September 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Re: September 2013

Icer!  I collect those Wade figurines too - have for years.  I already have 7 of the 12 in the Nautical series - so exciting.  Best series yet - the sailboat is exquisite.

TT thanks for asking.  It was such a good reaction that I can quote it word for word.  "Whoa!  That completely changes the proportions of your body!  You look terrific!"

So today I bought a couple of more tops in similar style so I can wear the pants more often :-)!  I am so lucky to have a DH who never questions why I need so darn many clothes.  I have a big family party coming up and am already planning to wear the outfit to that.

Icer, so glad Zachary is doing well.  Wednesday must be the most special day of the week for you!  And thanks for doing the Meals on Wheels and helping so many people.  It's a special job you do all for love and I am sure that the people you bless, bless you.

Pingo, if I were you I'd be out there starting the baby's library - books and a college fund have been the most lasting presents anyone ever gave my DD!

Speaking of TV, tonight on Rhode Island PBS at 8 pm there's a show called "Last Tango in Halifax" about an older couple who meet again after many years and fall in love...Then Foyle's War at 9.  Hoping I can stay awake long enough!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Icer, came on to check boards and there was your moonflower!  Do you know, we didn't get one plant to come up this year, after such an abundance last.  I think the sunflowers must have just taken over all the nutrients from the soil.  Can't wait until next Spring to see who wins.

What a nice husband you have, Hats.  Not many would be that vocal and actually pay you the compliment he did.  Most would say, yeah, it's good, and leave it at that.  Now if SAS would only make some dressy shoes to go with.  I have a couple of functions to go to this Fall and my feet no long will go into regular dressy shoes with any kind of a heel.  Who'd have thunk it?  LOL  Me, who was so stylish in my younger days with shoes for every outfit.  "Pride goeth before the fall" ? is that how it goes?

Talked with my intown son today, re his wife's shoulder procedure.  Starting P.T. over again already, adhesions are as soon as this.  What a time they've had this year.  They're very private and say little, but they've had so much to deal with healthwise.  As we talked, my DIL had gone down to her mother's who was not feeling well and not eating.  She's diabetic, so needs to keep regular meal times.  DIL was trying to coax her into eating something.

I find I can't post in the box on the last page at all.  It's always all gobblygook, and so I have to backstep to the bottom of the previous page.  Makes it impossible to scan up and see what else I want to respond to.  So, I'll probably be back - again -

ETA:  And, here I am again.  Wanted to say those programs you mentioned tonight sound good, Hats.  Will go on the TV listings and see if I can find a RI PBS.  No idea what channel, and I'm sure it is different here from where you are.  Thanks for mentioning them.

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

Last week an intense feud between trumpet and ambergirl breaks out

This week a frank/open discussion about...t**bagging!?!

Wow. What's up for next week I wonder?

I have no idea, but this is not your grandmother's OBN anymore, that's for sure

What is going on around here anyway?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

In response to toytrumpet's comment:

That's what she said

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT, SAS does actually have some dressier sandals now! Even gold!  The question is where to get them?  I buy mine at Michelson's in Lexington which is an old-fashioned family run shoe store - they carry the dressy styles and would order anything I asked for.  Perhaps if you like these new styles (see below) you could call the store where you usually buy them and ask if they carry these styles (and if not, why not.)

http://www.sasshoes.com/main/view_styles_catalog.php?catid=4

Yes, we have Verizon so it's channel 518 - you have Comcast so it would be different.

My husband is a jewel among men, but he does have his faults too - so do we all.  I know I do.  He's so good to me - I try to be a better and more patient person but it's so hard because although he's actually more intelligent and we think alike a lot of the time, I'm INTP and he's INTJ and the P/J thing causes me to get to conclusions much more quickly.  We have a big issue that just arose and it's something that should be acted on quickly, but it's going to take a long time to move him....I'll have to marshall my arguments and make a lot of pro/con lists...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Its not my Grandmother' CC...thats for sure

Icer

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Fall has arrived and the rain, too - I woke up at 5:30 to the sound of it.  It is supposed to clear off later, and the forecast for the rest of the week is good - a bit cool tomorrow but warming to the '70s later.

