Welcome May!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Welcome May!

Good morning,
    Yes, May is already here - April flew by too fast for most of us, with lots of happenings.
    Looks like the Juncos went back to Canada. Haven't seen them for a few days. But we have abundance of other birds; they eat like there is no tomorrow. Removed our heated birthbath - and placed another bb instead. Big confusion - but the birds have now adopted.
    Had a lovely tete-a-tete breakfast with DH, before he went to play tennis. Nice to be alone again Laughing
    BIL and SIL will be back Friday; then leave Sunday. Now preparing for a "feast" Friday night. Inviting their close friends. Kind of a way to get it out-of-the-way. Otherwise they will all stop by at their convenience - not so much mine Wink
    I put my Mandavillas out on our deck - wishing them well. Saw some at Costco the other day. Smiling - I got my own. They are now 5 years old and I am happy to say, that they are still doing so great (thanks GT).
    Not so much for my Rosemary. It died during the winter. Have to get a new one. I use Rosemary a lot. For roasted potatoes and lamb f. ex. Plus for 10 plus years, I have made DH's shampoo using it. Everyone comment on how great his hair looks - and it does.
    Going to our office when DH gets back - lots and lots of paperwork to do.
    - Pingo

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: Welcome May!

OOPS, somehow Kargiver and I missed the first day of May!  Glad you're on your toes, Pingo.  Loads of little violets in bloom out front, that should have reminded me.

Your company seems as tho they have been visiting you forever.  Probably seems that way to you too.  Time for them to go and you to get back in your old routine.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, today in the Globe Magazine Ms. Conduct has a comment just about that. "The Home Wrecker". Did you read it?
    My SIL don't dry her undies in my living room. She gives their laundry to me. But otherwise there are similarities.
    Ms. Conduct's conclusion is, that a two weeks stay is too long. Unfortunately, I can only agree with her. - Pingo

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I did read that.  At least your guests are entertaining themselves somewhat, but still it disrupts the daily routine.  Not easy to put 2 families under the same roof.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oops!  Happy May, everyone!

It's Gracie's 2nd birthday. :)

Lovely violets, tt.  DH is out doing our flowers, too.  He split some larger day lilies and put them in the front of the house (they were only along the rock wall).  They aren't even close to photo worthy yet, but they are growing fast.

Ugh, Pingo, you must be ready to throw them out in a fit of fury by now.  Bless you for your patience.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Happy May everyone.  It's so nice to see the sun shining, although it is still a bit chilly.

Pingo - I read that article in the Globe today and thought of you! Smile

Hope you all have a glorious Sunday!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Happy May!

Nothing bothered me about the SIL guest except this: the mail.

I'd never put up with anyone going through my mail, ever.

However, I'd given them the fashion catalogs, etc., to peruse.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hi all,
    I woke up this morning having such a craving for Chicken Soup. I had a frozen leftover carcass from a Costco Chicken in my freezer. So I went to Hannaford to get the makings for the soup. It s now simmering with a chopped onion, the cut off bottom of a celery bunch, couple of carrots, leek tops, bunch of parsley plus peppercorn and some bay leaves. That is for the stock. In 1/2 hour I will add some chicken drumsticks and keep it simmering for another 1/2 hour.
    Then after it is cooled down, I will strain it and use some for our soup tonight. Starting all over with the stock and adding tiny onions, 2 inch pieces of leeks, sliced carrots and later the meat form the carcass and the chicken legs. I am already savoring every spoonful. I guess a week of veggie food will do that to you, if you are not a vegetarian.

My SIL goes through our mail too. Not only that, she will go and pick the mail up from our mailbox. Look through it and take out the order forms - without asking - from my catalogs and order for herself. So if when and if, I would want to use them, there is none. She cuts out the coupons from flyers, that offers them. Like BB&B.

