Peronsal Question

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from insideout1234. Show insideout1234's posts

Peronsal Question

Call your Doc....they will be able to help you. I think it takes a couple of months (at least waaay back when I took BC it did, but I am sure there are better pills out there now)...but at least you are thinking of it now!

My sister had hers on her honeymoon. She was fine. They got a couple of days to consummate the marriage...But, she has an IUD too...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Peronsal Question

Hi. You can definitely skip the placebo pills and continuously cycle. There is no harm in this except that some people get some break through bleeding but even that is not too common. I am in the medical fiel.

Enjoy your honeymoon!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from austengirl. Show austengirl's posts

Peronsal Question

I do it probably 1 - 2x per year...I try to reserve it for something big - like a honeymoon but sometimes I just cant deal. Sometimes I get breakthrough sometime hormones are a bit revved up but if you have never done it before definetly call your doc or nurse first...But you should be fine. I was originally told by my doc to do this once and she said it is actually healthy for your body to not go through all that stress 12 times a year. I believe that study was also published...not in medical field but been on bc for 11 years

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sunshinemrs. Show sunshinemrs's posts

Peronsal Question

Definitely check with your doctor, it should be fine.

And definitely DO NOT wait an additional week after your placebo pills taking nothing for a week before starting the next packet. This puts you at risk of getting pregnant. Not the kind of additional stress you need right before your wedding :-)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from julper. Show julper's posts

Peronsal Question

I've done it twice. I was going to have my period on my HM too. I skipped my period by starting a new pack instead of taking the week of placebo pills. I must be on a triphasic pill because I had breakthru bleeding later in the month, and plus my hormones felt all screwed up and I was a little bit emotionally weird.

Personally I hated the month after I skipped my period, but the ACTUAL week of skipping it was fine. So if I were you I would do the skip ON your honeymoon, just in case it reacts weird with your hormones too, you don't want to be crabby on your wedding day and honeymoon.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from summer07. Show summer07's posts

Peronsal Question

I wouldnÆt wait until close to the wedding or the week of the honeymoon to do the skipped week. I assume from your screenname that your wedding isnÆt until next August. Do it in the next few months, so youÆll get on the ôproperö schedule for your wedding events, and get the possible side effects over with now, not before or after your wedding. My wedding was in July and I did this last winter to get myself on another cycle, since mine was going to come on the honeymoon as well. I didnÆt have any issues (IÆd done this once before for a vacation as well). Call your doctor if itÆll make you feel better (IÆm not a big proponent for taking medical advice from the boards!), but my doctor said there was no problem with skipping a week as long as you had it every 3 months (hence the Seasonal pill or whatever itÆs called).-->-->

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADK88. Show ADK88's posts

Peronsal Question

I did this a few years ago - and it back fired big time. I pretty much spotted for 2 months straight by skipping the sugar pills. I soooo don't recommend it.

How many months until you wedding? You can re-adjust the day you start your period (and thus, the days you are the heaviest) by just starting your new pack one day earlier each month.

If you usually take your first pill on a Monday - take it on a Sunday this month - and a Saturday next month.
    You can tweek it little by little. I found that small adjustments like that worked wonderfully.

I did that last year - and eventually made it so I never get my periods on weekends anymore! Woohoo!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from summer07. Show summer07's posts

Peronsal Question

oh right i remember that happening. in fact, by the 2nd month without one, I didn't make it to the week I was expecting it. (I usually get "it" on a Tuesday). The Saturday before the Tues I was expecting it, it came and I was so not prepared. Like yhkerry said, my body insisted on having one. My advice is still to try to change your schedule sooner rather than later, but be prepared for some side effects :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sarahbth. Show sarahbth's posts

Peronsal Question

My own nursing courses on the subject are more recent than THAT OLD LADY Wag , only 1 1/2 year past.

They advise the same.

Longer term holding of the menstrual fluids and tissue, though not a problem for all, are a severe and serious difficulties for 10 to 20% of women, for the reasons she said.

I also recently sat through depositions for a law case which dealt with proper, advisoral practice vs mal- practice from a Clinical SW, and the medical advice given was that though a small or less than 30% of women had no problems, it was folly to recommend doing so to the majority of women, due to the extremely high incidence of conditions (as she cited, and others) in which it was detrimental to the health of the women.

In other words - the people in the drug studies on long term pills, delays of periods for months, start by excluding the 30-50% of women for whom it is a bad idea. Then they exclude 5% more for rare conditions. After that, there are less than 5% who have problems.

Yes, I actually had to look up my notes for numbers.

Most women who have not had studies or intensive lab work done on bodily samples, really do not know. Being in the up to 35 -55% who should not do it, as in this law case, would be too high a possibility for me.