Nothing exciting planned here - how about all of you?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Sleepy head this morning, just got up half an hour or so, long enough to shower and dress and start the coffee.  Hats, I don't know why I can't copy and paste and open sites you put on, but couldn't get into anything from your shoe site yesterday.  Did go on and google their catalog and I see that are a skillion different styles.  Because of back problems, I need something similar to a wedge and see there are some of those there.  I'll have to look into it.  Thanks for posting.

And the programs, see that channel 2 our PBS, is showing that movie either tonight or tomorrow.  Mr. Foyle's War was on at 7:00, and I was watching it, but then got a phone call that lasted an hour - my DIL, after she had come back from her mother's, so I didn't want to cut her short.  While I was on the phone something was in my little pond again.  I was sitting right in the kitchen and never heard a thing, but when I hung up the phone and stood at the back door, there were the wet footprints, coming up the walk up into the grass.  Neither cat were here yesterday, and I'm wondering if whatever is fishing (or frogging) in my pond, is scaring them off.

I'm sure my coffee is ready now, so will scoot off and click on Sunday Morning and see what they're offering today.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT, Last Tango in Halifax is a mini-will have missed the wseries so what Ch 2 is showing tonight is episode 2.  So if you watch tonight you should probably go to the website and read the summary of episode 1 so you will know the background.  Foyle is more episodic; what they are showing now is season 6 but each episode has a mystery that is self-contained and is solved during that episode while the life of the characters continues on.

I think your browser, or perhaps Comcast, is protecting you from me; or from BDC.   It's probably the same thing that makes you log in to BDC constantly - some firewall or virus protection.  My in-laws have Comcast and they are constantly calling us to come over and fix some problem with their computer that always turns out to be Comcast.  Worst is that when they call Comcast for help they get connected to their call center in India and they sell them some service, software or even hardware that has nothing to do with the problem.  Once the call center person actually stole their credit card and sold it to a scammer.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

OMG, Hats.  That's terrible.  I must say any dealings I have had with Comcast for problems have been handled so patiently and by English speaking people, the last a woman who I called on my cell phone, not knowing how many minutes were left.  After trying a few things, she sent out a tech who put in a new - whatever it's called - box for my computer and there was no charge to me for any of it.  He also showed me how to bypass IE when it was acting up,to get into my email through Chrome.  Verizon OTOH was a complete nightmare for 2 years of lost phone service, patching outside lines down the street, and still raspy terrible service.  I'd never go back to them.

As for "Tango", I'm pretty sure it said Monday or Tuesday it would be on.  Whatever, as long as it doesn't interfere with any of the shows on Bravo that I'm into, I'll watch it.  BTW, it was "Real Housewives of Orange County" who had the episode on the use of that word we chatted about yesterday, well, not you and I, but the others.  --  Funny, when my DIL was talking to me last night, she slipped a couple of times with expletives, and her husband said, "Are you talking to my mother saying that?"  I laughed and said, "Well, if you want to hear something, wait til I tell you what discussion we got into on Chat today!"  I'm sure my son fell off the chair when she told him afterwards. 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Luckily for me, judicious use of the ignore button kept anything graphic hidden from my sensitive eyes.  We Boston matrons (see avatar) are easily shocked.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Did you have me on "ignore" Hats?  There was nothing explicit discussed, just that it was a word with a double meaning these days - certainly didn't explain it.  Stuff I never heard of, that's for sure.  I know my son is going to be shocked that I even knew such a phrase - I didn't until the reunion of the RHOC !

As for Ache's post, I don't even know what that's for, no sound, and I've no idea what it portrays - see it's HBO and I don't have that anyway.  -  No need to explain if you're reading, Ache.

