Weight lifting question

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Weight lifting question

Very new to weight lifting.  I've just worked out how many reps and sets I should do.   Let's say your routine is simply bench press curls and sit ups just to simplify things.  And let's say we do 5 sets of each.  Do you do; a set of bench press, then a set of curls, then do sit ups, and then bench press again?  Or do you stay at the bench press and do a set, rest, do another set and repeat until all 5 sets are done? I've been going in the 'round robin' method and I'm wondering if that's wrong. Thanks

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Weight lifting question

I'm not an expert or trainer, but I do have some experience weight lifting.  Lifted for 2 years at my gym at work and got excellent (if I do say so!) results.

There are a lot of theories about what is best.  However, "wrong" really boils down to setting yourself up for injury imo so I think you're OK there with what you are doing.

On the other hand, there are more efficient ways to get great results.  Some pro football teams are doing one set of very high weight to fatigue in 10 - 12 reps and that's it.  3 sets is "standard," though.  If you are doing 5 sets of each, you are probably not lifting enough weight.  Your third set should really push you to fatigue and be the last set.

As for refractory time, I know not having enough is potentially dangerous and too much you don't get as much benefit.  When I lifted, I rested between sets without doing anything else in between because that's how the gym coach instructed me, but like I said, I'm no expert.

Maybe someone else can be more helpful, but that's what I've got...that and congrats on getting started!  It can be intimidating and scary to start weight training, at least it was for me.  
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to kargiver's comment:

I'm not an expert or trainer, but I do have some experience weight lifting.  Lifted for 2 years at my gym at work and got excellent (if I do say so!) results.

There are a lot of theories about what is best.  However, "wrong" really boils down to setting yourself up for injury imo so I think you're OK there with what you are doing.

On the other hand, there are more efficient ways to get great results.  Some pro football teams are doing one set of very high weight to fatigue in 10 - 12 reps and that's it.  3 sets is "standard," though.  If you are doing 5 sets of each, you are probably not lifting enough weight.  Your third set should really push you to fatigue and be the last set.

As for refractory time, I know not having enough is potentially dangerous and too much you don't get as much benefit.  When I lifted, I rested between sets without doing anything else in between because that's how the gym coach instructed me, but like I said, I'm no expert.

Maybe someone else can be more helpful, but that's what I've got...that and congrats on getting started!  It can be intimidating and scary to start weight training, at least it was for me.  

Right, ok, I can only manage 12-15 reps, but the question still remains, do I do all the sets for one exercise all at once, or do I do one set for one exercise, then another one set for another exercise and so on?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I would increase the weight such that you have to push to do the 12th rep correctly and probably couldn't do a 13th in good form and only do 3 sets MAX.  And, like I said, I'm no expert, but I got great results doing 3 sets of 10 - 12 without doing other muscles in between. I can't site a source, but I believe too much rest between sets decreases the effectiveness.  I also I employed the one set, heavy weight theory (that gets you very fatigued after one set of 10 - 12) and got the same results as doing 3 sets of lighter weights so I stuck with that since it really cut way down on gym time for no reduction of muscle buidling...in my estimation of my own results, anyway.

I'm not sure, but I believe when I was doing 3 sets of each I was resting 30 seconds between sets.  When you increase the weight such that you are only doing one set of each, though, you don't have to care. :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

OK, thanks for spelling that out

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That's how I did it, and if I were to start up, again, I'd definitely go the 1 set (unconventional) route for time and results purposes.  But, be sure to consult others - I am just someone whose done it, not an exercise kinestheiologist by far.  

I just googled "one set to failure" - you can read a lot about it if you want.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Good advice from Kar. I have been seeing a personal trainer for about a year. My weight training routine started out in the beginning along these lines:

1 set of 12 reps, 2nd set to muscle exhaustion, 3rd set to muscle exhaustion . So my first workout at a particular weight mostly looked something like this 1 set of 12 reps, 1 set of about 10 reps and 1 set of about 6 or 7. If you are doing the same number of reps in all three sets..then you need to move to a higher weight. You also need to understand the difference between muscle exhaustion and pain. Muscle exhaustion is essentially when you can't really do another rep and still maintain proper form. Once your muscle is tired to the point where form is compromised then it's time to stop...otherwise you can hurt yourself.

From there you can move on to super sets. Super sets are alternating between two muscle groups without rest in between. For super sets you always work your upper body together and your lower body together. Just make sure you are doing two separate muscle groups ( ex. alternating back/shoulder and chest.

Now..I don't keep increasing the weights because I don't want to actually build more muscle. Instead I add reps.

Also..it is really important to do balance and strength training beyond weights. Throw in some yoga or pilates on your non weight training days to keep your flexibility and get the blood flowing to your muscles.

" Above all..be the heroine in your life..not the victim" Nora Ephron

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I did it as a beginner and did great, but you don't have to.  It saved time in the gym, got excellent results, and as far as I could tell had no downside whatsoever.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I only stopped lifting because I left my career...my whole "old" life.  I'm a very active housewife now.  I pressure can, and lifting a 40 lb boiling canner to move it from the front to the back burner without tipping the jars inside is no small task for 110 lb woman.  

I did it that way successfully for 2 years solid.  And, it works - pros wouldn't do it if it didn't.  But, the OP can decide how he wants to do it - I offered it as a suggestion because it's proven outside of my results AND I got great results the whole time I did it.

12. This post has been removed.