Fudge

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Fudge

Hi all!

I am looking for some fudge recipes.  I want to make some for Thanksgiving and Christmas.  I have never made it before, so really detailed recipes would be great.

Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Fudge

dkb, when I'm looking for a new recipe I go to www.foodnetwork.com. I search "Recipes" (the default is Whole Site) and then sort the results on "Rating."  I pick a 5 star recipe that has ingredients I think will work well.  Word to the wise, read the comments others make.  Sometimes they rate a recipe 5 stars but they ALTERED it to make it a 5 star result.  For instance, I found a 5 star raspberry pie recipe, but EVERYONE omitted the water it called for.  So, I did, too.  If I hadn't read the comments, I'd have added the water, of course.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

No recipe can beat the one on the Marshmallow Fluff jar.

It is so easy AND foolproof!  Have fun! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Mm, cos, I'd forgotten about that.  That's a good one.  Yes, fudge can come out grainey instead of creamy/smooth; some recipes are trickier than others.

However, if it were me, I'd want something a little fancier (but just as easy) for a Christmas party or for gifts.  I did that search I described on the Food Network's site.  If I were making fudge, I'd try this one.  Rich, dark chocolate and 27 5 star reviews.  As usual, though, the comments give GREAT suggestions and invaluable insight.

Dark Chocolate Pistachio Fudge

Or this one from Paula Deen that is also a 5 star but with 112 reviews!!!:

Peanut Butter Fudge

If you are making it for guests, I'd do a practice batch.  My second go around with a new recipe is almost always better than my first try.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

My personal feeling is that any fudge recipe made without corn syrup needs to be made at least 5 times before you plan to give any away.  8 times if butter and brown sugar are key ingredients.   Yum  :)

I do not like Paula Dean's regular chocolate Fudge recipe (or this one) because it is only lightly warmed, never heated and cooked to soft ball stage.  It is a frosting so thick with confectioner's sugar that it hardens, not a candy. 

Stirred together fat and sugar that has not been transformed into something different by cooking.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

what happened to waggie's post?  can anyone see it?  I see her name on the page above this, but nothing here...

ETA:  When I posted this, hers appeared above.  Oh, no, are we back to having to post a "." to see the latest???

P.S.  I figure a recipe that is rated 5 stars by 112 reviewers is probably a well-liked one and one that is likely to please.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Lots of people like frosting, and truthfully, so many people use bad instant mixes for things that they do not know what the original should be like.
         One day this summer my Dad embarrassed himself by spitting coffee all over his desk with patients sitting across from him!  One of the few hot days, and he was dragging.  He asked his office dogsbody to take the chilled brewed coffee in the fridge, add cold milk and a tsp of sugar - coffeemilk he drinks like chocolate milk.  So she added 1 CUP  Cremora powder to 1 Cup Cold coffee.  He would wince at 1 tsp of Cremora, hates it. 

When he complained later she mixed a quarter cup coffee and a quarter cup Cremora, said - what?  tastes fine to me!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Kar I pulled the post immediately to edit when it was flashing by to post and I realized that my shift key was sticking for 3-4 letters after each use.   Sorry,   WhatawagSBNy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ew, Cremora.  Yes, I'm aware people don't always prefer quality, but 112 5 stars says people like it whatever it is.

Glad we aren't having problems with the boards, again.  I guess I'm just paranoid!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

You ever know a crowd that did not like frosting?

It's just they don't know, that good stuff- for frosting - is not fudge, which is a cooked candy.

A cup of cremora, I don't think that you need embalming .

Speaking of filling blood vessels with stuff other than blood -
    has Paula Dean ever prepared a food that is not truly overloaded with grease or sugar? It would not surprise me to see her coat a pork loin roast with grease in the name of crisping up the exterior!

My mother's girlfriend lived round the corner from Julia Child's Irving Street in Cambridge home, late seventies, early eighties,  and was  totally shocked when JC came to dinner after meeting another roommate at a store, discussing some ingredient prepared just so for a recipe.
         Mrs. Child's told this great story about a young fan at a book signing who offered her advice on a time saving tip for French Onion Soup.  She said you could cut the time consuming step of Carmelizing the onions by slowly sauteeing them , if you instead stirred sugar in the soup to add sweetness and dumped in some kitchen bouquet brown coloring -  "and it tastes just the same!"  So much for Masterpieces of French Cooking! 

Anyone but me love vinegar candy? (a butter sugar toffee made with yes - vinegar.)   I get to craving it by late Dec., I think a reaction to all of the sweets people serve.

My hubby found one of my recipe file boxes, chewed, behind the back shed, with index cards strewn about (and rained on.)
    I have a feeling there was an accumulation of nice smelling food drips and smells from the cards handled and put on the counter while cooking.  Mostly desserts, puddings, and candies.    

I have to recopy some from family and find again  many from lots of sources.  At least 40 were from showers, or old neighbors, hard to know where to get replacements.
          First thing I have lost to chewing in years.  Usually they do in DH stuff, my personal stuff gets left alone.
          But with food, that is different.  I have lost a roast and a whole cooked ham that were on top of 6 ft refrigerators, and now use a large non-functioning microwave as a "bread box"  for cooked things left out.  But recipe cards?    Grrr

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Glad I checked back!  I actually just read today that the fudge recipe on the Marshmallow Fluff jar is good.  I think I am going to try several between now and Christmas. 

