Last Minute Items

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdw1003. Show kdw1003's posts

Last Minute Items

My wedding is almost 40 days away.  I'm wondering from past and present brides, what were those last minute things you thought of and wished you had taken care of before hand?  For example, "oh shxxx, I forgot to get a necklace", or "I forgot to order this".  Any ideas are greatly appriciated as I don't want to have that oh shxx moment (although I'm sure I will with something).

Many thanks.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Re: Last Minute Items

Woo hoo! Are you counting down? Making one of those paper chains like in elementary school? :)

I'm kind of neurotic (but in a fun way) so I made a million lists and color-coded things on calendars. In a couple weeks you can start touching base with vendors and going over last minute details (what time the flowers will be delivered, the cake, when hair and makeup will start, etc).

My ceremony and reception were at the same place, so I cordoned off an area in my house to gather wedding stuff (placecards, centerpieces, etc.) so I wouldn't forget to drop off anything at the venue.

You can start making a seating chart soon (I thought this was way fun). Less fun is making sure all of the vendors get paid. Also, put some cash for tips into envelopes and label them, then get someone to hand them out for you at the wedding (you'll be way too busy to think about this).

The knot.com--whilst overflowing with crazy harpies on message boards--has a great to-do timeline. You put your date in and they tell you what to do when. Some things are nuts, like monogramming your napkins by hand using only the finest silk from Mongolia, but you can just check that stuff off and it goes away.

Good luck and have fun!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

I think everyone has an "oh shxxx" moment.  I will share mine since I now find it hilarious...

It was the night before the wedding and I was hanging out at my house, getting all of my last minute things together.  Of course I had my phone glued to my ear and balanced on my shoulder as everyone was calling with last minute good wishes.  So I was in my bathroom, packing my makeup bag for the honey moon, and yep, plop!  Cell phone fell right in the toilet!  I was a very calm bride, but I absolutley lost it.  I called my mother crying hysterically that my cell was the number all of the vendors had and no one would be able to get in touch with me if something went wrong (it was a long series of what if the cake falls and they try to call me, what if the dj gets lost and tries to call me, what if the flowers die and they try to call me, what if DH gets sick and tries to call me - every impossible scenario you can think of).  She and my Dad left the restaurant where they were having dinner to come home and calm me down.  

We laugh about it now, because it was obviously just the nerves that I had done such a great job holding back all coming out.  

So, my last minute tip -- close the toilet seat cover.  Embarassed

ETA:  Congratulations!  I;m married almost five years now (but still lurk).  It flies by.  Enjoy every minute!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

My "Oh shxxx" moment was when I realized that I had packed pretty much nothing for the night of the wedding.  I got back to the hotel after the wedding and realized I didn't have anything necessary to spend the night in the hotel with my new hubby. Pretty much I had packed a nightie and little else (can we see where my thoughts were going while packing Wink); however, contact case, solution, tooth brush, tooth paste, hair brush... all at home!  Luckily one of my bridesmaids had made a survival kit with all of the necessary items so I was in luck. 

If possible pack your overnight bag a few days in advance so you remember the necessities!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

I forgot to pack for the next morning. I changed at the reception hall into comfy clothes to go back to the hotel and packed an overnight bag but forgot about clothes to wear the next morning to the airport. Opps.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shortylicious. Show Shortylicious's posts

I had my bag all packed for the night of the wedding and next morning and sent it off to the hotel. Hours later, when I was getting dressed in my gown, I realized I had packed my spanx into the overnight bag too! I sent my brother over to get the bag- he had to bring the whole bag back as he had no idea what spanx were- and so all my planning was moot. Too funny!

My real moment though was when I realized how quickly the big day goes by! All that planning and it's over in the blink of an eye. Make sure you have tons of fun and assign someone else to take over planning (& plan execution) on the day. Good luck!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I made the mistake of believing that it would be impossible for me to forget any part of my wedding attire.  I made a list of things to do the day of the wedding, but didn't write a list of "obvious" things to bring that I knew I couldn't forget.  I left my veil at home, and my husband to be risked life and limb to race home to get it despite my saying it was too late and not worth it.  He made it back, by some miracle, in time.

Word to the wise, you can forget even the most obvious things.  Write it all down while you have a clear head.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rirlo01. Show Rirlo01's posts

I forgot hose, called my mom to grab some for me and said, "Eh, forget it.  Who needs them?" when she couldn't find my size.  I was happier with bare legs.  :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

I didn't have an "oh crap" moment the day of the wedding, at least I can't remember it now!  Well, we did have some stress last minute... like I kind of put off finalizing our ceremony until the week before the wedding.  I probably should have worked on that a little sooner.

