Coffee drinkers: Starbucks or Dunkin' Donuts?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from abet6d. Show abet6d's posts

Re: Coffee drinkers: Starbucks or Dunkin' Donuts?

Starbucks is much better than DD!  The best you can make at home. Actually I descovered one little coffeeshop recently, their's coffee is incredibly delicious, it remind me europian coffee. Though it is expensive but worth it. The shop is located on Beacon St. in Brookline.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sweetmanon. Show Sweetmanon's posts

Dunkin' Donuts if I run out of milk  or if I'm too late to make my own (rare). 
    Starbucks tastes burnt to me and I suffer from the phobia of ordering a medium coffee in a pseudo-suave-a-go-go language. It's just too pretentious.
    The whole Starbucks schtick prompted me to write a short-short story for Three Minute Fiction. Please enjoy:

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sage143. Show Sage143's posts

Sorry, I don't like either -
    I find DD coffee completely undrinkable, and Starbucks generally seems too strong and often tastes burned.
    Best "chain coffee" on South Shore is at Coffee Corner in Scituate Harbor (I think they use New England coffee) or Mary Lou's, anywhere.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from EL17. Show EL17's posts

Starbucks "bold flavor of the day" is what I like. They came up with Pike Place coffee for a weaker coffee to compete with Dunkin. I only drink straight BLACK coffee, no sugar, no cream.

I never knew what coffee could taste like until I tried Starbucks bold flavor. After one gets used to drinking real coffee, there's no going back! Dunkin's black coffee is just caffeinated hot water to me now. Either you like the flavor of coffee (SB) or you don't (DD).

Starbucks is still pricey for a black coffee. A 20 ounce black coffee is about $2.10 now (before tax). I usually buy that size to get a lower price per ounce. Dunkin is somewhat cheaper.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL5000. Show AL5000's posts

In Response to Re: Coffee drinkers: Starbucks or Dunkin' Donuts?:
    IWhat goes beyond opinion is SB's price.  There's no way I could justify buying coffee at their prices.  Posted by joey-jo-joe-jr

Rubbish.  Compare the same sized coffee and Starbucks cost LESS.  This is an indisputable fact.
    Personally I prefer the taste and freshness of SB.  DD often lets their watery coffee sit around too long, and I hate the styrofoam cups. 
    Besides that, SB is a socially responsible company.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GHWB. Show GHWB's posts

Dunkin used to be good but its quality has dropped dramatically. The coffee is weak and the rest of its offerings are now made offsite and are never fresh.
    It's time to make the donuts (on site) again!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBuzz-1. Show TheBuzz-1's posts

I lived in Seattle for over 17 years and the 1st time I walked into a Starbucks I asked for a "Regular" I got a cup handed to me and the clerk pointed over to a table and said... "That will be $2.40 "   I replied ... " If I wanted to pour my own coffee, I would have had one at home."  The clerk further went on to say ... "No Tip? "  My reply was, "What For ?  handing me a cup."   Needless to say, I"ve NEVER walk into a Starbuck's since. lol 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from akpo10. Show akpo10's posts

Coffee drinkers: Starbucks or Dunkin' Donuts?

In Response to Coffee drinkers: Starbucks or Dunkin' Donuts?:

It's easy!! Starbucks sells REAL coffee (as sold in Italy and all around the Mediterranean) and Dunkin's sells DILUTED coffee.  So DD is great if you want to make profits from DILUTING, SB is all about coffee flavor.  Both sell HIGH CALORIE flavored drinks by the gallon - at high prices.  So drink water - or choose REAL or DILUTED coffee....  

Love all the comments about class....SB=HIGH and DD=Working...real BS in my opinion.  People buy on flavor - but I won't deny the # of people in SB  on their PCs for hours with ONE cup of coffee is crazy!  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from beadcraft. Show beadcraft's posts

[QUOTE]dunkin- because they actually prepare your coffee.  No standing over a dirty garbage barrell/counter adding your own cream, sugar, etc.  All the independents operate this way, too.  Disgusting. 
    Posted by crzn[/QUOTE]

That's one of the reasons I strongly prefer Starbucks. At DD, the counter person "preparing" my coffee often cannot understand the concept of coffee with only a small amount of milk and no sugar (sometimes the person doesn't speak English well enough, and sometimes it's a cultural thing). Usually I give up and ask for my coffee black rather than risk having a cup of coffee that has about three ounces of milk in it. Otherwise I ask to pour the milk myself, or to have the milk in a little separate cup. Mostly, though, I just go to Starbucks, where they understand that the patron might want to control the amount of milk in the coffee. 

