September 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: September 2013

Good Sunday morning,

Sore wrist this morning, so won't spend much time on the computer.  Pulling the wringer on that darn mop yesterday, I think, plus the peeling of apples for apple crisp.  Ibuprofen overnight helped, but it's swollen, and I can feel it as I type.

Foggy here too, was during the night when I got up.  Heard a bunch of boys walking by saying, "Ogg, what's that?"  and another say, "opposum", and what I thought was, "something must have hit it."  After they had passed I went out in my robe and checked to be sure there wasn't a hurt animal out there, but didn't see anything and nothing this morning.  Fluff had been around to roll and show me her belly.  She's getting so friendly.  And, of course, true to prediction, Harry was waiting under the shrub when I got up this morning, rubbing against my legs and talking up a storm.  Then he headed over to the pond, seaching for frogs, I suppose.  Water tracks from there again last night.

Not expecting any company today, and hope there is none dropping in for a meal, I don't even know what I'll be fixing for myself. 

Too bad about the gutters, Kargiver.  You're lucky DH is so handy with being able to tackle jobs like that that need doing.  At least now you'll know it's done right.

Wrist is screaming, so I'll listen and go in and watch "Sunday Morning."  Do you still get a chance to watch that, Icer?

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Kar let me confess; when I say 'thrift shop' I mean Goodwill.  My family has always supported them; that's where I send all my cast offs (unless I freecycle them) and that's where I love to shop!

TT, what a coincidence that you should have hurt your finger/wrist squeezing the mop trigger.  Yesterday the salesperson for the steam cleaner made a point of saying that the steam floor cleaner had no trigger to squeeze; now I know why.  I always use an old fashioned swabbie mop (that's why one old nickname for sailors was swabbie - because they swabbed the decks with the white cotton hair-like mops) so no trigger.  I put mine outside to dry/freeze dry and bleach in the sun - no rusting - that's one reason why I prefer that kind. 

Don't forget to ice the wrist, too...10 minutes on, 20 minutes off.

Home made applesauce sounds good...I make mine in the microwave.  Maybe some of that in the future too!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Sorry about your hand, tt. Maybe a wrist sleeve will help. Sounds like you are at the end of cleaning the toy room. Lots of extra work for your poor hand.
    I made apple crisp last night too. But instead of my usual streusel topping, I incorporated gingersnaps. Crushed gingersnaps. It was really really good.
    So Harry is out nights again. Maybe that is what he wants. I know, one of my sisters cats always wanted to be outside. He only came in to eat and sleep during the day. If someone forgot to let him out at night, he would cry and cry, until some got up and let him out.

We finally got to go to TriCity Sales yesterday. Think we found our new DW. Another Miele, but the lowest model - the only Miele that comes with a black panel. Looked at other brands too, but only Miele has the top cutlery tray, which I love and know, I will miss.
    We also checked on our built in oven/convection oven/microwave. The one the fan is not working on. Apparently a new fan is no longer available. So we would need to replace the entire thing. But the lady told us, it could be just dirt or dust on some switch - a common thing. She would ask their KitchenAid installer, what it would take to just check for that.
    I loved that sales lady, she went out of the way to help us. She has been there for over 20 years and know her stuff. If anyone need to go there, ask for Linda.

While there, I met your new stove, Kar. When I stopped to look at it and told the sales lady, that a friend of mine just got one, she went out of her way to show me all the ins and out of it. OMG, what a beautiful piece of equipment. You must be over the moon using it.

We didn't make it to Sear's to look at the DW a repair man recommended us. So that will be today, before we make a final decision. No other plans for today.
    Have a pleasant Sunday!

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hats, I forgot. Congratulations on your new "mop". My son has one that vacs, wash and dry in one swath. It is awesome.
    Have been thinking of getting one, but we have hardwood floors all over, which we just vacuum. They have never seen water, and still looks brand new. The only place I could use it would be my kitchen, which is tiled. So I put it on the back burner, and use the same mop as you. It is a pain to bring in the bucket and mop, but when that is done, it only takes me a few minutes to do the floor. I bleach mine, but never thought of putting it outside to sanitize it. How clever.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I got this one, Pingo, because it uses only steam - no cleaning products - and can be used on hardwood.  Our hardwood is old and needs a good cleaning.  I have lino in the kitchen, tile in bathroom and asphalt in the basement and it can be used on all those floors, as well as on rugs - everything except the garage in fact!  It will be a while until i have time for a full tryout but I will let you know...

I use bleach too, but love the drying outside - I prop it on its side against a chair, upside down, so the mop head hangs downward and the breeze can blow it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh, that sounds good, Hats. Can't wait to hear a report. I have acres of hardwood floors. Mopped the kitchen floor 1/2 hour ago. My mop is now outside, hanging over the arms of a chair. LOL
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I do still watch that TT...I enjoy it.  Honey and I are trying to tighten things up here...We will be going to Vegas again this year...Baker's convention...I did post this before...I thought...but then when I went to see it,,..It was gone

I'm old fashioned about washing the floor...on my hands and knees...Then again...I have a Health Agent that puts a flashlight under my cabinets

I'll catch up tomorow..Night all

Icer

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

OMG Icer, are you still dealing with that guy? I think about you everytime I clean my kitchen counters with Clorox, and I don't even dilute it.
    Have fun in Vegas. When will you be going? Hope you will have to come home in a Brink truck.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good Monday morning,
    Early start of the day. Leaving in a couple of minutes for a doc's appointment for my yearly physical.
    Will check in later. Have a good day everyone.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. Seems like everyone had a busy weekend. DS' team won another soccer game, they are now 3-1 and are tied for first. He got his first goal of the season Saturday. Congtats on the new DW Pingo. tt, hope your wrist is feeling better today.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I am still dealing with our Health Agent...She is tenacious...and mis interprets the law often...but I still remain fine free from her...so...I guess thats a statement...Off to bake cookies for South Shore Hospital...they won a Beacon award

Icer

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Has anyone else noticed that when it's foggy in the morning, it seems quieter outside?

