Warning to OKCupid users!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Warning to OKCupid users!!!

I know a few of you use online dating sites. I just read something online that really freaked me out.

OKCupid sent users' gender, age, zip, relationship status & 'drug use frequency' to companies that sell personal data in auctions.

You can read the full article here: http://on.wsj.com/qlw8Tz

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Maldenlady. Show Maldenlady's posts

Re: Warning to OKCupid users!!!

Whoa!  Thank you, pink kitty! 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Facebook has ads all over it. they don't sell your info to anyone else, they use it to sell advertising space to others. Why would they sell off their greatest asset?

but a dating site taking the information that users give them in order to find dates and turning around and selling it is pretty low. The FTC wants to get involved.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Maldenlady. Show Maldenlady's posts

OAMLFO -- I know...just google yourself!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

In Response to Re: Warning to OKCupid users!!!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Warning to OKCupid users!!! : ....I agree with Slim, never for a second believe that your personal information is private when posting anything, anywhere on the internet. I have done a lot of research on this for class work and know first hand how easy it is for someone to track you down.
    Posted by OAMLFO[/QUOTE]

someone tracking you down and someone making money off the personal information you give them in good faith are two very different things.

As a marketer, I know for a fact that you can't buy this information from Facebook, because if it was possible, we'd be buying. Companies like Facebook and Google hang onto user information and use it as leverage. If they sold it off, they wouldn't be able to charge as much for their targeted ad services. Until targeted advertising goes out of style- which is highly unlikely as it's vastly more effective than other channels- that's the way it's going to be. I'd rather give my information to a company that won't sell it to anybody else. It's just bad business to do so. If you sell your information, then almost anyone can get access to it and it loses its value.

the whole "track you down" thing has always been an issue. When I was a kid, if you had someone's name or phone number you could track them down very easily, you just used the phone book.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Maldenlady. Show Maldenlady's posts

I know...I'm even skeptical of the whole hpps vs. hpp thing...even banks have been hacked...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

[QUOTE]....I get that they are two different things, my point is that anyone could make money off your information if they wanted to. It is up to you to not put it out there in the first place if you are worried about it. You may not be able to buy it off Facebook per say, but what about all the apps via Facebook? People give out more information than they are even aware of. The key to internet safety is personal responsibility. Do not put your trust in something just because it claims it is secure or that it will not sell your information. Most companies will send out change in TOS, long after you have given your information out.
    Posted by OAMLFO[/QUOTE]

all of the apps on Facebook ask you immediately if you want to allow them access to your information or not. If someone's not aware of what that means then they're incredibly stupid.

but what I posted about is an online dating site that sells user information. it's kind of hard not to give a dating site information, that's how you find matches.
    that kind of deception is pretty despicable, which is why the FTC is getting involved.

If I'm using Facebook to get in touch with friends and family, I have no reason to give relationship status, location, all my likes and dislikes, etc. These are people I already know and they probably know all that stuff already.
    But on a dating site, that information is pretty crucial to getting a date because these other people don't know who you are. A user doesn't have much of a choice.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Warning to OKCupid users!!! : ...they actually do have a choice, do not use the site. Try old fashioned methods of finding a date. There is no need to lay out so much personal data on a dating site in the first place, you would have to be foolish to even think of doiing that.
    Posted by OAMLFO[/QUOTE]

Um, I would think gender, age, relationship status and location are pretty important if you're looking for a date, and at least two or three interests or hobbies. Who's going to respond to a profile with no indication of gender, location, relationship status or interests?
    And for a lot of people, finding a date the old fashioned way doesn't work. One in three marriages are a result of online dating. Clearly it works. In this day and age it's not appropriate to date your co-workers at a lot of comapnies, and it's harder to meet people once you're over 25 and don't go out as much. Not to mention people who already have kids and are looking for someone who hardly have the time to go to singles events.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

[QUOTE]I've heard that FB does a terrible job vetting apps.  Their API has undergone an overhaul recently.  I don't know if it's better now,  but you'd have to be crazy to accept anything they tell you at face value.  Even if it's all true they have made it difficult to lock down information and a cynic like myself believes they made it difficult intentionally.   And just b/c they wouldn't sell info to your particular business doesn't mean someone else didn't make a sweeter offer that they couldn't refuse.  My main point in this thread is that you can worry about what sites are doing with your info, or you can let it go.   But picking one site as safe and another as not safe is ludicrious.  Once you hit FB you pretty much ceded  your right to privacy. If taking them at face value let's you sleep at night, great. If you think clicking a few privacy buttons gives you real privacy, great.   But you're being a bit naive.
    Posted by SlimPickensIII[/QUOTE]

My original post wasn't even about Facebook for crying out loud!

