Meet The Parents

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kbmmhb. Show kbmmhb's posts

Meet The Parents

I am having my family and my FI's family over soon to meet for the first time... what is a good idea do you think to serve for dinner?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from clm77. Show clm77's posts

Meet The Parents

Omgosh honey, go OUT to dinner!! You don't need the stress of making dinner and playing hostess along with the stress of families meeting for the first time!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaygee11. Show kaygee11's posts

Meet The Parents

Now that's cooling down a bit, i'd be happliy in my "oven" months (i.e., so hot in my apartment in the summer that the oven's just not an option!) and making a tray of baked ziti or lasagna or something. Tastes good, easy to make, people notice effort was involved, but it doesn't REALLY matter how pretty it is (aside from being burnt). Nice salad, some garlic bread, some chianti...

I think i know what *I'm* doing for dinner tonight!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

Meet The Parents

We had our parents meet at a restaurant mostly because it was easier and my parents requested it since they wanted to take his parents out. I think it is worth considering, but I am not going to rain on your parade if you like to cook.

I would suggest do as much as you can ahead of time that way you can chat with everyone. Have a plate of cheese and crackers done, all you have to do is take off the saran wrap. Have the table set and the wine (if you are serving it) picked and chilled. And have the dessert ready even if you do a warm pie you can pre bake it and then while you are eating dinner put it in the oven on warm to serve warm apple pie with ice cream or something like that.

For the main course I would go with some thing that is a one pot dinner. Another poster offered lasgana and I second that. You can make it ahead of time and then just slip it in the oven and wait. Garlic bread is quick and easy as well as a salad and you have a fab meal. You could do the same with just about any pasta dish, running the pasta (if already cooked and drained) under warm water will re heat them nicely and then you add warm sauce, perfect.

What about chilli and cornbread and a salad?

Good luck you will have fun and it will be great. The other suggestion is stack the dishes in the other room and do them after your guests leave. Don't hide in the kitchen afterwards, it takes two minutes to put away leftovers and then re join the party. :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kbmmhb. Show kbmmhb's posts

Meet The Parents

thanks for the advice...i think im going to go with the lasagna! only problem is (im not much of a chef) and although i can make lasagna... i usually use sauce out of a jar.. is that bad?!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ralphluv. Show ralphluv's posts

Meet The Parents

Oh I can help with this one...

I make what I call "Irish" Lasagna because people who are Italian who make their own sauce mock me over it.

3 Jars Prego Mini Meatball Sauce (Pour in to pot simmer until hot)

1 box of no boil noodles

1 lb of ricotta cheese

1 lb of lean hamburger (omit if you have vegetarians)

1 big bag of mozzerella

Some shakes of parmesean shake cheese

Brown the meat, drain add to sauce, layer the stuff together alternating the noodles and bake at 350 for 45 minutes covered and then for 15 additional minutes uncovered. Let stand for 5 minutes. DELISH.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ash. Show ash's posts

Meet The Parents

company chicken, my fall back for a really good dinner ( think lasagna is too messy and can be rubbery). Also would not go out...too awkward about who pays.

Mix 1 bottle of Wishbone russian dressing (must use wishbone), one pack of Lipton onion soup mix, 1 10 oz jar of apricot jam. Mix together, pour over chicken pieces, cook till done (depends on size of pieces). Serve with rice pilaf (one of those box things, though would serve 2 for 6 people) mixed with some mushrooms or carmelized onions, a green vegetable (not asparagus, at least not the first time!). Sometimes when feeling ambitious, I steam some cut up butternut squash, mash it, mix it with butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and ginger and serve that, too.

Unless you love to bake, get a bakery apple pie for dessert and maybe some brownies for the chocolate lovers.

Try to relax! Easy for me to say. I've been married for 16 years. When my in laws come to visit now, my mother in law cooks!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

Meet The Parents

Jar sauce is not bad but don't tell anyone I said that, I am Italian! :)

I have been known to use some and doctor it up a bit. I used to get Aunt Millie's sauage and pepper sauce because it was most similar to my Grammy's sauce but I have a hard time finding it. I also liked it because Grammy's sister's name was Millie. Anyway things you can do (but only if you want to) I generally taste the sauce and add a bit of basil and oregano while it is warming in a pan. Additionally I will add a bit probably a 1/4 cup of wine to the sauce (either red or white will do but I lean towards red) and it doesn't have to be good wine. I have been known to use the screw top four packs you can buy (my Mom swears by Riunti, the horrors! :) my Grammy and I use what ever we have handy and it all tastes good.). And if the sauce is a bit too runny for your tastes add cheese, either romano or parmesian. If you like it a little spicy add some red pepper flakes but be careful a little goes a long way...I learned the hard way and thank goodness my FI and like hot/spicy things but I don't think anyone else would have enjoyed that sauce :)

I do make it now for the most part and freeze it. If you have a slow cooker or a kitchen kettle it is super easy to make sauce you just need the time. I start it on a Saturday morning during breakfast and then clean, read and chill while it cooks away on its own. I will seperate at it into batches that I can freeze so it cools faster and then by the dinner clean up time it is cool enough to refrigerate for later in the week or to freeze.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Meet The Parents

