Greater Boston bicyclists - love 'em or hate 'em?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCEditor. Show BDCEditor's posts

Greater Boston bicyclists - love 'em or hate 'em?

Do you bike often and face the rage of local drivers? Are you the one behind the wheel trying to pass one of those bicyclists who refuses to ride close enough to the curb to allow you to easily pass? Share your road tales and thoughts on bikes vs. cars in Greater Boston!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from teadempc. Show teadempc's posts

Re: Greater Boston bicyclists - love 'em or hate 'em?

Most ride double or triple and refuse to move over for cars.Many ignore the traffic rules, I hate em.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from woodentoy05. Show woodentoy05's posts

In response to teadempc's comment:

Most ride double or triple and refuse to move over for cars.Many ignore the traffic rules, I hate em.

That's it in a nut shell! Couldn't agree more.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Zeppi. Show Zeppi's posts

I agree with the above posts - They don't respect the rules of the road, ride around like they own the streets and nearly 100% of the time cause the accidents they are in.   They don't don't well anticipating a car's movements and are easily missed in blind spots.    I will say there ARE a very SMALL few cyclists who obey the rules and have good safety practices/behaviors but the majority think they're pedestrians with wheels and they have the right of way... and they don't.   My heart goes out to the family of those who've been injured or even killed.. but to say  their rights aren't being recognized is absurd.  The Boston and Boston MetroWest area is no place for cyclists.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from commonsence22. Show commonsence22's posts

Both are at fault, however, I see the bicyclists violating safe driving and rules of the road more often than automobile drivers.  I am a resident of Boston and walk the city quite often.  I have also driven the city and you have to always watch and be aware of bicyclists more so than pedestrians because they don't obey the rules of the road and safe bicycling. Bicyclists move much faster than pedestrians so there is less time to react to them also both driving and walking.  More will be hurt with an ever increase in bicyclists.  The city (Boston) and even the suburbs are not designed for safe bicycling.  I am also a bicyclists.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from boblat. Show boblat's posts

The immediate question in a bicycle accident, true or not, is what kind of a stupid thing did that bicyclist do now?

Traffic laws are not meaningfully enforced in New England.  As a result a very large number of our drivers would be thrown off the road in many parts of the world and a significant percentage of our pedestrians are not fit to be trusted with their own lives.

An apparent majority of our bicyclists look like they are doing their best to combine the worst aspects of drivers and pedestrians.

Organized bicyclists must get off the "all rights and no responsibilities" bandwagon.  Disgust with bicyclists will be an automatic reaction whenever there is an accident because the automatic reaction is to assume the obvious.

I am a well established bicyclist with frequent major long distance commuting under my belt.  My biggest threat on the road, as terribly bad as so many drivers are, is my fellow and extremely irresponsible bicyclists. 

But the real, immediate, problem is a tradition of corruption in traffic matters among too many cops.  A cop who will not obey traffic laws will not pull in bicyclists, pedestrians or drivers who are no worse than the cop.

This is part of a tradition in which apparently all entities responsible for traffic management certainly look like they are incompetent and indifferent toward the nightmare which is New England traffic.

But the bicyclists are by far the worst.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from my2003hog. Show my2003hog's posts

In response to Muddy's comment:

BEHOLD!!!

People in this state don't pay attention to yield signs, do not know the meaning of the word "merge," think it's just fine to cruise in the left lane (the left lane is for PASSING), and think it's mandatory to NOT use your signal lights.   They can't stay off their phones long enough to notice motorcycles so what makes you think they're going to respect a bicyclist?  Even when paying attention is free.

I agree. At least a motorcycle can add loud pipes so that drivers can get some notice that the motorcycle is close by. Perhaps the bicyclists can do the same thing and get an old baseball card and a clothes pin and attach it the front wheel.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kikosmom. Show Kikosmom's posts

They blow through traffic lights and stop signs without looking.  They scare the heck out of me driving in Cambridge as I never know where they are coming from - some do not use lights or relectors in the dark and don't seem to realize they cannot always be seen.  There seem to be more irresponsible than responsible riders.  Many do drive in the middle of the road impeding vehicles - then fly through the red light in the intersection leaving the cars they slowed down behind. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rac111. Show rac111's posts

Driving to work this morning at 6am, i saw 4 bike riders pedal through 4 red lights without even slowing down.  Happens all the time

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from code1. Show code1's posts

I am both a motorist and a bicyclist.   Let's see--what is it like from the perspective of a bicyclist?   Motorists (i) regularly exceed the speed limit with impunity, (ii) do not use turn signals, (iii) pass bicyclists without giving sufficient space, (iv) make right turns into the path of moving bicyclists, (v) do not stop at stop signs, (vi) use their horns to express frustration and anger rather than to warn of danger, (vii) text, read and send emails while driving, (viii) park and stand in the few bicycle lanes that exist in Boston, (ix) run red lights, and (x) have a sense of entiltement to the road that results in bullying of both bicyclists and pedestrians.    The attitudes that are posted on this website by so many motorists just confirm the point.   The level of bigotry towards a class of persons that most motorists do not belong to is just extraordinary--somehow, the class that you do not belong to is responsible for all of the world's problems.   If you could only eliminate bicyclsts, rtaffic would flow smoothly.   There would be no congestion or delays.   Motorists would not be waiting for two sequences of a traffic light.   Parking spaces would be abundant.   Motorists would get to work in half the time.   

We desparately need an ad campaign in this city reminding people--bicyclists are not a subhuman class of people who deservie to be mowed down because you are in a rush, or are impatient, or are frustrated because there is so much traffic.   The bicyclist is your co-worder, your student, your parent, your son, your child, your neighbor.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from boblat. Show boblat's posts

In response to code1's comment:

I am both a motorist and a bicyclist.   Let's see--what is it like from the perspective of a bicyclist?   Motorists (i) regularly exceed the speed limit with impunity, (ii) do not use turn signals, (iii) pass bicyclists without giving sufficient space, (iv) make right turns into the path of moving bicyclists, (v) do not stop at stop signs, (vi) use their horns to express frustration and anger rather than to warn of danger, (vii) text, read and send emails while driving, (viii) park and stand in the few bicycle lanes that exist in Boston, (ix) run red lights, and (x) have a sense of entiltement to the road that results in bullying of both bicyclists and pedestrians.    The attitudes that are posted on this website by so many motorists just confirm the point.   The level of bigotry towards a class of persons that most motorists do not belong to is just extraordinary--somehow, the class that you do not belong to is responsible for all of the world's problems.   If you could only eliminate bicyclsts, rtaffic would flow smoothly.   There would be no congestion or delays.   Motorists would not be waiting for two sequences of a traffic light.   Parking spaces would be abundant.   Motorists would get to work in half the time.   

We desparately need an ad campaign in this city reminding people--bicyclists are not a subhuman class of people who deservie to be mowed down because you are in a rush, or are impatient, or are frustrated because there is so much traffic.   The bicyclist is your co-worder, your student, your parent, your son, your child, your neighbor.

Getting very close, but look at the traffic control devices.

Boston keeps one way streets secret from those who are driving on them by not posting one way signs where they are required, at the BEGINNING of EVERY one way block.  This is Boston's method of protecting wrong way drivers.

Look at the electronic signs above the super highways telling people not to travel in the left lane except when passing.  The law is keep right except when passing.  The right lane is the travel lane.  The second lane is only to be used when passing the right lane.  The third lane is only to be used when passing the first two.  And the fourth lane . . .  Telling people it is ok to block traffic in lanes two and three but respect the other guy in lane four is a very obvious symptom of not knowing how to drive.

People should not be managing traffic who do not know how to drive.

Then look at the registry's driving manual.  Jaywalking is encouraged.  The law is to slow down for jaywalkers.  The manual says yield.  Tailgating is encouraged.  The law is to keep safe distances all around you.  The manual says pull over and yield to drivers who should be thrown off the road because they are too stupid to keep a sane distance.

Irresponsible driving directions in the Registry's driving manual is far more effective in making our roads dangerous than can be reversed by spending a lot of money telling people to drive sanely when the Driving Manual is rewarding jaywalkers and tailgaters.

Cops who will not obey traffic laws should not be driving let alone enforcing laws. 

Etc., etc., the traffic management system is corrupt at its core.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarketSurfer. Show MarketSurfer's posts

both drivers and bicylists don't follow traffic laws completely, that's a given.  however, without equal punishment, resentment builds agains the other.  human behavior.  so to start the process of equality, bicyclists have to be more closely monitored and fined.  however, drivers leaving the scene of an accident is not excuseable, and manslaughter should have been returned in this particular case. . .  the world is full of risks, and the laws can't outlaw human mistakes, or carelessness. . .

caveat emptor for all, not matter what the endeavor. . .

sportsguy

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rocketman818. Show rocketman818's posts

In response to code1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I agree that both motorist and bicyclist have issues.  It is really the person behind the wheel or bike but i definitely see that a ton of bicyclists ignore the laws much more than drivers do.  Bicyclists weave in and out of tight traffic.  Run red lights constantly.  Have you ever seen a bicyclist yield to people in a crosswalk? LOL..It never happens.  Bicyclists think they have a right to the crosswalk as well.  One thing i don't understand is this.  Riding a bicycle is more dangerous than a car.  This is obvious yet people on bicycles think they are indestructable.  They have this attitude at times like "well if i get hit i will sue" You will be dead stupid!!  All the more reason bicyclists should obey the laws for their own protection.  Does that mean they will never get hit? Of course not but have some common sense...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Safebike. Show Safebike's posts

I am a responsible bicyclist. I do obey the rules of the road. I have seen other bikers travel

In packs, go thru red lights etc.But it doesn't mean that all the bicyclist do that kind of 

Misbehavior. Everyday I look out for other motorist, the roads and people getting out of

their cars. I have seen motorist while driving, talking on their cell phones! Which means

They are not paying attention; which is annoying. As time goes on, there will be more

Bike paths and much more bicyclist. There are some of us who do obey the rules of the

road. Let us try to be more tolerant of each other.

E

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kornkicks16. Show kornkicks16's posts

I walk to work every morning and have had had many close calls - almost being hit by bicyclists running red lights for the sake of "keeping up their momentum" while I have a walk sign. Also, stay off the sidewalks! No surprise a lot of them get in accidents if they will not obey the laws set out for their safety. Ride right or stay off the bikes, people.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 998Suzuki. Show 998Suzuki's posts

Love bicycling, nothing against cyclists in Metro Boston - they've already got enough going against them. The roads and streets in Massachusetts, particularly in Metro Boston, are pushed to the limit trying to accomodate motor vehicle traffic. I know; I drive them daily. Encouraging bicyclists to use them is dangerous, naive, and wholly irresponsible, no matter how well-intentioned. It is simply a case of trying to fit another object - one of considerablly less capability and mass - into already crowded roads. Doing so begins with the dumbest assumption of all: Boston drivers are going to be courteous and yield to the cyclists.

Having said all that, I am a huge fan of bicycling, I love my bicycle and ride it all the time. But if cyclists think there is going to be a sea-change in the safety proposition of riding bikes on the streets of Metro Boston, they are delusional. That's no more likely than having a traffic-free automobile commute into town on a weekday morning. We are not Portland, Oregon or someplace else where space abounds and is there for the taking at reasonable prices. We are built to capacity and there is no more room to widen roads, create bike lanes, and the like. I recommend riding on the sidewalk. Seriously.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wireman. Show wireman's posts

After decades of being a cyclist the people I talk to with the most problems with  cyclist are unfit, unheathy people that never exercise. I think deep down they know they should be riding to.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from magoogle. Show magoogle's posts

Forgive my sarcasm here, but to all the "drivers" who are so greatly inconvenienced by "cyclists."  I am sorry that you won a social/economic lottery and get to own a car, most likely have a roof over your head every night when you go to bed.  I am sorry that you probably get enough to eat, and have access to clean drinking water.   I am sorry you live in a first world country.  It is such an injustice to be slowed down on your way to Starbucks?  Life is hard.

Can any drivers correctly answer this question?  How many mph over the speed limit are you legally allowed to drive?  Think about that one and then tell me who disobeys the law more "cyclists" or "drivers"

Oh, and for those who are interested in labels.  I am a "pedestrian".