lost recipes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from exvermonter. Show exvermonter's posts

lost recipes

Does anyone have the recipe for  the Fruit and Nut muffins that Jordan Marsh used to sell in their in-store bakery? They were the best! Thanks for your help.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

lost recipes

Does anyone have a recipe for those red potatoes that were served at Grassfield's in Andover for many years? As I recall they had a slight cinnamon, onion flavor to them and oh so good!

I'd also like some of those recipes from Bishop's in Lawrence if anyone has them.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Janice0316. Show Janice0316's posts

lost recipes

Many years ago (45+) there was a chatter that signed "fisherman's wife" she had the best banana bread recipe. A classic along with others. Anyone that still loves the classics out there...please reply and keep the fish swimming.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

lost recipes

I never read the recipe you are referring to but my mother-in-law made a banana bread recipe when she was alive that her family loved. She said a neighbor had given the recipe to her back in the 1920's...... as to where the original recipe came from .. I have no idea.

Hope this is what you were looking for.

1 cup sugar
    1/2 cup butter or margarine plus one additional tablespoonful.

2 eggs
    3 large, ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
    1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon of warm water 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    Pinch of salt
    Cream the butter or margarine in a bowl with the sugar until light and creamy in texture.
    Stir in well mashed bananas and beat to combine thoroughly.
    Beat in the eggs, one at a time, blending well after each addition.
    Sift the flour and salt into the mixture and stir to blend well.
    Dissolve the baking soda in the water and stir into the mixture, then stir in the baking powder.
    Pour the batter into a greased and floured loaf tin and bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until done, about 45 minutes.
    Let cool in the tin for a few minutes, but not more than 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Edie1l. Show Edie1l's posts

lost recipes

does anyone have the recipe for the Hingham Bay
    Club's Chicken D'Agostino?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lmaz. Show lmaz's posts

lost recipes

Does anyone have the recipe for spiedes that appeared at least 17 years ago in the Globe? It contained sherry as one of the marinade ingredients and I think the lamb needed to be marinated for about 2 days.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

lost recipes

Don't know if this is what you are looking for or not. My ex son-in-law's father would make this recipe and he called it his "sishka bob off a stick"
    it was made in a large pot or casserole style.

I don't know if he copied recipe from on line or if it was something his family had taught him.

Hope it's what you want.

For Marinade

Mix in a large bowl - about 3 1/2 lbs Meat

1/2 cup Olive Oil
    1/2 cup Red Wine Vinegar
    1/2 cup Medium Dry Sherry
    Juice of 2 Lemons
    3 heaping Teaspoons Ketchup
    1 Medium Onion, Chopped
    2 Tablespoons Parsley, Chopped
    2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
    1 Teaspoon Rosemary
    1 Teaspoon White Pepper
    1 Teaspoon Paprika
    1/2 Teaspoon Sage
    1/2 Teaspoon Chili Powder
    1 Tablespoon Salt
    Several Grinds of the Pepper Mill

Meat ,,,Lamb is what was used , You probably could use pork, beef chuck, in place of the lamb. Do NOT BUY LEAN MEATS!
    Figure 1/2 lb per person.

The Spiedie

Cut meat into 1" cubes and place in large bowl. Pour marinade over meat
    and mix to coat well. Cover and let marinate in refrigerator 8 hours or overnight.
    (3 hours if using chicken).
    Stir occasionally to coat well. Place the meat on skewers. Resist the urge to add vegetables.

At this point the meat can be threaded on sticks and cooked on grill. Meat should be no more than 5" from heat source. Turn a couple of times and brush with marinade. Cook 4 - 5 minutes, until crispy on the outside, but don't overcook! Split a long loaf of Italian Bread and cut into 6 inch lengths.
    Slide the meat off the skewer onto the bread.

He use to make this with an added can of beef broth to it and baked it in the oven in a casserole dish instead of grilling it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

lost recipes

Hi, sorry I haven't been in sooner ... I've been having trouble after eye surgery.

Regarding the temperature - I am not sure what he used but I would think (knowing is kitchen methods fairly well) it was 350 and that after 30 minutes or so he would check the meat to see if it was tender and cooked well enough to eat.

Happy Holidays!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MTKRED. Show MTKRED's posts

lost recipes

My mother and I have been looking for a brownie recipe that used to be on the back of the Baker's Chocolate boxes. I have not found the recipe on the boxes, nor have I found the recipe anywhere online. Does anyone have the Beacon Hill Brownie recipe? I remember that the recipe produced a very rich and fudgy brownie that was almost too thick to eat.

Thanks!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from STOWRD. Show STOWRD's posts

lost recipes

I am looking to find the recipe to the Gilchrist Almond Macaroons. I found one but it contains coconut and I don't remember that they contained coconut.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pocketbooks101. Show pocketbooks101's posts

lost recipes

[Quote]Does anyone have any recipes from Bishop's Restaurant that was, for years, in Lawrence and closed around 10 years ago? Shishkabobs? Salad dressing?[/Quote] No, but there is a restaurant in Salem, N.H. Called Phoenician... It was opened by the workers who worked at Bishops. Same food - same menu - same people - same waitresses - and of course the same salad dressing and famous 3lb. baked stuffed lobsters!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pocketbooks101. Show pocketbooks101's posts

lost recipes

If you google Phoenician Restaurant - there is info on the restaurant, their menu and a little history of Bishops/phoenician history. Enjoy

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

lost recipes

I was just reading the notes in here today and I remember way back in my childhood (I'm 69) my grandmother would go to
    Brocklelman's Market and also Moheagan Market in Lawrence to shop. She would get the most delicious cupcakes in the world from one of those stores (not sure which one) and I can still remember how wonderful the frosting tasted after all these years!

I'm sure nobody remembers those places or has the recipe for the frosting but how I wish they did!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrsrcs. Show mrsrcs's posts

lost recipes

Hi -

Does anyone have an old Fanny Farmer's recipe for Steamed Chocolate pudding with an orange hard sauce? I guess it's more of a Christmas time recipe, but I didn't have any luck finding it during the holidays. .

Thanks!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mayoie. Show mayoie's posts

lost recipes

My grandsons love the brown bread served at The Peddler's Daughter restaurant in Haverhill (also Nashua). Have tried a few receipes that don't compare. Would love to be able to make this for them (and myself) if anyone has the recipe for this I would truly appreciate it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Member81. Show Member81's posts

lost recipes

When I was a kid in the 60s my aunt took me to a resturant in NYC which was called the "farm resturant" it served no meat. They made a"meat loaf" which has vegtables running throughout and was a brown color and came with brown gravy. I have been searching for years. Does anyone have the recipe? Much abliged.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Member81. Show Member81's posts

lost recipes

I just found this group. I used to read a simular column in the Globe years ago and I have missed it so much!