Girls wearing flip-flops to work with nice work clothes - yea or nay?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from IHateRonBorges. Show IHateRonBorges's posts

This debate came up with a group of friends this week and it, surprisingly, got a little heated...  I am in the "all for it" camp...  The other side was basically saying that if you go through the trouble of dressing nice with the rest of the outfit, why ruin it by wearing flip-flops?  I, personally, see nothing wrong with flip-flops and think this is kind of a snobby attitude...  Any thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

If by flip flops you mean any shoe that makes a slapping noise when you walk, then I think it depends on the shoe.  But if by flip flops you mean beach flip flops [which are usually plastic] then, yes, I think it's tacky.  Some of my friend and I used to snicker at a few of the other attorneys in the office who used to wear flip flops in the office w/ work clothes.  It's not professional at all.  There are plenty of other, real shoes that you can wear that are just as comfortable and seasonal as flip flops.  In fact, there are leather thongs that are pretty much exactly the same as beach flip flops, but are more professional looking.  There are tons of summer sandals and kitten heels that you can wear with professional clothes and still look professional.  It also depends on your office.  Also wearing them to work and then putting on regular shoes when you get into the office is perfectly fine too.  I used to wear flats on the T and then change into heels when I got into the office back when I worked in town.  On the plus side, if you don't like the person who is wearing the flip flops, the bonus is that you can hear then coming and make yourself scarce.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BoomersRockToo. Show BoomersRockToo's posts

I think the use of flip flops (as known as shower shoes) to work or a professional setting is inexcusable!  Tacky Tacky Tacky!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sunshinemrs. Show sunshinemrs's posts

Nay, unprofessional in most office settings.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from trublusu. Show trublusu's posts

It's ok to wear them into work, same for sneakers - but once you arrive at work, put on dress shoes.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from damiged. Show damiged's posts

I agree with trublusu.  Fine for commuting, but not fine in the office.  I wear flip flops every day, even in winter, as I hate wearing shoes.  I always coordinate my flip flops to my outfit (I have 30+ pairs), but always change into shoes when I get to the office.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

Just having this conversation today. A co-worker who knows the dress code showed up today in shorts, tank top and lately wearing flip flops every day.  She is always walking back and forth, in and out of the office and we have to listen to the constant loud SLAP SLAP SLAP SLAP all day long.  Yet she is the first person to point out to some of the guys who walk they are dragging their feet.  Any way, back to the flip flops; maybe on a casual Friday during the summer but that's about it.  They don't belong in the office and do not look professional.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pomgreen. Show pomgreen's posts

I agree with others who said wearing them into work is one thing but you should then change your shoes to something more work appropriate.

I'm not sure what your office setting is but given that the question came up in reference to "dressing nice" I'm assuming you're not a camp counselor and actually in an office.  Of course offices vary in their dress code but I'm willing to be that even if it's not explicitly prohibited in your dress code it's assumed that most people know it's not professional.

Do your superiors wear flip flops around the office?  I've always been told to dress up to the next level because that's usually a good marker of acceptability.  Also, keep in mind just because no one tells you not to wear flip flops it doesn't mean they aren't judging you on your lack of professionalism.  I would just buy shoes that are more comfortable for work or wear the flip flops for commuting and keep a more appropriate pair at your desk.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nesportsfan6013. Show nesportsfan6013's posts

I agree. Flip-Flops, as well as any other non-workstyle shoes are not acceptable in an office environment. This means those "crocs" that many people are wearing these days. They are clearly not professional looking in an office. They should be fine in a work environment like a supermarket, Walmart, CVS, etc. In those work situations,you are on your feet all day, and need something comfortable. Although I'm guessing many of those places wouldn't allow Flip-Flops due any possible injuries.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LynahFaithful. Show LynahFaithful's posts

Is this even a question? Unless you work as a lifeguard, flip flops are never appropriate to wear at work.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from garfield4me. Show garfield4me's posts

It's funny how heated this debate does get between people inside and outside of work, isn't it?!  Thin, plastic, beach flip-flops are absolutely unacceptable footwear in a business environment.  They are loud and obnoxious to the point of being distracting.  They are meant for the beach or the pool, not for the office.  It even drives me crazy when I see people wearing them at the mall!   But that's a different setting where people can wear whatever they want.  So yes -please - no flip flops at work - ever!  :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hot-tomato. Show hot-tomato's posts

Even better... a candidate for a job at my workplace showed up for her interview wearing flip flops!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

[Quote]People dress themselves with the same regard and standard as they show the quality of work they do.[/Quote]

BINGO!!!!!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

[Quote]Even better... a candidate for a job at my workplace showed up for her interview wearing flip flops![/Quote]

That's bad!  Unless it was a lifeguard position, that is. My office specifically forbids flip flops for office wear.  Fine if you want to wear them to work, but wear real shoes in the office. 

And gee, I thought it was bad when a candidate I was helping to interview answered her cell phone during an interview, I can't imagine dressing down like that for an interivew.  No matter how dressed up they are, flip flops are still flip flops. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from IHateRonBorges. Show IHateRonBorges's posts

Okay, I am the guy who originally posted this...  I realize that I wasn't clear when I originally wrote it...  I don't think they are acceptable in the office either...  But our conversation pertained to wearing them while on your way to work...  Some of the people were saying how bad and tacky it looked when they would be on their way into work and saw women going to work with a nice skirt, or whatever, and then wearing flip-flops on their feet...  I completely disagreed but I made that I clarified that they meant that they hated them even for just the commute into work and they said they did...  That is what made me feel the need to post this originally - because I couldn't believe that they had a problem with that...