So unless you know from lab work from a test or D&C or laparoscopy that you have no problems, the conservative approach is, allow the elimination of menstrual blood and tissue in cycles less than 40 days. This extrudes any problem.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADK88. Show ADK88's posts

Peronsal Question

Ladies, why don't you fight about it - Jerry Springer Thanksgiving Special style!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Peronsal Question

ok, I have to jump in here.

Yes, continuous cycling of OCPs is often used for endometriosis.

There is no harm to skipping the placebos for a month or two however, you may get break through bleeding. The problems to which most are referring is when OCPs are given to women who have undiagnosed irregular vaginal bleeding, particularly women over 35. In this situation problems such as endometrial cancer or hyperplasia can worsen with the addition of ocps.

Ocps in general increase the risk for blood clots (although less so than if you are pregnant) so you should always keep this in mind.

That being said, for healthy people there is no evidence that skipping a cycle on occasion is harmful.

Of course you may want to speak with your doctor.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from julper. Show julper's posts

Peronsal Question

Hi CT - I know what you mean although I'm not over 35, I don't even remember how old I was when I first got my period. I know exactly what season it was though! I was at crosscountry ski championships with my dad... had horrible cramps and could not finish the race. Tried to lie to my dad about what was happening although I did tell a teammate and her mom. Her mom got me some pads and told my dad what was going on. ugh what a bad time to be away from your mother!

I always started the pill on Sunday and got my period on Wednesday. So it wasn't always finished by the weekend but I kind of liked getting it on Wednesday because it was so predictable, and at least it wasn't Saturday!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from clm77. Show clm77's posts

Peronsal Question

I'm sure this has been answered already, and the first thing to do is to CALL YOUR DOCTOR, but I will tell you that after consulting with my doctor, I skip my periods with my BC all the time. There's no reason you have to get your period every month. I probably skip it every other time or so, whenever I feel like it. With my pills, I just go straight from week 3 into a new week 1. It's the same concept as those 4x-a-year pills like Seasonale (sp?).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

Peronsal Question

I always take the placebos, because if I don't then I get out of the habit and that can lead to more issues down the road :)

Talk to your doctor but they will probably assure you it is ok, but they will know your complete history and make sure it is right for you. My doctor said it is AOK for me, but she didn't want to prescribe Seasonal because it is generally a higher co-pay and it is the same as the regular monthly BC pills. So I get my three month supply and skip the placebo week for two of the three packets. And it generally works out but I also have a RX to take to the CVS if I need it, because my RX insurance will only pay so much via mail order, but if I get the extra a CVS they seem to be fine with it. Very bizarre but I digress.

The first month I went on it and since I have not had any break through bleeding. I was hoping to have shorter periods but they are just as long. The cramps are better and it is very nice to know exactly when it is going to happen and that it will only be 4 times a year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sarahbth. Show sarahbth's posts

Peronsal Question

There are many formulations for the pill, so sometimes that alone can make a huge difference, and a generic discuassion can end up like one person discussing how good fruit is for pie (apples, berries) while the other thinks, fruit for pie (oranges, cantaloupe)? You have got to be kidding.

Endometriosis is treated with some formulas of the pill that allow very little tissue growth during the cycle, and where the tissue may be in some locations.

But for many women, the out of place endometrial tissue is way out of place, from near the fallopian tubes, to outside the uterous in the general abdominal cavity, can be pressing against nerves, on circulatory vessels to kidneys, etc. A nd formulations of the pill that person may tolerate might allow for a lot of tissue growth. So for this condition, this pill, this woman- by the 35 to 40th day, never mind 60, the woman may be in such extreme pain she is rushed in for appendix surgery??? and really, she was simply following friends advice on how to skip a period or change her cycle dates.

So yes, some women on any pill and many women on most pills, can get away with it now and then, or often. But, knowing more than 10 percent and up to 35% of women can have disastrous results (depending on their condition and the pill) or simply undesireable ones (bleeding, nausea, painful cramps for 5 to 15 days)

> it is not reasonable, general advice for all women, especially those who have never had workups, and may have no info from their doctor. Lovely honeymoon if you end up in the hospital in Papua New Guinea over your honeymoon.

But setting aside an extra month's pills, and adding a couple pill days each cycle, so you take 23, 24 or 25 then none or placebos a week - that is as close to risk and side effect free as you can get.

So I (and Wag) never said skipping periods is categorically a bad thing.
    Only that if you are doing it for mere convenience, there are ways safe for most everyone involving a few days shift per month, and ways that are risky for way too many people. Why advocate risk taking with reproductive health?