But as Ms. Conduct says, one cannot deal with an adult, who does not understand she is doing something wrong. If she did, she would not be doing it. So, I grin and bear it for the sake of DH. And counting the days/hours/minutes until it is over.
    - Pingo

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

It is such a beautiful day.  Just came in to make a cuppa blueberry tea.  Have pulled a chair into the part shade/part sunny part of the yard and am reading "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society".  It's a book of letters and I've put off reading it before because I didn't think I'd find a whole book composed of nothing but letters that interesting, but it's so good.  I'm enjoying it so.  The red maple in back has just it's red buds, and that against the green buds of all the trees behind is so beautiful.  Saw a tiny yellow flit at the very top of a tree behind it just as I came in.  My solitary goldfinch.  Must remember to pick up some nyger seed for him this week.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

In Response to Re: Welcome May!:
    [QUOTE]tt, today in the Globe Magazine Ms. Conduct has a comment just about that. "The Home Wrecker". Did you read it? My SIL don't dry her undies in my living room. She gives their laundry to me. But otherwise there are similarities. Ms. Conduct's conclusion is, that a two weeks stay is too long. Unfortunately, I can only agree with her. - Pingo
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

Pingo:  I'm sorry you're going through this, but I have to confess your post gave me a chuckle.

We don't get a lot of visitors, but it does make me think back to years ago when my MIL visited -- nice lady, but the meaning of a closed bedroom door is not something she was familiar with.  :-P   (Luckily, she's gotten better about that.)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I hear all these MIL stories and guess I must be quite spoiled by mine being fun to be around.  My funniest MIL story is when she was trying to help in the kitchen and unloaded and dried all the only-rinsed dishes from the dishwasher.  I had to laugh and put them all back in to be washed for real.  Thankfully, she didn't know where anything went so she piled them all up on the island instead of putting all the dirty dishes away.  LOL

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Being a MIL, I cringe when I hear some of these stories of intrusive MILs.  I can happily say none of my friends from my early married days seemed to run into MIL problems.  Remember, it's a 2 way street and takes consideration and respect on both parts.  I know a lot of posters on this thread aren't old enough to be a MIL yet, but some day, you will be.  Don't go into a marriage expecting to have to deal with a MIL from hell.  Instead I hope your MILs are lucky enough to have a DIL like mine who has treated me equally as her own mother since the first day my son brought her home.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm thankful we get along so well - I feel like one of their own kids.  I hope they feel the same by how I treat them.  I think so. :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Happy May everyone.  I'm a little late to the party.  My MIL now is awesome, the previous one not so much, but she's nice to my son so that's all that matters. 

So I did find living room curtains at J C Penney's yesterday.  We ordered them online and we should have them in 4-7 business days. 

I hung up the Dining Room curtains and here is a picture.  The blue is a little off, must be because of the sunlight and the light this morning.  The shade of the wall is a periwinkle blue with white wains coating and the curtain is a little lighter in color (blue).  I tried to get one of the scarfs that I found in the office, but with the morning light the camera didn't work too well.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

happy birthday Gracie.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Saw the advance weather forecast this morning and there's a raindrop on next Sunday.  I hope that's wrong, or changes.  Maybe we'll at least get a dry morning.

Out to day to look for a birthday present for granddaughter who will turn 7 next week.  Also keeping my eye open for something cute/clever for G.T.'s partner's birthday bash.  I'm not very good at joke gifts, but if I could find something just right - - - -

Hoping when I get back home the crew has come to cut my lawns.  Thought they were going to start the last week of May, but it definitely needs a trim this week.  Have been parking my car under the Japanese Cherry tree to give them room either side to get the mowers in, but now the tree is starting to drop its red blossoms, and that makes a mess on the hood of the car.  Anxious to be able to drive right up the driveway away from pollen and such.

Using restraint not to sit down and get back into my book, but I've told myself I can't do that until I get some of these other things done.  Otherwise, I'd be curled up on the couch right now.  Read almost half of it yesterday and had to forcibly stop and get a couple of washes done.  Chat later.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Love your window treatment, Winter.  It's beautiful.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Thanks tt.  I do have to pick up some tie backs but I was pleased with them. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

It's always fun to see someone else's ideas.  Glad you were able to find what you want for the l.r. too.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Winter, love your treatments!  I especially like the subtle detail of the gathered sheers behind the curtains.  Lovely work.

tt, I think you'll be glad you left your book 'til the afternoon.  It's supposed to cloud up so you can enjoy the sun and your errands then reward yourself in the gloomy afternoon with your book.  Oh, and I never put much faith in the long range forecast; they can barely get tomorrow right.  I swear, it's all just a big drinking game to them. LOL

