Sick of boring sandwiches

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jolers. Show Jolers's posts

Sick of boring sandwiches

Hi all - I'm new to these boards and currently 1,000s of miles away from Boston in London!

It's coming up to lunch time and I am so BORED of the same old sandwiches. I always have ham, cheese and mustard on white. But not only do I want to be healthier, I want to open my lunchbox with a wow!

So... my challenge to you is to help me create the ultimate sandwich... I want to know what type of bread, what sort of filling, how high to stack the filling, the best way to store it. I recently went on a holiday to New York and absolutely loved the cream cheese and smoked salmon bagels. Has to be with pickle!

Thanks for your help (P.S. lunch is in an hour!) x

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from oewg. Show oewg's posts

Re: Sick of boring sandwiches

Try ciabatta with ham, cheese, mayo, cucumber and tomato. Simple classic.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jolers. Show Jolers's posts

In Response to Re: Sick of boring sandwiches:
    Try ciabatta with ham, cheese, mayo, cucumber and tomato. Simple classic.
    Posted by oewg

nice! I like the sound of that toasted (minus the cucumber)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I like chicken breast, sliced very thinly, with a smear of jalpenos in adobo (HOT and smokey), mayo, avocdado slices, alfalfa sprouts (piled high), and munster cheese.  Toasted on wheat.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

Genoa salami, american cheese, peppers & eggs, on buttered Italian Bread. YUM!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Try
    1) Tuna salad (tuna, pickled relish, chopped celery with a bit of mayo to bind) w/ tomatoes and lettuce on toasted whole wheat.
    2) Egg salad (chopped hard cooked eggs, chopped scallions w/ mayo mixed w/ curry powder to taste) on a toasted bagel or toasted whole wheat.
    3) Lobster meat w/ lots of black pepper in a hot dog bun

Or the day after Thanksgiving sandwich:
    4) Toasted whole wheat spread with mayo and slices of turkey, topped with a bit of stuffing and cranberry sauce. Then heated up.

Mayo can be the real stuff, light or fat free.

Bon Appetite!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnath. Show johnath's posts

In Response to Sick of boring sandwiches:
    Hi all - I'm new to these boards and currently 1,000s of miles away from Boston in London! It's coming up to lunch time and I am so BORED of the same old sandwiches. I always have ham, cheese and mustard on white. But not only do I want to be healthier, I want to open my lunchbox with a wow! So... my challenge to you is to help me create the ultimate sandwich... I want to know what type of bread, what sort of filling, how high to stack the filling, the best way to store it. I recently went on a holiday to New York and absolutely loved the cream cheese and smoked salmon bagels. Has to be with pickle! Thanks for your help (P.S. lunch is in an hour!) x
    Posted by Jolers

Go to foodnetwork.com and search Caeser Club Sandwich.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnath. Show johnath's posts

Genoa salami, american cheese, peppers & eggs, on buttered Italian Bread. YUM!
    Posted by easydoesit2

Sammy Scola in the North End made something like this. He used Provolone cheese. He skipped the butter. He also did it with potato and egg.
    You can also use eggplant.
    The store has since moved to the waterfront in South Boston. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Here in the US, your sweetcorn and peppery coleslaw are unheard of.

Oat nut bread with turkey, mayo, cranberry jam, salt and pepper. Toasted or not.
    Rye, toasted, with tomato (4 slices)  mayo salt and pepper.
    Avocado, bacon and tomato.  On toast - doesn't matter which kind.
    Chicken salad made with celery, mayo, dried cranberries and walnuts on wheat or oat with lettuce.  Or on granary bread as I believe you call it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheSmallBostonKitchen. Show TheSmallBostonKitchen's posts

I feel your pain!  I have a food blog and recently came up with some good stuff that you might like.  I included my sandwich creations and then threw in an awesome Quinoa Tabbouleh for something extra, just in case you want to swap the sandwich!  It's super healthy and travels well in some Tupperware.  Good luck!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

In Response to Re: Sick of boring sandwiches : Sammy Scola in the North End made something like this. He used Provolone cheese. He skipped the butter. He also did it with potato and egg. You can also use eggplant. The store has since moved to the waterfront in South Boston. 
    Posted by johnath

