MIT Faculty Club

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

MIT Faculty Club

Hi. I'm recently engaged and in the process of booking a reception venue for October 2009. I've been to see the MIT Faculty Club. Does anyone have any feedback on this place? I'm interested mostly in hearing about the food. Also, any other opinions on the space are great too. Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEM81. Show GEM81's posts

MIT Faculty Club

When we went to check it out as a possible reception site they were having this kind of wedding open house event. We tried some of their appetizers and desert options, and it was all really good. (Didn't sample any entrees though). I thought it was a very nice space and their prices are about as good as you can get for Boston/Cambridge. We might have gone with it, but I was concerned that the room was a bit small for a good sized dance floor and we had already fallen in love with the venue we ended up choosing. It's a great option though, in my opinion.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

MIT Faculty Club

I've been to dinner and for cocktail hours there, and I would say that the food is good. I don't remember what I had for dinner, because it was a while ago, but I've been to a cocktail party there a couple months ago, and it was nice. They had a good display of crudite, hoummous, cheese, fruit. They did waiter passed appetizers of fried risotto cakes, and I think they had like mini-samosas or spring rolls or something. It was tasty. I think it's a great option for the location. My fiance and I are getting married at a different university's faculty club down the river :).

Edited to add: As far as my general opinions of the space--the views are lovely there, and the staff is friendly. The bathrooms and lobby area up on that floor are nice too. I think it's a good option, especially for a smaller wedding.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

MIT Faculty Club

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. I am finding it difficult to make these kind of decisions just based on viewing a venue once and not knowing anything about the quality of the food, etc. It really helps to hear from people who have already checked it out! Thanks!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEM81. Show GEM81's posts

MIT Faculty Club

One thing I just remembered...the chairs that they have available there aren't very weddingy, they look more like something you'd find in an office conference room. If I remember correctly, you can rent nicer chairs through the club but you probably want to factor that into your budget when you're making a decision.

Good luck!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

MIT Faculty Club

I agree about the chairs! "hospital waiting room" came to mind when I saw them. We would definitely rent some better chairs that would be more appropriate for a wedding.

GEM81 - would you mind sharing the venue that you did end up choosing? Just wanted to see if there is a venue that wasn't on my radar. Thanks!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from piperrose. Show piperrose's posts

MIT Faculty Club

Hi,
    I actually had my reception for 125 there in May. The food is excellent, and it is incredibly inexpensive, even with the additional expense of renting chairs (I rented silver chivari (sp) chairs, and they really dressed the whole place up). I was worried about the size of the dance floor, but apparently I have a difficult time judging these things, b/c there was plenty of room (even with a band; we hired Search Party). One thing, though: make sure you know who is going to be there managing everything the night-of. Ours couldn't make it at the last minute, and the person put in their place didn't know what they were doing. Everything else went very smoothly, from the tasting, to the cake arriving, and the waitstaff was great. For a wedding on Memorial Day Weekend, I feel like we lucked out as far as location, view, and price.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from piperrose. Show piperrose's posts

MIT Faculty Club

If there was a way to put a picture on here of how the room looked . . . I would. But I can't figure it out.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

MIT Faculty Club

Thanks for your advice piper! It is very reassuring to hear your feedback. Did you rent your chairs directly through the club? When speaking with them, they said that the Chivari chairs are about $10-$13 per chair to rent. But after poking around on-line at other party rental companies, I feel like that may be on the high side. Although, to have one less vendor to deal with, it may be worth it to just rent.

One other question... did you do a room block for your guests at a hotel in the area? We would have a lot of out of towners, so we were considering the Marriott in Kendall Square as an option. We want to try and keep things reasonable for our guests, so hopefully we can find a decent rate for a room block in that area.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BNY. Show BNY's posts

MIT Faculty Club

Can't comment on the Faculty club itself, but I do know that $10-13 per chivari chair is high. We paid $6.75 from Encore Party Rentals and even with adding in delivery it's still much less. And Baystate Party Rentals quoted us $5.75 per chair not incl. delivery.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEM81. Show GEM81's posts

MIT Faculty Club

Hi ALS--

We ended up choosing the Downtown Harvard Club, which is up on the 38th floor of One Federal St. in the Financial District. To me it just felt like the most unique venue we looked at and it had State Room views for significantly less money. So far the staff has been wonderful and I'm thrilled with our choice. (Our tasting is next month so I can't speak to the food yet.) The only catch is that you need to either be a member or be sponsored by a member to have a wedding there. If you know someone, a family friend or whatever, who could sponsor you I would definitely check it out.

Our three finalists were the DHC, the Hyatt Harborside and the MIT Faculty Club. All three were fairly comparable in price, although I think MIT would have ended up being the most affordable. Honestly, I think we would have been very happy with either of the other two choices. In the end it just came down to which one most fit our vision of what we wanted for the day.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from piperrose. Show piperrose's posts

MIT Faculty Club

Hi,
    Sorry -- I forgot to check back for comments after I posted! We did rent chairs through MIT. I let the coordinator handle it, mostly b/c that was why MIT appealed to me in the 1st place: just one vendor to handle everything. Honestly, even with the chairs, I was really surprised at how inexpensive the reception was. Oh: we didn't have a champagne toast, though, b/c it's a pet peeve of mine that they pour it really early at receptions and not everyone drinks champagne so it goes to waste. So we didn't get charged for champagne; I'm not sure how much that took from the overall price, though.

We reserved a block of rooms at the Kendall Hotel (within walking distance to the club). We also had a block at the Brookline Courtyard, because our ceremony was there.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from piperrose. Show piperrose's posts

MIT Faculty Club

Here is a little photo stream of some pics from my reception with no people in them. ;) You can see the chairs and tables and one shot of the room, and also some shots of the cheese and veggie displays (????). (Those aren't going into the album!)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/piper_rose/

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

MIT Faculty Club

Thanks piper! That was really helpful. We had to decide on our reception venue last week and we ended up booking the MIT Faculty Club! (Yay!) We are really excited about it. I think it is a great deal when you considering everything that is included.

Thanks for the feedback about chairs, hotel, etc. The MIT Club told me that if we rent chairs, it would have to be through them, which is just easier anyways. We'll probably do the Chivari chairs. The rates in the end were a little less than the $10 we were originally quoted. Thanks for the pictures too - those were great. It really does help visualize what the room will look like. (The only times I have been there, they were set up for business functions).

And that is great to know about the champagne toast. I was under the impression that the packages were not negotiable. But I will keep that in mind since I'm not a big fan of champagne toasts either. It is just as easy for everyone to just raise a glass of whatever they are drinking at the time.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from piperrose. Show piperrose's posts

MIT Faculty Club

I am pretty sure that you can customize everything. We thought about doing beer and wine only, although the event planner said that the difference without hard alcohol was pretty minimal and wouldn't make that much of a difference. We also thought about skipping the sorbet course, but we ended up going with that, and, actually, a lot of people told me afterwards that they loved it.