I've got a chiropractic appointment in Worcester at 10 so gotta keep getting ready.  Too bad can't leave Gracie outside.  Oh, well, she's curled up in her crate for her morning nap (on her own) anyway.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Hear the sound of my lawn being cut. First time; it needed it so badly. I don't know, how grass grows. Last week there were barely any with large areas of bare dirt (which we reseeded a few weeks ago). Today there 6 inches tall grass, with the weeds already happily flowering. We couldn't use weed killer for the first application, as we were reseeding the lawn.
    tt, make sure you put the Nygar seeds on your list, next time you go shopping. You may want to hang them in a sack by itself, just like I did. The finches love, that they have their own little supply. I picked up the sack at that new store - forgot the name - that moved into the old Shaw's for $1.00. You can also purchase the sack all filled.
    Winter, your drapes are lovely. I love the sheer curtains too. Make a
    very nice arrangement.
    Better get ready. Need to go to the office - so much paperwork. And it never seems to end.
    Chat later - Pingo

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Thank you Pingo and Kar. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Happy Monday everybody.  I think I've mentioned before what a great MIL I have. She's still with us but doesn't know us anymore.  I couldn't have been luckier though, and I remembered that when my son got married.  I've had a few rough patches with my DIL but we've come a long way and she and my grandchildren were here this weekend.  She made a point of telling me they wanted to come for a pre-Mother's Day celebration.  She will be with her own mother next week, as it should be.  So, we all had a great time.  They stayed with my daughter but came here Saturday afternoon after we all went to breakfast with my father.  That was the best medicine for him.  They went off to the Museum of Science while I made dinner for everybody.  We included my neighbors and their kids.  I was tired but it was worth it.  On Sunday, they took me to my favorite brunch spot, Henrietta's Table.  It was wonderful, as always. Never been to a brunch that tops it.  So, I have already celebrated Mother's Day and couldn't be happier.  Of course, my son was not here, but we skyped with him.  After what happened yesterday in Pakistan, just makes me worry more about him, even though he tells me he is safe and is not anywhere close to that area.  A mother never stops worrying.

Never made it to the nursery, but that's ok.  Icer, I planted morning glories shortly after returning from NY.  Hoping for another banner crop!  

Back at the office and cleaning up quite a mess.  However, it's ok.  I'd rather be here than there.  Besides, shortly I will go out to lunch and walk down to the Public Garden.  Beautiful day for it.

mothermitzi 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Mothermitzy,
    So happy to see you back. I sounds like you are too, being back in Boston. What a lovely pre-mother's day you had. I love Henrietta's Table too. We spend a New Years Eve there. Just lovely - I still remember the Lobster Bisque, we had that evening. Never had anything like it - before or after. Going there again, you must try it.
    I am sorry, your Mandevilles didn't make it. I put mine out and they are doing just great. How is your tree, that broke a branch during the winter doing? Our tree broke one several years ago, and it is still as happy ever after. Hope you saved it.
    Is your son in Pakistan? No wonder you are worried. Pakistan is not a safe country, Bin Laden or no Bin Laden. Praying, your son will come home safely after his stint there.
    Love to hear about your walks in the Public Garden and along the Charles. Makes me smile. So many wonderful memories. - Pingo

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

It's a gorgeous day out there.  Enjoy your walk at noon, Mothermitzi.  G.T. uses his lunch time to get a walk in too, tho not as nice a view as you will have.

Found a couple of treasures for granddaughter, but still need one more thing to put in the bag.  Birthday is not until next week, so there's still time to hunt when I get together with friend on Weds.

I watched 60 minutes last night to hear the female reporter's account of when she was accosted and almost ripped apart limb from limb, along with being raped repeatedly.  Scarey times we live in.  When is your son's term overseas up?  I know you'll worry until he's safely back in the States.

Nice that your DIL came up to celebrate Mother's Day with you.  I'll have to remember Henrietta's Table next time the guys are talking about us going out to eat.  Do they serve lunch every day?  I can google and see.

Y&R is on, so must go catch up.  Wanted to stop in Job Lots and pick up one of those sock nyger seeds you mentioned, Pingo, but after B&N and Marshall's, I was too hungry to make another stop.  May shoot out later.