Best place to buy bulk food (spice, nuts, etc)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from quechee2011. Show quechee2011's posts

Best place to buy bulk food (spice, nuts, etc)

I can't seem to find a place the sells inexpensive, bulk foods.  I am mostly looking for pine nuts to make pesto.  Since I have moved to Boston I have to have my mom get them for me in Portland, ME at her Whole Foods, and just get them when I see her.  I tried Harvest CoOP, but they said $29.99/lb (my mom pays $16.99/lb).  Any ideas???

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnath. Show johnath's posts

Re: Best place to buy bulk food (spice, nuts, etc)

If you do not want to spend a lot of money use walnuts.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

quechee,
    Welcome to the BDC and welcome to Boston. Hope you will be happy here. If you need any other help here in Boston, you have come to the right place.

I agree with Jonath. You can make a lovely pesto using walnuts. I have even done it w/ spinach and walnuts and no one could tell the difference.
    I don't know where in Boston you live, but the Boston area have several Whole Food stores around. Just google them.
    As far as getting spices in bulk for cheap. Go to any Indian grocery store. They sell packages of spices, there are a lot fresher, than the tiny jars the grocery stores sells. I - f. ex. - buy crushed black pepper there. $1.99 for a large bag. Maybe ten times as much in volume as my grocery store sells in a tiny jar for $3 - 4.
     - Pingo

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Jonath my friend how are you doing. Haven't seen you posting much lately. Not that I have been so active either. Any new good recipes?
    Hope you are doing well and enjoying your new home - Pingo

In Response to Re: Best place to buy bulk food (spice, nuts, etc):
    If you do not want to spend a lot of money use walnuts.
    Posted by johnath

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from quechee2011. Show quechee2011's posts

Thanks so much!  My mom recommended using walnuts as well, but I was a little hesitant about it tasting "off".  Maybe I'll give it a shot though!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnath. Show johnath's posts

quechee, The nuts are more for texture than flavor.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEU05. Show NEU05's posts

Polcari's in the North End carries a lot of Italian specialties.  Not sure if they'd have pine nuts in bulk, but I'm sure they'd have them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NH-Sox-Fan. Show NH-Sox-Fan's posts

Althogh they don't have them in bulk, Trader Joe's has great prices, generally, and I get my pine nuts (and lots of other great stuff) there.