Valentine's Day nightmare stories

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

Have you had an awful, funny, or nightmarish Valentine's Day date? Tell us your best stories!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kathw. Show kathw's posts

Whoa! Please tell me you dumped him! Please!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nkol. Show nkol's posts

I really hope you dumped that fool.�

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from choads. Show choads's posts

My idea of a Valentine's Day nightmare is having to listen to a city full of people bitching about it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nautic3727. Show nautic3727's posts

Did you hit back?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lindonderry. Show lindonderry's posts

Could not agree more.�� There is nothing like getting all dressed up for V-day and going out to a fancy place for dinner with thousands of other�lemmings�at the same time and waiting 1 hour for a lousey dinner with terrible service.� I've been through this in more than one occasion.� Look, if you want to have a nice night, then rent a good movie, and cook a nice dinner and relax at night.� Though I like the previous posters idea of ordering KFC

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from trottier. Show trottier's posts

�In 1964, I got home on leave , after being gone about a year. I got into town the 13th, and next day headed home, decided, to get some nice roses and stuff, for a former girlfriend, who was my best girl I ever had, and we got along great. I found out she was still single, so went to her house, her mother answered the door, smiled at me, when I said is judy home, (not good), sat down, and in came judy, 6 months pregnant and looking like a blimp. I said hello, and gave her the gifts, we had a nice chat, and I left, never know about such things, until it happens, we still� keep in touch, and she still talks about, my valentine surprise, lol

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nessalator. Show nessalator's posts

That is a nice fiction. You had me going there for quite a while. But I know it's a story because why would you drink and drive? Or EVEN WORSE ? Have bail to spring a man from jail if he isn't your husband? Wouldn't jail have been a better place for him?

: )
    N

by the way, DIAMONDGIRL you should totally try checking out the odds and ends section of boston.com it's great.
    Just some free advice that you did not ask for.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jovichick985. Show jovichick985's posts

I don't think you paid a tremendous amount of attention to the story - the writer went to the ATM for cab fare and bail money for herself, incase she got arrested while disturbing the peace.

Fiction or not, it's a crappy VDay but that would have felt great to get revenge.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

the part that i dont get is that 1. she was such a great girlfriend... yet 2. she's the type of person to get drunk at a bar and go smash up the person's car...�����

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

I have a Valentine's Birthday too, and my story is more funny than a nightmareA few years ago, a friend wanted to set me up on a blind date with a friend of hers... we spoke on the phone a few times, decided we would go out, and tried to sort out a day.� He had a ski house and was away most weekends, I was in grad school part time in addtion to my day job, and tied up a couple of evenings a week, so available nights were limitied.So we agreed on Valentine's Day (I didn't mention it was also my birthday, poor guy didn't need that on top of it all)� We had a nice dinner in the North End and then he took me to a X-rated hypnotist!!� Talk about awkward!� Not sure it would have been my thing, even with a bunch of good friends, but I thought it was a pretty funny first date.Needless to say, things didn't work out with that guy, or I'd be telling you about my husband - who will be cooking me dinner at home again, at my request :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

I could swear we dated the same guy except mine didn't have children because he was in love with his mother!���

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from observer12. Show observer12's posts

Valentine's Day is for women, or as an ex once told me 'there are two days that as a woman you cannot stand to be single - New Years and Valentine's.'

As a guy, we tend not to care unless we are motivated to have a reason to do so (e.g. a woman expecting us to provide the moon and the stars to demonstrate our love to her) since it tends to a. be expensive b. require an inordinate amount of time and planning that MUST surpass itself each year and c. the risk of doing the wrong thing may provoke the behavior previously described herein that can best be described as irrational.

I'm going to be single this V-Day for only the second time or so about a decade or so and am really looking forward to enjoying myself.� Second best night of the year to go out.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from donalcoomey. Show donalcoomey's posts

My wife and I always celebrate Valentine's a week early or a week later.� Why waste all that money on a night better reserved for teenagers and moon eyed college kids.� We are adults and understand the true meaning of love, romance and a budget, and of course the respect and attention of a restaurant that is isn't obliged to meet everyone's skyhigh expectations on what is primarily a Hallmark Holiday aimed at hormone struck, cliched and culturally conforming schmucks.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from chunky. Show chunky's posts

Valentine's Day 2001...I was just getting over being sick for nearly a week.I was really looking forward to a night out with the new woman in my life. I left my apartment to pick her up and had some serious gas pains on the way, so I let a couple go�during the drive�to her place. Windows down and cold of course. All was well once I picked her up.As we pull into the restaurant parking lot, there go the gas pains again. Oh no, I'm thinking... So, we park and I run over to her side and open the door for my princess. We were about 200 feet from the door of the restaurant, so I devised a plan to avoid a miserable night of gas pains.I walk my princess about halfway to the door of the restaurant and then pretend that I left something in the car. I tell her not to move, I'll be right back. I run back to the car with full intention of relieving the pains that angst me. Then, I figured, all would be well.I get back to the car and sit in the drivers seat with one foot in and one out.�All the while pretending to look for something I left in the car. I knew I had to rid myself of this gas and quick. So, I gave it a little extra heave to get back with my princess.Let's just say, things didn't turn out too well. The gas pain wasn't exactly "just gas". I had just sharted on Valentine's Day. My beautiful future bride just 100 feet away on our first real date.I figured I'd try to play this one out... I returned to my princess and quickly slicked into the restaurant men's room. Ditched the skivies and had a great night.�

