Where did Grampy go??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

Where did Grampy go??

This morning I responded to a post from Grampy trying to get some fun going in these forums. He's right - we could have a way better time if we got some more input.

I responded with a question maybe not fit for the level of chef Grampy is, but it means something to me - how do you get the punch in a meatloaf?

Where did the post go???????????

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Where did Grampy go??

Me too - I responded to him - and the next thing I knew - he was gone. A thread with a retired chef would be a wonderful addition to the Chat. As one who use my kitchen a lot, cooking almost all meals at home - it would have been such a great opportunity to ask questions. Maybe he got cold feet - hope he is not gone forever. - Pingo

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from grampy18. Show grampy18's posts

Where did Grampy go??

I could not find my post either You have to click on the subject. AuntBeth , Thanks for the compliment. I enjoy all levels of cooking. Sometimes meatloaf taste better than duck. It depends on the occasion. After I typed this I realized that you will not see it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Where did Grampy go??

I, too, responded this morning, asking Grampy about a recipe for pumpkin soup, but when I hit "submit" was told I would have to register for a screen name! Me?? I've been on these boards since the creation of time!

In the hopes this post does go through: I have committed myself to contributing pumpkin soup for a Thanksgiving dinner that will host 10-12. They took me right up on it and in fact, are going to either prepare real pumpkin bowls to serve it in, or buy ceramic ones - no backing out now!Never made one, have checked online and seen such a variety of recipes. I'm looking for something not spicey, and not too difficult. I don't have a food processer, but do have a blender. Want to be able to make it the day before and then reheat for the dinner. Can you help, Grampy?

tt

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from grampy18. Show grampy18's posts

Where did Grampy go??

AuntBeth, Some post got lost. I notified BDC. If nothing happens I will resend my meatloaf tomorrow.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

Where did Grampy go??

Thanks. In the meantime, I'm kind of looking forward to the pumpkin soup input too. Heck, 'tis the season, yes?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Where did Grampy go??

Well... I happen TO LOVE my meatloaf recipe so even though the post disappeared I will share. :-)

I don't really measure things so I'll just list the ingredients...

Combo of Veal, Pork and Beef (most groceries sell this combination packaged and it really makes a difference in the flavor/texture)

Peppers, Onions, Mushrooms, and Celery -- chopped and sauteed then cooled before mixing with the meat mixture.

Salt, Pepper, Garlic, Chopped Chipotle peppers in adobo, of course breadcrumbs. You can use eggs to bind everything but I never do. I haven't had any trouble.

Then for the sauce...I mix ketchup with Worcester Sauce, hot sauce and brown sugar and spread it over top (save some for after its cooked too)

I cook it in a loaf pan for about an hour to and hour 1/2, at I think 375.

Serve it with asparagus and mashed 'taters. YUM>

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from grampy18. Show grampy18's posts

Where did Grampy go??

toytrumpet, Do you want to use a pumpkin or are you going to use canned pumpkin? The reason I ask is because most pumpkins are grown for carving. You have to go to a place like Russo's in Watertown to get cooking pumpkins.
    To everybody else I have not gone away. I am a 1 finger typist and would rather wait to see if my meatloaf recipe comes back.
    Amschnittger, My meatloaf is a lot different. The beauty of cooking is that you use items that you like.
    Go to Food Network to get the basic idea. Then add or subtract to your taste.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Where did Grampy go??

[Quote]toytrumpet, Do you want to use a pumpkin or are you going to use canned pumpkin? The reason I ask is because most pumpkins are grown for carving. You have to go to a place like Russo's in Watertown to get cooking pumpkins.
    To everybody else I have not gone away. I am a 1 finger typist and would rather wait to see if my meatloaf recipe comes back.
    Amschnittger, My meatloaf is a lot different. The beauty of cooking is that you use items that you like.
    Go to Food Network to get the basic idea. Then add or subtract to your taste.
    [/Quote]

I happened to watch the food channel yesterday where Rachel Ray was making a pumpkin sauce, I think, for pasta. She spoke of pumpkin puree, which she said comes usually in cans next to the canned pumpkin for pie. I checked out Trader Joe's today, but didn't see any. I'll try Market Basket next. If I absolutely HAVE to, I'll bake my own sweet little pumpkins (I forget what they call them), roast and puree them. What do you add, both for thickening and flavor? AND, put a dollop of what on top - sour cream?

Thanks for any advice you can give me. I even checked out T.J.'s shelves to see if they had ready made pumpkin soup, but I guess squash soup is the closest to that that is sold. Since the hosts are now gungho for the idea of pumpkin, even to the point of readying pumpkin bowls, I really have to come through.

tt

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Where did Grampy go??

