Do you shop at Talbots?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

Do you shop at Talbots?

Talbots said it would stop selling children's and men's clothing, and close some stores. Do you shop at Talbots? What do you think of its clothes?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennsema. Show jennsema's posts

Do you shop at Talbots?

I always considered their clothes for the 40 something aged woman. Now that I'm closer to that age group, I think they are still way to old for me!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mweathe1. Show mweathe1's posts

Do you shop at Talbots?

I've tried shopping in the men's store with no success. Although the clothes look nice, they often feel scratchy and awkward. One would expect at their prices the quality of the material to be higher. It seems to me they use lesser quality material but charge higher end prices. Pretty to look at - not nice to touch - and certainly not nice on the wallet. Personally, I am a Brooks Brothers guy. The clothes look nice and feel nice. I don't mind spending the $$ because of the quality. And in my opinion Talbots just does not have it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from arts4all. Show arts4all's posts

Do you shop at Talbots?

About two weeks ago I went into a Talbot's for the first ever. The clothes seemed very matronly and everything seemed dated. I can see why they're closing!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from megan. Show megan's posts

Do you shop at Talbots?

Their womens stuff is hit or miss, but their childrens stuff is tack-o-rama and too expensive, and their mens stuff was boring and too expensive.

They should have just stuck with womens clothing. They do actually do that well. Not everyone wants to dress like a 15 year old for their entire life.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from litchik. Show litchik's posts

Do you shop at Talbots?

The children's clothes were a stab at the Polo look, I think. It was a relief in boys clothes from the "my son is a thug" look at the Gap. But the materials were inferior and the prices high. I always went there last.

As for the women's clothes, they have always struck me as what the former Catholic school girl would wear. Given the long decline in Catholic school enrolment I can see why their market disappeared.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from twomeds. Show twomeds's posts

Do you shop at Talbots?

I buy all my work/business casual clothes at Talbots Mens. I'm very disappointed with the store closings! I've never been much of a Brooks Brothers fan - just too 'old' for me - but TM had a nice flair. The clothes are great, wear forever, and always look nice. My wife loves the women's clothes, and our kids have always loved the stuff there. Of course, the sales & the outlet in Hingham are always the best buys, and we try to avoid the full retail, but overall, a great store which we'll miss. The mens store in Hingham makes the nearby Jos. Banks look like Builiding 19.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from landlocked. Show landlocked's posts

Do you shop at Talbots?

I used to work for Talbot's at their corporate headquaters (15 years ago). I still love Talbots and have continued to shop there. The clothes are classic and well made , you can always count on the size being true to size and the clothes last for years. They do sometimes get on weird color tangents, but they always stay with the classic colors as well. I agree years ago their clothes were very matronly (20+ years ago), but they have changed there target demographic to women 30+ (not 60+!).

I did think that is was not a wise business decision to sell men's clothing. I guess they were thinking they could feed off of the women shoppers who also shop for their husbands. I personally have never bought anything for my husband at Talbots, and never even thought about doing it. Maybe good ol' Arnold Zetcher (CEO) wanted to be able to take advantage of the 40% employee discount! :-) It is probably time for Arnold to step down and put some new fresh blood in charge. Not someone that thinks selling men's clothes at a store that is known as a women's specialty retailer!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sirquincy. Show sirquincy's posts

Do you shop at Talbots?

their kids stuff is really cute but I thought overpriced! I always went for the sales..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from judygggg. Show judygggg's posts

Do you shop at Talbots?

Kids clothes - CUTE but too expensive, Can't find an outfit for under $40. THAT's a problem.

The woman's stores are way too small. Look into any catalog and there is tons more in the way of merchandise. Also, the photos of the merchandise on their website are way too small and of poor quality (you'd expect more from Talbots)!!!

Customer rewards- Ha! You have to spend $500 in a calendar year - Yes, CALENDAR year and then you can get a $25 certificate Big whoop

I'd love to give them a makeover!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from e67. Show e67's posts

Do you shop at Talbots?

Oh great. Nothing but coarse thread loosely-woven linen shirts. And if that's not useless enough, then they're like 70 dollars or something.

Never bought anything. I'll stick with J Crew.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from baileykins. Show baileykins's posts

Do you shop at Talbots?

I've always hated the clothes there. Very maternal looking. Overpriced and overrated. Shopping at Talbots is like shopping out of a Chadwick's catalog, with too many "blazer" options (who still wears blazers after the 90's, I don't know), trouser socks and tweed patterns. Everything in there is so outdated and old-fashioned. Good riddence! Snobby Hingham people can have it but take the new store out of Plymouth. J Jill too, that's another overrated, overpriced store. Buh-bye!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from goldfloor. Show goldfloor's posts

Do you shop at Talbots?

