September 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: September 2013

Oh, is there anything better for breakfast than home made biscuits, slathered with butter and toasted under the broiler - with a BIG (soup mug) cup of hot hot coffee?  I don't think so.  You couldn't tell it by me anyway, after just finishing.

Princess, I'm so glad you have this chance to go to the family party.  It isn't that long of a flight, and certainly so much easier on you than trying to drive there.  I think the companionship of family at such a happy and  beautifully planned occasion, will do you a world of good - no MD here, so no posts to me, please - but I do believe different enzymes are released when we're laughing and basking in the warmth of people who totally love and accept us, quirks and all.  I know you'll  be  tired when you get home, but even just give us a "thumbs up". Enjoy - good thoughts are being sent along with you.

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Prin, how exciting!!  And, hey, if you feel up to it, that's what matters.  Have a nice salty ribeye the night before cooked in a cast iron pan.  That's what we had last night, it was sooooo good.

I actually did drive 25 minutes for that meat.  It was worth it, but won't be doing that all the time since it's on the way home from the chiropractor.  Looks like Monday is butcher shop day along with chiropractor and TJ's day.

Our first use of our horseradish was a success.  Excellent hr sauce for the ribeye, and I incorporated some into the cream of celery soup for a nice bite.  Never had any so fresh and white.

dear town "walking" friend and I are going out to lunch today.  Hoping it will be comfortable enough to sit outside; we are going to a lovely bakery with the best sandwiches.

My father (bio) from Florida had been planning to stay with us overnight during his NE trip to Maine "sometime in the latter half of Sept."  Yesterday, he called and said he'd be here for lunch Friday (tomorrow, now), and is that ok.  Sure...

Phone - friend called and something came up; no lunch, but instead a walk or tea here later in the afternoon.

Have a great day, everyone
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. PC, I think if you feel up to it, you should go. I think once your laughing and with dear family, you will feel even better. Kar, your rib eye sounds wonderful sans the salty part. So, I've finished my final logo. Took advice from instructor and classmates and chose the watering can. I figured out how to make the text curvy. Here it is.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, missed your post as my phone call came in and I sat on mine for too long.  Oh, that is one heck of a breakfast, for sure.  Yum!!

Winter, that was always my favorite - excellent job!  

Our ribeye wasn't that salty, lol, just very thick so I prepped it like I saw on the food network with more salt and pepper than usual pre-grilling.  DH isn't very big on salt so I was a little nervous given I know he isn't a salt fiend (like I admittedly am), but it was a tremendous success.  Phew!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Winter, that came out beautiful.  Love it.  the curved writing adds the finishing touch.

Kargiver, sorry about your lunch being cancelled, but good that you'll still be able to get together.  I got up to an email from pumpkin's mom saying, "did you get my email about when we could get together?  Haven't heard from you. " I started laughing and just emailed her back, there were so many days/times she specifically couldn't get together, either because of babies' schedules or clients that she's started seeing again, that I was waiting to make a grid of each day of the week and figure out what I had originally asked her, when could we get together!  I did throw out a possibility of her and her mom stopping by with the kiddos tomorrow for lunch.  Her mom has Friday's off (Haven't pulled back up her original email to see if Friday's are one of the days she's back to seeing clients) and used to go out doing errands.  The cabbage soup might tempt her, because I know she loves her dad's.  Maybe I'll send off a quickie that there's home made peach pie for dessert!

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm sure you don't have to sweeten the visit pot with peach pie...but, it can't hurt.  ;)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well, guess what - Friday is one of the days she sees clients.  Just got a return email.  In it a couple more pics and oh, the baby is changing so.  I've got to get my hands on him, he's beautiful.  The two boys look nothing alike, but each have certain family features.  We agreed we'll try to get together in the next couple of weeks.

On another note, just emailed C.L. that either her cat who looks just like Fluff, or Fluff herself is running up across the back of my yard with either a bird or chipmunk she has brought down - chasing it, flipping it, as it tries to get away.  No wonder I haven't seen Fluff here for her f.f., she's catching her own breakfast these mornings!

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

But Princess Cal needs salt, right?

In response to kargiver's comment:

tt, missed your post as my phone call came in and I sat on mine for too long.  Oh, that is one heck of a breakfast, for sure.  Yum!!

Winter, that was always my favorite - excellent job!  

Our ribeye wasn't that salty, lol, just very thick so I prepped it like I saw on the food network with more salt and pepper than usual pre-grilling.  DH isn't very big on salt so I was a little nervous given I know he isn't a salt fiend (like I admittedly am), but it was a tremendous success.  Phew!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Love the watering can and the curvy writing that almost looks like water flowing out....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes, that's why I mentioned the salt - Prin needs extra.  She knows that - I wasn't actually making a suggestion, per se, just giving general encouragement for her trip.

tt, sounds like Pumpkin's mom is always going pell mell, bless her.  Hopefully, you can get together soon.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Yeah, I do have a low blood sodium (hyponatermia), so I do need lots of salt and iron in my diet - Kar, your meal sounds perfect!  Lol.

Thanks for everyone's advice, I like all that I can get!  I actually bought some Pedialyte powder so I can just get water and put it in there to keep hydrated on the flight!  Thanks again everyone!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Smart!

