OT - Healthy Dinner Recipes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

lucy, I always thought there was something different about Greek yogurt besides the whey content, but I still don't know what it may be. I'll have to buy some next time. Anyway, if you usually do sub fat free yogurt for sour cream, definitely try straining it. It doesn't change the flavor, just the wetness, and it's no big deal to plop a bunch in a strainer and leave it in the fridge overnight.

That's an extremely healthy tip to cut the sugar in half! (Make sure you don't do it in a yeast recipe, though; the yeast needs a certain amount of sugar to make the dough rise.) And, I'd forgotten about the apple sauce thing - that works, too, especially in muffins.

So much fun! Fram, love the thread!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from circles82. Show circles82's posts

This might be a little OT even for an OT subject, but I just learned this today: "Pour prickly pear juice or nectar into ice cube tray and freeze. Pop a couple of magenta ice cubes into a glass of water or 2 to 4 t. nectar into a 16 oz. bottle of water. The chromium and vanadium help keep appetite suppressed while the potassium and minerals keep electrolytes balanced."
    I already love prickly pear anything (particularly in ice cream or margaritas) but had no idea it could be so helpful as part of a healthy eating plan.
    I might add that this is prickly pear juice from the fruit, not the pads. (In their own right, the pads are a great alternate vegetable and taste somewhat like fresh peas.) While I know you likely cannot get the nectar locally, I have ordered it from Amazon in the past.
    Ok, I officially need to get more sleep! TTFN

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brighton1. Show Brighton1's posts

kargiver, have you ever had Greek yogurt? It's already strained. Might save you some work! :-)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Hapyy to share, it's an awesome guilt-free snack. I'm a big salt craver. :)

[Quote][Quote]

Zucchini chips:
    cut a large zucchini and cut into 1/4 inch slices, spray a roasting rack with cooking spray, arrange on roastng rack, sprinkle with salt, pepper, and a little parmesean cheese. Bake in a 350 degree oven until crispy.

[/Quote]

Mmm, how good does that sound?! And easy, too! Thanks, pink.[/Quote]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheLongestTime. Show TheLongestTime's posts

I love the cherry or strawberry Face yougurt! I actually eat it (instead of ice cream or another dessert) after dinner sometimes.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

[Quote]

amschnittger, do you brush it with mustard after you cook it?[/Quote]

No..sorry! So what I've done that is REALLY good is salt and pepper, then brush it with a dijon mustard. Then get a mix of herbs together - anything you like would work; I really like dill and parsley with some lemon zest. Dip the tilapia into the herb mixture and you can either pan fry it w/ a little olive oil or bake it. Same recipe is great for salmon. and it is flexible you can use whatever kind of herbs you really like.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from katie1980. Show katie1980's posts

someone mentioned the Hungry Girl cook book - I have it, it is really neat! Lots of neat and helpful tid-bits.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Just wanted to emphasize that even with the reduced calorie cheese, milk, and no panko topping, the mac and cheese recipe is not particularly low calorie or terribly healthy.

However, it's a lot better for you than regular baked mac and cheese, and if you have a hankering for it you'll be way better off to make this version - you won't miss that fat or the topping. (Actually, I made it with the topping once, and I thought it interfered with the creamy texture I love about the dish.)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

Well that sucked, I posted and then it said I didn't have anything in the post.

I would recommend the SB quick and easy cook book even if you are not doing SB because it has some really yummy recipes and they have a whole section on vegitarian main dishes and a bunch of side dishes as well. If you are unsure about it, check it out of the library to give it a test drive. I made a comment to my DH yesterday about how well used it is since it is covered with a drop of this or drop of that, since I am a messy cook.

We are both meat eaters and have done several of the vegetarian main dishes and were quite pleased with them. Good luck.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[Quote]kargiver, have you ever had Greek yogurt? It's already strained. Might save you some work! :-)[/Quote]

I have to say - I routinely substitute fat-free yogurt in any receipe that calls for sour cream. However, when I substituted the Greek yogurt - it came out really weird. Maybe it's because I was baking instead of cooking?

Another tip that works well is to substiute apple sauce for vegetable oil. Works well in waffles, coffee cakes, etc. You can also substitute applesauce for butter, but the proportions are a little different - I'm not sure I would recommend it, unless you don't mind the end result tasting a little apple-y. :)

Oh, but good call on the Eddy's Slow-Churned - it actually has less fat and calories than the low-fat, low-cal variety.

