Welcome KEK-2

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Welcome KEK-2

Welcome! The Sunday Four thread was getting so long it was hard keeping up with the topics.

It is always so nice to hear from new people - we are an interesting group as you can see. They have been my extended family in more then one stressful situation as well as having a place to chat on lonely days.

My three children also went to Catholic Schools in the elementary grades. My husband was military and we felt they needed the backround and continuity those schools provided. We were fortunate to have a great high school but it was well worth every penny we spent in their younger years.

I am having Thanksgiving dinner for some of my family and then we will all gather for dessert at another house. Everyone is already talking about plans for Christmas! I keep telling myself to take deep breaths! Think I will go grocery shopping and pick up a few more things rather then wait until the last minute.

Nice that you could join us KEK-2 - looking forward to your next thread.

putt

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Welcome KEK-2

Good morning putt,
    We will certainly miss tt now that she has gone on hiatus. Just hope everything is ok with her. But I am glad to see you too over the reigns and started a new thread - it was getting too long again.
    My two boys started in our public school for the first couple of years, but we found they did not get the attention they needed. They are both very bright and they were actually tutoring other students in their class. So, they finished elementary and middle school in a Catholic school, where they had much smaller classes and where they had a chance to live up to their potential. We never regretted the switch. They spent their high school years in a Catholic all boys prep school. I am so thankful, we could afford it. It really gave them a wonderful start for college.
    I am having company of my son from Japan - so we are doing lots of shopping for stuff he wants to take back there. It is wonderful to have him here. Then I have to start packing for our trip to Texas for Thanksgiving - so it will be a few busy days coming up. We are leaving Monday.
    So, I wish you and your family a wonderful Thanksgiving with all the trimmings. And yes - do take a deep breath - Christmas will be here before we know - Pingo

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Welcome KEK-2

Hi pingo

I am very sad that tt will be away for awhile. Sometimes a break can be healing and let's hope she will be back soon.

I am so glad your son is home to spend time with you and your family over the holiday. I must have missed a thread along the way because I thought he was home for good. Does he have a job in Japan or go to school? This may help answer some questions for the new people too.

I remember you telling us about last year's TG in Texas - it sounded like something we would watch on TV - we all wanted to be there with you.

You have a wonderful time and we will look forward to hearing all about it when you get back. We may have to start another thread just for TG stories.

putt

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Welcome KEK-2

Hi putt -

We had a different version of "under the broilers." My mother made them with turkey or ham, cheese and bacon. No tomato on mine. I've never cared for a garden tomato, even though I like tomato sauce, ketchup, etc... Every once in awhile, I make myself a grilled ham and cheese on whole wheat bread. Thanks for bringing back memories!

Fell asleep after I got home tonight and woke up too refreshed to go to bed. Hope it's not going to be a sleepless night. Have to be up early. I'm having my hair cut before I go to work.

mothermitzi

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Welcome KEK-2

Hi mothermitzi

I did notice your early morning post but I did the same thing. Got really comfortable on the couch and the next thing I knew it was midnight and I'm ready for the day.. You can bet by late afternoon I'll be asleep on the couch again.

Looking out the window this morning I noticed a gentleman going through our recycle bins for returnables. Thank heavens I put several out. Maybe this is a pay it forward situation for me.

Another memory I have of growing up was fried dough. My dad used to buy the dough at the local bakery, heat the old black iron pan in at least an inch of lard and when it was done smother it in butter, maple syrup and confectioners sugar. No wonder I'm Weight Watchers biggest supporter today.!!

How are you enjoying your new decorating? It sure sounds wonderful. I bought a new sofa two weeks ago and I'm still thrilled each time I walk into the living room.

If it warms up a little it may be a good day to walk in the park. I know I've gained most of the pre wedding weight back. We have reservations for Aruba in January and I'll never fit into my bathing suit or shorts.

Have a great day!

putt

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Welcome KEK-2

Hi putt -

Aruba, huh? Sounds nice to me. It's cold enough to leave today. I know what you mean about the bathing suit issue. I saw a picture taken of me this summer in a bathing suit. Even after losing a few pounds, I looked as though there should be a harpoon in the photo! I have managed to keep off the weight I lost, but you know I will never be skinny minny. I made some changes to my diet I've stuck with, but I need more exercise. Now that it is colder, I'm not walking everyday. After Thanksgiving, I'm going to get an indoor bike.

Was at the hairdresser early this morning. She had a loaf of homemade pumpkin bread and cut me a slice with cream cheese. Tasted so good with a cup of coffee. I am enjoying my new look at home. We'll see what the verdict is on Thanksgiving. All the critics will weigh in, I'm sure. Bet you are enjoying your sofa. It's nice to have something new for the holidays.

