How Eating Bread Can Improve Cardiovascular Health

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

How Eating Bread Can Improve Cardiovascular Health

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/11/121128093708.htm 

excerpt from the article: Moreover, this study shows the regular consumption of bread, a good source of carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals and fibre, what represents an increase in the consumption of carbohydrates is not related to an increase of body weight.

I believe it, or maybe I want to believe it!

I hope it is true, lol

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: How Eating Bread Can Improve Cardiovascular Health

Check out sprouted grains, Robin - you'll be even more pleasantly surprised about bread made with those.  I'm having a hard time finding any that's affordable, though...sigh.

But, as an acedotal addition to the thread, I've lost 14 lbs since Nov 11 by counting calories,  not following any diet, and bread, as everything else I wanted, was included.  I went from a tight 6 to a loose 2 during a time period that includes Thanksgiving, Christmas (I hosted two dinner parties and we attended a third), New Year's, and my birthday.  I've proven at least to myself that no particular food is the enemy, too many overall calories is.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Exactly, in the end it's pretty simple.

Eat less, move more.

PS: I like When Pigs Fly bread but it's rather pricey so I only get it once in a while.

Day old marble rye or pumpernickel is more likely to be found in my shopping cart.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

TJ's sells that brand, maybe cheaper than other places?  You could save money on bread if you want to spend about $100 on a breadmaker, and you can control the ingredients.  It takes awhile to pay for itself, but I can whip up a loaf in 5 minutes and have fresh bread in 3 hours.  I like the Panasonic - it has a yeast dispenser that s cks it in at the right time.  Get rye (or whatever) flour from amazon in bulk and store it in the freezer if you have room.  The machine has a delay feature so you can set it up to 13 hours before you'll want the bread done.

bon appetite. :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to kargiver's comment:

TJ's sells that brand, maybe cheaper than other places?  You could save money on bread if you want to spend about $100 on a breadmaker, and you can control the ingredients.  It takes awhile to pay for itself, but I can whip up a loaf in 5 minutes and have fresh bread in 3 hours.  I like the Panasonic - it has a yeast dispenser that s cks it in at the right time.  Get rye (or whatever) flour from amazon in bulk and store it in the freezer if you have room.  The machine has a delay feature so you can set it up to 13 hours before you'll want the bread done.

bon appetite. :)

Kargiver, you've given me an idea - what about gluten free bread?  Could you make something like that in a bread machine?  Son who is on gluten free diet has a birthday coming up in a couple of months.  What are you thioughts?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I haven't tried, tt, and I'm not sure.  I know that gluten is what gives bread it's chewy texture, but as we know, there are decent gluten free breads out there so it must be possible.  King Arthur makes a gluten free blend that made excellent brownies.  I'd google gluten free bread machine recipes.  I'd try a loaf, but I damaged my bread machine (my fault) and am about to replace it with the same model.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Googled and probably answered my own question.  Gluten free bread requires less mixing than regular.  Recommend a 2 paddle bread machine (upwards over $200 - out of the question)  Dough otherwise has to be mixed in mixer and then put into machine.  Cuisinart has one, on sale in Macy's for $129.  has glutin settings.

ETA:  Got tied up on a phone call - just got back to computer to finish and post lol 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Interesting, thanks for looking it up.  DH is experimenting with a gluten free, and as long as he's trying it out I'm game...just not game enough to spend upwards of $200 on a special bread maker.  While we're on the topic, though, I think that KA blend would be great for any non-yeast product like wowie cake, muffins, quick breads, etc.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'll mention KA to my son - I know he's been so disappointed in what he has tried up to now.  In their basket I had put some quinoa flour ( ? I think it was) - is that a gluten free substance?  I can answer my own question and google that too, just thinking out loud.  I know he thanked me for "all the goodies, even those I couldn't eat".  Wasn't sure if he was talking about the party spread, or some of the things I put in their basket.  Tried to be sensitive to his choice of food now, but I may have misunderstood what the guinoa products were.  Quick pick up at Marshall's, you know.  They, at least the one near me, have a wonderful delicacy of pkg'd and bottled things to try.  Great for gift baskets of any size or purpose.  Found a wonderful little pkg of 4 different mustards for G.T.'s.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Quinoa is a seed so I doubt it has gluten.  It's often misnamed as a grain.  I've seen it at health food stores for $$$ so I haven't tried it.  I'm reluctant to try "one note" gluten free flours because gluten is often a necessary part of whatever you're trying to do; I can't imagine something other than a blend of gluten free starches and such would account for the lack of gluten in a yummy way with good textures.  We really enjoyed the brownies I made with the KA and will keep buying it until DH figures out that gluten really doesn't bother him, after all.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, I meant I haven't tried quinoa flour...I love cooked quinoa as a whole carb side dish.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfilio. Show portfilio's posts

