OT - NutraSystem diet

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

OT - NutraSystem diet

[Quote]I
    ETA: My husband was always on what he considered to be a "healthy diet" and gained about 15 lbs every year. He's learned (from me) about portion control and just how many calories foods have. He underestimated by about 100%, really. And he really thought he was being healthy about his habits. Maybe you are not having success because what you think is healthy really isn't.[/Quote]

More veggies, less fat. Lost 5 pounds and then stopped losing. Hubby lost 20 pounds.

Metabolism for women is different than for men - and metabolism at 50 isn't what it used to be. (sigh...)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

OT - NutraSystem diet

I have a friend that used to work for Nutra System and he said it works for a lot of people.

My mom used to be really heavy, but she joined Weight Watchers 15 years ago and lost over 80 pounds. She still goes to the meetings, but now just once a month, or more if she's trying to lose a couple of holiday pounds. When people see pictures of her from 15 years ago they ask "Who is that?"

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

OT - NutraSystem diet

Hi AB, I was on the Nutri-system once, but I did not like their premaid food at all - so I didn't stay on for long. In the 4 weeks I was on it, I did lose 3 lbs.
    However, I got an idea on how to make my own meals (especially the size of the portions) and that is what I did after I stopped.
    If you believe in their system and think it can help you to loose weight - then go for it. Best of luck - Pingo

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

OT - NutraSystem diet

Has anyone tried NutraSystem? (Probably should have asked this before I signed up and gave them $$!)

I know several people who have lost using Jenny Craig, but didn't want to 'work with a counselor.' With NS - you can go it alone.

For you under 30's - I am in my early 50s and only want to lose 20 pounds. I walk to work. I already know a healthy diet is the best way - but I've BEEN on a healthy diet and can't lose. I need a 'jump start.'

Anyone try it?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from katie1980. Show katie1980's posts

OT - NutraSystem diet

Hi AuntBeth - someone I know used Nutrisystem and it really works :)

For exercise, walking is great - perhaps try biking? Or on the weekends speedwalk?

You could join a women's gym and have a personal trainer on the weekends, might help give you the kick start.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

OT - NutraSystem diet

Fitness is an issue. I work in an office, have a very long commute. I leave the house at 6:30 am and return at 7 pm leaving me just enough time to eat, watch tv for an hour and sleep. In the summer, I golf and kayak on the weekends. In the winter......ummm.....

I think the premade is a good fit for me precisely because of my schedule. I bring my lunch to work, I'm pretty much captive here.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

OT - NutraSystem diet

I haven't tried it, but anything calorie controlled will work if you stick to it.

I calorie-control my husband's food, basically creating a NutriSystem for him, and if he sticks to it he loses about a pound a week.

NutriSystem works because it's just a matter of physics. Calories consumed are less than calories burned. Can't help but work.

Good luck!

ETA: My husband was always on what he considered to be a "healthy diet" and gained about 15 lbs every year. He's learned (from me) about portion control and just how many calories foods have. He underestimated by about 100%, really. And he really thought he was being healthy about his habits. Maybe you are not having success because what you think is healthy really isn't.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Amarie978. Show Amarie978's posts

OT - NutraSystem diet

Maybe what you need is a physical kick start? I think if you incorporated more than walking, you might start to notice a difference.

Now, I swear I'm not a vendor in disguise or anything, but am I currently in a month long bootcamp for women type class in the Newton/Wellesley area and this class has women of all ages in it from 20s to 60s, definitely all fitness types and its actually real fun. In fact I've been wishing that gym class in school had been more like this because I'm actually learning how to work out correctly. If you're in that area, I'll post the link, otherwise, I would suggest checking out sometype of boot camp program, Curves, temporary personal training, even adult ed fitness classes in your town or at the local Y. Anything to get some cardio and strength training in your schedule. Plus, you'll just feel so much better.

As for the premade food diets? I personally don't buy into it, but I know they do work for some people. I was on WW online once for a bout a year and managed to take off about 20 pounds and maintain it, but I also took up running and strength training and that really helped boost my metabolism. I'm a picky eater so I didn't like most of the pre-made foods anyway.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

OT - NutraSystem diet

My DH and I are doing South Beach, he is doing great and has almost lost all the weight he wants (we only have 3 days left in phase 1) and I haven't lost much. I need to up my exercise though but I have been sick for the past two weeks so I haven't had the energy to exercise just stick to the meal plans. But the SB helps us with portion control which is one of the big things we need to re-learn. Since the recipes generally are servings for 4 we will divide them into 4 before we eat, and for phase two the same will apply but I will be more willing to move away from their recipe books so we have a food scale on the way to help us. We are hoping that after using the scale a lot it will make it easier to eyeball something and say yeah that is 4 oz, particularlly for meat.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

OT - NutraSystem diet

AB, be careful with NS. dont give them your credit info. DH inquired a few years back, and decided against it. his doctor wouldn't authorize NS for him because of his diabetes.

Well, about 2 weeks later his credit card company calls, and asks him if he authorized a $3K charge on this particular credit card for NS. He told them no, because his doctor wouldn't permit him to do NS due to his diabetes.

