September 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Re: September 2013

Hi all!  Wasn't it a beautiful morning?  I spent it on my deck doing some 'dirty' work that I didn't want to have to clean up inside.  TT I am so glad your check up was good - those creatinine levels still ok?  I wish you were here to bake for me - I should have something on hand for breakfast before a funeral we have to go to on Friday - but I'll probably wimp out and get cider donuts from Wilson Farm.  Washed a comforter for the guest bed, though, since someone is sleeping here tomorrow night so that they won't have to drive both ways (2 hrs) on one day.

I also went to the DR today and found that the treatment I had for my problem worked all too well - I'm now on meds for the opposite problem.  Coffee is officially good for what ails me now so I stopped and got one on the way to pick up my new meds.  I'd been missing my coffee - but I do resolve not to go overboard with it.

Since it's getting nippy I just made a quick batch of spagetti sauce with ground turkey so that I can cook some pasta when DH gets home - he has to go out again and I never know when he'll be home so angel hair it is! 

Pingo:  I' d be so consumed by curiousity as to what was in those boxes - would have opened them long ago. I think you should open them and if they contain 'junque' maybe you could convert them to presents for those pesky brides you don't much like...

Got some beautiful grapes and pears at MB today.  Fall is here!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hats, you gave me a belly laugh. "Gifts for those pesky bride, you don't like". Why didn't I think of that. Well since the gifts are not mine - even though they seem to be glued to my house -, I didn't open them. Besides there are plenty of pictures back and front of items, I don't need or want anymore. I have plenty of that stuff. On the other hand, now you got me thinking. I could get rid of my 45 year old stuff, and have all brand new stuff. But you know something? Those pesky brides may actually get some of it. We, both DIL and I, have been invited to another shower Saturday after TG. DIL will certainly not go. She is not allowed to travel. So I will ask DS, if I could pick up a couple of things to re-wrap and bring with me, if I do go, or mail if I don't. Somehow, I have never been a gift re-cycler, but there are times, when it will be ok. And this is on of the times.

Good news with a great report, tt. Did you get the blood results back already? I am going in on Monday. Hope my blood work will be fine. I have tried really hard. Hope he will be happy with my weight loss.

Kar, those apples look really good. What kind are they and how many bushels. How do you use them? I never thought of refrigerating yellow bananas. I always wait until they go brown. Thanks for the trick. It is the same w/ avocados. Just let them sit until they are ripe, then refrigerate them, and they will last for another week.

Winter, I took your bread out of the oven a little while ago. The house smells divine.
    Have a happy evening everyone.
    Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

2nd post...Pure almond Macaroons Pingo...I think u need almond paste or marzapan to make them

Icer

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Sorry about that I posted...it wouldn't post...logged out...back in...posted again...then...my son called...I forgot to put the monitor back in the diaper bag...I don't need it anyway..Zachary sleeps but I have plenty to do in the kitchen...Always.

Yes, Pingo, thank you again for the Tomatoe bisque recipe..although...I do it different every time. DIL packed dinner for him tonight so ...he'll get it next time..I did want a chance to thank you for the recipe again though

Icer

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Blood work had been done in July, his report sent to me with a note we would talk about it at my appt. in Sept.  All levels, including the creatine are within limits, the only which he isn't happy with is the cholesterol, because of family history.  I had stopped taking the red yeast rice (no comments from the peanut gallery, please.  Drs. and I agree on this procedure, and anyone wanting to check out any disadvantages to taking it, can easily google it for themselves), but will start in again for next blood draw in January. 

Lemon bread, loaf, or cake never got made, Kargiver.  I wrapped the lemon after slicing off a wedge to squirt on the fish while baking.  May do something with it after my cousin leaves tomorrow.  Haddock was delicious.  I always Ritz crumb it, drizzle melted butter, salt and pepper and sprinkle lemon juice on it, and bake.  Had a scoop of my homemade cole slaw, and some of the potato salad I picked up yesterday.  Delicious. Have a grape scented candle burning on the stove now, hoping it's strong enough to take away any lingering fish smell for tomorrow.

Got the door rug and another scatter rug washed, but the kitchen floor really needs a scrubbing.  My floor mop washing isn't getting it as clean as I would like.  Oh, for the days of down on my hands and knees to scrub and get in all the little corners.