This is about a DATING site selling the information their users give them. With Facebook, you don't need to list your gender, age, or even your real name. You don't need to get any apps, I certainly don't.
    But on a DATING site like OKCupid- the site I was actually posting about- a user is compelled to give a great deal more information than he or she might on any other site, such as Facebook.

I was just letting anyone who might use OKCupid know that they sell information. If you don't use it, then there's nothing here for you, move along.

I never said they were the only one that sells information. In fact, if you click through to the article you'll see a few sites listed that sell information.

And I don't trust Facebook. They just don't have to sell information to make money off of it. I'm not naive, I've been studying social media in depth for years and I know who sells information off to the highest bidder, and who hoards it so that they can make money being a gate keeper. This is not "what they tell me" this is legal documentation filed with the FTC. It's not a matter of how much money they're offered. They HAVE to refuse.
    Now, third party apps that sell your information are just that - third parties. They are not Facebook. They pay Facebook to have their app on there, and if users accept their- entirely separate- terms of agreement, they can legally sell your information.
    I don't give all my personal info to Facebook. I don't use any apps except for Twitter.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

So I picked up a copy of this months Popular Science magazine for a trip this past weekend. Here is a direct quote (page55):

"For the past 2 years, the four Harvard graduates behind the dating site OkCupid have been studying user data for insight into human behavior and sharing the results publicly. The site has 7 million active members, each of whom answers an average of 200 personal questions. In the process of messaging, chatting, exchanging photos, searching for each other, and winking at one another, they generate billions of data points that the company mines to study some often-delicate issues. Many of the findings are posted on the OkTrends blog, and some should make us uncomfortable: Black women reply to messages more frequently than any other demographic, but they receive the fewest responses from members of every race, including other black people. In contrast white men receive more responses than members of any other group, yet they respond to women 20 percent less often than non-white men do. Not all the findings are quite so heavy. Want to know what works in profile pictures and first-contact messages? If you're a guy, be self-effacing; if you're a woman, choose conversation-worthy photos over cleavage shots."

Anyhow, I think it seems well-known that the people running this site like to play around with peoples' data. Why not sell it? Its not like they sold the names according to the initial post. Age and zip does not sound too bad. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Warning to OKCupid users!!! : As far as I can tell, you're on about 'deception'.  Did you read okcupid's privacy statement before you started?  Seems to me they're up front about where they're coming from: http://www.okcupid.com/privacy They're telling you exactly how they collect it, and what they do with it. Why doesn't your defense of Facebook up top here ("they're incredibly stupid") not apply to Okcupid too?  I'm going to comment on another part of your ... position, whatever it is, in a separate post.  Then I'll shut up.

I don't have an OKCupid account. I'm married. I've never been a part of any online dating site. I just know several posters here DO use online dating sites. I shared this information to alert anyone here who might be an OKCupid member.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Warning to OKCupid users!!! : I find the above fascinating.  Presumably you're just leaving a minimal, positive sales pitch. Period.  If you're posting alot of heavy personal info, that would be a red flag to me.  (I did online dating for a few months.  Found my fiancee in fact, on match.com) . I'm trying not to badger you too much, but what's the distinction here? I'm not seeing whatever you think you're seeing.  You seem to be saying that you're giving more information to strangers on a dating site than you share with friends and family on FB.

the important info, the info that can be identifying- birth date, gender, religion (if any), location, etc.
    that's essential to an online dating profile.

you don't have to put any of that information on Facebook. Your friends and family already know your brith date, gender, location, etc.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

[QUOTE]...now I am confused, is it the matter of personal information being shared or that someone made a buck off of the information and someone is feeling slighted?
    Posted by OAMLFO[/QUOTE]

the issue is that a dating site, by nature, requires users to share more personal information than another site where they are interacting with people they know offline.
    therefore, the users are in a more vulnerable position. To profit off of that vulnerability is somewhat unethical, which is why the FTC is getting involved.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I just shared some information I thought some people might find useful. I don't see why I'm being given the 3rd degree about it. I didn't write the story or conduct the investigation or call the FTC.

If you have more questions as to why it would be unethical, you can call the FTC. I'm through here.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Check out spokeo.com too!  Scary stuff, look yourself up!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukeseri58. Show lukeseri58's posts

omg -- i just looked myself up on spokeo -- that is scary

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Regarding Spokeo,  there are many similar sites and new ones popping up all the time, don't waste your time and money trying to have your stuff removed/blocked it just retuns later ... public information.  Often the information is incorrect anyway!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

I thought my brother's last name was uncommon. I once looked him up on various sites - there are tons with his name, age, state, etc.! But I didn't search by ss#.

(I did a search with his name and age, because we both thought he was the victim of identity theft.)

Did you know others can find out your financial and legal history just by going to Banker and Tradesman?