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Please tell me why Valentine's Day is such a big thing. Flowers cost 10times as much that day. The restaurants are overbooked with overworkedwaiters and waitresses and food is either undercooked or overcooked.Sometimes they have a "special" Valentine's menu -- way overpriced forsomething which is usually on their regular menu.
    My husband once did buy me the ridicoulously priced flowers and he didtake me out to� mediocre meals at very expensive restaurants. ButIMO it is a Hallmark day, it is a day made up by the merchants.
    My husband "celebrates" me every day of the year. He bring me flowersunexpectedly. We go out to eat, whenever I feel down or tired - or justfor no reason at all.
    This year - again - I will cook his favorite dinner. We will share anice bottle of wine and maybe we will watch an old movietogether.� And I have put my foot down - no flowers THAT day. Thishas worked for us for 40 years. Hope a have many more Valentine's Dayto share w/ him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from eemac32. Show eemac32's posts

V-day is too much of a big time spending deal.� I actually love being single on V-day because there is no pressure and no disappointment and I take advantage of that day to send cards to my little nephews, parents, and other people in my life that I love.� It's a nice thought to celebrate V-day with a special someone but it's also a day to recognize those in your life who you love (in not a romantic way) too!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

eemac

--but it'salso a day to recognize those in your life who you love (in not aromantic way) too!---

THAT I agree with!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shellb. Show shellb's posts

This one wasn't THAT bad, but it wasn't great.I had only been with my boyfriend for a month and a half when V-day came along, so we weren't sure how big of a deal to make of it.� But we decided to go out for dinner.� During the day I emailed him to see what time plans were for, and he said he was swamped and hadn't had a chance to make a reservation.� So after probing him for thoughts on where to go, I agreed to make the reservation.�� I was new to Boston and didn't really know places, and made a reservation at Chez Louis (this was 2000) not knowing it was quite so fancy.�� When I met up with my boyfriend, I had gifts and a card for him, and he had nothing for me.� No big deal, I thought, lets just go out to dinner.� When we got near the place, he freaked out because of the cost and actually yelled at me for choosing that place.� So I thought fast and ran into a different restaurnt on Newbury that had no wait and we ate there.�� So the night was saved, but a pretty miserabe process over all.� And he felt bad enough over it that he got me flowers the next day.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mddong. Show mddong's posts

What about BEST Valentines day stories???? Should we start a discussion board about that or would that be too cheesy?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from trublusu. Show trublusu's posts

Back in the 80's, when I was in my early 20's, I had a boyfreind who I was madly in love with�break up with me a few days before Valentine's. Needless to say I was heartbroken and overdramatic about it being young and all. My parents felt really bad for me so they took me out to dinner with them on Valentine's to Benihana - one of those Japanese places where they� chop and cook everything in front of you. Anyway, the cook was chopping and cooking and he flipped�a big wad of hot grease into my eyeball.��I had to go to the emergency room and had to wear a patch over my burned eye for weeks. The restaurant staff didn't even apologize.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmo14. Show cosmo14's posts

Saw this movie already. I wonder if a rabbit got boiled and�you told him "I won't be ignored".A woman once told he that while trying to break up. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up. Scary stuff but I guess they are out there.When someone is not right for you, move on. I'm sure you were on the other end many times and hopefully the person did not seek out revenge on you.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from youngparisians. Show youngparisians's posts

�BAD BOYFRIEND CONFESSION

I was a bad boyfriend on a Valentine's Day - i think this was 1997? My girlfriend and I had broken up the previous September but had begun talking about the 'on-again' phase in early January. She came down from NH with another couple to a see a show in Cambridge on V-Day (dressed up, etc). I said I'd be there and in her mind this would have been a symbolic and romantic moment to 'get back together'.

Needless to say I didnt show up.� Needless to say she was p*ssed! Needless to say her friends disowned me. But she didnt. We got back together 4 months later and I spent the rest of the year making up it up to her - she made sure of it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ryan2228. Show ryan2228's posts

My story involves my high school sweetheart that I dated seriously for 5 years.� We had talked about a future together and I thought about proposing within the next year or so.� How naive I was...I had just made the 2 hour ride home from my junior year in college to spend Valentine's Day with her.� I guess I should have taken the hint when I asked her where she wanted to go for dinner. "papa gino's" was her response.� How romantic...After she ate the pizza I bought her she proceeded to tell me that she thought of me more as a friend.� She was tired of being thought of as part of a couple and wanted to be by herself for a while.� I only spoke with her a couple of times�after that�but I know that she wasn't by herself very long. She was engaged within the year to someone.So I guess she ruined VDay for me. I'm not bitter though.� However, the wonderful woman that I married has a birthday a few days�after vday�and she couldn't care less about valentine's.� funny how things work out...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from natalie. Show natalie's posts

I was hit by a drunk, 21-year old driver who came out of nowhere as my boyfriend and I crossed the street to go into Valentine's Day dinner. I broke both legs, an arm, my jaw, my nose, and had moderate to severe head injuries. I have rods in both legs now and have lost my sense of smell. So, KFAI, some of us have some different memories of Valentine's Day and just because they don't involve some whining girlfriend or inconsiderate boyfriend don't make them any less worthy of this forum.
    And seeing as many of the people in this blog offer words of advice as to what to or not to do, here's my bit: Don't bi*ch and mo*n and cry about men or puff your chest out and declare how worthless women are and then go out for many drinks as a way to forget how lonely you are and then get behind the wheel and drive. I know I'll never forgot the sad bast*rd that almost ended my life because he was a pathetic, sad sack, but I promise you - the jerk boyfriend or the slutty girlfriend are easy to forget.