OT- Dutch Oven recipes?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: OT- Dutch Oven recipes?

Jim, cool post, thanks!  Maybe I'll try biscuits in the fireplace...how neat would that be?!  I think I saw an open fire episode of Paula Dean in which she made a bunch of things in a dutch oven that way now that you mention it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jim-in-Littleton. Show Jim-in-Littleton's posts

In Response to Re: OT- Dutch Oven recipes?:
    [QUOTE]Hm! - Am I THAT old, that I don't get it? Dutch oven recipes - don't think there is much to giggle about - really. What is so funny, Pinkey? Please tell us. - Pingo In Response to Re: OT- Dutch Oven recipes? :
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_oven_(practical_joke)

:p

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jim-in-Littleton. Show Jim-in-Littleton's posts

[QUOTE]Jim, cool post, thanks!  Maybe I'll try biscuits in the fireplace...how neat would that be?!  I think I saw an open fire episode of Paula Dean in which she made a bunch of things in a dutch oven that way now that you mention it.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

There are dozens of Web sites that tell you how to use one for cooking over open flame or using coals.  It's easy enough to do once you get the hang of it.

When I go camping I take 2 dutch ovens as my camp cookware.  No other frying pans, pots, etc... I can cook a stew and make bisquits for dinner, poach (or fry) eggs for breakfast along with bacon and toast, etc...

In your conventional oven, the elements (or gas) kick on to maintain a constant temp.  The heavy cast iron does that job for you with a dutch oven.  As the fire/coal temps fluctuate, the cast iron radiates heat and keeps the internal temp pretty constant. (Just don't be tempted to lift the lid very often... ;) )

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rirlo01. Show Rirlo01's posts

I get it, Prill; I had the same thought and laughed when I first saw the discussion.  :)  But I'm not explaining it! 

ETA: Just realized Jim posted a link.  Ha! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

[QUOTE]Hm! - Am I THAT old, that I don't get it? Dutch oven recipes - don't think there is much to giggle about - really. What is so funny, Pinkey? Please tell us. - Pingo In Response to Re: OT- Dutch Oven recipes? :
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

I didn't get it either until Jim posted the link.

but on a related note, has anyone heard of the "Better Marriage Blanket"?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from venforknot. Show venforknot's posts

Prill you're not alone- I've been avoiding this post because of some post-traumatic stress involving a dutch oven incident that occurred about ten years ago on a sunday morning with an ex-bf. ;-) Glad to see it's actually about cooking instead. Laughing hahahaha

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rirlo01. Show Rirlo01's posts

Do tell, PK! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

[QUOTE]Do tell, PK! 
    Posted by Rirlo01[/QUOTE]

Basically, it's a blanket that has carbon fibers in it so that it absorbs any *ahem* ordors that might occur.
    The first time I saw a commercial, I thought it was a fake ad, like the ones on SNL.

It's going to be my go-to bachelor/bachelorette party gift!

www.bettermarriageblanket.com

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rirlo01. Show Rirlo01's posts

That's a riot!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Jim, I'll try something this Spring (when having a fire in the fireplace won't actually s_ck all the heat out of our house!) and post the result.  Thanks, again!

Ohhhh, that dutch oven.  Funny!  And, Pink, I've heard of the Better Marriage Blanket, but I thought it was a joke, too.  It really exists?  An odor absorbing carbon laced blanket?  Hilarious!  I wonder if it works...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

I'm late to this party, but add me to the low brow group who giggled at the thread title. :)

I have this awesome beer battered fish fry recipe that I make in my dutch oven and I don't even want to get fish fries in restaurants now!

You need:
    fish (I like cod)
    one cup of beer
    a cup and then a bit of that bisquick pancake mix (don't make it according to the package)
    an egg
    a ton of oil, maybe a couple bottles of veggie oil

You're using the dutch oven on the stovetop, so put enough oil in it to cover your fish and let it get really hot, around 350* if you have a thermometer. If you don't, drop a bit of your batter (that you're about to make) into the oil and if it's hot enough it'll cook right away.

Batter:
    Mix an egg, the beer, and the dry bisquick mix in a bowl. With leftover bisquick, sprinkle both sides of your fish.

Cook:
    Dunk each piece of fish into your batter and then drop it into the dutch oven. Cook, turning once, about 4 min. Delicious!

Funny story relating to this recipe: I went to the grocery store to get some cod. I'm not from here, and I apparently pronounce cod like a person from Boston says card (cahd).

