What are your favorite local doughnut shops?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

What are your favorite local doughnut shops?

Sure, Boston is Dunkin' Donuts' domain. But when you want a really good doughnut, where do you turn? What mom-and-pop bakeries are serving up Boston's best unheralded sweets? Tell us your picks and check out our sweet 16!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: What are your favorite local doughnut shops?

Panara rocks!  I love their Bear Claw in particular, and the coffee is strong but not bitter or sour.  They could give lessons to Starbucks!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from janmacyy. Show janmacyy's posts

Kanes Doughnut's in Saugus, MA.  The best!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeginQ-town. Show MeginQ-town's posts

Donut King in Quincy on Copeland Street rocks. They have great coffee, amazing doughnuts and Lois is always happy to see you.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paullog. Show Paullog's posts

In Response to What are your favorite local doughnut shops?:
    [QUOTE]Sure, Boston is Dunkin Donuts domain. But when you want a really good doughnut, where do you turn? What mom-and-pop bakeries are serving up Boston's best unheralded sweets? Tell us your picks!
    Posted by BostonDotCom[/QUOTE]

HANDS DOWN Kane's donuts in Saugus!!!  From the atmospehere to the unbelievably delicious donuts.  Make sure you can handle the sugar high, these donuts are on steroids.  ENJOY!  AND get there early, they sell out.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NausetStateOfMind. Show NausetStateOfMind's posts

Top Donut
    , Lowell 

In the summer - 

Fleming's Donut Shack, N. Eastham

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from AnniefromFR. Show AnniefromFR's posts

My Place in New Bedford, MA for the best malassadas.  (Portuguese fried dough - not to be confused with fried dough from traveling fairs.)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from timmywagner23yahoocom. Show timmywagner23yahoocom's posts

"But when you want a really good doughnut, where do you turn?"

Or we could talk about Panera, bagels, cream cheese and bear claws...

Personally, I prefer Santarpio's pizza, american or german cars, the color blue and cuddling.  Aside from that, I hate clowns. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tigerIS. Show tigerIS's posts

Twin Donut in Winthrop.
    Only available on Sat and Sun.
    they are big heavy and yummy.
    Boston Cream made with real pastry cream.
    the jelly donuts explode with jelly....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from babydog18. Show babydog18's posts

Marty's Donuts, Ipswich MA.  Made fresh every day, muffins too.  If you get there real early, before the counter staff, you can go to the back, get coffee and donuts and pay on the honor system---a good old fashioned way of doing business. 
    There's a Dunkin Donuts in town too, but Marty's blows them away!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wsjevons. Show wsjevons's posts

Vera's in Cambridge are oldfashioned handmade awesomeness. Actuall honey dippeds, real chocolate, real pastry cream .. . mmmm, donuts.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from suecate. Show suecate's posts

kanes in saugus and mkt basket is a close second if you dont want to go out of your way

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mflam. Show mflam's posts

Olin's on Trapelo Road in Belmont. . . and I know it's not just a personal prejudice.  My work mates never stop bugging me to stop there.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hoodsie19. Show hoodsie19's posts

Heavnl'y Donuts in Methuen!!  Buttermilk dount is a must.  Yummmmmm!!-

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mundo-cani. Show mundo-cani's posts

Supreme in Brockton.  CRUSTY and perfect!  The plain, the jellystick, or, if you don't want to have to eat the rest of the day...the buttercrunch stick.  Nirvana

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bynxers. Show Bynxers's posts

Kanes... Duh....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from realrocket. Show realrocket's posts

7-11 has an incredible blueberry donut

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BethSch. Show BethSch's posts

The GE crowd in Lynn live on Kane's!  Thank you for keeping our coffee club happy! 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coopflyer. Show Coopflyer's posts

Wow, I am writing from SF where every donut store is called "Happy Donuts" and they usually aren't very good.  When I lived in Boston --uh over 30 years ago my boyfriend and I would drive to Waltham from Brighton to work.  We passed about 4 different donut shops every day and would change them up.  More often than not, regardless of the store, they would be hot out of the oven.  My boss used to always comment on how good I was at resisting pastries at work.  I couldn't tell him it was because I ate 3 on the way in. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sophie08. Show Sophie08's posts

I remember DD when all they sold were doughnuts and coffee. Sadly, the DD of today is a shell of what it use to be..My favorites as a child use to be Coconut, honey dipped and an incredible doughnut filled with apples and cinnamon. 

I can't eat commercial doughnuts because they are too heavy to digest but would pay a king's ransom for a light fluffy home made doughnut. hmmmmmmm!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lrob. Show lrob's posts

Donna's Donuts in Tewksbury
    Their Boston Kreme is awesome

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from chefdmc. Show chefdmc's posts

The best in New england.......

Marty’s makes big, hefty donuts. They include the Yankee classic, a “honey dew,” which is a simple raised, glazed sinker with a substantial sweet cake texture that is perfect for dunking, as well as a “honey dipped,” which is a airy raised round of which we easily eat half a dozen with a few of cups of coffee. Chocolate frosted donuts are weighty and crunch-skinned; and there are jelly-filled and powdered and coconut-spangled, too. Many regular customers come for big goopy coffee rolls. 

A simple storefront with scarcely any decoration other than a wonderful oil portrait of Marty hanging on the back wall, Marty’s has a counter where take-out dozens are sold and where customers sit and converse as life comes in and out. And there are counter seats in the front window that afford a view of passing traffic on Route 133. It is a true local hangout; one Cape Ann native told us that when he or his friends go on a ski trip, they stop by Marty’s long before the doors officially open to get boxes of hot donuts to go. Although the donuts are ready – and especially delicious while still hot! – the counter gals haven’t yet arrived, so the boys help themselves to what they need and leave their money on the counter. (Not a recommended strategy for out-of-towners!) 

As we hoisted ourselves to the register after a really satisfying Marty’s breakfast, we asked the cashier if she had a business card she could give us with the address, phone number, etc. of the establishment for our records. “This is Marty’s, hon’,” she informed us. “We don’t do business cards.”

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TriSec. Show TriSec's posts

Kane's. - Saugus, MA.

You had to ask?

Of course, all us natives knew about the place *before* it was on TV.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from callmegrandma. Show callmegrandma's posts

Donut King in Quincy...Big and always fresh...Honey dipped lemon sticks are D-licious...mmmm........also friendly happy people work there...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigBear67. Show BigBear67's posts

Kane's Donuts in Saugus
    Demet's Donuts in Medford
    Twin Donuts in Allston are good but they tend to make less of a variety.
    (Dunkin' Donuts doughnuts are sewage compared to hand cut donuts)