ETA: By the way, I don't know how helpful this is as far as "healthy" recipes go, but, in baking, you can almost always cut the amount of sugar in the recipe in half. I do it all the time.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Here's a happy healthy tip - butter, in moderation, of course, is healthy for you. It has a decent amount of Vitamin K, and not too many foods do. Yes, it has cholesterol, and yes it adds calories, but not a lot, really, of either...unless you eat it like Paula Dean by the stick!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brighton1. Show Brighton1's posts

It comes in fat free, 2% and whole milk. The whole milk one is delicious, but totally fattening. I get the 2% Face brand with fruit for breakfast. I think it's a good sour cream substitute, but it might be too thin for cream cheese.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Who's better than you guys!? These are great.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Hello ladies,

Would you like to share some super healthy dinner recipes? I've been on a diet for a few weeks now and I feel more and more like experimenting. I like to cook without meat when possible, since I usually have some at lunch, but I'm open to anything!

Recently, I sauteed some mushrooms and spinach and combined them with 2 eggs, 4 egg whites, feta cheese, and tomatoes. Baked it in the oven. It could use some tweakying to add more flavor, but it was pretty good! Almost like a diet quiche. For those of you familiar with Weight Watchers, it was only around 2 points for a quarter of the dish.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from katie1980. Show katie1980's posts

My mom is visiting and made this good soup last night from Weight Watchers- it is only 2 pts (which to me translates as good). It is yummy and you have left over’s for lunch and dinner again J

(my mom uses rice noodles as she has gluten allergies, it was yummy)

Lasagna Soup = 2 pts. per cup =makes 10 cups

1 lb. lean ground beef

1/2 onion chopped

1 pkg. lasagna dinner mix (hamburger helper)

5 cups water

1 (28 oz.) can of petite diced tomatoes undrained

1 (11oz) can of whole corn undrained

2 TBSP Grated Parmesan Cheese

2 Small zucchini, chopped

6 Whole Wheat Lasagna noodles broken in pieces

In a large saucepan, cook beef and onions. Drain. Then add lasagna mix, water, tomatoes, corn and parmesan cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally. Then add zucchini and whole wheat lasagna noodles. Cover and simmer about 10 more minutes or until noodles are tender.

Have not tried these 2, but aunt says is good

Caramel Apple Salad

4 apples chopped

1 8oz. can crushed pineapple

1 8oz. tub FF cool whip

1 pkg. Sugar free/ Fat free butterscotch pudding

Mix everything together in a bowl and enjoy.

Crockpot Chicken and Potatoes

Makes 5 cups/ 1 serving = 1 cup = 5 pts.

20 oz. potatoes peeled and cubed

1/2 pkg. dry ranch dressing

1 lb.boneless skinless chicken breast cubed

1 can FF cream of chicken soup

1/4 cup FF sour cream

1/4 onion finely chopped

salt and pepper to taste

Spray crockpot with pam and throw in all of ingredients. Mix. Cook on low for 6-8 hours

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheLongestTime. Show TheLongestTime's posts

A friend just passed this one along to me a few weeks ago. It is an Ellie Krieger recipe.

Baked Shrimp with Tomatoes and Feta

1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 medium onion, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
    2 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
    Two 14.5-ounce cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes, with their juices
    1/4 cup finely minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
    1 tablespoon finely minced fresh dill
    1 1/4 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
    1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
    2/3 cup crumbled feta cheese (about 3 ounces)

Preheat the oven to 425°F. Heat the oil in an ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes, then add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and let simmer for about 5 minutes, until the tomato juices thicken. Remove from the heat.

Stir in the parsley, dill, and shrimp and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the feta over the top. Bake until the shrimp are cooked though and cheese melts, about 12 minutes.

Makes 4 servings
    Serving size: 1 1/2 cups

Per Serving:
    Calories 295; Total fat 10.5g (Sat fat 4g, Mono fat 4g, Poly fat 1g); Protein 34g; Carb 12g; Fiber 2g; Cholesterol 235mg; Sodium 645mg

Excellent source of: calcium, copper, iron, niacin, phosphorus, selenium, vitamin A, vitamin B12, vitamin C, vitamin D, vitamin K
    Good source of: magnesium, potassium, riboflavin, vitamin B6, zinc

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Tilapia is SO good and so versatile -- and good for you, and light. I love to bake it with a couple lemon slices on top and serve it w/ pasta, tomatoes, asparagus and capers in a white wine sauce.