TT, hope your wrist gets better quickly.

Icer, hope the cookies go well and the tenacious Health Agent stays off your tail.

Winter, congratulations to DS on scoring his first goal of the season.

Pingo, hope the results of your check up are good.

Kar,  I assume you are off chiropracting and shopping.

I wonder how SAW and RAMA fared this weekend?  The party I went to yesterday was very nice.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Just checking in briefly.  Wrist is better certainly, but still painful, so today I'll be just reading posts, not contributing.  Nothing new going on here anyway.  As always, possibility of running out for a couple of hours.

Congrats to your son, Winter.  It's always good to get that first one under your belt.

Had to google Beacon Award, Icer, never had heard of it.  Can you describe the cookies you're baking?  I'm doing half moons for pumpkin's party, not trying to roll out sugar cookies or gingerbread men.  I think you and that health agent have a little game you play.

Hope you get a good report for your physical, Pingo.

Hats, things do seem to move in slow motion when it's foggy.  It's just about burned off here.

That's all folks.  If it wasn't the hand I had already had operated on, I would think this is a case of carpal tunnel.  Think it's probably more tendons.  May try some heat today rather than the ice.  I'll check in later to read what's going on.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, hope it feels better soon. I didn't know you had your wrist opearted on before. take it easy today.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I am doing the Beacon award logo on sugar cookies...The award is for excellence in the South Shore Hospitals Critical Care unit...Those folks truly are un-sung heroes...nice to have someone "sing" about them

The Health Agent doesn't bother me anymore...but she does get on everyone else's tail!!

Icer

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Who would know, that this lousy morning would turn into to such a beautiful day. The fog was  quite thick on the Rt. 128 this morning on the Danvers/Peabody line. Quite a surprise.
    My physical went well. Except for one thing - I left with a referral for a consultation w/ a hip joint replacement doc. Both hips will most likely have to be replaced. I have been bandaid-ing them long enough. Only problem will be - when. It takes 8 weeks to recover, and I want to go to TX for Christmas and to see my new GD in January. Will see, what this new doc has to say.
    I was purposely fasting, so I stopped by the lab and got the blood drawn as well. Then I had lunch w/ DH. We shared a bagel from Bagel World.
    I ran out of flour over the weekend, so I stopped at S&S to pick it up on my way home. I have always used King Arthur's all purpose. Today I noticed the S&S brand is 45% less in price. Has anyone of you used it? Does it make much of a difference in the baking? I did end up buying KA. I was willing to try S&S, if it had come in a smaller size, but they are only selling the 5 lbs. bags. And if I had to discard it, it would be no savings.
    While there I saw beautiful skinned haddock on sale for only $5.99/lbs., if anyone is interested. I bought two lbs. One for tonight and one to freeze for later.
    Hope your hand is improving, tt. Too bad that ceiling is giving you lingering problems.
    Congratulations on DS's win, Winter. He must be so proud of that goal. How are the Logos doing? Are you enjoying learning again?
    Never heard of the Beacon award either. I agree w/ you, Icer - many that work in the Critical Care Units are indeed true heroes. Nice of you to surprise them w/ the cookies.
    Have a good evening everyone.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Sorry to hear about your possible hip replacements, Pingo.  Not fun to go through.

My wrist is much improved tonight.  Went grocery shopping - at S&S Route 1, and the woman in front of me bought a couple of large pkgs. of the haddock - was that you?  I only bought half a pound to have for my supper tonight, and it was delicious.  I think actually it was only $4.99 lb., but I could be wrong.  Whatever, a good price for a good tasting piece of fish.  May stop back up there and buy more to freeze.  Looked for a small pot roast, but all I saw in the size and price I wanted was a small top of the round oven roast.  Right now I'm just looking at it in the refrigerator, will decide tomorrow whether to freeze it or cook it.

I've never used KA flour, usually buy Pillsbury, if not then Gold Medal.  I was surprised that I came out of there spending less than $40, and that was with the fish and roast included.  Must not have been hungry!

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

No, tt, it wasn't me. I was at Reading. I am glad you got some. I mentioned it w/ you in mind. I know, you love it so. I think you are right; it was only 4.99.
    I just made a large bowl of Cole Slaw to go with it, and I picked up some fresh spinach (also on sale for $2/bag), I will wilt with some pepper flakes and garlic.
    Re my hips. This may sound strange to some, but it feels almost as a relief, now that I have made that decision. And still, I have to hear what the surgeon says. I might not be a candidate for it.
    Glad to hear your wrist feels better.
    My rye bread is still like a brick - even though I took it out this morning. I remember now, that is why I don't make it any more. It is too involved. It better be good.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, ladies!

terribly busy day that was a hormonal challenge...glad to be settling in on the couch in a min.

tt, glad your wrist is improving.

Pingo, I'm sure you'll be reminded why you did make it when it's done. :)

I made a wonderful gluten-free mac and cheese.  Will post a photo and tricks that made it indistinguishable from it's glutenous counterpart tomorrow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Remember to start a new thread tomorrow - - - -

~ Mr. Rogers

tt