In response to Robin39's comment:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/11/121128093708.htm 

excerpt from the article: Moreover, this study shows the regular consumption of bread, a good source of carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals and fibre, what represents an increase in the consumption of carbohydrates is not related to an increase of body weight.

I believe it, or maybe I want to believe it!

I hope it is true, lol

Sorry - have to disagree.

I recently went on the gluten free diet, eliminated bread & pasta, and lost 17 pounds in about 6 to 7 weeks. This may not sound like much of a loss but I'm a little guy of middle age.  A bigger guy in similar circumstances would likely have lost 35 lbs or more. Evidently, I have had a gluten allergy all my life. My skin tone feels better and my problem with dandruff has ended.

Being originally from Brooklyn, NY my life long passion has always been pizza! Now I have to pass it up. ARGH!!    Hopefully, I'll  soon  find some gluten free pizza that has real taste.

One important thing to note: gluten free diet is NOT a weight loss program.  Only about 10-20% of people in it lose weight.  But since we do not eat any less food in such a program, the weight loss is likely to be a permanent one.

Wish me luck!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The study assumes a healthy tolerance to gluten.

congrats on figuring out your issue and doing something positive about it and getting great results.  Try making your own pizza dough.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfilio. Show portfilio's posts

In response to kargiver's comment:

The study assumes a healthy tolerance to gluten.

congrats on figuring out your issue and doing something positive about it and getting great results.  Try making your own pizza dough.

Thanx for your kind words - lovely avatar, by the way.

Just this week I ordered a food processor & mixer and expect delivery next  week.  As a self taught cook, there's nothing like home cooking to me.  Gluten free home made pizza, bread, and biscuits will be among my top priorities.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, it's my wedding bouquet!

my aunt is a chiropractor and nutritionist and deals a lot with patients who are having gluten issues.  She finds that often they are having problems with "over-glutenized" food, grains that have been modified to have greater yields.  That's why gluten issues are relatively new whereas humans have been thriving on grain in its original genetic state since the beginning of time.  In that vain, as you explore ways to cook healthfully at home (a passion of mine, as well) look into organic sprouted grains.  They are NOT gluten free, but are very low gluten and your body actually processes them as if they were vegetables, not grain.  My aunt is looking into sprouting her own and then grinding it herself, and it's not like she has tons of extra time and energy on her hands, lol.  For now, I'm ordering it from amazon, but it's pricey that way.  Just an idea you might not learn about from your MD...not sure if it would work for you.

speaking of appliances, I just ordered a Vitamix.  :)

have fun in the kitchen with your new goodies!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfilio. Show portfilio's posts

''chiropractor and nutritionist''

30 years ago I was told by a chiropractor/nutritionist that I had a wheat allergy.   Hate to say it but she was a New Yorker with an attitude and often talked down to people.  Needless to say I did not go into many sessions with her because I couldn't stand the way she treated me or anyone else.

Had she treated me better I would likely have believed her and stopped eating gluten products.  My health would certainly be a lot better today.

Oh well, better late than never.

Just got my large cooking contraption and eagerly look forward to more wholesome eating. I am one who firmly believe in wholesome living practices and am very glad to see so many people adopting this lifestyle nowadays.

Enjoy your Vitamix!    :)