You could also cook it in a pan w/ a little olive oil salt and pepper, or brush it with mustard...mmm so good.

Salmon is good, too and so easy to make...dont be afraid of the fishies! :-)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, ladies!

I've kept 30lbs off for about 8 years now by watching my calories and exercising. No "diets," just moderation.

So, instead of recipes, I'll give you my favorite "secret" subsitutions that make many dishes lower calorie. BEWARE of "non-fat" substitutes you can buy. They are full of sugar to make up for the lack of fat. Case and point, "Fat Free 1/2 and 1/2." Check out those ingredients. You are better off getting the lower fat version of things.

I LOVE food and hate less than stellar low-cal substitues...yuck. So, here are my staples that make everything healthier and still delicious.

Instead of sour cream or mayo: Get fat free yogurt (I like Stoneyfield Organic) and strain it overnight in a fine mesh sieve over a bowl. The whey (the watery stuff) drains out and you are left with what technically is called "yogurt cheese" but the texture and flavor is divine in any recipe that calls for sour cream (or you can just use it as a condiment) or mayo.

For cooked cheese, use Cabot 50% reduced fat chedder cheese. It's perfect for a simple grilled cheese or in baked mac n cheese (with whole wheat pasta!). It melts very nice, has a delicate chedder flavor, and good texture. It's OK cold, too, but a bit rubbery unless melted.

For cold cheese (cheese platters or whatever), use 2% Milk Cracker Barrel Sharp Cheddar by Kraft. Great creamy texture, average sharpness, lower calories.

Only use 1/2 the number of yolks per number of eggs used in scrambled eggs. The whites are about 15 calories, the yolks are 60. Cook in non-stick pan so no butter is necessary.

Always choose 100% whole grains over white flour in bread and pasta. (Organic versions will cause less gastrointestinal trouble because they are not genetically modified and are more easily digested.) Same number of calories, but longer staying power to curb hunger after eating. Our favorite pasta is organic from Whole Foods. Fabulous full bodied flavor and texture. No sacrifice whatsoever - hubby likes it better than white pasta and he's Italian!

Hidden Valley makes a delicious, creamy, "yogurt blend" Ranch dressing. It's practically calorie-free as far as dressing goes. (Be very careful of low fat dressing as far as that sugar thing goes.)

Edy's Yogurt Blends or Slow Churned ice cream is worth the expense. It's only 100 calories per 1/2 cup serving as compared to about 300 for the same amount of Ben and Jerry's, and it's REALLY good...creamy and delicious.

Substitute ground turkey in everything that calls for ground beef. We made chili with it the other day, and my dear husband thought it was ground beef (I told him, and he was thrilled to be saving the calories for no sacrifice of flavor).

Turkey bacon has a different texture than pork bacon, but pork backon is 50 calories a slice and turkey is 30 calories a slice, and the flavor is great. The texture is good, too, but different. Try it. My hubby likes it. I made loaded baked potatoes with turkey bacon, yogurt cheese, and grated Cabot 50% reduced fat chedder. This added protein and great flavor and texture to the starch of the potato with no loss of enjoyment.

Buy solid pretty high quality parmesian (sp?) cheese and grate a little over just about anything. Very few calories, tons of flavor. Do not try with the Kraft junk in the green containers on the shelf. Yuck. What a waste of calories.

Use olive oil (sparingly) when cooking. If you're gonna have fat, at least make it heart and central nervous system healthy.

Always have a little protein with your fruit snacks. 1 oz of peanuts, for instance, with an apple goes a long way even though it's an "extra" 180 calories. It is so much more satisfying you end up eating fewer calrories in the end.

Get out your measuring cups. My husband used to eat 4 servings (1/2 cup each) of ice cream at a time until I showed him what a 1/2 cup looks like. He gasped in horror.

OK, not sure how many times I used the word "creamy," but I hope this gave you a good start to take the recipes you already have and lighten them up. If you have specific things you want to modify but aren't sure how to do it AND keep the flavor and texture you like, please ask. I'm sure I didn't think of all my tricks of the top of my head.

kargiver :)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Fram, one reason chicken pot pie is soooooo calorie dense is the crisco-laden huge crust. What you can do that will lighten it up dramatically is spoon the filling into large (but single serving) ramekins (I like Crate and Barrel's), brush the top and a little of the sides of the ramekins with beaten egg, and seal the ramekin with Pillsbury's pre-made, raw pie crust cut in a circle about 1/2 inch larger than the ramekin top. Brush the pie crust with egg and then be sure to vent it with a sharp knife to allow steam to escape. The filling isn't so bad, it's the huge crust so just a circle of pie crust isn't so bad. To make it even lighter, cut strips and do a lattice top over the ramekin.