Tried it and it's good, but not the same: too much bread and P & E, too little salami, and the butter is needed to really clog the arteries, but thanks for the reply.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Txgrl82. Show Txgrl82's posts

Roasted turkey on honey wheat with thinly sliced Granny Smith apple and cheddar. A little spicy brown mustard, if you like it. Yum!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

Roasted turkey on honey wheat with thinly sliced Granny Smith apple and cheddar. A little spicy brown mustard, if you like it. Yum!
    Posted by Txgrl82

Thank you so much for your suggestion; sounds delish! I'm not a Cranberry person at all, and plain turkey & cheese usually is pretty bland.  I hope I can remember this the next time there's leftover bird!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jolers. Show Jolers's posts

thanks so much to everyone for your suggestions - sorry if my Britishisms didn't translate - sweetcorn is just corn and I guess coleslaw is slaw? Well it's carrots, cabbage & mayo anyway!

You have loads more bread options than we do, though I have been buying rye bread this week and love it with cream cheese (lite), sliced tomato and lots of black pepper. Another great one, if a little odd... is toasted wholewheat with mashed avocado that's been mixed with a little bit of lemon juice, worcestershire sauce (do you get that in the states?) and some tabasco.

And as it's Friday now I can have a break from the sandwiches for two days. Next week I'm thinking of cooking up a big pot of soup and bringing some of that in every day.

Enjoy the weekend Laughing

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Txgrl82. Show Txgrl82's posts

In Response to Re: Sick of boring sandwiches : Thank you so much for your suggestion; sounds delish! I'm not a Cranberry person at all, and plain turkey & cheese usually is pretty bland.  I hope I can remember this the next time there's leftover bird!
    Posted by easydoesit2

Funny you mention it, I'm not a huge cranberry person myself, at leat when it comes to eating it as a "sauce"....glad to contribute!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You could just cook extra food every night for dinner and take it to work the next day.  That's what DH gets for lunch, and he's always happy to get to have dinner again...at least that's what he tells me!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tequilagirl98. Show tequilagirl98's posts

my Mom and husband swear by cream cheese with olive sandwiches on rye bread... 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mulhalls. Show Mulhalls's posts

Ok,  my new all time favorite:

Goat cheese (not too much)
    Portabella mushroom, marinated in a vinegarette (red wine vinegarette is best)
    Thick Tomato slice

This is beyond delicious. 
    Although fancy, if you can do it on a panini, where you grill it,
    it is delish.  You can do this as a wrap, or on your favorite bread.
    Enjoy.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Posted by tequilagirl98

That's a blast from my past.  Delicious.  And, if you're worried about calories, you can take fat free yogurt and drain it 24 - 48 hours in cheese cloth or a fine mesh seive and use the resulting yogurt cheese for the cream cheese.  When I was 5 I didn't have to worry about it...ah, the good ol' days of a high metabolism.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

----And, if you're worried about calories, you can take fat free yogurt and drain it 24 - 48 hours in cheese cloth or a fine mesh seive and use the resulting yogurt cheese for the cream cheese----

Or simply buy lowfat/nonfat Greek yoghurt. TJ's is awesome - comes organic too.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Is it really that thick and "dry" with the consistency of cream cheese?  I'll have to try it sometime - if you use it, Pingo, I'm sure it's good.  The fat free yogurt I use is also organic, but it is a pain to set it up to drain for 2 days...I've knocked it over before, too.  What a mess.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GTK. Show GTK's posts

Avocado Club Sandwich

Avocado Club Sandwich

http://www.livestrong.com/recipes/avocado-club-sandwich/

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sophie08. Show Sophie08's posts

Posted by tequilagirl98

My late husband use to love those sandwiches, he always wanted dark rye.  I thought he was the only one who ate those. Another favorite was leftover Thanksgiving turkey,stuffing, mashed potatoes and my home made cranberry sauce with mayo on scali bread

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from erebor452. Show erebor452's posts

Pesto, mozzerella, tomato and romaine lettuce on crusty bread.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Peanut butter and butter or pband raisins or pb and banana!