Not sure if you've seen the TV commericals for them recently. They now have fox reporter Jillian (Barberie) Reynolds pushing them. They show a "before" picture of her. The pic that is used in the commercial as a "before" pic is that of a very, very pregnant Jillian. She has had a baby within the past year. I've watched Jillian's reporting over the past 10 or so years, and she has NEVER had a weight issue, until after she got pregnant & delivered her daughter. Not sure if any doctor would recommend NS to a nursing mom.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

OT - NutraSystem diet

Congratulations Wendy! When you start on phase 2 you may gain a few pounds at first, but don't be discouraged - just stick to the diet and those pounds and some more will come off. But not as fast as on phase 1. Keep up the good work.

[Quote]My DH and I are doing South Beach, he is doing great and has almost lost all the weight he wants (we only have 3 days left in phase 1) and I haven't lost much. I need to up my exercise though but I have been sick for the past two weeks so I haven't had the energy to exercise just stick to the meal plans. But the SB helps us with portion control which is one of the big things we need to re-learn. Since the recipes generally are servings for 4 we will divide them into 4 before we eat, and for phase two the same will apply but I will be more willing to move away from their recipe books so we have a food scale on the way to help us. We are hoping that after using the scale a lot it will make it easier to eyeball something and say yeah that is 4 oz, particularlly for meat.[/Quote]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from springandsummer. Show springandsummer's posts

OT - NutraSystem diet

AB - I lost 30 pounds on NS - the food is a bit boring, but it is much more convenient.

I had to quit (doctor's orders) when my blood pressure skyrocketed. There is a lot of salt in the food. I never had BP problems before, now I'm on meds and struggling to keep it "healthy."

I call NS and they said their sodium is in a reasonable range (2000+ mg a day!!) and if I had called sooner, they would have taken back the food, I waited 45 days to return, so they declined the return. (sold it all on ebay, thank goodness!)

Long story short, we are in the same age range, so I suggest you check your BP and make sure it isn't a problem. I'm now on the Amer. Heart Asc. "DASH" diet - and lost 2 lbs this week. It is a pain to have to cook my own meals again though.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

OT - NutraSystem diet

Adjust your calorie consumption until you start losing 1/2 - 1 lb a week. It's truly a matter of physics. Burn has to be more than consumed regardless of how fast you are burning (metabolism).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

OT - NutraSystem diet

I sometimes think it would be great to put DH on the Nutrasystem for men because he would finally learn some portion control. The problem is that he's lactose intolerant so he can't eat half the stuff they send.

As for your last attempt - low fat diets never work because they taste awful and are very hard to maintain. I think you might enjoy the ease of Nutrasystem, but if you don't - try the one that worked for me:

As you know I'm in my 40's and I lost 18 pounds this summer eating low carb instead. I read the South Beach Diet and modified a bit to make it more to my taste (basically I didn't buy low-fat cheese 'cause I hate it). I enjoy a diet of lean protein, veggies (I put butter or olive oil on mine) and some complex carbs (sweet potatoes, whole wheat bread, brown rice). It's easy to follow and quite healthy. For exercise I walk two miles a day - only takes about 30 minutes. Now I get to gain it all back (!) but at least I'm starting from a better place. And the nutritionist was quite pleased with my healthy mix of protein, fruit/veggies and whole grain carbs!
    Best of luck - I salute anyone who makes any attempt at losing weight. :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

OT - NutraSystem diet

Laryan - thanks for the word. I will keep my receipts and make sure I'm not overcharged.

Ash - we all know WW is the best way to go. Real food, good habits. I just can't go for the meetings. (even on-line) I'm too gosh darn low on free time to give it up. One of the main reasons I went with NS. But you go girl!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

OT - NutraSystem diet

misslily, you mentioned the South Beach diet. My husband lost 8 lbs. in 2 weeks on that diet. I liked it, because I could basically eat the same things as he with a few extras - so I didn' t have to cook two meals. In 6 weeks he got everything off he wanted. I was not trying to loose, but did loose a few pounds. I think it is an easy and healthy diet.
    I am with you as far as the low fat stuff is concerned. I just can' t stand the low fat dressings for example. Same w/ low fat mayo. I rather have the real stuff, but use less. Works for me.
    Good luck w/ you ultra sounds. We are all so excited for you. - Pingo

[Quote]I sometimes think it would be great to put DH on the Nutrasystem for men because he would finally learn some portion control. The problem is that he's lactose intolerant so he can't eat half the stuff they send.

