Should a Library be quiet?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Should a Library be quiet?

I work out of my home office.  Sometimes I like to take my laptop out and break up my day by going to the local library - it has a free WiFi network.  I proceed to the "quiet" section - as indicated by several "Quiet Please!" signs around the room.

I set my cell to vibrate and my laptop speakers are muted.  I sit silently and do my work.  Here's the problem: There are other "adults" in the same area of the library yelling across the room to each other in conversation! In my book this is nothing less than ignorant and disrespectful behavior.

I spoke with the front desk library workers and the Director of the library - I just wanted clarity as to what the quiet signs meant.  Could I use my cell phone in the library? Could I turn on my laptop speakers and listen to music while working?
    The response was - in part - "...there are some regulars here that think this [library] is their home." Huh? What?...Why would you let a "regular" think that?

So, my question is...are my expectations crazy? should a "posted quiet zone" be for yelling and coffee (they have a coffee machine too)?

I would understand the level of "yelling" in the children's section of the library, but grown adults(?)

What am I missing?

Undecided

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Re: Should a Library be quiet?

I think you have three, CHC, unless one is still closed for construction.

Libraries ceased being quiet places the moment cell phones came into the picture.

Coffee area of libraries should be permitted to have quiet talk.

Roger, I thought of taking my laptop to the library, too, since we only get 1 hour on the library's desktops. Do I need to bring a wireless router with me?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In Response to Re: Should a Library be quiet?:
    [QUOTE]I think you have three, CHC, unless one is still closed for contruction. Libraries ceased being quiet places the moment cell phones came into the picture. Coffee area of libraries should be permitted to have quiet talk. Roger, I thought of taking my laptop to the library, too, since we only get 1 hour on the library's desktops. Do I need to bring a wireless router with me?
    Posted by reindeergirl[/QUOTE]

If your laptop is WiFi enabled you can take it anywhere with WiFi (free or $)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

You all bring up a good point....cell phones in public

Ever been to a restaurant where there is some a**wh0le yelling into his cell, as if
    you want to hear what he has to say?

I'm buying a "scrambler" it kills cell signal wherever I am, nobody will get service within a certain distance around me.....silence!

http://www.ecrater.com/p/12782544/20dbm-output-portable-gsm-cdma

Gotta love technology!

Laughing

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanceWithMe71. Show DanceWithMe71's posts

Why would you need to use library computers anyhow unless you are hiding something?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Maldenlady. Show Maldenlady's posts

I like the idea of a *quiet* place to work/think/just enjoy a cup of coffee or whatever...sigh...I wish the libraries were that way...

My observatrion is that libraries have, to some degree, become babysitters.  I think parents would rather they be there than on the streets.  Kids go after school to -- yeah, right -- do their homework while their parents are still at work.  In fairness, some do work on their school assignments.  But others go there to socialize.  And that means noise.

I think a "quiet" zone should be enforced, and that kids/students who want to chat could go to some other area of the library.   But the idea of "inside voice" should be reviewed.

It amazes me, Roger, that these were adults.  Dang!  These are supposed to be the role models!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Regardless of the setting, library, restaurant, what have you, "Quiet please" signs ought to be respected.  If someone can read, they can respect the request or go somewhere else to be loud.  It's part of being in a civilized society.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

It depends on where you are in the library.  If you are in the children's room, it's not going to be super quiet.  If you are near the front desk or administrative section where people are doing work or checking out patrons, it's probably not an area where you can concentrate.

If you are in an area that says "Quiet, Please", then, yes, it should be reasonably quiet.  Quiet, not silent.  This means not speaking about a normal volume speaking voice, and preferably in a muted voice or whisper. 