Enjoy your walk. It will be a brisk one.

mothermitzi

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Welcome KEK-2

Pingo,

You will be missed over the holiday.

Have a safe and happy trip.

Warmly,

little olwen

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Welcome KEK-2

Hi mothermitzi

You are so funny !! How many times I've said I look like a beached whale. Think we're a little hard on ourselves? If I had a nickel for every diet I tried my trip to Aruba would be paid for. One diet was beets and vanilla ice cream - remember those little caramels - were they called Ayds? I watched the new show called Ruby - she has the sweetest personality. Things definately could be worse then having to lose just a few pounds.

I did not get my walk today. I went shopping for a fondue pot instead. Remember we were talking about the Melting Pot. My kids want to do a fondue night soon and I have one that uses sterno but would prefer electric. Did find just what I wanted at Target.

Enjoy the weekend

putt

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from KEK. Show KEK's posts

Welcome KEK-2

Thank you again for all the welcomes. I'm sure my daughter will get into a good high school. She's a very good student and a hard worker. I also like the structure of the Catholic schools. I know it isn't for everyone but it has been great for us.

Believe me, I can relate to all the diet talk. I could lose a few too. (maybe more than a few). Now that I have the new dog I do have some incentive to walk more.

She really is doing great. A couple of accidents but that's it. Since she is older she doesn't seem to want or need an awful lot of excercise. A couple of walks a day and she's all set.

The cats have adjusted to her now. The pretty much ignore each other but my male cat is curious from time to time. He come up to sniff at her but if she even looks his way he's out of there.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Welcome KEK-2

Thanks little olwen - how sweet to see that nom again!
    Reminds me of my printed newspaper w/ a cup of coffee early mornings. I have discontinued the daily paper long ago. Kept the Sunday paper for a while, but stopped that one a few years ago as well.
    Just read yesterday (on the net) that the kiosk on Harvard Square will end its days on Jan 31. The owner will not renew their lease. When first married, we would stop at the kiosk late Saturday night and pick up the Sunday paper, and have reading material for an intire week. These days it is over in a couple of hours, and that includes the fliers with the coupons. Even the classified have shrunk into almost nothing. I guess the internet has taken over.
    I am looking forward to see my other son in Texas. We are going to spent TG on his in-laws ranch. We did that last year and it was very different, but just amazing.
    You and your family have a happy Thanksgiving - try to stay warm.
    - Pingo

[Quote]Pingo,

You will be missed over the holiday.

Have a safe and happy trip.

Warmly,

little olwen[/Quote]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Welcome KEK-2

Hi pingo

Have a wonderful trip - how long will you be away?

putt

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Welcome KEK-2

Good morning KEK-2

I often think about getting a puppy but for right now I am content visiting and playing with our grand dogs. The first dog we had was a stray that someone left at the baseball field. Of course, he sits right next to our car. It was a mixed breed but mainly terrier. Our second dog was from a friend and it was beagle bassett. Talk about cute.

I have been thinking about bundling up and taking a walk but people going by the house look frozen. Think I may wait until spring. Guess it will take a little longer for those pounds to go away.

Enjoy the day

putt

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Welcome KEK-2

Thank you putt! We are leaving Monday late so we can be on time for the Andrea Bocelli concert Tuesday - and come back Monday after TG. Hoping to beat the worst traffic. There will be plenty computers around, so I am hoping I will have time to check in wth you all. - Pingo

[Quote]Hi pingo

Have a wonderful trip - how long will you be away?

putt[/Quote]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Welcome KEK-2

Hi pingo - how could I have forgotten about the Andrea Bocelli concert - I remember you telling us that awhile back and we were all so envious-

Enjoy and please check in ~

putt

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Welcome KEK-2

Hi Pingo,

I hope you get to see EVERYONE.

When I was a kid, my parents made it a Saturday habit to go to Out-of-Town, then across to Nini's Corner. We'd have dinner either at the Wursthaus, or Mr. Bartley's, or Young & Yee, then hit Turnstyle for inexpensive clothing.

I fairly gave up on Harvard Square when The Tastee closed. About a hundred years ago, I worked the overnight shift at Gnomon Copy, and would take my 2 am dinner break at The Tastee. You couldn't get anything but burgers, frie and coffee at that time (the eggs were there, tempting us all, but they were off limits until sunrise).

