Healthy foods you hated as a child

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fourbabies. Show Fourbabies's posts

Re: Healthy foods you hated as a child

Asparagus, especially with lumpy and cold hollandaise sauce. Stringy texture, disgusting taste, ugly to look at.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bimmergal. Show bimmergal's posts

What did I dislike as a child and still do:
    Kidney beans ( my father liked a revolting concoction of elbow macaroni, kidney beans, hamburg and tomato sauce- like spoiled American chop suey which I won't eat to this day. Let's face it, there are some foods you do outgrow as an adult- take jello for instance).
    Brussel sprouts- bitter!
    canned peas- what are Irish smushed peas? Ugh!
    milk- the idea of drowning cereal in milk is revolting!
    bell peppers- make me sick
    asparagus
    liver- goes without saying- it collects all the toxins in an animal's body
    turnips
    any kind of fishyfish or canned salmon-yuck!
    canned tuna
    lima beans- why do they still exist?
    water- too boring-and you wonder why people drink soda
    "organ" meats
    chick peas-except in hummus
    hard cooked egg yolks
    chicken thighs
    If you cook spinach, okra or cauliflower Indian style it's really delicious. I love the deep fried okra at Redbone's.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lincoln678. Show lincoln678's posts

I hated pineapples as a kid, now I love them.  Growing up we mainly ate meat and potatoes with an occasional canned vegetable (creamed corn- yuck).  Now I love fresh veggies and eat only a small amount of meat. 

Still cannot stomach bananas and brussel sprouts.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaput007. Show kaput007's posts

I grew up during the 60 and everything was canned. Talk about junk food! Spaghettios were considered dinner. We drank soda made from those fizzies...popsicles galore....and everybody was skinny.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from conditionoakland. Show conditionoakland's posts

i really disliked this frozen veg medley which included lima beans, carrots and corn. growing up working class, there were a lot of canned vegetables, it's what my mom could afford, until summer, when my grandfather's garden was fruitful. Canned beats, peas and beans were the worst, texturally- they were mushy and bland. Today the only canned vegetable i'll tolerate is tomato, and only for sauce if i can't get decent ones fresh.

The only thing i hated as a kid and still do are hard boiled eggs. the texture skeeves me out, the sulfur smell turns me off completely.

To those who think they hate brussels, or find them bitter, try halving them, arranging them in a baking dish with a bit of salt and olive oil, roast them at 350 for about 45, they come out wonderfully- unexpectedly sweet and tasty. This is my new favorite way to eat them.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from grandlw. Show grandlw's posts

water?  that's funny, I've never heard that one before.  No offense, but that's like saying you don't like breathing air.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbp1970. Show mbp1970's posts

I hate Broccoli!
    I hated it as a kid, and as an adult, i hate it so much that it makes me sick just smelling it.  I rarely use the word "hate", and teach my children not to use it, but this is a true exception.

There are some foods that I do not like and choose not to cook (brussel sprouts and lima beans), but will eat them to be polite, or if I was told to by a Dr.
    I will try just about anything at least once, and teach our children to do the same.  My youngest loves the evil stalk when we have it with dip at parties - good for her.
    I would have a tough time choking down broccoli even if it was the only food available (raw or cooked).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nasochkas. Show Nasochkas's posts

My first 8 years were not spent in America and I ate most things. Kids in other countries are just not as picky with food because they get fed whatever adult eat. Only here do we have specialy sugary and fatty "kids food" or "kids menus".

The one thing I hated until I was about 20 years old is olives, but love them now. I also hated bell peppers until recently, but have started eating them a year or so ago.

If you hate a food, try to try it anyway at least once a year. Pallets can be trained to expand.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Seebell. Show Seebell's posts

I hated 'green beans' as a child (now I love them).
    I hated pea soup as a child and I STILL HATE IT.
    I liked & had for lunch every day from kindergarten thru 4th grade, bologna & chz & mustard sandwiched (now I hate them).
    I hated milk (now I like it)
    I lliked 'orange crush soda' as a kid (now I hate it).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Seebell. Show Seebell's posts

OH - one more thing....
    I liked peanut butter & marshmellow fluff sandwiches as a kid (now I hate them).
    I hated peanut butter & jelly sandwiches as a kid (now I LIKE them).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from furpurrson. Show furpurrson's posts

In Response to Healthy foods you hated as a child:

Funny thing about that list, or maybe funny thing about me: I always loved my veggies. My mother was the envy of her peers. Except for one: lima beans. I HATED lima beans. Hated, hated, hated them. Still do.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lgmoney. Show lgmoney's posts

beets, cauliflower, brussell sprouts and tofu