Doing your own photo album

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Re: Doing your own photo album

I used mypublisher for the albums I made for my parents. They ended up being about 20 pages each. I went for the cloth cover with the cutout window. I was thrilled with the results and I know their software has gotten even better than when I used it 3 years ago. They have a lot of layout options, I tried to alternate between the two photo, four photo and single photo pages. I did one full double page spread and it came out awesome. The colors were great, the books have a nice expensive feel to them, and I know they've held up well for the past 3 years. Even the one at my MIL's house that's always on the coffee table. No discoloring or fading.
    Plus, they have 2 for 1 deals all the time, be sure to take advantage of that!

I still haven't made a photo album for DH & I Embarassed

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

There is an old thread (I think in Vendors) about making your own albums.  I posted because I wanted to make albums for our mothers.  The two sites that got the most recommendations were MyPublisher and Adoramapix. 

I couldn't seem to figure out Adoramapix, so I decided to give Snapfish a try and see how they turned out.  They were good enough, but not fabulous.  Since you've used MyPublisher before, I'm sure you can make something great!

The parents' albums I made were about 20 pages and had probably 60 photos.  You could do more, but for me it wasn't too hard to narrow them down.  I figured they didn't need to see 25 different photos of me and DH or of our friends!  They were really fun to make.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

I also just started working on ours. There was recently a good groupon deal for Photobook America so we're trying that out for our parents books first and then will decide on our own. The company also sent out emails with coupon codes for 45% off (AUG45US) and for a free book (2107AUG9) since I signed up last week so I'm guessing they typically have a lot of good deals. I haven't really done much with it but there seem to be quite a few options.

http://www.photobookamerica.com/

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shell7. Show Shell7's posts

I don't have any experience creating photo albums, but my friend uses artscow.com.  I'm not sure how it compares to the others mentioned here but it's worth a look.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from deniece881. Show deniece881's posts

I made travel albums to test out a bunch of sites and I liked My Publisher the best.  Snapfish was okay, and I really was disappointed in Shutterfly - it was very dark and I didn't care for the paper.

This is a great review of many of the photobook companies.  It's very long, but thorough.

http://www.digitalhomethoughts.com/news/show/97676/the-great-photo-book-round-up-review-who-makes-the-best-photo-books.html

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

That's a great review deniece posted!

I've used blurb and adoramapix, and seen shutterfly books too.
    Adoramapix had BY FAR best photo quality of those 3 vendors.  It was not the most intuitive software to use, but I figured it out without trouble.  

You can usually also upload your own page layouts from PDFs, if you are into graphic design and have already purchased good software for that.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

p.s. the executive summary of that review from deneice is great, but the info is slightly dated. You can now print 76 page books with adoramapix. (I don't know about mpix).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from deniece881. Show deniece881's posts

Yes, I would definately use the info in the review as a starting point.  I know My Publisher alone has upgraded their software a few times in the past year.  The quality information was very helpful to me. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

I just made a photobook to use as a guest book for our wedding.  I got a coupon code for a free book from Picaboo (new company, never heard of them before!).  The best part was you download the software to your computer so you don't have to upload all the pics (or have internet access to work on the book).  The software was really easy to use which I like.  I ordered my book Tuesday and I should have it early next week, so I'll let you know what the quality is like when I get it!

Here's the coupon code if anyone wants it: 

New Picaboo customers can receive a FREE Large Custom Photo Book when you use code FREEBK through August 31, 2010. The code is good for one 20-page Large Classic, Classic Leather, or Classic Custom photo book up to $39.99.

PS.  I really want to try Adorama at some point since I've heard their books are awesome!  I'd probably use them for my wedding album since they have actual flushmounted photos (rather than press printed) pages.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GK2bwed. Show GK2bwed's posts

Thanks everyone! I also liked reading the review too. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Uh oh, just read the review for Picaboo... I hope my book comes out okay!!!  I think it is sitting on my front step at home as we speak!

Deniece:  Thanks for posting that review site!  VERY useful!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

UPDATE:  I got my photobook from Picaboo and I loved it!  The paper for the pages is maybe a little thin, but the photos looked great and the printing on the front and back cover was very nice.  All in all, I it was great since with the coupon, it was very cheap.  I really liked how easy their software was to make the book.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Trex, a photo guestbook is such a good idea!  Wish I had thought of that!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Thanks Fram!  It came out really nice!  We left a little too much white space though so it looks a little empty after the wedding, but that's okay!  It kind of reminds me of my high-school yearbook (which gives me a big smile every time I read it!)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Trex, this is a good idea.  How did you do?  Just place pictures randomly and leave white spaces for people to sign or did you have a page of pictures with a blank page next to it?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

For mine, I just used layouts that left some white space on the pages.  So like using smaller photos or putting one in a corner and leaving the rest of the page blank.  I didn't do any fully blank pages because I didn't like the way it looked.  But like I said, I left too much white space, it looks a little empty.  :)  But I also had another thing for people to write on (wine bottles for wedding wishes, one to be opened after 1 year and the other after 10 years).  So I think people may have been overloaded with stuff to write!  Apparently the wine bottles are FULL (haven't seen them yet, my friends took them home to seal them so I can't peek until our anniversary!).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Trex
    The wine bottles are an original idea too.