Ralphluv, I appreciate the fact, that you omit the meat forvegetarians. However, your sauce has mini meatballs in it. I am not avegetarian - just wanted to let you know, that would have to beexchanged with some other no-meat sauce.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaygee11. Show kaygee11's posts

Meet The Parents

I can see how a jars vs. homemade conversation could mirror a handwritten vs. printed envelopes conversation :-) But this is all about how to make a decent meal and a LESS STRESSFUL experience for YOU. We're not talking about what you're serving at the wedding or anything! :-)

Jar sauce is totally fine (and, yes, i'm italian). I believe that making homemade sauce is like any other hobby... when i have the time, i really love to do it, and i'm really happy i did it after the fact. And if i'm lucky enough to get 4 or 5 weekends in a winter where i get to do something like that, great -- i'll freeze a bunch and it will last. UNtil then, JARS JARS JARS.

as another poster suggested, there are ways of making it a little more homemade feeling, if that's a goal for you -- adding meat, spices, maybe even roasted vegetables. (my mother makes mini meatballs and slices sausages and uses those as a layer in the lasagna.... But, seriously, don't kill yourself over this meal! NOOOOOOOOT worth it!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ralphluv. Show ralphluv's posts

Meet The Parents

Thanks Pingo...You can use any jarred sauce...Plus I still leave them in even though my brother claims to be a vegetarian. Anyone who eats fries that have had meat juice on them isn't a real vegetarian..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Meet The Parents

Hahaha! You are cheating.
    It really irks me, that vegetarians can eat a huge plate of frenchfries (fried in lard) and gallons of ice cream (eggs) outside. Whenthey come to my home, I have to make special dishes for them. AndGod forbid if I serve them a baked cake (eggs). Talking aboutconvenience vegetarians here.
    If anyone have a dietary problem, I will of course go out of my way toaccommodate them. But these one day yes, and one day no vegetariansreally gets to me.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

Meet The Parents

Very few places and none that I know make their fries in lard anymore it is some blend of veggie oils, but I agree with your point.

Vegitarians can and do eat dairy products and eggs. It is vegans that do not leat milk and eggs in addition to meat.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Meet The Parents

Wendy, you are s-o-o-o-o-o-o-o right! But the vegetarians I know, Ifeel are just trying to make it difficult for me (at least that is whatI feel).
    How do you make a dinner for someone, who do not eat meat andfish - any kind - , but also no potatatoes, carrots, onions andgarlic, and cheese?? (Bugs are living in the cheese). But then, whenthey go out, they don't mind to eat french fries and ice cream andother things??? And btw. not all outits use lard, but plentystill use a mixture of oil and lard.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

Meet The Parents

Those are the people I would politely tell to shove it :) and ask them when they would cook.

I am very lucky that the veggies that I know are very accomidating because they understand that most of their friends are not veggies. And in return when I cook I do my best to accomidate them. I do have a friend that I swear only eats meat and potatoes and for a veggie corn, and done in standard prep nothing fancy for him. It limits the places we can go out to eat, and I am horrible because last week he wasn't able to attend (and I was sort of excited) so we went somewhere that was very veggie friendly for some of our friends and had meat of the rest of us....but it was a scary (that is sarcastic) SE Asian place. The place did a mix of Thai, Cambodian and I think Laotian (sp?). It was pretty good, not my favorite in the least but it was nice for a change of pace.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from clm77. Show clm77's posts

Meet The Parents

How's this for funny- My friend is allergic to all fresh vegetables, fruits, and nuts... His wife is a vegetarian!

They eat a *lot* of pasta :)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Meet The Parents

Maybe I ran into the ones, that don't eat anyting at my house, but are happy to eat anything "looking vvggies" outside. Argh!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from somethingold. Show somethingold's posts

Meet The Parents

Can you roast a chicken surrounded by cut up potatoes and onions and carrots? I don't have a specific recipe, but the house sure smells excellent when that's cooking and all sides are included and since it'll spend time cooking unattended, you get to enjoy your guests. Just spill some juice in the oven and pretend you've got a fire if you need to escape. FWIW if you live anywhere near Methuen (across from the Loop mall in Methuen), Mann's Orchard makes the best, must be homemade apple crumb pie ever for not a lot of $$. No one will ever know you didn't make it if you let it warm up in the oven top with some vanilla ice cream and it's instant dessert. And though I have a lot of great cook friends, this is the best pie ever.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

Meet The Parents

FIL's live down the street and swear by Mann's for any pies, and I have to admit they are pretty good. I made one myself (not apple) and wasn't sure to be offended or pleased when my FIL said it was so good and asked if I got if from Mann's. I am just kidding he very much enjoyed the pie and it was a compliment, I know my audience :)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from austengirl. Show austengirl's posts

Meet The Parents

I would also say roast a chicken, pork loin or pot roast - cut up the potatoes, squash, veggies - what ever your sides are and have them sitting in pots of water just waiting to be turned on when ready to start cooking. this is what we do when entertaining and it is easy. Ice Cream or Brownies or Chocoate Truffles from Godiva for dessert - voila!