Best Fish and Chips?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from somvill. Show somvill's posts

Best Fish and Chips?

I'm curious what constitutes your favorite and why. It can be anywhere in MA or New England, but I would make that the limit.

My childhood favorite used some version of crackers or potato chips as a coating and whenever I taste something like that it brings me back. But, beyond nostalgia, what do you think is the best F/C?

My current vote is for Sandy's Seafood in Bourne, MA newly reopened after being closed for a few years. Great fried clams as well. Worth the trip around the rotary once or twice more!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Best Fish and Chips?

I love a medium thickness, golden beer batter with haddock, not cod. None out there I like better than my own...I use Paula Deen's beer batter recipe with Sam Adams lager and an electric frypan to assure proper oil temp.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

I only eat two "fried" dishes....breaded veal and chicken parm, and not often.

I hate fried fish of any kind as most fish has a subtle taste and covering it in a batter takes away - IMHO  from the fish. I like my baked haddock a lot.  I use a simply family recipe for seafood cracker crumb stuffing.

1 sleeve of original Town House Crackers
    1 stick butter or margarine
    Garlic Powder and
    Parsley

For Bake Stuffed Lobster, I use the same recipe but I ad...

the "tamale" of the lobster (offers a saltwater flavor) and
    scallops

Everything in moderation........

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In Response to Re: Best Fish and Chips?:
    [QUOTE]I only eat two "fried" dishes....breaded veal and chicken parm, and not often. I hate fried fish of any kind as most fish has a subtle taste and covering it in a batter takes away - IMHO  from the fish. I like my baked haddock a lot.  I use a simply family recipe for seafood cracker crumb stuffing. 1 sleeve of original Town House Crackers 1 stick butter or margarine Garlic Powder and Parsley For Bake Stuffed Lobster, I use the same recipe but I ad... the "tamale" of the lobster (offers a saltwater flavor) and scallops Everything in moderation........
    Posted by RogerTaylor[/QUOTE]

I agree. I love fish, but hate friend fish. I think frying completely ruins the taste of the fish. Too funny..but I use the townhouse crackers as well. I've never tried using garlic. I use butter and squeeze lemon onto the whole thing before I bake it..ditto for lobster and scallops.

Funny, I went to Woodmans in Essex a few weeks ago. I always get the lobster roll and my SO usually get fried clams. I noticed you could add a fried lobster tail to any seafood plate, so I asked him to add one to his clam platter so I could try it. I did..and what a way to ruin lobster. I should have known, but more than one person told me how good it was. It wasn't for me.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Best Fish and Chips? : I agree. I love fish, but hate friend fish. I think frying completely ruins the taste of the fish. Too funny..but I use the townhouse crackers as well. I've never tried using garlic. I use butter and squeeze lemon onto the whole thing before I bake it..ditto for lobster and scallops. Funny, I went to Woodmans in Essex a few weeks ago. I always get the lobster roll and my SO usually get fried clams. I noticed you could add a fried lobster tail to any seafood plate, so I asked him to add one to his clam platter so I could try it. I did..and what a way to ruin lobster. I should have known, but more than one person told me how good it was. It wasn't for me.
    Posted by miscricket[/QUOTE]

Lobster is another food NOT to fry!

All the baked stuffed lobster I ever had in a restaurant tasted like the stuffing was made with sawdust and that olio/butter substitute crap!

The one time I had a very good baked stuffed lobster was in Kennibunkport,ME at some small restaurant that had President Bush's autographed pics all over the place with his wife Barbara, so i'm thinking "this has to be good!"...a moist bland bread/crouton stuffing  but edible.

My Dad made the best baked stuffed lobster and I learned how to do it from him

NOTE: I use garlic "powder" NOT fresh garlic and very little at that - i can't tell you how much, probably LESS than a quarter teaspoon

Drove all the way to Woodman's from the south shore and didn't get anything I couldn't have gotten at Lindsey's or The Lobster Pot in Wareham.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Best Fish and Chips? : Lobster is another food NOT to fry! All the baked stuffed lobster I ever had in a restaurant tasted like the stuffing was made with sawdust and that olio/butter substitute crap! The one time I had a very good baked stuffed lobster was in Kennibunkport,ME at some small restaurant that had President Bush's autographed pics all over the place with his wife Barbara, so i'm thinking "this has to be good!"...a moist bland bread/crouton stuffing  but edible. My Dad made the best baked stuffed lobster and I learned how to do it from him NOTE: I use garlic "powder" NOT fresh garlic and very little at that - i can't tell you how much, probably LESS than a quarter teaspoon Drove all the way to Woodman's from the south shore and didn't get anything I couldn't have gotten at Lindsey's or The Lobster Pot in Wareham.
    Posted by RogerTaylor[/QUOTE]

Yes..lesson learned!! Frying made the lobster chewy and robbed it of all the flavor. Actually, I was quite disappointed with Woodman's the last time there. There are plenty of better places on the north shore too. Woodman's definitely isn't worth the drive from the south shore..:-)

I've never even tried to make baked stuffed lobster. I am basically lazy when it comes to lobster. I like garlic and use it all the time on salmon. Next time I make baked haddock, I am going to sprinkle a bit on.

I've heard great things about the Lobster Pot!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

miscricket FYI:   Woodmans is "upscale" by comparison to the Lobster Pot.  It's cafeteria style order/pick up, and the seating and tables are OK - inside and out.

The food and pricing is "local friendly" versus "tourist prices" charged elsewhere on the Cape.

Enjoy!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Not a huge fan of lobster. But I think the best way to prepare it is... Pop the claws off and pull the tail off while the lobster s still kicking. Crack the claws and splt the tail in two. Use a wok if you got one. Get it hot, add some oil, scallions, garlic, and slices of ginger. Toss in the lobster parts. Stir occassionally.