How do you save the top layer?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from caringteacher. Show caringteacher's posts

How do you save the top layer?

I would like to save the top layer of the cake but I've heard from people that when they did it, it didn't work. Has anyone done it successfully, and if so, how did you do it?

3 weeks and 6 days to the wedding...not that I'm counting : )

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Re: How do you save the top layer?

I wrapped it in Saran wrap.  Then wrapped the box that it came with in saran wrap then aluminum foil.  We'll see what it tastes like in February.  My previous wedding, I didn't wrap it twice and it didn't taste very good, so I'm not sure what the final results will be.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I wrapped ours like Winter did, and it came out delicious a year later.  I was sure to ignore saving the beauty of the icing and smushed the plastic wrap tightly around the whole thing.  Then, I wrapped it tightly in 2 or 3 layers of aluminum foil.  The enemy of anything frozen is air.  So, forget toothpicks to hold the wrapping off the frosting, and remove decorations that you don't plan to eat - it will interfere with how tightly you can wrap it.

I found another piece that I didn't know existed (I forgot I had cut the top in half and stored it as 2 pieces) about 6 months later (18 months post-wedding) that had been wrapped the same way.  It was NOT good.  So, I think you have to eat it all at the year mark and if there's any leftover at that point, just toss it.

GL - you're in the home stretch, now!!

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissWolff. Show MissWolff's posts

I have to agree with Kar- wrap it ridiculously well and it will be fine. My German grandmother packaged mine. Her skill is packaging items like they are Fort Knox. 

I'm a little embarrassed to say that we never ate it on our first anniversary, so....we ate it on the second, about 2 weeks ago. The bottom was a little dry, but it was- delicious.  Amazing but true.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from simon08. Show simon08's posts

you may also want to check with the bakery where you are getting the cake, alot of them are now giving you a "top layer" cake on your anniversary so you can avoid saving the top layer.

we didn't save the top layer, I don't know it just didn't sound too appealing to eat a 1 year old cake, even though it was frozen.

congratulations and good luck!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

We did something similar to what simon is saying. We ordered a very small version of our cake from our wedding bakery for our 1st anniversary. It was definitely yummy!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: How do you save the top layer?:
    [QUOTE]No matter what you wrap it in, it's going to taste like a year-old piece of cake - horrible.  Use that space in your freezer for something else that you're actually going to want to eat and don't bother with the cake.
    Posted by some-guy[/QUOTE]

Mine was truly good after a year and yucky after 18 months.  A friend of ours had the same bakery (same venue's standard cake), and theirs was good after a year, too.  I think it has to do with the cake itself, how air tight the wrapping is, and how far aftere the wedding the cake is eaten.  I think a year is the max.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Well, my MIL was in charge of freezing the top layer for us, and I thought great, one less thing to do and she has one of those vacuum sealer things that will be great! When I looked in her freezer it was sitting in a huge ziplock filled with air. So we decided to eat it at 6mon. not the 1 year mark b/c after a year sitting like that it would not be good. Ours actually tasted pretty good, and still looked good too!
       I would wrap like the others suggest (saran and foil) and then put it in a ziplock with the air pushed out of it and it will be fine. My friend ate hers at 1 year and it still tasted great.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If I'd opened our Food Saver that we got for a wedding present in time I'd have used that to vacuum seal it, but by the time we opened presents the cake was already wrapped and frozen.

ajuly, it's a wonder your cake was good after 6 months in that bad wrapping job.  Shame on your MIL for being so sloppy with it!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

My baker was very clear with us to absolutely NOT save our top layer. She was crazy about using fresh ingredients (to the point that she pulls an all-nighter to bake the cake and decorates it on site) and you really shouldn't freeze fruit and such for a year. We called her before our anniversary and got a replica layer at cost. SO worth it! I've heard mixed reviews about eating frozen cake but we definitely didn't have the freezer space for it. It would be worth it to check with the bakery to see if that's something they could do.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yup, it definitely depends on the cake.  Ours survived quite nicely and deliciously because it was plain yellow cake with buttercream frosting.  Nothing fancy, no fruit or paste or whatever that wouldn't freeze well.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from itsallnew. Show itsallnew's posts

I also ordered a top layer sized cake (with the same decor) for our 1 yr anniversary because saving the top layer didn't sound too appealing to me.  I have heard about many bakeries these days offerring that option.  We ended up having our cake about a week after our anniversary when we were at home visiting my parents for their 35th wedding anniversary!  Ours was a white cake with strawberry in the middle and white buttercream frosting.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Aniya84. Show Aniya84's posts

In Response to Re: How do you save the top layer?:
    [QUOTE]No matter what you wrap it in, it's going to taste like a year-old piece of cake - horrible.  Use that space in your freezer for something else that you're actually going to want to eat and don't bother with the cake.
    Posted by some-guy[/QUOTE]

This is not true.  Obviously, it depends on the type of cake, frosting and filling, but if wrapped properly a plain cake with frosting would freeze fairly well.  Our top layer was plain vanilla bean with white fondant which our baker suggested for freezing (our other layers were all different cakes and had fillings).  Our baker instructed us to freeze the top layer just until the frosting was firm and use a food saver to seal the cake in plastic.  After, we put it in a freezer box that the baker gave us.  We sealed the box in plastic as well.  It took us a total of about 5 minutes, so the process is totally worth it.  The key is to remove all air within the plastic (having a great freezer helps).  A year later our cake tasted just as good as it did on our wedding night!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Konditormeister told us that the chocolate freezes and tastes the best after a year, so we did chocolate with mocha frosting for our top layer. Not sure if that is just true for konditormeister cakes or for other bakeries too. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tara0313. Show tara0313's posts

I saved ours and we actually just enjoyed it on our one year 8/21/11!

I wrapped mine in Glad cling wrap really tight and then layered with tin foil, saran wrap, tin foil a few times. It came out excellent. It stayed really well for a year!