom we have not heard from for a while, BTW.  CT, are you out there?

I played three games of Mah-jongg today so I guess the new school year is not a good time to resolve to quit Laughing

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Glad your cookout went well, Tulips. Hope all your dreams had good meanings.
    Enjoy your visit with Newton times 3, tt. Haven't had chop suey for a while. Now I am craving it - and that is with a full stomach.
    Speaking of torrential rain. We just came home driving through it on 128. Not only did it come from the sky, but Rt. 128 was flooded several places as well. Don't understand, why they can't fix that problem. They keep spending money on paving it, but some drainage would be better.
    Had a nice breakfast at our little diner in Wakefield. Not a fancy place, but the food is very good. The boys have been there, but first time we took DIL. She loved it too. Their blueberry pancakes have more blueberries than cake.
    UKS wanted to go to Costco, so we took a ride up there, but it was strange to see the parking lot empty. Closed due to Labor Day. The grocery stores are open though.
    DH is watching US Open. The young people all went in for a nap, I guess. Thinking of joining them for a little rest, before we go to my SIL's.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hats, we posted at the same time, so I didn't see your post until afterwards. You deserved that shower after working in the yard.
    We came back in torrential rain, but now the sun is out. Did you not have rain where you are?
    You must be missing DD, now she has gone back to school. I will miss mine when they all leave Wednesday. Always a down day for me. But in the meantime, I am enjoying them so much while it last.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Pingo; we haven't had any rain, although we have heard plenty of thunder!  In fact, I just ate my sandwich on the porch - it was sunny when I went out but got dark and thunderous.  I felt one drop but no luck.  We are still needing rain here - yesterday only produced about a 1/4 inch if that.  My hydrangeas have been drooping for two weeks for lack of rain.  Microclimates; gotta love them!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

My "Newton times 3" have just left.  Ended up shopping for sneakers, a backpack, football gloves, for the 12 yr. old,  and a backpack for Lilly.  Made a stop back here for desserts (times 3! ice cream cones, apple crisp, whoopie pies!) and now they're headed back with a grocery shopping excursion on the way.  I'm pooped.  They too, hit torrential rain on 128, Pingo.  No rain here today, tho I do wish we'd get one more good heavy downpour.

P.S. Their Nana vowed next visit will be just us "Nana's" !

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Hi. Everyone seems to ave had a nice weakened. We got rain today, and I'm think I'm sort of near a couple of you. Sadly we didn't get pool time, when we were ready Mother Nature wasn't. Design, maybe one night after work will be nice. Tulips lovely to hear from you, so sorry about your ankle. Pingo you seem to be having a wonderful time with your family. Tt, what a terrific couple of days you've had. So nice you got to go shopping with Lily and brother. Funny I had chop suey SaturdY night at Red's Kitchen in Peabody on Route 1 North, it's very good. Hats, when do you go back to school? DS goes back tomorrow. He is all ready.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, ladies!

posted a quick hello in Aug by accident when I finally got internet access having messed up our router for two long days.

watching a movie with DH - will catch up tomorrow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Private school, we go back a little later Wink  Still no rain here but we did see a rainbow!  We had dinner (soup and bread) outside as well.  Winter, I'm sorry you didn't get to swim! 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Good Morning All,
    Had lots of catching up to do on the boards!  Tulips - so nice to hear from you, we have all been thinking of you.

TT - Glad you got some visitors!

We ended up doing a last minute overnight trip to Kennebunkport.  We went on Sunday and the weather was beautiful!  Found a beautiful little place to stay on the water, that was pet-friendly, so Spencer came with us an had a blast!  We took him to the beach and he was so silly, it was really a lot of fun.

Traffic was back today, kids back to school, everyone back from vacation.  Summer's over, but the fall is beautiful too!

Have a great day everyone!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Princess, what a fun last minute excursion.  You were lucky to find an available pet friendly place to stay.  I'm assuming you did this online before heading up there.  Did you take any pics of Silly Spencer at the beach - and are you able to post pics on here?  I'm still not able.  Haven't taken any in a long while because of that.

Little Miss FluffaNutta has, I'm afraid, taken over this eating spot.  Harry appeared last night and walked - slinked - slow motion over to where his plate usually is put down.  Kept an eye out up toward the shrubs - and I realized FluffaNutta was up there watching him.  This morning no Harry, but Fluff came boldly close (for her), and talked a little until I opened the door to put out some of her favorite kibble.  Dashed back away, but then as soon as I had stepped away from the door, she came down and ate.  Harry, Harry, Harry, assert yourself!