But the one thing I had trouble with was I could NOT sleep the few days before the wedding.  The Thur night before, i got like zero sleep.  I was a total mess.  My sister and I went to get our nails done Friday morning and I was so tired, I almost fell in the pedicure bath!  Luckily my brother way staying with us and he gave me a sleeping pill Friday night (before our Sat wedding) otherwise I would have been a MISERABLE bride!

My advice:  have sleeping pills in the house for the night before the wedding.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I took an Advil PM. :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I had two drinks at dinner and slept like a baby.  :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdw1003. Show kdw1003's posts

Thanks Ladies, these are great things to think about!  I surely will have to take some Advil PM the night before....my mind always races when my head hits the pillow.  My FI, on the other hand, falls asleep within 3 seconds of his head hitting the pillow.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvbug721. Show luvbug721's posts

What a great thread. Keep em coming ladies...I'm writing all this down.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Well then I will add another ...  We were married in a church so we had picked out the readings and everything.  The one thing I forgot was who would walk down the aisle together.  And who would walk the MOG and grandmothers.  I pulled that all together 5 minutes before the rehearsal.

Of course it all worked out fine and in the end it doesn't really matter who walked  down the aisle together but it would have been nice to have that planned out before we got to the rehearsal.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYEBride2010. Show NYEBride2010's posts

I have two, not really oh shxx but just kind of things to think about.  I stayed overnight with a girlfriend at the hotel in Plymouth before the wedding so Fri am I took a bath and while drying off I got Auntie Flo....So called my mom and sister to bring supplies!  Luckily it ended up being I was just spotting from stress so it didn't ruin anything! ;-)  And two was when I was putting my dress on in the room (with everyone watching) and it was too big in the bust!  Even after having cups put in it! Turns out I had lost weight so it was too big up there, luckily my dress was corsetted so I could just pull it tighter and I had a strapless with me and put it on, pinned it to the dress and didn't think about it for the rest of the night. Oh and my mom had had the same problem the night before....so if you stress and forget to eat, try the dress on a day or two before so you can fix it or be prepared with a bra or undergarmet.  Good luck!  The 40 days goes by soo fast!! And then once your married it goes by even faster!  Enjoy the moments!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You got AF on your WEDDING DAY?!  Darn that witch!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYEBride2010. Show NYEBride2010's posts

In Response to Re: Last Minute Items:
    [QUOTE]You got AF on your WEDDING DAY?!  Darn that witch!!!
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

LOL!! Yes I did!!! And I planned wicked carefully with my pills too!! But it was light just while I was getting ready....she was gone by the time the ceremony was over, luckily!!Cool

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, man, that was too close!  Glad it worked out - honeymooning with AF...well, let's just say three's a crowd. LOL!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYEBride2010. Show NYEBride2010's posts

Yeah I definately got lucky.  And our honeymoon was a week after so even if I had gotten it, it would have time to clear up before the honeymoon.  Not to mention it was 90* every day in St. Martin so I would have been very p**sed to have it down there in that heat.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

I forgot to order corsages for the readers.  Good thing DH was working for a florist at the time and she did them the afternoon before.

I wore a one-piece "foundation garment" under my dress and I forgot to bring a regular bra to wear at the bonfire afterward.  I had to decide whether to continue to wear the torture device into the late night or to go without.

We needed to be at our venue about 3 hours before the start time and didn't make any plans for something to eat.  We ended up asking someone to go get some subs. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I had to drive through a torrential downpour to get to my mom's house to get my dress and my MOH, then drive back through the torrential downpour to the rehearsal dinner- but had to stop to drop off MPH's boyfriend because MIL said he couldn't come to the RD. We were well over an hour late and I was furious, good thing my MOH was there to talk to DH on the phone.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from AllaboutthePATRIOTS. Show AllaboutthePATRIOTS's posts

i'm getting married in 10 days!! OMG!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

Congratulations AllAbout!

One little piece of advice no one gave me... Pack extra underwear. I had planned on wearing the underwear that my bm's got me at my bachelorette party. Unfortunately (and I didn't notice this until that morning), they bought me a size 2! I was staying at my parents' house and didn't have anything else. I dug through my drawers and found some blue underwear from high school! So yes, I wore my high school underwear on my wedding day. (On the plus side, my high school underwear still *fit* on my wedding day!) If it wasn't for that, I was going to have to send my brother over to my house to find a pair while I was getting my hair done. Because that wouldn't have been awkward at all!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdw1003. Show kdw1003's posts

I just wrote down that I have to cancel mail delivery before we go away for 2 weeks and also put together tip envelopes (another post in itself).  The list keeps getting longer...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

my oh sh!! moment happened when DH and I got to our room to go to bed (which is all that we did b/c we were so tired!)  and I realized that I didn't bring anything to wear to bed!  I guess some people really plan an outfit, but I didn't even think of it b/c I was so caught up in what would happen the day of, that I forgot about that night.  Thinking about it now, I also forgot to pack something to wear the next day and borrowed a shirt from my MOH.