I used to volunteer in a library and getting patrons to quiet down depended on where you were in the library and the age of the patron.  I will say that young kids and old people were the loudest.  The little ones don't know any better and the old people were hard of hearing. :-)  The only thing that the library staff can do is to remind patrons either verbally or by posting notices that the library is a quiet area.  There is really no way to 'enforce' the quietness.  Believe me, they do try.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

[QUOTE]It depends on where you are in the library.  If you are in the children's room, it's not going to be super quiet.  If you are near the front desk or administrative section where people are doing work or checking out patrons, it's probably not an area where you can concentrate. If you are in an area that says "Quiet, Please", then, yes, it should be reasonably quiet.  Quiet, not silent.  This means not speaking about a normal volume speaking voice, and preferably in a muted voice or whisper.  I used to volunteer in a library and getting patrons to quiet down depended on where you were in the library and the age of the patron.  I will say that young kids and old people were the loudest.  The little ones don't know any better and the old people were hard of hearing. :-)  The only thing that the library staff can do is to remind patrons either verbally or by posting notices that the library is a quiet area.  There is really no way to 'enforce' the quietness.  Believe me, they do try.
    Posted by ALF72[/QUOTE]

Please read the original post......

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Thank you, Roger.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

• In Response to Re: Should a Library be quiet?:
      [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should a Library be quiet? : Please read the original post......
      Posted by RogerTaylor[/QUOTE]

What makes you think I was replying only to you? Other people posted too. Your post asks "should a library be quiet".  It doesn't specify 'should only areas in a library that are posted as 'quiet please' be quiet'.  You ask a broad question, which I answered. That you want a particular answer or people to focus on one part of your post is irrelevant.  Yes, if there is a sign that says 'quiet please' it should be quiet and people shouldn't be yelling.  But it is a public place. If you want utter silence and the ability to control the volume, stay in your home office. 

No clue what your link is; I don't have time to click on and watch utube things. 

Most libraries do not allow food.  Not sure where the heck you are.  Go find a different library if you don't like the culture of the one you have been going to.

I can tell you that libraries are one of the first places that will experience budget cuts b/c they aren't deemed 'essential'.  They cut hours and staff.  So if the staff do what they can to make the 'regulars' happy b/c the 'regulars' are the type that will complaint to the city council [particularly if the noisy people you complain about are retirees], how can you blame them?  It could conceivably mean their jobs. I know this from personal experience [volunteering and I have a sibling who is a librarian].

If you have a particular issue w/ people not being quiet in a posted quiet area, don't be passive aggressive when you talk to the staff and the director. Asking 'what does that sign mean?  Cell phones on vibrate, etc?"  Go to the staff when it gets noisy and tell them, it is getting very noisy in this area. Can you please ask them to quiet down or move to a different area".  Or ask them to place fliers on each table w/ the 'rules and regulations' of the library if they don't want to be confrontational.  

ETA: FWIW, I did see your statement about kids yelling in the library in your origina post.  I can read. As I said, I was replying broadly to the query. Not sure why that got you all riled up.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In Response to Should a Library be quiet?:
    [QUOTE]I work out of my home office.  Sometimes I like to take my laptop out and break up my day by going to the local library - it has a free WiFi network.  I proceed to the "quiet" section - as indicated by several "Quiet Please!" signs around the room. I set my cell to vibrate and my laptop speakers are muted.  I sit silently and do my work.  Here's the problem: There are other "adults" in the same area of the library yelling across the room to each other in conversation! In my book this is nothing less than ignorant and disrespectful behavior. I spoke with the front desk library workers and the Director of the library - I just wanted clarity as to what the quiet signs meant.  Could I use my cell phone in the library? Could I turn on my laptop speakers and listen to music while working? The response was - in part - "...there are some regulars here that think this [library] is their home." Huh? What?...Why would you let a "regular" think that? So, my question is...are my expectations crazy? should a "posted quiet zone" be for yelling and coffee (they have a coffee machine too)? I would understand the level of "yelling" in the children's section of the library, but grown adults(?) What am I missing?
    Posted by RogerTaylor[/QUOTE]

You are not missing anything..the librarian should be enforcing the policies of the library. Telling you that some regulars think the library is their home is not an acceptable answer..the library is not their home..it is for public use. I don't know what to tell you other than to suggest possibly speaking to someone else at the library...or using a different library. I use 2 libraries on a fairly regular basis and never run into situations where people are behaving inappropriately for very long.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]Why would you need to use library computers anyhow unless you are hiding something?
    Posted by DanceWithMe71[/QUOTE]
    What an absolutely ridiculous comment...first of all..not everyone has internet access and second..the library is a public place that people enjoy. I spend several hours every week in libraries working on projects or doing research..occasionally I will use the library computer to work (surely you've heard of the concept of a flash drive) or to take a break and surf the net.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

My great-uncle died in the Boston Public Library, sitting up while reading a book. He was unemployed, living with my great-aunt. She got tired of him hanging around the house, doing nothing all day, so she suggested he spend time at the library. He'd go there and read every day. He died of natural causes, with a book in his hands.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I agree; that's a very odd comment made by someone who probabaly does have things to hide so assumes everyone else does, too.  We often project our shortcomings onto others.