One last game of MahJong, and then I've got to tie a cloth around my dustmop and wipe down the walls of the toyroom.  I had no idea he was going to sand the ceiling before painting, and EVERYTHING is covered with white dust.  Wouldn't have done much good if  he had forewarned me anyway, because the old sheets I have are still covering things up in the attic from when they did the roof.  I had taken out some of the movable things, but the kids old toys etc are still in there, wouldn't have been any problem if there hadn't been any sanding.  He put a drop cloth on the floor, for any paint drips, I imagine, but nothing protected everything else that is covered with the dust.  Wish I were 20 years younger.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    I woke up listening to the rain too, Hats. It was a nice sound - as our yard needs it.
    Oh, tt, I feel so bad for you. One of the worst thing ever, is all that dust that comes from sanding walls and ceilings. Do I ever know. Don't try to wash it off. It will just become chalk, and smear around. The toys, you may have to wash to get rid of it. Actually anything washable should get a good cleaning. Use your DW if you have to. That fine dust gets in everywhere, and is tough to get rid of. Don't hurt your back doing it.
    I am lost this morning. Can't use my kitchen. DH moved my DW out and took it apart. It is now in the middle of my kitchen floor, upside down, with parts spread all over the kitchen. He did find a leak in the motor. But he also found that due to years of use, several screws have come loose. So he tightened everything up and is in the process of putting everything back. Let's see, how it goes. Wish him luck! He also wrote all the parts numbers down, so he can order new ones if necessary. Believe me, sometimes it is a pain to have a handyman in the house.
    In the meantime I am doing a couple of loads of laundry and some ironing.
    May go to the office later for a couple of hours. Have a good day!

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Pingo - thank for the reminder' one last load of laundry was waiting for me.  Hope the DW project is successful.  My Dad is somewhat the same way - he has finally given in and is going to replace his 24 year old washing machine.  The part needed is no longer made and after 4 attempts to fix it...he's looking around for the best price and free delivery/take away (he doesn't live near here...)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Yeah, I've wiped down the walls with an old towel tied around my broom, now to decide where to start on the dusting - bookcase, desk, chest of drawers (2) and then for last, all the toys will have to be wet wiped down, and finally the floor washed and the blinds, another day.  I've lots of time, no kids expected.  Luckily no dishware in there, but books will be a pain and a half.

Sun is coming out here, turning into a nice day.  Son said he might stop over with some magazines his wife is clearing out, but I think he would have come by this morning.  They have so much on their agenda.  I don't think either one of them know what a "day off" really means.  Put a bag next to the scones so I wouldn't forget to send them home with them if they should stop in.

Pingo, I don't envy you with the "Mr. Fixit" operation going on today.  Fingers crossed that the repairs work.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, one other thing. You may want to avoid the vacuum cleaner. It is such fine dust, it will come right back out and you can start all over again. One thing I found very helpful was the "Swiffers". Not the dusting Swiffers, but the floor Swiffers. Just use them as a dusting rag. We used tons of those, when we renovated the office. The dust cling to them and you just throw them away. I would go over the floor as well with a heavy dusting, before you attempt to use a wet mop.
    I feel, I am luckier than you today, even though I can't use my kitchen.
    Don't feel bad, you didn't get to cover everything up, before he started. The dust would have found it's way underneath the sheets anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Hats - I made my cushion today. Came out pretty well! Only one corner is a little sloppy looking and I've angled it so that side is facing the wall and the corner of the room. All in all - and with a couple of 50% off coupons at Joann's - the cushion cost me $58. Not bad considering the outrageous price of the custom ones I priced out. 

Hope everyone is baing a good day. Off to whip up a few dinners we can eat during the week while the baby is napping....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

That is nice Rama. You must be pretty proud of yourself. Now make yourself a couple of nice pillows to dress up the bench. You don't have to be a seamstress to do those.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Rama, I am so glad it came out well.  Another good thing about this method is that if it gets spilled on or torn, you just add another layer of fabric over the old one!  If we ever get posting fixed on this darn thing I hope to see a photo sometime!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. Lots of catching up. Oh Pingo, that's too bad he's trying to fix it. hats, I beleive if your dad buys a new washer that the company will take the old one away.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Ok, a cold morning like this deserves 1) heat pushed up one notch; 2) plate of French toast with syrup; and 3) a BIG HOT cup of coffee - the real stuff!

Kept checking the pond area last night after dark, hoping to see what it is that gets in there, but no visitor last night, and no watery paw prints when I got up this morning.  So, I know my big fella in there is safe for another day at least.  Son and DIL had stopped over yesterday afternoon and he spied him half in and half out of the water - in the sun.  I walked out and had a look/see - he's a big guy, surprised I hadn't seen him during the summer months.