Thank you for your sweet words, Pingo, and again, have a safe trip.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Welcome KEK-2

Hi reindeergirl -

You touched a cord when you mentioned those places in Harvard Square, so many gone and Out-of-Town soon to go. I can't say that I bought papers or magazines there myself, but I took many guests, students and family members there over the years. It's really the building itself that means most to me, a landmark if you will. I believe Young and Yee is still there. I still go to Mr. Bartley's and take the third generation of the family there. I loved the Wursthaus. Schnitzel holstein was my favorite dish there. Can't say I ever went to The Tastee, but how sad to see it go. Harvard destroyed that whole corner, forcing out the restaurants and putting in a GAP, I think. That was about the time the square started to change. The independent bookstores started to go and now it's a lot of chains. Why can't I remember Turnstyle? There was one in Medford, too. Where was the one in Cambridge? One of my favorite restaurants is Henrietta's Table in the Charles Hotel. Dinner or brunch is wonderful. And, the Brattle Theatre is still there. Yes, the square has changed, but after taking a recent trip to downtown Boston, Harvard Square is paradise! The students keep it lively and interesting.

mothermitzi

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Welcome KEK-2

Hi pingo -

I bet you are having a ball with your son. These visits mean a lot. How nice you will all be together for Thanksgiving, too. Are you making your pecan pies this year? One of my guests is making a pumpkin cheescake, so I am not making pumpkin pie. I am making two apple pies and a custard for my brother - his favorite. I may make a mince pie, too. I love it but not many members of my family do. I may be the only one eating it, and that's not a good thing.

I read your posts on another thread about the steam cleaner. I read that some people use them to clean the tile in the tub. I like that idea but don't know that I would have much use for it anywhere else in my house.

If I don't talk to you tomorrow, have a safe trip on Monday and a happy Thanksgiving. My father and I are going to Connecticut tomorrow. My cousin's daughter had a baby and they are in town for Thanksgiving. So, we will have a family reunion on a happy occasion. Take care.

mothermitzi

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Welcome KEK-2

Good Sunday morning mothermitzy,
    Yes, it has been an awesome week. So, good to have him here. Most of the time we have been shopping for shoes and clothing for him. He is 6 feet tall and wear size 13 shoes - and there is just no way he can buy those things in Japan. He wanted warm running gear (it is very cold in Japan in the wintertime) and basket ball clothing and shoes. Plus we went to Trader Joes to stock up for stuff to take back there.
    And of course we had to go to B & N for our cup of cappuchino. Last night we went to Outback. He had not had beef for over 5 months and devoured a filet mignon plus half of my prime rib.
    Well the good things always have to end, but at least we still have some time together in Texas. We are hoping he will come back for Christmas, but not only are the ticket prices tops at that time ($2000), but it is also a 17 hours trip each way - and for just a short time it may be just too much. Besides he has a deadline for a very important paper on Jan. 15th. We shall see, as they say.
    I am going to make my pecan pies in Texas this time. My DIL has already bought the ingredients. Even though I am a bit nervous baking in someone elses kitchen, it will be a lot easier than making them here and transporting them.
    Talking about steam cleaner, it is on my Christmas wish list. I have lots of tile floors in my kitchen, bathrooms, mudroom - and floor to ceiling tiles in all my bathrooms - so it will come in handy here. I have a friend that also uses hers on the kitchen counters and to clean stove and convection/microwave oven.
    You selected a nice day for a trip to CT. It is cold but the sun is out. So nice your father can join you. How is he doing with his spondylitis? Did he ever see the orthopedic? I recently bought a pair of new shoes. Merrill. And what a difference it made for me. I have always bought good shoes - Ecco, Clarks and such - but these have so much support, and since I started to wear them - there are days, I don't even have leg or back pain. Just thought I would pass this along.
    You have a nice visit with your family in CT. Come back safely - Pingo

back aches a lot

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Welcome KEK-2

Good Sunday morning

Getting ready for my kids to come by to watch the Pats and have some chicken casserole. Course, we have to have all kinds of snacks while we watch the game. So much for WW today.

Pingo you mentioned back aches. There are several in our exercise class that were mentioning the same thing and the instructor thinks it's the weather. My son was also complaining. Maybe we hold a lot of stress in that area too. Like you, I buy good shoes That's the one thing I really splurge on for myself.

Hope everyone enjoys the day.

putt

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Welcome KEK-2

Good afternoon putt,
    Oh yeah - football game and snacks go together. Have prepared several this morning as per my son's request. We had a big breakfast and I figured we skip lunch then. The boys are watching - I am ironing for tomorrow. Just had to take a break and sit down.
    Yes, you and your instructor are right. My pains and aches are definitely weather related. I call it my "weather leg". I feel when there is change in the weather. This time it can only be for the better. Looking forward to some nice warm weather in TX - supposedly in the 70th - but looks like it will be raining. I will take it though - a lot better than this blistering cold wind. Brrrr!
    Dinner tonight will be my rack-of-lamb. Another must before my son leaves.
    Let's hope the pats win - Pingo

[Quote]

Good Sunday morning

Getting ready for my kids to come by to watch the Pats and have some chicken casserole. Course, we have to have all kinds of snacks while we watch the game. So much for WW today.