Yes, it was fun with the kids yesterday.  Sneakers were the main concern so we headed to Famous Footwear which was mobbed, but they still had a good assortment/supply of sneakers for all ages.  The 12 year old is a funny kid, I'm not quite sure what it is - when we were out shopping before, as soon as we hit the store it was, "I have lots of clothes, I really don't need anything."  I know part of it is because being a regular boy he doesn't like "shopping" period, but he had on these raggy sneakers that he couldn't have possibly wanted to go to school in today, so he DID need new sneakers.  Unlacing them enough to loosen up to fit was a chore that was easier dismissed by "These are too small, I can't even get my foot into them."  Then when I tried to unlace them for him he took them back with, "Oh, I can do it.  I was just thrown off by - - - -".  His Nana was ready to walk out with none, but again, I said, "You don't want to wear these to school tomorrow," and we stuck it out.  Hope the ones she bought for him really are comfortable.  We'll find out after a week or so of him wearing them.  He's quite a talker, and I think if we go again, I'll sort of give him a heads up of "Once we get in the store, no chatter except to say "Yes, I like that" or "No, I don't like that." !  His Nana did the buying yesterday, I was just along for moral support - which she needed!  Lilly Bug OTOH, LOVED everything she saw - typical little girl!  Her Nana had already bought her a backpack but she needed this second one, because the first one she "absolutely LOVED" and she might forget it at school, so this was the take to school one!  Too much!  -  I can see you shaking your head, Pingo, but wait til you have grandkids/great grandkids, and you'll see - what we wouldn't do with our own, we do with them!

Today is an "out" day for me, so now that I've  had my coffee and raisin toast with cream cheese, will get around.  Out of milk, and boy do I miss it.  At the end of the shopping spree yesterday I was just too tired to run into a store to get some, and I knew my DIL felt the same way, and she still had her grocery shopping to do after they left here.

Check in later.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. Well the seventh grader is off to school. He walked and he discovered that they are starting the school year with a double math lesson. DS was thrilled (not). This is the frist time they put the kids in two groups, there are the level kids (which learn regular 7th grade math) and the advance kids (learn pre algebra). DS is in the level group and I told him not to worry about what some of his friends might be in, but to do your best in the group that you are in. He has a half day today.

PC, sounds like a lovely spur of the moment trip, glad you all (including Spencer) had a great time. tt, glad the kids got what they needed, it's always a little tough going out with a 12 year old boy shopping. What grade he is going into.

I did get DS those sneakers he wanted for his birthday, expensive but he was thrilled and perfectly ok to get them as a birthday present.

- Darth Vadar

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Winter, tell him to be glad he's in the level group, it will give him a chance to feel really comfortable with understanding the math before getting into the algebra.  Will give him a good base and make it easier to move into the next level.

My son, Lilly's grandpa, just sent me some pics of her decked out for school.   She has on one of the outfits I had bought.  These pics look so much older than last years into kindergarten.  And, she has her new backpack bought yesterday, slung over her shoulders.  Tinkerbell - I hadn't seen it.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, I told him that as well. I think sometimes are too pressured. DS' school has many kids whose parents are college professor and "they have too" get into the higher math program because that is what their parents are expecting. That's a lot of pressure on a 12 year old, they are kids and shouldn't have pressure like that.

DS looked much older in his photo this morning as well. Glad Lily was wearing one of your outfits. :)

ETA: The math groups stay the same for eighth grade.

- Darth Vadar

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Another TT breakfast today; tea and a scone!

It's still a little hot in the house but lovely outside. I am rushing to get all the laundry done so we have clothes and clean sheets and towels since I don't know if I'll get another laundry day until the middle of the month. 

Those yearly off to school pictures are the best, especially when they are young and smiling!  And a Tinkerbell backpack - how cute. 

In the old days it was a lunchbox for the little ones (red plaid, anyone?), then the green book bags (remember - rubberized canvas? drawstrings over the shoulder?) book straps to hold the piles of books together; then attache cases with handles, rigid and sewn with seams that cut into your hands when you had to carry them home on the T, filled with heavy books.  Over 50 years later, and I'm still in search of the perfect carrier for my books and papers!  I have piles of empty briefcases, canvas bags, etc in the basement which I rotate in and out; I do have a great laptop bag now.  Happy school days to all!