I joined our library simply to use the computers because I was having internet problems at home; it took 2 months to get straightened out.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedFishBlueFish. Show RedFishBlueFish's posts

[QUOTE]Why would you need to use library computers anyhow unless you are hiding something?
    Posted by DanceWithMe71[/QUOTE]

Maybe because you've lost your job and had to cut out internet service, but still need it to search for a new job? Or you're still employed but had to cut out non-essential expenses and cable/internet were less important than, say, food and heat? Or you can't afford $1K for a new computer when your old one dies?

I'd assume all of those before thinking someone has something to hide.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should a Library be quiet? : Maybe because you've lost your job and had to cut out internet service, but still need it to search for a new job? Or you're still employed but had to cut out non-essential expenses and cable/internet were less important than, say, food and heat? Or you can't afford $1K for a new computer when your old one dies? I'd assume all of those before thinking someone has something to hide.
    Posted by RedFishBlueFish[/QUOTE]
    All true, good points.  In fact, I have a friend who just moved, and when he did, he cut his ISP to save money.   This might seem extreme to some people, but when you are pinching pennies, every penny counts.  He has computer usage at school and at his job, and that is enough.

Additionally -- public libraries, let alone academic and corporate, have fee-based services that are intrinsic to your access, that you do not have access to on your home computer.  This includes databases such as Nexis / Lexis, ABI/Proquest, Factiva, Hoover's, JSTOR, scholarly journals, the list is endless.   These are all licensed resources and cannot be accessed if you log on to the library website remotely.  

Of course, you may work for a company or are an employee or student at an academic institution that has all of these expensive access points at your disposal, otherwise, your public library is your entry way to countless resources that are fee-based; therefore, there are lots of reasons people go to the public library and none of them have a thing to do with hiding anything.  :)     

ETA: It took me several tries to get this to post -- the censorship filter is botched up (again) and would not tell me what word(s) I was using that were supposedly offensive (none of them were, BTW).   

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'd worry about dealing with anyone whose first assumption is that anyone using a library computer has something to hide.  I don't think that would even make my top 10 list of reasons.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedFishBlueFish. Show RedFishBlueFish's posts

It was a question. I offered plausible answers.

An opinion would have been expressed without a question mark, which generally implies an expectation of a response unless it is clearly rhetorical.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should a Library be quiet? : There is nothing odd about the above comment,  not everyone lives in Pollyannaville!  Besides it is her opinion,  you don't have to agree with it.
    Posted by dog-lady[/QUOTE]

She asked why would anyone use a library computer ... and some of us responded as to the myriad of reasons.  Hope this helps open his/her eyes as to the value of having library access to computers,  the online world of resources available and many of the other reasons they add value to the community.   No value judgement whatsoever to that poster.   Just an explanation.    :)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm sure she's responding to the idea that someone who automatically assumes others are being dishonest (when there are many more plausible reasons for their behavior) often means they are dishonest themselves.  To not understand that is to live in Polyanaville.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

I fondly (or not) remember librarians as middle-aged women, hair in a bun (probably with 50 cats at home), who could silence anyone with a snide look down over the rim of their glasses. In extreme cases a "shhhh" would fire from her and you could hear a pin drop. 
    And people think "girl power" is a new concept!

We should be training up more of these Victorian-esque ladies. Or perhaps they all got drafted to Iraq?

Thesedays librarians are all cyber-geeks or huggy-hippies and the like. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

[QUOTE]I'm sure she's responding to the idea that someone who automatically assumes others are being dishonest (when there are many more plausible reasons for their behavior) often means they are dishonest themselves.  To not understand that is to live in Polyanaville.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

I have just Googled and searched on Wikipedia "Polyanaville". Nothing.
    Can someone offer a definition of this mythical place?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedFishBlueFish. Show RedFishBlueFish's posts

Try Pollyanna alone. Then imagine a mythical place where everyone lives like that.