Healthy Banana Bread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Healthy Banana Bread

Hi, all!  DH is in the New Year's Resolution folks trying to get healthier in 2010.  But, he has a sweet tooth and loves dessert.  He's a banana fan, and I knew quick breads are very tolerant to messing with the recipe so I tried a few things.  This works great!  He LOVES it - the taste and texture are very appealing...get it? ;)  It's reduced sugar, reduced fat, and increased fiber with whole grains.

Preheat to 350, lightly butter standard loaf pan

3 very to over ripe bananas
    3 egg whites
    1/2 cup fat free plain yogurt
    1 1/2 tsp vanilla
    5 Tbl butter  (I've seen recipes call for 12!!!), room temperature
    1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
    1/2 cup sugar or for no added sugar, 1/2 tsp stevia*
    1 tsp baking soda
    3/4 tsp baking powder
    1 cup roasted walnuts

In electric mixer, whip dry ingredients to fluff aerate and mix.  Whip in butter about 30 seconds.  In medium bowl, mash bananas and mix wet ingredients.  Fold in nuts. 

Bake 1 hour or until golden and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Let cool 10 minutes in pan so it doesn't stick and break all apart.  Then, turn out on wire rack to finish cooling.

*stevia is an all natural sweetener recommended by my aunt's chiropractic office.  It has no digestive or other side effects and no yucky aftertaste (IMO).  1/2 tsp = 1 cup of sugar so the bread is sweeter if you use the stevia than if you use the 1/2 cup of sugar.  I only put 1/2 c sugar in the other version to cut back on sugar, not because it's as sweet as I like it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: Healthy Banana Bread

Kar,
    This sounds like something I would try. My family loves banana bread, and I like to use up overripe bananas. Thanks!
    Two things I am curious about. All whole wheat? You usually have to use a mixture of all purpose and whole wheat flour. Is it more bread like than cake like? Also, if 1/2 teasp. Stevia is equal to one cup of sugar, why can't one just use 1/4 teasp. ?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

All whole wheat works if you whip it first in the mixer.  The texture is like that of any quick bread made with all purpose flour I've ever had.  Not too dense, not too light.

Yes, you can use 1/4 tsp of the stevia to equal that of the added sugar version.  But, I like it sweeter than that.  I'm not adding a cup of sugar because of the health issue, but I would from a taste perspective.  So, when I use the stevia I use the equivalent sweetness to using a whole cup of sugar.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Aha! Nice trick - will try that. Have some over ripe bananas, I was going to discard. Now I will put them to use. Thanks, Kar.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

YAY!!  Please let me know what you think of it, will you?

Blessings,
    ~kar

P.S.  Even a cup of sugar is less than most banana breads, so 1/2 cup of sugar is really not sweet enough IMO.  I vastly prefer the 1/2 tsp of stevia version.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Did you try it?  I've been buying too many bananas on purpose and now I have enough for 2 loaves by accident.  Maybe I'll make a double batch and freeze one.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Sorry Kar, I haven't had the time to get back to you.
    Yes, I did make your Banana Bread following your recipe to the "T". I used the Stevia version.
    For us it was a too sweet and the whole wheat flour made it too "heavy" (for us at least) - more bread like. But I used the pure ground whole wheat flour. The same I use for making my Indian Chapatti. I know, one can buy lighter whole wheat flour. That said, it was gone in no time.
    I will make it again though, since - except for the sweetness, the taste was great. And I do like the healthier version. But I think, I will mix in some all purpose and I will use regular sugar, but less. I also think that real sugar will lighten it up.
    Banana bread freezes well. So go ahead and make as many as you want.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Glad you tried it and have a plan to tailor it to your taste!  Happy the first one didn't go to waste, anyway.  Please be sure to update me with the results of the second batch, OK?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OldManRiver. Show OldManRiver's posts

Hi Kargiver,

I am not sure if Pingo thought it was too sweet because of the Stevia or the bananas were too ripe.

My wife makes a very similar Banana Nut Bread,  I don't necessarily feel that the whole wheat makes it too heavy, it probably depends on the brand you use. I personally like the whole wheat because for me it gives more of an earthy home made flavor.

Old Man River

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots6thman. Show patriots6thman's posts

River, your wifes Banana Nut Bread looks so good! If anyone ever has ripe bananas lying around, Banana bread is the perfect solution to using them up!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, OMR, I LOVE the idea of putting the walnuts on TOP!  What a great idea.

Yes, a lot can influence the sweetness of the bread.  I have to admit, I actually use organic whole spelt flour, not whole wheat, but I can't imagine it would make much of a difference texture wise.  I make spelt bread in the breadmaker, and one would totally assume it's whole wheat. 

patriots, amen to that.  I always wanted to use up the bananas that way, but traditional recipes are so loaded with fat, sugar, and refined white flour that I didn't want that in the house every time we had extra bananas!  I figured others might be in the same boat so I hope everyone likes this at least enough to tweak it a little to your taste.

Since I posted the original, I modified it again.  I added a 4th banana, 1/2 cup of apple sauce, and only used 3 Tbl of butter.  It was a masterpiece according to my DH (and our tastes, of course).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots6thman. Show patriots6thman's posts

Thank you for this wonderful recipe! :) Will be sure to use it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jolers. Show Jolers's posts

Hi guys,

I love your banana bread recipe. I normally use this one because the honey means you need to add less sugar: http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/441214/Banana-and-honey-loaf - I usually add in 1/2 tsp of cinnamon or mixed spice. Also you can put your over-ripe bananas in the freezer until you need to use them. Don't peel, just pop them straight in. Also excellent for a frozen banana smoothie. Enjoy!