In response to princess-cal's comment:

Yeah, I do have a low blood sodium (hyponatermia), so I do need lots of salt and iron in my diet - Kar, your meal sounds perfect!  Lol.

Thanks for everyone's advice, I like all that I can get!  I actually bought some Pedialyte powder so I can just get water and put it in there to keep hydrated on the flight!  Thanks again everyone!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I thought of you last night, Prin, and I would have given you the other half of my gigantic (16 oz) steak. :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Bedroom window open again last night. Amazing what difference in sleep it makes.
    Winter, love your logo. The curvy writing definitely adds something to it. I also see the water flowing out of the can. Only thing, I would have made different, is the color of the can. I would have made it green in the colored picture. Green for hope, green for the environment and such. But of course, that is a minor issue. It looks great as it is.
    Have a wonderful trip, princess. Yes, I agree, keep that salt intake up. I am sure you will have a great time meeting your family members. Sweet 16 party? Didn't know, they still have those.
    Your steak dinner sounds yummy, Kar. And real horse radish? Fresh from the garden? Oh my, I could die for just a little piece. I have tried to grow it, but didn't have luck. Just got a few very thin roots, that I couldn't even peel and shred. The ones in the supermarkets are all dried out, and not worth my while. Any specific advice growing it?
    Have been thinking of you and Farmer Kargiver the last few evenings, during the weather reports. Did you manage to get in all your harvest before the frost? I am sure you still must have plenty of fall veggies growing, but those tomatoes and such don't like  a bit of the cold weather.
    Friends have been giving me zucchinis generously. Last night I made a stirfry of onions, zucchini, mushrooms and one huge tomato (also a gift) over TJ's lemon pasta. It was very, very good. But now we are kind of tired of zucchini. Just wondering if I could dice them up, and freeze them in manageable portions to use later. Or should I just shred them all and make zucchini breads and freeze those?
    Getting ready to go to the office. Hope you all will have a nice day.

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, sorry, I don't have any tips, per se, but I will take a photo of where we have it planted.  DH planted it 2 years ago, and we didn't harvest any last year.  Our roots are fairly thin, too, but thick enough that I peeled with a vegetable peeler and tossed in the Vitamix with the sour cream, mayo, garlic, salt, and dry dill weed.  As far as I know, DH did absolutely nothing to grow it except plant it.  You'll see from the photo it gets quite a bit of shade and is not in "good soil."  Looks and acts like a weed.

We are on a hill so since the cold air settles, we squeaked by with just a tiny bit of frost one night.  DH has been covering the most vulnerable plants/rows with tarps.  Not sure they've turned out to be necessary, but he didn't want to risk it.  So, no actual frost yet...but, it's coming soon, for sure.

I've chopped and frozen zucchini before - it's good for puréeing in soup; that's how I used it.  It also makes great pickles; you don't need to can them, just make refrigerator pickles.  We had some with our steaks last night...fabulous.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I was going to say I thought the zucchini would be too watery to freeze well, except in already prepared breads, but guess I was wrong, Kargiver, since you have frozen them.  Guess there isn't much we can't freeze - how about cannoli? 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, no, you are 100% right, tt - it does turn watery.  Did you see how I used it after freezing?  Puréed in soup!

I've never had cannoli to freeze, lol.

ETA:  I prefer making pickles from the plethora of zucchini to freezing it.  The Italian zucchini pickles in Put 'Em Up are very sour but excellent with meat.  Have I mentioned the steaks enough today, hahaha!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, that was my concern too. Zucchini have a lot of water content in them. So I thought they would be kind of mushy. Think I will shred some of them and make several zucchini breads this weekend (I have 5 large one right now). Then refrigerator pickle the rest. DH made a "mistake" to tell one of his tennis pals, he loves zucchini (well he does until a certain extend). Now he brings home an armful, when ever he had gone to play there.
    Re the horse radish. So Farmer Kargiver just leave it in the ground year after year? And you get more root as the time goes by? Maybe I was to anxious pulling it up. Will get another knob and try again. I know it is a weed, so I will plant it in a far away corner and just leave it there. Thanks!

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I actually didn't know it was a weed, just that it thrives where it's planted, a spot which previously only hosted dandelions.

You'll be pleasantly surprised at how lovely the zucchini pickles; it really soaks up the flavors.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Was just shaking out my dustmop and next door neighbor called me over.  She's minding her little GD.  Cute as a button.  Of course she wanted me to see her garden too.  Winding down now, but this is her first time gardening and she has and has had cantalope!  Never knew anyone around here who grew them.  Has had eggplant, tomatoes.  Nicely contained little plot.  Perfect time to ask about the little bunny, but all she said was she hasn't seen him for a couple of weeks.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Here it is on the lowest third tier of the property (below the driveway which is accessible by the stone steps).  There's a plant on each side of the steps.  I see he mulched it with the natural wood chips he made from the ice storm branches.  I hardly ever go down there so I had no idea.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We had cantelope one year, tt - yummy!  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

That's what she said, they were so sweet.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes, sweet, juicy, and very cantaloupe-y tasting.  If she offers one, take it!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I got a couple of cukes when they first came out in abundance, but she has a lot of nieces, inlaws, etc.  I think any leftover veggies are going straight to them.  What I'd really have loved is one of her eggplants.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt