Fish Cakes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Fish Cakes

Hi Obbi - this is the recipe from the Legal Seafoods Cookbook (anno1988). I have used this recipe many times and they are good. They mayhave changed it since then to make them lighter. What I like about thisrecipe is, that they use cooked fresh fish - not salt fish -and freshlymashed potatoes.
    Here we go:

6 Tbs. butter
    1/3 cup chopped scallions, white part only
    1and 2/3 cup freshly mashed potatoes
    1 Tbs. sour cream
    6 ounces flaked cooked white-fleshed fish, such as cod, haddock, halibut or flounder. (I always use cod.)
    1 egg
    1/4 teasp. dry mustard
    Salt to taste
    Freshly ground pepper
    3 Tbs. minced parsley
    Dryed bread crumbs
    1 Tbs. olive oil

Heat two Tbs. of the butter and saut� the scallions until soft. Do not let them brown. Set aside.
    Cook the potatoes, and when soft, drain and mash themw/ 1 Tbs. butterand the sour cream. Combine them w/ the fish and set aside.
    Beat the egg, add the mustard and the salt and pepper. Stir inscallions and parsley. combine w/ the potatoes and fish. Don't use amixer, the potatoes will be gummy.
    Form the codfish mixture into 8 cakes and dip each one in bread crumbs.
    Heat the remaining butter and oil in a large frying pan, and saut� themslowly for about 3 minutes on each side, or until they are lightlybrowned and cooked through. (Me: remember the fish and the potatoes arealready cooked, so don't overdo them.)

Now me again:
    I have substituted finely chopped onions for the scallions if not athand. Also, I have used the Italian seasoned bread crumbs if I didn'thave the parsley.Legal serve them w/ Ketchup, I serve them w/ Tartarsauce.
    I have substituted leftover cooked Salmon for the cod and added dryed dill instead of parsley. All came of good.

Hmmm!� Now, you make me want to make these for dinner tonight. LOL

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnath. Show johnath's posts

Fish Cakes

Is 6 part potato to 1 part fish correct?� I poach my fish first.� I use the opposite 6 fish to 1 potato. After all it is fish cake not potato cake. I use celery, onion, parsely, bread crumbs�and red pepper all finely chopped.�I bind it with an egg. Dip it in flour and fry them.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissa. Show lissa's posts

Fish Cakes

Does anyone know the best place to buy/get ingredients for Japanese-style fish cakes? Or a restaurant that serves good ones? I had them in�a restaurant in Baltimore years ago and they were heaven on earth, and would love to reproduce something similar here in Boston.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sweet-t. Show sweet-t's posts

Fish Cakes

As for poaching: I also poach the fish for my fishcakes too and throw in a few extra ingredients to the liquid so at the end you have a nice fish stock you can use for soups, chowders, etc. Usually a handful of parsley stems, a bay leaf, salt, a quartered onion, a clove of garlic, a chopped carrot, a chopped celery stalk, and (if i have it) half a bulb of chopped fennel. Just cool it, strain it, and freeze it

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from grampy18. Show grampy18's posts

Fish Cakes

[Quote]As for poaching: I also poach the fish for my fishcakes too and throw in a few extra ingredients to the liquid so at the end you have a nice fish stock you can use for soups, chowders, etc. Usually a handful of parsley stems, a bay leaf, salt, a quartered onion, a clove of garlic, a chopped carrot, a chopped celery stalk, and (if i have it) half a bulb of chopped fennel. Just cool it, strain it, and freeze it[/Quote]
    sweet-t, Do you use fish with bones when you make your stock?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from grampy18. Show grampy18's posts

Fish Cakes

What has happened to the food board? I asked sweet-t a question and did not get a response. There is a difference between broth and stock. Stock uses bones. That is why I asked the question. Has the new format scared people away? Where is everyone?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnath. Show johnath's posts

Fish Cakes

[Quote]What has happened to the food board? I asked sweet-t a question and did not get a response. There is a difference between broth and stock. Stock uses bones. That is why I asked the question. Has the new format scared people away? Where is everyone?[/Quote]
    I just came back from a trip and thought I would catch up. grampy18 you are right. What happened?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from beach49. Show beach49's posts

Fish Cakes

My mom made the best fish cakes using catfish.
    catfish(poached)
    potato boiled and mashed
    salt,pepper, finely chopped onions
    crushed red pepper (only if you like)
    bread crumbs
    one egg to bind all together
    Make into patties dredge in flour and fry

I make these all the time and get rave reviews

Enjoy

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Fish Cakes

beach,  catfish sometimes have a certain odd taste.  That' s because they usually are farmed and live on the algae at the bottom of the tanks.  Try  to soak them in buttermilk  for about half an hour before using them - that  will get rid of that taste. 
    I have never used catfish for my fish cakes - btu I will definitely give them a try.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfpeppers. Show dfpeppers's posts

Fish Cakes

I was reared in stick and red clay of North Carolina (county farm boy) and had fish cake on a regular basic but my mother used can fish (salmon or mackerel), follow beach recipe without the potato. and cook in enough oil to come up half of the cake.; flip once the bottom is brown.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brawla. Show Brawla's posts