I asked the guy for cod, and he blinked, stared at me, and said, "You get yer Stop& Shop cahds at customer service." It took awhile, but we got there. Now DH has to ask for the cod though (or cawd, as the crazy Yankees say it). Laughing

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

mmm... that sounds like a great beer batter recipe.

but I think we'll use our deep-fryer for that. We haven't used it in a while!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

WPP, we pronounce "cod" like you would "odd." 

Your post gave me a serious hankering for some beer battered fish!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

[QUOTE]WPP, we pronounce "cod" like you would "odd."  Your post gave me a serious hankering for some beer battered fish!

After writing that recipe, I really want to make it this week!

DH keeps trying to get me to talk like I live here. :) What's  funny is that I say odd differently too...more ahhd than awd. And I keep asking for pop (instead of soda) in restaurants. There's no hope, I will forever be an upstate New Yorker. Tongue out

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Funny! 

Hey, I tried a crazy sounding appetizer in San Fran (at the restaurant "Two"), and it was awesome.  Deep fried sardines.  Soooooooooooo good.  I tried it at home and replicated it pretty well, but I used an electric frypan.  Next time, dutch oven.  Thanks!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

WPP- that's too funny. Sometimes DH is misunderstood in restaurants because his lingering Baltimore accent makes "milk" sound like "melk" and "vanilla" sound like "vanalla".

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pink, have you tried your dutch oven yet?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from flychick. Show flychick's posts

I'm a little late to the party, but I read this post last weekend and tried the Cog au Vin recipe that mezzogal posted and as someone said -it did rock, thanks for posting that recipe!  While it took a little over an hour to get all the prep done before you put it in the oven, it was actually really easy.  Hubby loved it (and he's usually the chef in our house), house smelled awesome and the leftovers were even better.  Also, thanks to JiminLittleton for the history of the dutch oven. I never really knew what to do with our Le Creuset, now I do.  Not sure I'm brave enough to try it over an open flame but maybe someday....

ps - i also had a little giggle on the "other" dutch oven....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hey, flychick, long time, no see! 

Yes, wasn't it easy?  I think there's a "cooking is so hard" myth out there propogated to garner more praise for "difficult" dishes!  LOL  Honestly, no matter how many steps there are each one is easy.

So glad you tried it and everyone loved it!!  And, yeah, the leftovers are even better.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Kar- yes! my post about the Coq au Vin is at the bottom of the first page. It was fantastic.

I also made beef stroganoff last night and it was amazing!

Season 1.5lbs stew beef pieces in pepper, salt and garlic powder, dust lightly with all purpose flour.
    Melt 2tbs butter and 2tbs olive oil in the bottom of the dutch oven
    Brown the beef quickly on each side, remove (leave drippings in dutch oven) and set aside.
    Sautee 1 chopped med. onion and 1 cup chopped mushrooms in the dutch oven for a few minutes, until tender
    Add the beef back into the dutch oven and pour in one can of cream of mushroom soup and one can of beef broth.
    Cover and simmer on low heat for 30 mins.
    Remove from heat and stir in one cup sour cream.
    Serve over cooked egg noodles.

It's far from low-fat, but it is delicious!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That's not your Stouffer's Beef Strogonoff, lol!  Sounds great!!  So glad you've taken the plunge!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

[QUOTE]That's not your Stouffer's Beef Strogonoff, lol!  Sounds great!!  So glad you've taken the plunge!!

LOL, yes, tastes much better than Stouffer's! And it was pretty easy.

I can happily say that we've got a real feel for the dutch oven now, and we bought a bunch of broth and stuff to keep on hand so that we can play around with it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from flychick. Show flychick's posts

Hi Kar - I still lurk on occasion :) I think the french names on the recipe only further the "cooking is hard" myth.  If Coq Au Vin was called Chicken Leg Stew I don't think I would've waited so many years to make it!  Pink - I wrote down your recipe too and I think I may even have it in me to try a Beef Bourguignon one of these days.  

Happy Cooking & Happy Friday everyone
    -flychick 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That's great, Pink!  I order organic veggie broth by the case from Amazon. Eden-something-or-other.  :)

Flychick, I love it, "Chicken Leg Stew."  Definitely NOT scary sounding!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I agree, even "Beef Bourguignon" sounds way more complicated than "Burgundy Style Beef Stew"!

When I took a French 101 class in college, I was amazed how so many restaurants make something like green beans sound fancy by just calling them "haricots verts"! Before I really thought they were preparing the beans in a different way, but no!