I also like Starbucks for its focus on welcoming their patrons. The chairs are more comfortable, and there is never a sign saying you should stay only 20 minutes (that's less common these days, but it's what I remember from the past). It's also nice that the wireless Internet is now free (which was always true at Panera, and at Arlington's own Jam n Java).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from doogs3737. Show doogs3737's posts

[QUOTE] I lived in Seattle for over 17 years and the 1st time I walked into a Starbucks I asked for a "Regular" I got a cup handed to me and the clerk pointed over to a table and said... "That will be $2.40 "   I replied ... " If I wanted to pour my own coffee, I would have had one at home."  The clerk further went on to say ... "No Tip? "  My reply was, "What For ?  handing me a cup."   Needless to say, I"ve NEVER walk into a Starbuck's since. lol 
    Posted by TheBuzz-1[/QUOTE]

I do not believe you. Their coffee does not cost $2.40 and I really doubt the clerk asked for a tip. Get a life. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from clarky49. Show clarky49's posts

You go into Dunkin's and say " a medium regular" - no more explanation!  Need I say more?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from AguaCaliente. Show AguaCaliente's posts

I admit that I am a big fan of DD's frosted donuts (especially the maple), but their over-creamed coffee - do they serve it any other way? - tastes like it has been strained through a jailhouse sock. Given the meager choices of DD and SB, I choose SB. You can get a better cup than either offers in any Whole Foods. When I am on Cape Cod, I head straight for the Hot Chocolate Sparrow in Orleans. The BEST!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50Otis. Show 50Otis's posts

I drink my coffee HOT & BLACK and therefore can actually taste the coffee.  Starbucks coffee reminds me of the dregs at the bottom of the pot after standing all day.  It tastes like a poor burned, bitter Italian roast, while Dunks has a much rounder taste and aroma.  Give me Dunks over Starbucks every time.  I also use a standard 12-cup drip coffee-maker at home. Usually make 6 cups (prox 3 mugs) of coffee every morning.  While I often use Dunks coffee, I find that I get an excellent cup from 8 O’Clock French Roast, an old favorite that’s also very inexpensive. I buy it in bulk when on sale ($2.99 11oz). Another palatable inexpensive blend ($2.99 11oz when on sale) is NE Coffee.  I use many different blends during the course of the week but find their French Roast, while still drinkable, the poorest of the lot.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DC. Show DC's posts

I hate DD coffee, it is nothing more than colored water. I don't get the fancy drinks at SB very often, just plain old vente bold, and it doesn't cost anymore than at DD.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Liners. Show Liners's posts

Definitely Dunkin! I prefer a milder coffee and when I order a mild blend at Starbucks, it's still made from beans burnt beyond recognition.

What I find amusing about this poll is that it indicates that 40% of the people answering are buying their coffee at 10% of the shops (DD outnumbers SB by 10:1) and while there are typically longer lines at a Starbucks, I attribute that to the time it takes to make a triple no-fat carmel macchiato, not a 40% market share. So that leaves us with a load of pretentious fools that won't click DD on the poll only because they view Starbucks as the elite establishment. That's why polls and focus groups are useless. People don't tell you how they truly feel about anything, even coffee. They only tell you what they want you to believe about them.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Otis, I agree that black is the only way to truly compare.  And, our tastes are siimilar in that I also think SB has a distinct burned flavor, not one that comes from having been richly roasted, but of being poured from a pot that has been sitting on the heating element for 8 hours.  DD is milder (also not richly roasted), but isn't burned.

I prefer Pete's, actually.  They have richly roasted coffee that doesn't have a burned taste.  It's not "flavored," either; the different offerings are from different regions of the coffee growing world, although they mostly brew the Columbian.  I like Ethopian, come to find out (but it's too expensive for them to brew too often so you have to buy the beans and brew it yourself).  I tried them all one year and made a tasting spreadsheet (Pacific Rim coffees came in dead last, all reminiscent of dirt - they call it "earthy").

ETA:  I don't see a poll to vote in...I'd have picked DD, though, over SB.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I've already weighed in on this debate, but I'm curious if people are talking about the actual coffee, as opposed to how it may be prepared at a given location.

For example, I think Starbucks locations do a better job in general of having their coffee taste pretty much the same no matter which location you go to.  Whereas Dunkins (whose coffee I actually prefer) varies tremendously from location to location, which is partly to blame for it's somewhat bad reputation.  It's very annoying to me that I can't stop for coffee at the DDs on the way to work because that particular location's coffee always tastes burned.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GElligan. Show GElligan's posts

Starbucks coffee is too strong for me. If I have any after lunch, I have problems sleeping. DD for me by default.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If caffeine is your only deterrent (i.e., if you like the taste of SB better), you can ask them for a 1/2 caffeine, 1/2 decaf cup.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEU05. Show NEU05's posts

I prefer Starbucks, I think there's more depth in the flavor and it's usually brewed stronger. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 9Crescent. Show 9Crescent's posts

[QUOTE]Dunkin' Donuts has 6 locations in Milford, MA, yes 6, and each is a total letdown. I can go through the drive through and order something- anything- and they will get it wrong at their Fortune Boulevard location, and they will always get it wrong. They do this EVERY TIME! [/QUOTE]

Consider yourself lucky that you have drive throughs.  I live in Waltham.  We have 8 DD's, and none are drive throughs.  In the neighboring towns, Belmont, Newton and Watertown it is also hard to find a drive through.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from my2centsalso. Show my2centsalso's posts

As a former corporate employee of DD, my favorite is Starbucks.  DD coffee is very weak and reminds me of brown water.  Starbucks has a bit of a bite and tastes like coffee should.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ClarkDylan. Show ClarkDylan's posts

I'd have to say Starbucks. HANDS DOWN