My son brought over a stuffed cabbage - he had made cabbage soup too, but saved the outside leaves to stuff.  Love them but never make them any more, too much work for just one person.  S&S has them at their deli, and their passable when you have the craving for one.

Congratulations, Rama on the seat cushion.  No one but you will know about the edge that didn't fit quite right.  Keep it to yourself.  Just think how good you'll feel when someone says, "Oh, I love that bench cushion," and you can reply, "Thanks.  I made it myself" !

Last night was RHNJ, Hats, so that took precedence for me - want to see who really is/was behind the rumors started about the family.  SS called during it, and we gabbed, so caught part of it, but there will be a rerun of that episode before the final one coming up next week.

I've gotten up nursing a slight across your forehead type of headache for 3 days now - nose a little stuffy, I think it must be allergies.  Could be partly the smell of the ceiling paint too, I suppose.  Kept the window open during the day, but today i'll be in there with some serious, pain in the neck removal and wipe down of the books.  Want to get at least one side of the room completely back to normal, including moving the kid desks back in, out of this room where I moved them before his work.

No time like the present to hop in that shower, throw a wash in, and get started.  Have a good one everyone.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    It's freezing out there. And it was in here as well, but the sun streaming through the windows, has already pushed the temperature up several notches. No need to put on the heat. Took advice from Cheerio and sat near the kitchen window w/ the sun hitting my back. It felt wonderful.
    No progress yesterday in regard to my DW. DH did find out though, that the motor is fine. No need for a $500 new motor. There is a small leak in the gasket, that if replaced should fix the problem. He is going to call Miele again today. But with repair people these days, it is easier and faster for them, to just replace the entire thing.
    Never made it to the office yesterday. DH had a deadline, he was working on at home. So I spent the time cleaning up my kitchen and my refrigerator, I couldn't get to Saturday. I found 1/2 jar of Alfredo sauce leftover from November's Chicken/Broccoli pizza. But I had no chicken or broccoli. Instead I had half a jar of marinated artichoke hearts and some frozen shrimps. I threw in a few finely sliced cloves of garlic, and we had our usual Sunday pizza, but at home. It came out really great. Was told, I could make that again. A nice change from the usual tomato sauce.
    Winter, what happened with your logos? Any comments yet?
    Just made an appointment w/ the Veterans to come for a pick up. Several bags of clothing. And I have collected small house hold items and appliances in a large box. They have now been in my way in my pantry for more than a year. Since I haven't used them in such a long time, they will be going too.
    Time for another hot cuppa. You all have a good day.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Good morning everyone!  Icer, it is so good to see you again.  Glad you are having fun with Zach.  They are fast though, and no doubt you are tired at the end of the day.  It is so sweet of you to have dinner made for his Mom at the end of the day.  Trust me, she appreciates it!!

Rama, congrats on bench pillow! 

So happy yesterday turned out to be a nice day.  We had plans to go apple picking with a few families, so we all went to brunch and pushed to departure time out a couple of hours, and arrived at the Orchard to blue skies and sunshine!  Had a great afternoon - and no lines!! 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Happy Monday.  Thanks for all the well-wishes re my bench cushion.  I am so happy with how it came out and the kids like playing on it.

We also went apple picking this weekend Nov.  It was so much fun.  DD2 just learned to walk and toddled her way through the orchards carrying an apple in each hand. DD1 loved picking the apples and climbing up the ladders to get the really high up apples. 

I made apple crisp last night following the recipe on the jiffy bake box.  Came out pretty good.

I can't believe how cold it is today.  I sent the kids to "school" wearing 3/4 length pants and tshirts.  I thought it was supposed to be high 60's today.    Luckily they both have extra clothes (pants, sweatshirts) there that they can put on if need be.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Rama, you just made me feel so much better.  I also sent DD in capris and a Tshirt (with a sweatshirt over) thinking it was going to be warmer.  She has khakis in her cubby, but looks like it is time to throw some fleece pants and an extra longsleeve into her bag.  So cute the image of your kiddos.  DD had no concept of picking off the trees.  She just picked up the apples off the ground and tossed them like tennis balls. She also tossed the little decorated pumpkin we got her.  Sigh...  She loved the tractor ride to and from the orchard, and the live music at the farm stand, though.