Hello all you pumpkin eaters - soup or otherwise. Canned pumpkin just cannot do it! I buy the smaller size, they call "sugar pumpkins" - then cut it in half, remove the seeds (keep them for roasting later on, if you like) bake the halves at about 350 until the meat is soft. Let it cool down, then scoop out the meat. Easy doing. I use it for everything pumpkin. Have never made soup. We are usually 25 plus, when I host TG, so soup is just too much a mess to serve for this many people. But I use it for my pies and my breads. If you have tried the real pumpkin once, you will NEVER use the canned stuff.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from grampy18. Show grampy18's posts

Where did Grampy go??

AuntBeth, Here it is again.
    Qty I each chopped fine
    cook onion, garlic(clove), celery, carrot, scallion in butter about 5 min Cover pan and cook 5 min more. stirring occasionally.
    Then add salt ,pepper, worcestershire and 1/2 cup of ketchup stir for 1 min let cool
    Combine 1 1/2lb ground chuck 3/4 ground pork 1 cup fresh bread crumbs 2 eggs and 1/2 cup parsely mix and add vegetables mix again.
    Shape into a loaf.
    Take sheet pan and put rack in it. cover with foil, punch some holes. Put loaf on rack back 350 about an hour 155F add ketchup on top and serve.
    Let me know if this makes sense. I talk better than I type.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from grampy18. Show grampy18's posts

Where did Grampy go??

toytrumpet, Imake one similiar to emeril's roasted pumpkin soup on food network.
    I leave out the pumpkin oil and sage at the end. You can save a lot of time and not mush difference in flavor by using canned pumpkin.
    If you make it the day before do not put in the cream. Do that when you reheat it.
    I also put 2 granny smith apples in with the pumpkin. It gives the soup a little different taste.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

Where did Grampy go??

Grampy - looks like the key to conistency letting the fat run out of the loaf.

That would give you more to work with if you wanted gravy too, I imagine.

I'll try it!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

Where did Grampy go??

[Quote]Well... I happen TO LOVE my meatloaf recipe so even though the post disappeared I will share. :-)

I don't really measure things so I'll just list the ingredients...

Combo of Veal, Pork and Beef (most groceries sell this combination packaged and it really makes a difference in the flavor/texture)

Peppers, Onions, Mushrooms, and Celery -- chopped and sauteed then cooled before mixing with the meat mixture.

Salt, Pepper, Garlic, Chopped Chipotle peppers in adobo, of course breadcrumbs. You can use eggs to bind everything but I never do. I haven't had any trouble.

Then for the sauce...I mix ketchup with Worcester Sauce, hot sauce and brown sugar and spread it over top (save some for after its cooked too)

I cook it in a loaf pan for about an hour to and hour 1/2, at I think 375.

Serve it with asparagus and mashed 'taters. YUM />[/Quote]

I was following along nodding until I got to chipotle peppers!! Ok - I get what gives your meatloaf its kick! and hot sauce in the sauce. Ok - I asked for kick - I'll give it a try!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Where did Grampy go??

[Quote]toytrumpet, Imake one similiar to emeril's roasted pumpkin soup on food network.
    I leave out the pumpkin oil and sage at the end. You can save a lot of time and not mush difference in flavor by using canned pumpkin.
    If you make it the day before do not put in the cream. Do that when you reheat it.
    I also put 2 granny smith apples in with the pumpkin. It gives the soup a little different taste.
    [/Quote]

Thanks, Grampy. I just copied it off. Since I'll probably be doubling the recipe, would you say that one can of pumpkin is equivalent to one 2lb. pumpkin - therefore I'd be using 2 cans?

I probably will go that route. If I had a food processer I might attempt the actual pumpkins, but my blender is not the greatest. This sounds good. I like the addition of apple in the soup, did you still add the carrots and celery?

tt

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Where did Grampy go??

tt, I know Grampy is a retired chef - and I do appreciate him and his recipes a lot. But if you have never tried the real thing, you should try it - I know you will be so pleased. All natural, no preservatives here. I know the cans are easy, but so is baking the real thing. When I do TG dinners, I usually do two or three sugar pumpkins at the time (they will usually fit one baking sheet) and freeze the leftovers in one or two cup portions. This way I have for my breads, muffins, pancakes and such for the rest of the year. Here is a link. I always use the baking option.

http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/Baking-with-Fresh-Pumpkin/Detail.aspx

Happy Thangsgiving and soup making. - Pingo

Grampy. I just copied it off. Since I'll probably be doubling the recipe, would you say that one can of pumpkin is equivalent to one 2lb. pumpkin - therefore I'd be using 2 cans?