I'm not surprised about Talbot's Mens closing. I use to stop in at the Madison Avenue store and I would be the only person there. I found the merchandise unexciting and the quality inconsistent. I think anyone who shopped there will return to Brooks Bros or Jos A Bank as they seem to draw the same clientele.

I also heard that Talbots execs are not getting bonuses this year - seems appropriate.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hhtjd0524. Show hhtjd0524's posts

Do you shop at Talbots?

amen to that. I too am a loyal customer. They do keep up with the styles - and the quality is always consistent. Not something seen in the department stores - unless you shop their premium boutiquest.

The kids stuff is cute for little girls - but as they get older - it does get a bit too conservative.

As for the mens - no comment. Seems fairly conservative though.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hliu55. Show hliu55's posts

Do you shop at Talbots?

As a parent, my wife and I have always felt that the Talbots Kids clothing was very good quality, better than many, maybe a notch below Hanna Anderson. We both were shocked to hear that the children's line will go away. I guess we'll be hitting the clearance sales to stock up for future sizes!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyadvice. Show guyadvice's posts

Do you shop at Talbots?

Talbots reminds me of the store base for the women of the Red Hat Society. I'm 37 and the clothing is a little "old" for my tastes

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kpurdy. Show kpurdy's posts

Do you shop at Talbots?

Talbots used to be my favorite store until they started selling inferior quality clothing. Whoever buys for them now is buying K-Mart quality clothing and putting a Talbots label on it. They haven't lowered their prices, only their quality.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from punkrawk. Show punkrawk's posts

Do you shop at Talbots?

Another good brand that spread itself too thin...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bstnrresponder. Show bstnrresponder's posts

Do you shop at Talbots?

A friend's husband once described Talbots as clothing for women who do not like sex. I giggle every time I pass the store now.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cbreeze. Show cbreeze's posts

Do you shop at Talbots?

I loved the mens clothes......they had really nice stuff i will be disapointed but not as much as the layed off workers.

i wish there was a decent men's clothing store

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from elainerose. Show elainerose's posts

Do you shop at Talbots?

Interesting note ... a lot of people here mentioned J.Crew which was in some serious trouble a few years ago. They have done very well at re-inventing thier image recently. As a brand, I think that Talbots needs to re-focus and what has made its some $$$ ... ie the woman who has gotten older but still wants to look good and not feel like she is some Gap or Target knock off (I fall into this category even though I never thought I would! LOL) ... quality could have fallen a bit but so has J.Crew and any other so called mainstream "premium brand" in our country. This is price we pay for outsourcing our manufacturing goods and then expecting to pay less. We can throw away the $25 sweater and pay 2 more to replace it. Perhaps they should focus on increasing their quality while redefining their target marget. I know plenty of women who will pay premium $$$ for clothing that fits, looks good, and will last more than 6 months.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from microplasma. Show microplasma's posts

Do you shop at Talbots?

Talbot's is all old lady clothes, almost as bad as Appleseed's. If middle aged women want to look like they are still alive they should shop at Chicos.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from litchik. Show litchik's posts

Do you shop at Talbots?

Check your OED my dear before throwing your assumptions around. The nuns at St. Joe's will take offense.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from litchik. Show litchik's posts

Do you shop at Talbots?

True to your religious upbringing, facts will not sway you from faith. I have better things to do than keep pointing out your ignorance. And no, not even the nuns called it St. Joseph's, we all called it St. Joe's. If the informality bothers you, tough friggin' luck.

Back on topic, Talbot's women's clothing was out dated and dull. I see they still have a market.

Ciao.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 66que. Show 66que's posts

Do you shop at Talbots?

I use to shop at Talbots exclusively for my business attire but some time in the 90s they hit a bad batch and a lot of their clothes started looking like those sold at LL Bean so I stopped going (that trend has turned around and I do shop there again). The clothes were always high quality, while expensive if you took care of them properly the items would last a very long time. I agree with those who say the clothes are not frumpy, they were classic styles that had nothing to do with fashion of the month. I don't want to buy things where you could tell what year I bought it (what designer thought fringe on business suits was great fashion ?!).

I never understood buying J Jill, that store sells things that are very over priced and quality is hardly high-end. I'm not paying $65+ for a pair of casual cotton pants then I can get the same thing (style and quality) at the Dress Barn for about $23.

I've never been in the Men's or Kid's stores but I remember when they were launched and didn't think it was a great idea. Seems to me that there have been a series of very bad management decisions that caused the current problems but not because of the classic styles which were the Talbot's trade. Go back to what you were doing best.