I tried the recipe on Hershey's website that Lucy gave me.  It was made using cocoa.  It is delicious but it never fully hardened, so I had to put it in the freezer.

Hopefully I will have some success by Thursday.  Thanks for all of the suggestions!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

By the way, I believe if cooked fudge doesn't harden it didn't reach the necessary temperature for long enough.  Freezing it will only temporarily harden it; once it warms up it will be too soft again so keep it cold!  :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

In Response to Re: Fudge:
    [QUOTE]By the way, I believe if cooked fudge doesn't harden it didn't reach the necessary temperature for long enough.  Freezing it will only temporarily harden it; once it warms up it will be too soft again so keep it cold!  :)
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

I know, I just keep it in there, and only take it out to eat a piece.  I figured it was because it didn't reach the necessary temp.  I didn't have a candy thermometer, so the directions said to drop a bit in a cold glass of water and if it turns into a ball, it has reached a high enough temperature.  It wasn't a helpful alternative :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from musicsmysoul. Show musicsmysoul's posts

Kargiver,

I tried the pb fudge and it was to die for!! I think I ate the entire batch myself. haha. Thanks for the link.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Kargiver, I tried the pb fudge and it was to die for!! I think I ate the entire batch myself. haha. Thanks for the link.
    Posted by musicsmysoul[/QUOTE]

Yay! Glad you found it worth making!!  I have never gone wrong with a 5 star recipe from the Food Network.  I go there first for anything new I want to try.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_2865212. Show user_2865212's posts

I really prefer my fudge grainy so does anyone have some tips on how to get it to turn out that way? All the recipes I come across are going for creamy.
    Thanks

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

BFF, use a recipe that requires boiling.  Once it comes to a boil, keep stirring (which is discouraged for creamy fudge) until it reaches soft ball temperature (140) because stirring will encourage the crystalization you want. (You NEED a candy thermometer as dkb found out!)  Also, stir the fudge while it's cooling; this also encourages crystalization of the sugar.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Start with real sugars, milk or water , and butter -  no corn syrup, no oils substituted for butter.  Also avoid using fluff or other things with added emulsifiers which are intended to prevent crystallization.   Extracts, flavorings, things like maple syrup or rum which crystallize easily are fine, as is peanut butter if no more than about 1/3 cup for 2-3 cups sugars.

As Kargiver says, cook to softball on a candy thermometer - what, 235 or 236- temp and stir fairly often.

Also, when possible, pour immediately into a  large mixing bowl or a bowl you can use a hand mixer in - and mix on medium (if a small hand mixer) or about 3 of 10-12 on a stand mixer  for at least 1 and preferably 2 minutes.  This allows crystallization as it is cooling from the air beaten in.  You should notice a sudden change to a glossier look.  Gives smooth textured (no lumps) light (air whipped in)   grainy texture.
         Pour immediately into a buttered pan - no spray stuff or oils. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Obbieite. Show Obbieite's posts

Here's a recipe for fudge from "The Boston Globe Cookbook for Brides".  I remember making this years ago when my children were small.  Hope this is helpful.

Mrs. Eisenhower's Million Dollar Fudge

2 cups (12-oz package) chocolate bits
    3 (4 oz) packages sweet cooking chocolate
    1 (8 oz) jar marshmallow cream
    2 cups broken walnuts
    4 1/2 cups sugar
    pinch of salt
    2 TBSP butter or margarine
    1 tall can evaporated milk

Combine chocolatge, marshmallow and nuts in a large bowl.  Put sugar, salt, butter and evaporated milk in large saucepan and boil six minutes, stirring often.  Pout at once over chocolate mixture in bowl and stir until chocolate is melted and mixture is creamy.  Pour into buttered shallow dish.  Let stand a few hours to set.  Cut into squares and store tightly covered.

Dotta Dee

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

[QUOTE]I really prefer my fudge grainy so does anyone have some tips on how to get it to turn out that way? All the recipes I come across are going for creamy. Thanks
    Posted by BFF66[/QUOTE]

BF66, I prefer grainy fudge too.  Thought I was the only one.  I'll share with you a recipe given to me hundreds of years ago when I got my first job.  Have made a batch and frozen it for Christmas this year, and am anxious to see everyone's reaction, since most are used to the smooth (yucky to me) fudge.

4 cups sugar
    2 squares unsweetened baking chocolate
    1 can evaporated milk
    1 dollop of marshmallow fluff
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    2 tablespoons butter
    nuts, if desired

Combine first 3 ingredients in a deep saucepan and stirring constantly, bring to a "soft ball" (234 degrees on candy thermometer).  Be patient, this takes a long time for it to finally reach 234.
    Remove from heat and add 2 tablespoons of butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla, nuts, and 1 dollop of marshmallow fluff.
    Set pan in the sink that has about 1 inch of cold water in it, and beat by hand with wooden spoon until fudge just starts to lose it's gloss.  Again, be patient, this takes longer than you remember each time.
    As soon as you feel it thicken and see it start to lose it's gloss, quickly pour into a buttered 8 inch pan/dish.
    Cut when cool.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rirlo01. Show Rirlo01's posts

I tried the pb fudge and the Fluff recipe.  Both were big hits at my work holiday party yesterday.  Thanks!