ETA: Hold on, I'll get you a good filling recipe I use all the time. Actually, I use it to make chicken and dumplings, but it will work just great for this, too.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

[Quote]I'm doing Weight Watchers, and am always looking out for new recipes[/Quote]

For easy and healthy, I'm always up for veggie chilli, stir fry, and fajitas. Super easy to make and you can easily control the amount of oil that goes into each. It's just basically the same veggies prepared with different spices.

Chilli:
    Saute one med. onion & 3-4 cloves of garlic in a bit of EVOO until soft
    Add chopped bell peppers (one of each color) & saute until soft
    Add sliced zucchini & summer squash & saute until soft
    Add 2 cans of tomatoes (either chopped or whole depending on your preference)
    Add: 2 tbs of chili powder, 2 tbs of cumin, and 1 tsp. of cayenne (depending on your heat tolerance!)
    Simmer for a half hour or so to let the flavors meld. Add a can of corn, black beans, and kidney beans and simmer again until they warm up. There's really nothing to it but cooked veggies!

Stir fry & fajitas are basically the same thing except for the spices...
    Start by sauteeing a few cloves of garlic for just a second until the flavors release

Turn up heat and add sliced bell peppers and sliced onion, sautee until you reach desired texture (I prefer mine crunchy but FI likes them softer)

For stir fry, add in some broccoli and water chestnuts. Add a combination of soy sauce, ginger paste, sriracha sauce, chili garlic sauce, and teryaki sauce. If you want to add chicken, sautee some in a side pan and add it in before the sauce. Serve with brown rice if you want the starch.

For fajitas, add cumin, chili powder, and cayenne (mix in water first) to the veggies. Same with the chicken - if you want the chicken, brown it in a side pan and then add in w/ the spices. Serve w/ a tortilla if you want the carbs but eat in a bowl if you don't!

Don't use pre-package fajita spices!! They're full of preservatives and MSG! Yuck!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheLongestTime. Show TheLongestTime's posts

I looked up Ellie Krieger on the food network website last night and she has a healthy recipe for mac and cheese as well.

INGREDIENTS

• Cooking spray

• One 16-ounce box elbow macaroni

• Two 10-ounce packages frozen pureed winter squash

• 2 cups low-fat milk

• 1 1/3 cups grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese (4 ounces)

• 2/3 cup grated monterey jack cheese (2 ounces)

• 1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese

• 1 teaspoon salt

• 1 teaspoon dry mustard

• 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

• 2 tablespoons plain dry bread crumbs

• 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese

• 1 teaspoon olive oil

DIRECTIONS

Preheat the oven to 375° F. Coat a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.

Cook the macaroni according the package directions. Drain and transfer to the prepared baking dish.

Meanwhile, place the frozen squash and milk in a large saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally and breaking up the squash with a spoon until it is defrosted. Turn the heat up to medium and cook until the mixture is almost simmering, stirring occasionally.

Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cheddar, jack cheese, ricotta, salt, mustard, and cayenne. Pour this mixture over the macaroni and stir to combine.

Combine the bread crumbs, parmesan, and oil in a small bowl.

Sprinkle over the top of the macaroni and cheese. Bake until the cheeses are bubbling around the edges, about 20 minutes, then broil for 3 minutes so the top is crisp and nicely browned.

Makes 8 servings/ Serving size: 2 cups

Per serving: Calories 390; total fat 11g (sat fat 6g, mono fat 1g, poly fat 0.5g); protein 18g; carb 56g; fiber 3.5g; cholesterol 35mg; sodium 547mg

[Quote]Hi kargiver,
    Can you post your recipe for the baked mac n cheese? Is it just the cooked pasta with the cheese sprinkled on top and then baked?

Thanks!

[/Quote]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

This all looks so good!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

I'm doing Weight Watchers, and am always looking out for new recipes

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

circles, that's on topic for this OT thread, thanks! Neat info. I had no idea about the prickly pear.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

I put in another vote for stir-fry. It's how I sneakily reduced the amount fo meat DH and I were eating every night. When you have so much veggies and flavor, he didn't notice that there was very little meat.
    I like to use ramen noodles in my stirfry. I just boil the noodles, strain and then throw then in the wok after the veggies are done cooking and toss with soy sauce.