Funny you should use the word, "wimp", Hats.  My GD and I were emailing back and forth about what she would like me to bring to pumpkin's party, several things mentioned, and then I said one thing I wouldn't bring was the whoopie pies because of that friend of my DIL's who knew I was bringing them to another GD's grad party, and she baked 3 batches herself and brought them.  I said, "I heard mine were better tho" - of course fishing for her to say, "They sure were, Nana."  Instead she came back with a "I don't want to take sides, but I'll say what you heard was probably right."  - same as saying yes, they were, but I emailed her back calling her a "Wimp" for not coming right out and saying"yes, they were much better than hers!"  I don't go for this subtlety, when I want a compliment, I want a compliment!  lol

Pingo, you and I could probably furnish an apt, what with the boxes of stuff you have, and the white couches of my youngest's that they have left upstairs here for YEARS!  I keep threatening to put them out for a yard sale, and I hear, "You'd better not!"  They'll never use them or do anything with them.  They really aren't in my way, since I don't use the upstairs except for storing stuff, but still, what a waste.  Someone could be getting some use out of them.

OK, long enough post for me tonight.  Hats, I'd go with the cider donuts.  Quick and easy, and people don't feel like eating a heavy breakfast before going to a funeral - just something that they can grab and eat.

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT I'd love some new white couches.  Just sayin.  My blue and green ones are all worn out.

Donuts it will be, then...you could squeeze the lemon and freeze the juice/pulp TT - then it would be available when you want it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I did not know that, Hats.  Thanks.  Will do.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Just turned off the TV. Was watching "Charade" with Cary Grant and Audry Hepburn. It was done in 1963. What a nice movie. I am not much of a TV watcher, but I will sit through those old movies. Plain, respectable - and great acting. Can never be tired of watching Audry's face expressions.
    I mentioned some time ago, I never had a whoopee pie. Have since tried them. They are ok as far as I am concerned. Not something I would get up in the middle of the night to raid the refrigerator for. Second item coming up. I never had a cider donut either. Must try one his year. How can one live in NE and never tasted a cider donut? I gather from you, one must get the real thing at some apple picking place, where they also make cider.
    Well, I think that is the problem, tt. Out of sight out of the way - we forget the stuff is there. Now, that we have been more serious about moving, some action has happened. UK son filled 3 trash bags with clothes, he hasn't worn since high school and never will wear. Especially now, he has lost so much weight. but that is only a drop in the bucket.
    Just for the record, we had haddock too tonight. Haddock and roasted cauliflower.
    Time to turn of the computer. Have a good night everyone - sleep well.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Quick post before I get started on the day.  Started off right with Harry out back.  He had quite a story to tell, he was cold, he was tired, and he wanted something to nibble.  I gave him a plate with half f.f. and half kibble, and he gobbled up the kibble, so maybe that will be what I give him from now on when I see him, and save the f.f. for Cheerio.  I know C.L. sees him every day and takes good care of his eating needs.  I can be where he comes for his snacking.

Kitchen floor is driving me nuts so will try to wet mop it before my cousin gets here.  Starving this morning too, so there's what to have for breakfast to think of.

Hope you all have a good day.  Will check in the end of the day to see what's been going on.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning,

tt, I've been reading that cholesterol in and of itself isn't a problem, it's scratched arteries (giving the cholesterol a place to stick and build up) from high blood sugar (the crystaline structure of the sugar scrapes arteries) that really is the heart disease culprit.  Without the scratches, the cholesterol just glides through arteries with no place to stick and build up.  Heard more about it recently on Dr. Oz.  But, many docs are still demonizing cholesterol in a vacuum.  This isn't meant to be advice of any sort just something I thought you'd find interesting.  Good your numbers are in healthy ranges.  Have fun with your cousin today!

pingo, we picked and put up about 3 bushels of macs.  We wash, dry, wrap in paper, and store them whole in the fridge downstairs.  I'll be making all manner of apple stuff this Fall and Winter, jelly, applesauce, pie...  Most of our trees are macs (yuck), but there's a Red Delicious, Macoun, and maybe a couple of others.

have to admit I haven't read a lot of the last week...and, today I need to run to the store asap and get back to deep clean the living room.  Got the master bedroom yesterday.  I'm so tired, I hope I don't get sick...dh tends to have more stamina than I do so he doesn't understand my need to rest more.

oh, and guess what.  He's come to the conclusion that the little bit of gluten in the sprouted spelt causes him problems.  So, next on the list is quinoa flour.  Let's see what I can do with that.  I better learn fast; it's expensive...not something you want to experiment and fail with.

bye for now :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    I am also just checking in before I start the day, even though I am already several hours into it. Had a wonderful sleep last night making up for the night before. DH was almost out the door, but I did get to kiss him good bye.
    Kar, it sounds like you had a busy apple picking weekend. I love Macs, so if you don't - please send some my way. I couldn't care less for Red Delicious. They look pretty with their beautiful red color, but I find they are mushy and not juicy. Macouns on the other hand, would be a wonderful addition to the Pingo household. I read through he lines you are exhausted. Please take a break and a rest.
    Interesting find about the cholesterol. Need to find an article to read more about it.
    Have a nice lunch w/ your cousin, tt. Is it today you will be going to Davio's? I will be all ear to hear about it when you get back this afternoon.
    I am off to the office in a few minutes. Have a good day everyone.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Not headed to Davio's, that's a possibility for the next time work gal pals and I go to lunch.  That date hasn't been set up yet.  One of the girls was hospitalized with a bug that has left her with colitis type symptoms.  She's feeling her way back to normal eating.  We may choose a place with a gentler diet than Italian.  I remember last year when we met at a new place in Danvers, I was ill, and the only thing on the menu I could eat was a baked potato.  Hoping I don't run into that again this year.