Fish Cakes

Holy Crap , I was a Giant Fish Cake for Halloween last year . I can't belive someone is discussing fish cakes those things are the balls .. I used to eat then w/ my eggs in the morning . nothing better for a Brawler like me , east some fishcakes and knock some Skulls . Brings me back ..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brawla. Show Brawla's posts

Fish Cakes

[Quote]My mom made the best fish cakes using catfish.
    catfish(poached)
    potato boiled and mashed
    salt,pepper, finely chopped onions
    crushed red pepper (only if you like)
    bread crumbs
    one egg to bind all together
    Make into patties dredge in flour and fry

I make these all the time and get rave reviews

Enjoy[/Quote]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brawla. Show Brawla's posts

Fish Cakes

What about Scrod ? Can I use Scrod?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from chefa1a. Show chefa1a's posts

Fish Cakes

Cooking Western Massachusetts Style
    by: Chris Albano

type="text/javascript"><!-- google_ad_client = "pub-2630580098714716"; google_ad_width = 250; google_ad_height = 250; google_ad_format = "250x250_as"; google_ad_type = "text_image"; google_ad_channel =""; google_color_border = "FFFFFF"; google_color_bg = "FFFFFF"; google_color_link = "000099"; google_color_text = "000000"; google_color_url = "000000"; //--> src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js" type="text/javascript"> > window.google_render_ad();

type="text/javascript"><!-- google_ad_client = "pub-2630580098714716"; google_ad_width = 250; google_ad_height = 250; google_ad_format = "250x250_as"; google_ad_type = "text_image"; google_ad_channel =""; google_color_border = "FFFFFF"; google_color_bg = "FFFFFF"; google_color_link = "000099"; google_color_text = "000000"; google_color_url = "000000"; //--> src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js" type="text/javascript"> > window.google_render_ad();

type="text/javascript"> addthis_pub = 'articlecity'; addthis_logo = 'http://www.articlecity.com/images/addthis.png'; addthis_logo_background = 'ffffff'; addthis_logo_color = '000000'; addthis_brand = 'ArticleCity.com'; addthis_options = 'email, favorites, delicious, digg, facebook, fark, furl, google, live, myweb, myspace, newsvine, reddit, slashdot, stumbleupon, technorati, twitter, more'; src="http://s7.addthis.com/js/152/addthis_widget.js" type="text/javascript">

Some of the Chefs in Western Massachusetts like to take native ingredients and recipes and give them their own signature

fish cakes
    * 1 lb. mixed fish, cut in large dice (salmon, swordfish, tuna)
    * 1 small rib celery, finely diced
    * 1/2 small green pepper, finely diced
    * 1/2 small red pepper, finely diced
    * 1/2 tsp. Old Bay seasoning
    * 1/2 cup bread crumbs
    * 1 tsp. mixed tarragon & chives, chopped
    * 1 cup white wine & 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
    * 1 egg
    * 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
    * 3/4 tsp. Tabasco sauce
    * 1/2 tsp. salt
    * 1/4 cup milk
    * flour & oil as needed for cooking

sweet & spicy aioli sauce
    * 4-5 cloves roasted garlic
    * 2 oz. rice wine vinegar
    * 1/4 cup Thai garlic chili sauce
    * 1/2 tsp. salt, plus additional to taste
    * 2 large egg yolks
    * 2 oz. granulated sugar
    * 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil

Place the chopped fish in a small sauce pan. Cover the fish with tap water, the cup of white wine and the 1/2 cup wine vinegar. Boil gently just until the fish is opaque (just barely cooked through and juicy).

Drain and place in a bowl with the diced vegetables, eggs, Dijon mustard, Tabasco sauce and seasonings, mashing the mixture together like a meatloaf or meatball mixture. Add the milk to the bread crumbs to moisten and incorporate into the fish mixture. Form this mixture into 8 "patties", in a similar manor as making a hamburger patty. Chill until ready to cook.

For the sweet & spicy aioli sauce: place the sugar and vinegar in a small pan and heat over high heat, just to melt the sugar. Pull off the heat and reserve. Place the garlic cloves, eggs, salt and chili sauce in a food processor and turn on the power.

Very slowly incorporate the oil, the sauce should take on a thick mayonnaise consistency once you have added all the oil. Now with the machine still running, add the vinegar mixture, then stop the machine. You have created an emulsion, and the key to a successful emulsion is in the slow addition of the oil, so the sauce doesn't separate. If it is too thick at this point you may incorporate a little water to thin it out. Check the seasoning, it should have a good balance of sweet, sour, spicy and salty flavors to really make your taste buds salivate.

Heat some vegetable oil, enough to cover the bottom of a large sauté pan, until it is very hot, almost smoking. Dip the fish cakes in a flour and then cook for 2-3 minutes on a medium heat, until nice and golden brown. Flip the fish cakes over and cook the other side until nicely golden browned also.

To serve, place the mixed baby greens on serving plates topped with a small amount of vinaigrette. Place the warm fish cakes on top, topping them off with aioli sauce. Enjoy!

Courtesy Chef Chris Albano

http://www.westernmachefs.com

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from chefa1a. Show chefa1a's posts

Fish Cakes

Asian Fish Cakes are more like a fish mousse

thai fish cakes they dice up little french green beans