As for your last attempt - low fat diets never work because they taste awful and are very hard to maintain. I think you might enjoy the ease of Nutrasystem, but if you don't - try the one that worked for me:

As you know I'm in my 40's and I lost 18 pounds this summer eating low carb instead. I read the South Beach Diet and modified a bit to make it more to my taste (basically I didn't buy low-fat cheese 'cause I hate it). I enjoy a diet of lean protein, veggies (I put butter or olive oil on mine) and some complex carbs (sweet potatoes, whole wheat bread, brown rice). It's easy to follow and quite healthy. For exercise I walk two miles a day - only takes about 30 minutes. Now I get to gain it all back (!) but at least I'm starting from a better place. And the nutritionist was quite pleased with my healthy mix of protein, fruit/veggies and whole grain carbs!
    Best of luck - I salute anyone who makes any attempt at losing weight. :)[/Quote]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

OT - NutraSystem diet

Sodium does make you retain water, but it does not inhibit fat loss. If you lose 30 lbs of fat by burning more calories than you ingest, your water retention issues won't hold a candle to your success. Sodium isn't healthy, though, in any event.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

OT - NutraSystem diet

Since we're talking diets, I've been eating healthy and exercising for the past three weeks and have lost about 4+ lbs! Woo hoo! I just want to lose around 10 before the wedding in May, so I'm off to a good start. First fitting is in 4 weeks! I did Weight Watchers 5 years ago, so I basically try to follow the point system - which just means less junk, more veggies, smaller portions.

Good luck AB! I agree that it sounds like a good way to kick start the diet. It's just easier at first to stick to the packaged or frozen stuff, but then you can start experimenting with cooking healthy on your own.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ash. Show ash's posts

OT - NutraSystem diet

I am doing weight watchers. 2 weeks and 5 lbs down.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 91909Bride. Show 91909Bride's posts

OT - NutraSystem diet

The only thing I would worry about with the premade food is it sometimes contains high levels of sodium (like the lean cuisine meals), which will make you retain water and would be counter active to the weight loss!! But I think Pingo is right, once you are on it a couple weeks, and learn how to make the meals yourself, you will find it better to just make them then buy them!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

OT - NutraSystem diet

I lost 30 lbs and kept it off by calorie counting and exercise (not crazy, just 45 minute 3 times a week). If your body's energy need is higher than what you take in for food it must burn fat to survive no matter what your metabolism is. My hubby can eat 2500 calories a day and lose a lb a week. If I want to lose that same amount I can only eat 1300 calories a day. Unfair, but true.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

OT - NutraSystem diet

[Quote]AB - I lost 30 pounds on NS - the food is a bit boring, but it is much more convenient.

I had to quit (doctor's orders) when my blood pressure skyrocketed. There is a lot of salt in the food. I never had BP problems before, now I'm on meds and struggling to keep it "healthy."

I call NS and they said their sodium is in a reasonable range (2000+ mg a day!!) and if I had called sooner, they would have taken back the food, I waited 45 days to return, so they declined the return. (sold it all on ebay, thank goodness!)

Long story short, we are in the same age range, so I suggest you check your BP and make sure it isn't a problem. I'm now on the Amer. Heart Asc. "DASH" diet - and lost 2 lbs this week. It is a pain to have to cook my own meals again though.[/Quote]

Wow - great feedback. Thanks. And congratulations on losing over 30!!!

I have notoriously low blood pressure, so that is the least of my issues, but very good info nontheless. I was thinking they would have less sodium than the grocery store brands like lean cuisine. I guess not.

The other thing is I only plan to do this short term. One month to get the loss started and reprogram my habits. I do agree that 'real' food is way better.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Amarie978. Show Amarie978's posts

OT - NutraSystem diet

I hear ya on the long days - its not fun. But I will say this...do the nutrasystem thing for a month and see how you like it. If you're aren't that satisfied with the results, I would suggest trying to contact a personal trainer (not at a gym) that will work according to your needs. Maybe you can work with one for a couple sessions, once a week on the weekends, and they'd be able to show you how to make the most of 20 minutes a day during the week?

For example: say you meet with a trainer on Sunday for an hour. They do a workout with you and show you how to do different exercises properly. Then they give you a schedule of what to do during your 20 minutes each day, like Monday, do squats and leg lunges, Tuesday, do biceps and shoulders, etc. That way, you don't have to shell out a ton of money up front and you can see if its something that would work for you.

Do you have an office with a door at work? If so, take 20 minutes out of your lunch (or less!) and do something like a few upper body exercises with 3 or 5 pound weights. Or another good one is while you watch tv at night, tell yourself your going to run in place during the commercials or jumprope or jumping jacks. Just a little something different to jog your mind and body out of the everyday routine.

Good luck!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

OT - NutraSystem diet

Hi AB - just because I didn' t like Nutra System's food does not mean you will not like it. It was just too bland for me and everything tasted the same. I came to hate open the packages.
    However, If you are set to loose and you don' t mind their food, it may be the right thing for you. It is definitly an easy way to loose weight as everything is premade and measured.
    Maye I found it difficult at the time, because I stil had to cook for my family. If you are single - I think it may work. Again - good luck to you!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

OT - NutraSystem diet

Interesting AB. One of the reasons I stopped NS (besides I didn't like their food) was, that I had to check in every day - or at least every other day. It became just too much for me. Your post tells me, they have changed that. That is really great.

[Quote]Laryan - thanks for the word. I will keep my receipts and make sure I'm not overcharged.

Ash - we all know WW is the best way to go. Real food, good habits. I just can't go for the meetings. (even on-line) I'm too gosh darn low on free time to give it up. One of the main reasons I went with NS. But you go girl!!
    [/Quote]