I probably will go that route. If I had a food processer I might attempt the actual pumpkins, but my blender is not the greatest. This sounds good. I like the addition of apple in the soup, did you still add the carrots and celery?

tt[/Quote]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maggierep. Show maggierep's posts

Where did Grampy go??

Toytrumpet, R.Ray was talking about just plain pumpkin in a can, not the pre-mixed pumpkin pie filling. The stuff [one-pie or libbys] makes. BY THE WAY, THAT IS JUST PLAIN PUMPKIN, NO ADDITIVES. Sorry about the capitals. If you want to roast squash or pumpkin, rinse off the veg. then put in micro for abot 3 min. let cool. It is then very easy to cut. Put in a roasting pan lined with foil or without, add just enough water to go across the bottom of pan and roast in oven 325-375 for about 1 hr. When cool enough to handle just scoop out veg. with a spoon., and season.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Where did Grampy go??

Hey, Pingo and maggierep,

Are you trying to shame me into using the real thing??!! I don't know. I'm afraid my blender won't puree it enough as it should be for the soup.
    tt

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Where did Grampy go??

[Quote]

I was following along nodding until I got to chipotle peppers!! Ok - I get what gives your meatloaf its kick! and hot sauce in the sauce. Ok - I asked for kick - I'll give it a try!!
    [/Quote]

AB, I also put chipotle peppers in my flourless chocolate cake. IT IS FANTASTIC. I'm a little bit addicted to the thrill of hot food. You can use a small amount just for some smoky flavor -- let me know how you like it. :-)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from maggierep. Show maggierep's posts

Where did Grampy go??

Toytrumpet, no I'm not trying to shame you into roasting your own pumpkin or squash. I really like using canned for convenience. I like the way it tastes in many many recipes. I was just letting you know about an easy way to cook squash or pumpkin. I have a hard time cutting and peeling, so any help is appreciated. I bought one of those immersion blenders that you put into the pot to blend but I haven't used it yet. I usually just ladle out of the pot into the blender a little at a time. Anyway, good luck.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from grampy18. Show grampy18's posts

Where did Grampy go??

I have had trouble getting in. Pingo is right when she says you cannot beat the real thing. Real canned pumpkin is not that bad if you do not have the time or a store that sells cooking pumpkins near you.
    The immersion blender is great for thickening soups. I would use a blender to puree.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Where did Grampy go??

Hi maggierep,

I tried posting twice earlier and apparently neither went through. I'll try once more only.

I'm only ragging on Pingo, mostly. She and I are friends and she is a much more advanced cook than I. I would love to be her neighbor and the recipient of her leftovers and "try this and see what you think" taste tests.

Your post did bring up another problem tho. I, too, have a hard time cutting squash or similar varieties of veggies. I don't have a microwave, and am wondering about being able to slice through the pumpkin in preparation to putting it in the oven. I actually did a little grocery shopping this morning but didn't think to look in Stop and Shop for what they had for canned pumpkin. Next week I'll go to Market Basket and check out both their supply of canned pumpkin and also look at what they have in small sweet pumpkins to see if I think I can handle them.

I do appreciate your responses and suggestions.

Happy Halloween,

tt

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Where did Grampy go??

Hey tt, me shaming you ?? Never!
    You really do not need much of a blender, the pumpkin get VERY soft after baking. Just bake it long enough. Depending on the size of the pumpkin - it will usually take an hour.
    When you make your soup, you will have to blend it in batches anyways.
    But if you are worried right now to make your soup for this many people, you do have my blessing to use the canned stuff.
    But you who bake so much, should really try to find a sugar pumpkin and bake it. You will like it. You can then use for muffins, bisquits and a lot of other things. It freezes real well.

[Quote]

Hey, Pingo and maggierep,

Are you trying to shame me into using the real thing??!! I don't know. I'm afraid my blender won't puree it enough as it should be for the soup.

tt

[/Quote]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Where did Grampy go??

Well, the dye's been cast - it will be canned pumpkin for the soup. Was in M.B. with DIL yesterday and there on an end display were large cans of "pure pumpkin". Seemed to be an omen to me, so I bought 3. There will be 10 of us, so maybe 2 1/2 cans of the 29 oz. cans?

Thank you for all the input. I'll use Emeril's recipe, but with canned pumpkin.

tt

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from grampy18. Show grampy18's posts

Where did Grampy go??

toytrumpet, If you are going to make the chix broth try straining it thru a wet paper towel. This will make it clear and reduce a lot of the fat.