Pingo you mentioned back aches. There are several in our exercise class that were mentioning the same thing and the instructor thinks it's the weather. My son was also complaining. Maybe we hold a lot of stress in that area too. Like you, I buy good shoes That's the one thing I really splurge on for myself.

Hope everyone enjoys the day.

putt

[/Quote]

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Welcome KEK-2

Hi Everybody -

Glad the Pats won, although I didn't see the game. Tried to get it on the car radio but couldn't find it. I love nothing more than making food and having people in to watch the game or going to someone's house. Sounds like you all were having fun with family and snacks. Beautiful day for a ride, although a bit chilly. Spent a nice afternoon with the family. Even though it is my mother's family, they are so happy to see my father. I'm glad we went. Stopped at Hebert's Candy Mansion in Shrewsbury on the way back. They make chocolate turkeys covered in foil at Thanksgiving, and I like to give them to the kids. They also make a chocolate covered cracker that my father likes (me too) so we stocked up. As putt says, so much for WW this week!

Pingo, bet your pies turn out fine. Texas pecans are the best. Whenever I go to Dallas, my friends take me to the farmers market and I buy a few pounds to bring home. After I post this, I'm going to roll out some sugar cookie dough and grab my turkey shaped cookie cutter.

I buy New Balance sneakers and find they are good for walking. They are very well made and comfortable. I have a pair of Merrills I wear around the office. I have always spent money for good shoes - so important. The only tile I have in my home is in the kitchen. The rest is hardwood floors and area rugs. I hate cleaning the tile in the tub but don't know if it's worth it to get a steam cleaner. I keep thinking about getting a house cleaner but hate to spend the money. Besides, with few exceptions, my friends who have them end up cleaning up after they leave!

Safe trip and safe home.

mothermitzi

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Welcome KEK-2

[Quote]Hi reindeergirl -

You touched a cord when you mentioned those places in Harvard Square, so many gone and Out-of-Town soon to go. I can't say that I bought papers or magazines there myself, but I took many guests, students and family members there over the years. It's really the building itself that means most to me, a landmark if you will. I believe Young and Yee is still there. I still go to Mr. Bartley's and take the third generation of the family there. I loved the Wursthaus. Schnitzel holstein was my favorite dish there. Can't say I ever went to The Tastee, but how sad to see it go. Harvard destroyed that whole corner, forcing out the restaurants and putting in a GAP, I think. That was about the time the square started to change. The independent bookstores started to go and now it's a lot of chains. Why can't I remember Turnstyle? There was one in Medford, too. Where was the one in Cambridge? One of my favorite restaurants is Henrietta's Table in the Charles Hotel. Dinner or brunch is wonderful. And, the Brattle Theatre is still there. Yes, the square has changed, but after taking a recent trip to downtown Boston, Harvard Square is paradise! The students keep it lively and interesting.

mothermitzi[/Quote]

Turnstyle was either where Kmart landed in what is now "Brighton Mills" - or in Porter Square, in the basement, underneath where Shaw's expanded. Senior moment here, please forgive. You had to go through a Turnstyle to go in. If it was in Porter Square, MM, after it closed, Decelle's moved in. Why do I think Brighton? I remember being on Soldiers Field Road a lot, going to that little strip mall on Western Avenue, with my parents when I was, say, ages 4 - 12. But I also remember the basement discount store in Porter Square. Here is the Wiki on it, and I spelled it incorrectly:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turn_Style

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Welcome KEK-2

MM,

I'll have to try the restaurant you like.

I'm sick that Out-of-Town is closing. I just found (today) an army-navy store in Downtown Crossing, it had moved there from elsewhere in the city. I was so happy. I wasn't looking for it, but I'm glad to know there still is such a thing!

BTW - CC helped enormously when I was, a few years back, seeing information on the Chickland restaurant, a fave of my grandfather's.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Welcome KEK-2

MM,

I'll have to try the restaurant you like.

I'm sick that Out-of-Town is closing. I just found (today) an army-navy store in Downtown Crossing, it had moved there from elsewhere in the city. I was so happy. I wasn't looking for it, but I'm glad to know there still is such a thing!

BTW - CCC helped enormously when I was, a few years back, seeing information on the Chickland restaurant, a fave of my grandfather's.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Welcome KEK-2

Hi Everybody -

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. We have a beautiful day to celebrate with no rain or snow to speak of. Looking forward to hearing about your day when you get a chance.

Let the feasting begin!

mothermitzi