Just put the recycling out and something had very neatly torn into a double bagged trash bag and pulled out just a baggie with paper toweling I had used to wipe out a skillet.  Nothing else disturbed, and that really wasn't either, just pulled out.  C.L. tiold me last night around 9:00 she saw Harry chasing after a raccoon who had helped himself to some of the kibble she puts out for the cats.

Never got the floor done, but the clean rugs are down and everything else is looking good. Nice out, when I stepped out, so a good day to go poking.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Hi all, I am slowly drinking the half of my iced coffee left over from yesterday.  Happiness!  Was just 'caught' in my pjs mixing mortar on the deck - wearing a respirator - by the oil man.  He said that was the first time he ever heard that one! The pjs are in the laundry and I am now "dressed"  - yoga pants and a t-shirt.  Same feeling, different level of respectability, that's all!  I have lots to do today but I would say more drive than actual energy! 

Making lists of stuff to get at Home Depot on the weekend.  Fun!  Don't you love HD?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

So wonderfull, tt, that you keep up w/ your old pals. But then again, you are a nice person to know. Wish I knew you better. I would be on for playing Malice (or whatever you call it ??). Hope your friend w/ the bug will be all good by the time you meet for lunch.
    Did you ever go to the place in Wakefield, I have mentioned a few times? North Avenue Diner. DH and I just went there for lunch yesterday - they have a mean Rubin Sandwich.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

So, my post went POOF - even before I finished it. Just like that - GONE.
    I was replying to Hats's post in regard to being caught in pj's. We have contractors stopping by at all times, and i am a fairly bashful person. But I am not going to dress up for someone ringing my doorbell at 6:30 am.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Hello everyone. I had an off-site meeting this morning, so I'm just getting caught up. I LOVE my car. We were at the dealer until about 5:30, after we had the cart starter installed and given lessons on Bluetooth, GPS, etc.

ETA: I have no registration or sticker yet, but since it the car was bought out of state, I have 7 days to Register it and 7 after that to get a sticker, but it should all be done by next Saturday.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Winter, that sounds wonderful - an auto starter - does your car live outside?  I know in Minnesota those are considered standard equipment but didn't think one would need one here.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

We don't have a gargage, my previous car had one as well.

- Darth Vadar

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Winter, congratulations on your new car. You must be over the moon. Don't you just love the new car smell? Wishing you many happy years with it - and no accidents and speeding tix, please.
    Please educate me. What is a "cart starter"? Thought I had all the bells and whistles in mine, but never heard of that one.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Good luck with the new car Winter.  Remember the starter is just as good (better even IMO) in the summer to avoid a hot stuffy car!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That stomach/intestinal bug is making the rounds, too bad your gf got sick, tt.  Icer's DH had it, too, it sounds like.  Hope you go somewhere yummy if not Italian.

Pingo, sorry, DH has claimed all the Macs.  I don't care for mealy Red Del, either.  Actually, I'm not a huge apple fan, but DH eats 5 or 6 a day.

Winter, congrats on the new Suburu - very nice!!

yes, I'm poooped.  Went out to breakfast and then made the trek to the butchery and found a gluten free flour mix to try.  But, am resting a bit before going back to work.  I must prepare the green beans this afternoon, and I want to try bread with the new flour.

ETA:  I've been caught at all hours in my pjs, lol, but they are very modest if not particularly presentable.  

Oh, and I have a car starter, too - lovvvvvve it.  Pingo, you press a button remotely and the car starts.  Can't drive it unless the key is put in the ignition, though, so it can't be stolen.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Pingo, I meant car starter not cart starter...so sorry. Thanks for the well wishes. Cars don't come with them, but the dealer will install one for you.

- Darth Vadar

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

One feature I love that I never had are side mirror defrosters and windshield de-icer. :) Can't wait to test it out. :)

- Darth Vadar

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Pingo, forgot to mention that after I read about your watching "Charade" I kept singing the theme song around the house "When we played our charade, we were like children hoping..."  Now I am listening to "Singers and Swing" on Music Choice while I clean out my summer pocket book and switch to a black bag...The "Songs of the Season" channel is playing Oktoberfest music!  So funky.  (1832 on Verizon....)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Winter, you will be forever spoiled by those mirror heaters!